Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: What We Want to Know About EQNext

Comments

• ShorunShorun Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I just hope they leave out PvP as a whole. Everquest 1 and 2 were PvE games, for a PvE audience - they should focus on what they're good at: lots of interesting classes and raids.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Spezz
    Will we get a /pizza command?

yes

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I want tab targeting.  I want a leveling / skilling system that actually means something, none of the recent minute increments of advancement.  I want a large variety of races and classes (skill sets) that are very distinct and dramatically change the feeling of the game from the other.  I want comparable reward systems for all play styles.  No more of this raid or die, pvp or die, craft or die crap that dominates the genre currently.  If I am casual, hardcore, crafter, adventurer, raider, explorer, quester, puzzle solver, politician, socializer or role-player, I want to see equitable rewards for all of them.

I want to see real world housing, mounts, non-instanced dungeons and buildings / homes and cities.  I want to see free form flight for magic users and magical mounts.  I want to see as many adventure areas under water and above ground as there are on the ground and below ground.

Most of all, I don't want to see lazy development that completely depends on players to make content.  I want a plethora of professionally made content to rival anything that players can make.

I agree with most of this.  I would also like to see having to acquire your new skills in some way.  Some vendor bought, some trainer acquired, most crafted.  One big thing for me is being able to buy things from the vendors that players have recently sold to them.  I got a lot of spell components and crafting supplies from vendor diving in the original game.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'd like to know what NON-COMBAT activities will be like, as imho a true sandbox should allow you to play an adventurer, a warrior but also a crafter, a bard, a farmer, a politician or anything in between.

I also really hope that they will improve on GW2 dynamic events system, especially with more long-term consequences.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Will it be like eq2?

If so not interested.

I am hoping it turns out like classic EQ1 but get the feeling it turns out like 2013 EQ2 and Im not interested in that either.....

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Shorun
    I just hope they leave out PvP as a whole. Everquest 1 and 2 were PvE games, for a PvE audience - they should focus on what they're good at: lots of interesting classes and raids.

i really don't understand all the hate for pvp. 

especially if they do it in a way that it doesn't affect anyone that doesn't want to participate... 

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I remember playing EQ1 on my parent's PC, I was 10 - 12 years old, lol. I'm looking forward too EQN
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by evilized

especially if they do it in a way that it doesn't affect anyone that doesn't want to participate... 

Not sure how you do that.  PvP in a game means balancing classes for PvP at the very least, then balancing equipment with at least an eye on PvP effects etc.  In short compromises will be made.  Enough of these compromises and both the PvE and PvP players will have a high level of dissatisfaction. IMHO it is best to separate the two at the game level. Some games for PvP some games for PvE.  ..... and I really hope this one is for PvE with PvP as a side dish at most.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Not sure how you do that.  PvP in a game means balancing classes for PvP at the very least, then balancing equipment with at least an eye on PvP effects etc.  In short compromises will be made.  Enough of these compromises and both the PvE and PvP players will have a high level of dissatisfaction. IMHO it is best to separate the two at the game level. Some games for PvP some games for PvE.  ..... and I really hope this one is for PvE with PvP as a side dish at most.

Pritty sure smed mention they wernt putting PvP as a side project for EQNext im gonna assume they be doing both equally and they be seperated bt PvE and PvP servers. Also in EQ2 they was seperate dmg for each spell agaist PvE and PvP this allows them to balance better. They can make a wizzy spell hit for 10k on PvE but in PvP it only does 2k and so on. If a spell seem OP in PvP they can tweak it and it wont effect PvE side of things atall.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Senadina
    If they take 1 thing from EQ, I hope it's leveling up skills. Using a sword SHOULD make you better at using swords etc...I really miss that form of progression.

