Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: "We have a console for people without internet, it's called a 360"

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by marcuslm

I also can't believe Roku would release a device for watching movies that requires an internet connection to work. It's outrageous!

If you do not have an internet connection, then yes, indeed this device is not for you. Don't buy it. If you are like millions of others that do, then why complain about it? My internet connection is rarely down. If yours is down often, sounds like you need to be complaining about the company that provides your broadband, not MS.

I am more upset about the hefty $500 price tag than the box checking in every so often.

You what lol.. No ones internet is guaranteed a 100% uptime.. what if it does go down.. for some of the reasons i listed above you are left with a consoel you cant use.. and your happy with that? The fact that you cant use your console at that ponit is all on microsoft not your net company.

Well it does appear the Xbox One is not for nearly everyone as it looks like most people will be getting a PS4 if they want a new console.. I am not getting either console but even i can see how much of a restarded mess the xbox one is.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

no more bringing your xbox on a road trip or up to the hunting lodge or some such for the weekend.

bad bad movie on microsoft's part. with all the NSA stuff all over the news and the fact that the camera is 100% always on / system always checking in with MS that's another shot to the gut... completely self inflicted. 

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    They'll have to do a u-turn or at least a compromise. The press they are getting is too bad, they can't keep getting knocked around by Sony, round after round.
  • oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by marcuslm
    I also can't believe Roku would release a device for watching movies that requires an internet connection to work. It's outrageous!If you do not have an internet connection, then yes, indeed this device is not for you. Don't buy it. If you are like millions of others that do, then why complain about it? My internet connection is rarely down. If yours is down often, sounds like you need to be complaining about the company that provides your broadband, not MS.I am more upset about the hefty $500 price tag than the box checking in every so often.

Don't be silly; you could equally claim that "how dare someone release an MMO that requires constant Internet connection ... see, always-on DRM is fine, why complain".

This is about single-player, disc-based, offline games requiring your check in daily with your Microsoft Parole officer to make sure you haven't stolen them or anything.

Obviously, primarily-online stuff requires online. This is about primarily offline stuff requiring nearly-constant online, and Microsoft labeling you a criminal who needs monitored from day 1.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    They'll have to do a u-turn or at least a compromise. The press they are getting is too bad, they can't keep getting knocked around by Sony, round after round.

I can't be the only Xbox owner thinking: "Okay Microsoft, I'll keep my Xbox 360 and buy a PS4"

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

The price tag is the only reason I am not buying one. I just built a $1,400 pc. lol I do like that they have the balls to do what they want to do.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by oGMo

Originally posted by Caldrin
    The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days.

Actually you're wrong, it would be useless anywhere between immediately and 24 hours, not 30 days. It's a 24-hour check-in. That means that if you boot up your XBone to play for the first time today, and your internet is glitchy at the moment, you can't play, because it's been 24 hours. If their servers are down, you can't play.

And how many of us, who have played innumerable MMOs, would ever believe that authentication and servers would be running smoothly and glitch-free from day 1 with no problems, ever? How many Microsoft services have been down for extended periods? (hint: go google "microsoft cloud down")

This is is going to be extremely funny to watch.

Can we coin the term "XBoned", pronounced X-boned, well before everyone gets XBoned?

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Teilo

I can't be the only Xbox owner thinking: "Okay Microsoft, I'll keep my Xbox 360 and buy a PS4"

The Xbox 360 is the only current generation console I own and I am getting the Playstation 4 instead of the Xbox One. I am not sure I will actually keep the Xbox 360 though as I usually don't keep older generation consoles.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

His sub comment pissed me off.  You know how many times I deployed and we set up Halo LAN parties?  6 months out to sea, no Internet in the traditional sense, bored.  Can you imagine?  Same for all those people ground pounding in Afghanistan and Iraq.  You're a vet protecting the country but you can't partake because you're fighting some 3rd world a-holes in some backwater country.

Hell, I sometimes go on business trips where the hotel ISP isn't good enough to sync my console up to.  So now that's scrapped too?  Play on the 360 my butt.  Hackers'll crack this in record time for them leaving this draconian policy at the feet of the innocent.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Teilo

I'll probably cancel my X-box live account and buy my ps4, while my x-box will rot in some cupboard somewhere. I expect that what most people will do. I only play once in a while now anyway.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    What if it is unbelievable. What it MS has no intention of going through with it but is rather doing this for some press? They must see by now that the PS4 is beatng them strait away.

