Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: There Is Only WAR

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by WelshyJT

Take a look at the studios former work....

Movie shovelware and generally horrendous games...

UH OH, my beloved 40k will be butchered once again

Yeah, my first thought as well. But it seems they ahve been doing some hiring of laid of MMO developers (which are abundant at this time sadly), so it might turn out ok after all.

For now they are getting the benifit of the doubt.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

as much as i hate to admit, the F2P idea allied with the lore was effing brilliant, buuuuuuuuuut, charging for each faction in separated ways.. hmmm.. i dont know, im curious to know how much would cost to unlock all all game versus the market price of one AAA game in all plataforms. ALSO

dreaded cash shops? (no, pls no)

separated servers for each plataform?

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Owwwwww.....my 40k.....this isn't good news. Everything about this has ~EPIC FAIL~ written all over it. Its blatant pay-to-win and isn't even trying to attempt to pretend its f2p.

It doesn't even matter if the game is good, thats enough alone to kill it. 1 pay player = 5 f2p players....that means 1 decent p2w player = 10-15 f2p payers in the real world.

*Sigh*....I Agree with the previous posters who said "I don't thing we'll ever see another good 40k game" except I expand that to the entire Warhammer Ip....40k or Fantasy.

~I am Many~

• bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87

pay money to kill hordes of f2pers as a dark angel space marine......

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Oh,guess what?another company trying to make an MMO from the Warhammer IP.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i would have payed a box price and sub to just have a BALANCED game.

this went from my most anticipated to... not even going to bother installing... in a what... 24 hour span.....

I thought they were going to learn from WAR's biggest flaw (2 factions)  a 5 faction war for superiority would have been AMAZING.  instead its pay-2-win garbage.

what a waste of an amazing IP

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Miguel Caron has bombarded us with so much info about the game- iam speechless!

the fact the a Wk40 mmo is in the works again is still trying to sink in here!!!!

Mr. Caron (Funcom-Conan!?)- If its as spectacular as  TSW = COUNT ME IN!!!!!

the one thing that stuck to mind here 'orc only  free playable race and will take 5 orcs to take down a space marine due to more free gamers = GENIOUS!!!

2015 cant come soon enough- WWAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!

• ZilegoZilego Member UncommonPosts: 10
    So this is going to be another pay to win game? If it takes 5 f2p players to take down one p2p guy, how in the hell is that going to be fun? What if you don't pay and you come across a squad of 4 people who do pay. Does it take a whole raid group to kill them? If you play an orc, your just going to be a bag of meat who just dies over and over and never gets a kill. I don't see people willing to play like that.
  • soundsonicsoundsonic Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Dark eldar rulz :))  and you've got a favorite faction?
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    The F2P model is a joke, there is little reason to want to play a game using these tactics. If it isnt a hybrid model then it wont fly. I can say I am glad they told us this at the start so I dont even have to try to track this game now, thanks!

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Sounds potentialy interesting but we'll have to see what the combat system is liked. To represent the feel of fire-arms/futuristic ranged weapons well you really need a mouse-aiming system not tabbed-targeting and I REALLY dislike 3rd person view when dealing with modern/sci-fi warfare and ranged weaponry. If it doesn't give at least the option of a 1st person view I might have to give a pass.

Yeah I know...most MMO'ers live and die by 3rd person......but  "bang-bang" is supposed to have a fundementaly different feel/experience then hacking something from 2 feet away.

IMO if they are really doing it right they'll switch from 1st to 3rd depending upon what type of weapon is equiped and let the players choose to turn it off and handle thier preferences manualy if they like as well.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

People thinking that this model will fail are grossly underestimating the fandom that WH40k holds.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Let's look at 40k the miniatures games.  You purchased a core set of rules and perhaps the starter box.  The rest of the game was purchased bit by bit.  You want a different army?  Buy a set of rules plus various miniatures.  Want that leader figure?  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  This is their business model. 

Check out the prices at  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp?setLocale=en_US&gclid=CKTml4SE37cCFUThQgod5B0Aig

$115.00 for a wraithknight miniature:  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2060062a

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Let's look at 40k the miniatures games.  You purchased a core set of rules and perhaps the starter box.  The rest of the game was purchased bit by bit.  You want a different army?  Buy a set of rules plus various miniatures.  Want that leader figure?  Be prepared to spend a lot of money.  This is their business model. 

Check out the prices at  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp?setLocale=en_US&gclid=CKTml4SE37cCFUThQgod5B0Aig

$115.00 for a wraithknight miniature:  http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2060062a

I own at least a 6000 point wood elf army and a 12000 point greenskin army....

the cost means nothing to me.

the fairness of the game means something to me.  I for one dont see any amusement in killing off 3-4 free players without breaking a sweat. 

I would much rather it be a DAOC like game with 4 playable factions and 1 wildcard faction.  If they want to represent unit size, have an ork players model be 3-5 ork boys that travel together.

the game already reeks of pay-to-win, that isnt competitive, its boring.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    As soon as I read free to play I lost interest. I want a game that is designed around being fun, not designed around ways to nickle and dime me. Or in the case of NWO, try and become a millionaire by selling lemonade for $1000 a cup.

empty wish since online games are all going to be f2p from now on with tricky cash shop.