You know, THIS is exactly what MMOs are missing now a days. i was playing oblivion recently, and the system works kind of like that...and I thought to myself..."Hey, thats really immersive from a charecter progression perspective, didnt UO have that as well?"...so I researched a few "newer" MMOs that had it...and guess what...im fully intrenched in Vanguard atm....after all my time in WoW, GW2, SWTOR, TSW, Rift, im having the most "refreshing/charecter relating" time with Vanguard...go figure.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Will it be like eq2?

If so not interested.

You're in luck, we have known it wouldn't be anything like EQ2 for years.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by killahh
    Death with meaning.

in ever quest when you died your court with your item stay there and then you had to go get it that's what I'd like to see the new version.

Not only did it foster smart playing, it promoted community, grouping, friendship, and reputation.

Without meaningful death, you have just another Crap game

Problem with Death with Meaning is that everyone avoids death at all costs, no risks taken because the rewards will never be equal to what a death/deaths could mean. Everyone farms easy spots because the risk vs reward is in the players favor there. In EQ1, a group of 45's wouldn't try to go to the frenzied ghoul in lguk, even though it was around their level. No, they were farming low blues somewhere else.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    I'd be satisfied with a Vanguard 2 really.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

You know what makes a great mmo?

Having choices. Why not put all of "IT" in the game. Want action combat with no tab target or maybe you want target assist on? Make an option to turn it off or on.

Make it a persistent world, no zoning, no instances. I miss camps.

Make it so you CAN solo; however, you get a % of bonus xp for everyone in your party, so it makes partying better choice.

Don't make the Holy Trinity required, but give a bonus if you fill a needed spot like healer or tank or maybe a bonus to xp or loot rolls depending on how much % of damage you do in a party. Maybe give us a choice of a buff type before we leave. More xp, more loot, more gold type buffs, so if you want to lvl fast you can.

Crafting should be fun and useful at all levels. Give options to do "fast crafting" and it makes less quality items or "true crafting" which may take a lot longer but you make epic items. Ability to make up your own recipes/schematics. Maybe have a board with player requests on it and you hunt down some materials to make that so called "Best Tank on you server"  his favorite item and he is using a shield you made. Crafting Legendary items that may require you to be a master in more than one profession. Maybe once you become a Crafting Legend you can build your own blacksmith shop and have other newbs use it for a cheaper price but you get a cut of their profits.

All mounts and pets should be learned or tamed . You have to tame a horse or learn to summon tougher minions not just ding a level and BAM!

Make the game challenging, NOT HARD AND FRUSTRATING, but challenging. I want to fear death and actually care about my rewards and levels gained.

Every race has their own starting city. or you can choose what city you want to start in depending on faction or class choice. eg. Necromancers can start in ALL evil cities or their own racial city.

Anyways, it's all about choices. Give us choices on how we play and then you got a hit.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Will it be carebear? (no death penalties, instant travelling, dungeon instancing etc...)

Or not? (full/partial loot PvP, no insta travel, no instancing, friendly fire etc...)

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Bring back the holy trinity ! I know its a game but would you go into battle lopsided with just one type of tune. No you need the tank you need the heals, the dps and support. thats what makes a game great. I know its not always great everytime you log on. But thats not the games fault, its our fault. Thats why we join guilds and find good people to play with. Hell I use to play eq2 from midnight to 7 am . I found a player that had some crazy hours like me and we did alot together. Miss you Norwood!
  • BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

Will it be carebear? (no death penalties, instant travelling, dungeon instancing etc...)

Or not? (full/partial loot PvP, no insta travel, no instancing, friendly fire etc...)

Bring back the death penalties. Give us zones that are pvp. then zones that arent.  Traveling say by horse from point a to b or a to c cool. But in a jungle zone. No. Let it be rough and a pain in the ass. Sometimes when people complain after playing 15 hours. Thats a good thing. And if you want to pay cash for items.... DONT MAKE IT A PAY TO WIN GAME. xbox got greedy with the nickle and diming . And i think they blew it . BIG TIME

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Will it be like eq2?