Imagine them continuing this until a month(s) before release and having a statement from Mr. Gates himself about how videos games should be for the people. I doubt this is the case but would probably work.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    I love it. Just makes the decision to NOT buy the XBOX One that much easier.

Yup.. it's a ps4 for this guy. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Ikeda

His sub comment pissed me off.  You know how many times I deployed and we set up Halo LAN parties?  6 months out to sea, no Internet in the traditional sense, bored.  Can you imagine?  Same for all those people ground pounding in Afghanistan and Iraq.  You're a vet protecting the country but you can't partake because you're fighting some 3rd world a-holes in some backwater country.

Hell, I sometimes go on business trips where the hotel ISP isn't good enough to sync my console up to.  So now that's scrapped too?  Play on the 360 my butt.  Hackers'll crack this in record time for them leaving this draconian policy at the feet of the innocent.

See, now you and I see eye to eye on this one. I was in the AF for 8 years and was on deployment many many times with no internet. Sometimes the only thing to do was to sit up and play games on whatever consoles we had around.. one time, we played Golden Eye for N64 on 4 player split screen for an entire weekend. Best. Weekend. Ever. 

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Caldrin

What if someone had internet access.. but then for whatever reason got cut off.. maybe the lines to their street melted, they could not afford it or whatever..

The xbox one would become useless if they didnt have access to the net after 30 days. I dont care too much as I dont play games on colnsoles but its utterly wrong for them to put this kind of system in place..

Saying that I am sure it wont be long before someone hacks the system

I had more power outages this past year than internet outages.....therefore had I owned a Xbox one, and PS4, they would have been unusable for just as long.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

How long do you think the 360 will be in service and Microsoft wont support it?

How long until we hear of people saying XBone is crashing or burning out?

These are the 2 important questions. I think.

Sony gave the ability to the third party developers to put in a DRM to play games. 

So Sony has the DRM system in the PS4

That whole trading, selling, buying used, bugs me with XBone more . I buy used games cause some games arent worth full price. Like come on a few hours of play time and you paid over $60 for a game . that isn't worth full price.

Im still not sure though if the Move for PS4 needs to be on all the time like Kinect. 

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48

Microsoft should put someone else on the front lines selling this...

Interviewer: "Where do you expect games to go?"

MS guy: "Better graphics, online play."

Wow.

Originally posted by drgran

How long until we hear of people saying XBone is crashing or burning out?

These are the 2 important questions. I think.

Sony gave the ability to the third party developers to put in a DRM to play games. 

So Sony has the DRM system in the PS4

That whole trading, selling, buying used, bugs me with XBone more . I buy used games cause some games arent worth full price. Like come on a few hours of play time and you paid over $60 for a game . that isn't worth full price.

Im still not sure though if the Move for PS4 needs to be on all the time like Kinect. 

No, Sony didn't.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/412976/sony-clarifies-no-crackdown-on-disc-trading-but-online-drm-is-possible/

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I would be willing to entertain the thought that microsoft and its dev's saw how diablo3 sold and that now many games require internet, just bowed to the dev's who were looking for new ways to foist drm on consumers. Similar to how the new arm cpu will have drm hardcoded into it. It alows them to be more ptofitable while looking more attractive to prospective dev's.
    Either way, like many here, I will not buy a xbox now.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by drgran

i dont remember where i read it but i think it was an article in which microsoft supossedly said  360 support until 2016 or so.

do not take my word for it, if i find the article ill link it here as an update.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

we have no internet in our living room

If you can afford a 499 dollar xbox one then you can buy a wifi router.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    LOL thats it Im getting a PS4 Im locked in and not changing my mind, fook microsoft and their stinky attitude.
  • oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by oGMo
    This is is going to be extremely funny to watch.

Can we coin the term "XBoned", pronounced X-boned, well before everyone gets XBoned?

Done! Now just start using it everywhere.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    I just have to say that the XBox One looks freaking hideous. Microsoft is on some other stuff all together. At least make the thing look pretty, it's really ugly and I'm surprised that they decided to go with such a design. Maybe it will change? I don't know but that would give it a bit more push at least..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by saurus123

no they are not

if you dont have internet access then you are living on north pole

ohh wait they have internet access there :D

You are really going to try and defend such a premise....fanbois will defend even if the next xbox would have been a green rock...