• TotemicDruidTotemicDruid Member Posts: 2

Guys I am hopeful! A game which appears to mirror Planetside, but with the Rich Lore of WH:40K is a fantastic idea, plus it has the added PvE content. 

With regards to the F2P model, people have to get that life isnt free and things cost money. Do they seriously think the programmers are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts??

A single Ork couldnt take a Space Marine, so lets not get into the idiotic calls for balance, simply because you dont want to sub/pay for a better gaming experience. If any of you know even the slightest bit about the lore of this game its that balance is there, so I dont want to see something similar to "Dude! The emperor  just got wasted by an Eldar Guardian"".

I played SWG for years and even up to its end, to make way for SWTOR, it never went free to play; which is something SWTOR didnt last 6 months doing. In short if its good pay for it, if you arent that interested, but enjoy a zerg here and there, take advantage of the F2P model?

With that said I agree with the above comments that limiting the F2P race may be a tad restrictive. Of the races indicated Imperial Guard, Guardians and Heretics are all an obvious F2P meat-shield replacement :)

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Only able to play orcs with the f2p option?

Pass. 

Who's retarded idea was that?

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by TotemicDruid

Guys I am hopeful! A game which appears to mirror Planetside, but with the Rich Lore of WH:40K is a fantastic idea, plus it has the added PvE content. 

With regards to the F2P model, people have to get that life isnt free and things cost money. Do they seriously think the programmers are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts??

A single Ork couldnt take a Space Marine, so lets not get into the idiotic calls for balance, simply because you dont want to sub/pay for a better gaming experience. If any of you know even the slightest bit about the lore of this game its that balance is there, so I dont want to see something similar to "Dude! The emperor  just got wasted by an Eldar Guardian"".

I played SWG for years and even up to its end, to make way for SWTOR, it never went free to play; which is something SWTOR didnt last 6 months doing. In short if its good pay for it, if you arent that interested, but enjoy a zerg here and there, take advantage of the F2P model?

With that said I agree with the above comments that limiting the F2P race may be a tad restrictive. Of the races indicated Imperial Guard, Guardians and Heretics are all an obvious F2P meat-shield replacement :)

Dude! The emperor just got wasted by an Eldar Guardian!

No, but seriously, if you actually think that barring certain classes in what they're calling a "F2P game" is acceptable then I don't think you understand the difference between F2P and P2P. The company either needs to have a balanced F2P with a fair cash shop (cosmetics only) or it needs to be subscription based.

This thing with being on the rails with what their pay model really is, isn't acceptable.

Smile

• imran_tayabimran_tayab Member Posts: 5
    No Tau? :(
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Its been in production for years at this point.  Anyway, Looks like a good idea, hopefully it is done well and with good graphics.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Waiting to see how much things cost before complaining too much,also to see if the game is worth bothering with at all.

But really they already lost me as I can't play an Inquisitor and consign the Heretic and Xeno worlds to the holy flame!!!

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65

An MMORPG with the Warhammer 40K IP, EVE like economy,  and a combat system that's a mix between Space Marine and Epic Games’ Gears of War....

Sounds great, I'll be keeping an eye out for this one

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

I'm a massive fan of the Warhammer franchise, as well as WarHammer: 40k .

I can kind of understand the idea of the orks being FTP lore wise to generate higher numbers, but it's a terrible idea in terms of player satisfaction. I approve of a previous post about giving the lower ranks to FTP players too, scouts and grunts etc. To offer some diversity but not offering the full experience of the more advanced players, where inevitably the fun will be. Maybe even possibly giving at least one extra race to try for FTP's. 

I'm concerned that on top of the restrictions to orks alone,  that we have to further pay per race.... now of course costs could ease my concern slightly, if it was £10, $10 per race. and providing it was a permanent unlock, I think that's justifiable. but if we're looking at anything over $15- per race... then we will be looking at a greed based developer team, and there's no way im getting involved . 

Cosmetics are a given for any FTP model. Weapon skins, armor's ship addons etc...

Right now, they are calling this a premium FTP model. I disagree, right now this is pay over and over to get stronger model.

If this was premium FTP, I'd expect something similar to,  Free, Silver, Gold memberships.

Free- limited  

Silver - Average sub price-  Upgraded  - Some Extras (maybe not most popular races/classes)

Gold - Full Sub Price - Full Access + Extra Benefits (Discounted CS, exclusive skins, and or advanced classes)

I am not a FTP hater I expect FTP players to be restricted !  So don't freak out on me over that, I just think right now, they are screaming greed and they will scare people away.

It all comes down to prices.... I'm negatively cautious of their direction. FTP is fine, but is dangerously hard to get right. 

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    booooo i played tyranids on the table.  i want to play them in the game :(
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Rusque

I think I might have to resign myself and accept that there will never be a proper WH40K mmo in my lifetime.

Are there no development companies out there with love for the WH40K universe that want to make it right? Seriously.

QFT