If so not interested.

I'm with you on that. I liked EQ2 fine in 2004 or whatever, but these days it bores the hell out of me. There is an impressive array of features, but the Combat and Theme Park structure are as fun as a day at the DMV.

My friends play EQ2 religiously, but I really hope EQNext won't be much like EQ2 at all.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

My definition of sandbox is having an open class system where you can terraform land and gather resources to build a house anywhere other than town or city property which is only in the starter zone.

I want to see a spot and go a house would look good there and build it. Build mountains and level land. Plant trees, write my name in a rare material on my land etc.

I never really got the FFA PvP being a sandbox deal. I don't think any game really got it right 100% maybe bits here and there were good. I think that EQNext will have some sandbox elements but not really being a sandbox by my definition with classes, group content etc.

It maybe a bit like UO with the housing placement etc and I have a feeling it may be button mashing combat system with a lot of instancing and some areas level scale. I want it to be more of a VG2 if failing that be an improved version of EQ1 which of course it's going to be. If it's going to be an improved version of EQ2, you can forget about it.

It maybe something completely new altogether. Time will tell what it will bring.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Xthos

What I want to know:

1.  Instances - If their is any, and if so hopefully not over used.

2.  World - Is it more open, and not the generic railed quest hub that has become the norm, where you trip over quest givers.  I want to explore, find camps, dungeons, rare spawns, and bring back the roaming high level dangers, they brought excitement.

3. Dungeons - If their are instances, at least make it 50% open/non-instanced.  I would like it to be 100%, but heck 50% would be a huge departure from what we get now.

4. Game play - I know action is the new rage, which is fine for FPS type lobby mmos, but I want what I call a real mmo.  I am fine with a dodge or whatever, but I want more traditional game play on this front.  I want their to be more focus on what I thought made EQ special, was the precision/tactics, along with the small amount of time to be more social....This would also go more along with their being a role system....If you can change your roles up or whatever, I am open to, but for all the trinity hate, I actually like it.

5. Crafting/Harvesting - This may be the trickiest part, if they are bringing more sandbox back, then how do they balance it with raids/dungeons.  Do they do like SWG/Vanguard to where you get a lot of things raiding that go into crafting to make things better?  Do they maybe offer comparable items, but slightly different....Is their some decay?  Harvesting - I would love a system somewhat like Vanguards, with common, rare, and ultra rare materials...I would be ok with maybe some sort of SWG system also...  If crafting is not going to be worth doing, then none of this really matters and they should maybe limit it to some kind of small buffs items, like food....No sense in wasting time on something that is 'crafting', in name only.  Like WAR on release, they had crafting, but it was the worst implementation I had ever seen in a MMO.

6. Housing - I would like to see a housing area system, like Vanguard, where you have many areas throughout a big world, with cheaper lots, more expensive lots, and house building choices...This would be a big undertaking and I could see it not being in the cards, due to taking away from the game too much, or launching later.  What I do not care to see, and this is personal, as a lot of people do like it, is instanced housing, it feels more like a bank box I can decorate....I personally would just rather more bank space if that is going to be what they do.

7. Leveling/AA/XP - I would love to have leveling slowed down a lot again, I don't see a huge need to maybe bring back the 'hell' or double XP levels every 5 levels, but a slow down would be nice.  A alternative to this would be bringing back AAs, but to make them as more of a function to leveling, but make it so people do not maybe feel that it is like that...Since they would be 'max' level....The big drawback to this is that you will probably get people feeling things are alienated and people are being snobs because they cannot play due to lack of certain AAs in a group or some such...I would prefer a slow down period, along with AAs....I also would be good with skills, and no levels, like UO, where you have a cap.

8. Payment model - Pretty sure this will be f2p, I would of preferred p2p, or even b2p.  I just hope they do not make it p2w and ruin it.  I also would like to see a quality sub option, that pretty much eliminates the cash shop.  I doubt that happens, but I really dislike cash shops, it feels like they are trying to drag every nickel and dime out of you they can in a lot of games.  Not all do that, but when you make a f2p or b2p game, you have to make people want to buy things, and often that comes at an expense of balance imo.

9.  Starter areas/races - I hope they make this like EQ, where we have many different looking and feeling areas where races start.  I miss this, often we get a story that explains why you only have 1-2 starting areas, so that makes it to where people cannot make this a complaint in a way...We need a world that has many different areas and places to see, no reason to cheap out in this regard.

10.  Travel - I am ok with more limited travel, we probably will not see the OOT boat time travel anymore, but I am ok with druid/wizard/sow/mount travel....If limited portal/PoK travel happens, to where you still have to run and see the world some, I can live with that also.

11.  Raids - Will they be more open, like original EQ Vox/Nagafin raids, will they be 72 person, 48, 32, 24, 20....  I am pretty open to this, but I would like to know what they are going to do.  I want to keep these separate from dungeons, I mean I have seen like 2-3 person 'raids' in some games, I mean that is a half group dungeon!

12.  How are they going to use storybricks?  Does this mean created/instanced content, or maybe even open content that is created, that would be something new.  It would take a continent maybe for players to make things that could be added/approved by SoE, that would be different.  The recent create your content stuff seems to be a big hack/exploit waiting to happen.  I mean it is a start, and things always start out a little bad, but the content with created open content sounds like it could be interesting.

I am sure I have many more questions, but I gotta get off of here, and this is a good start for what I want to know personally.

why even have lots? if the world is large enough they can make it so you could just build your house anywhere. would be really cool if they added the ability to terraform too so you could build a small island in the middle of a lake or something and put your house on it. 

as for the rest of your points,i really hope they pull away from the traditional themepark and go more towards a true sandbox. some little themepark dabs here and there wouldn't be bad but i really hope i don't see any yellow ! over any NPC's head.

That sounds like a good idea untill 20 other people see your island house and think that's a cool idea too.  Everyone adds land to that lake to place a house, keep or castle and soon there is no lake, just a small city.   This happened in Ultima Online.. without plots, the game world gets swallowed by housing and looks horrible.  I hope if there is housing, that there will be plots, and large ones, to preserve the landscape.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    As far as payment model goes, if they copy PlanetSide 2 (which is highly plausable), I wont even waste my time with it.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by killahh
    Death with meaning.

in ever quest when you died your court with your item stay there and then you had to go get it that's what I'd like to see the new version.

Not only did it foster smart playing, it promoted community, grouping, friendship, and reputation.

Without meaningful death, you have just another Crap game

Problem with Death with Meaning is that everyone avoids death at all costs, no risks taken because the rewards will never be equal to what a death/deaths could mean. Everyone farms easy spots because the risk vs reward is in the players favor there. In EQ1, a group of 45's wouldn't try to go to the frenzied ghoul in lguk, even though it was around their level. No, they were farming low blues somewhere else.

Not only that, but if you made a mistake in a group that caused a death, it could easily result in you being black listed on the first infraction and it almost always resulted in nasty behavior / language from the person that died.  People complain about pick up groups in modern games, it was even more hated in EQ due to harsh penalties.  People were even more likely to run around in cliques.  Auctioning your wares before the bazaar was the only real social interaction outside of guilds, now it's all about guilds with little love for random socializing or grouping.

• Nova700Nova700 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Can I get original EQ through SoV, with updated graphics and better combat please?  If so I will cry!
  • ballimarballimar Member Posts: 1
    harsh death penalty slow leveling awesome housing 54 man raids spells like EQ man i hate skill trees.Be able to play it on computer ps4 and atleast log in from phone to talk to friends or maybe check trader.Be able to incorporate your own face into toon as well
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

So...you guys just want it to be Ultima Online...?

Because that's all this story sums up to..