Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: There Is Only WAR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

When Behaviour Interactive and Games Workshop announced Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade during E3 2013, a lot of people were caught by surprise. Our team managed to catch up to Miguel Caron to find out more about how the game will work and much more. Check out our exclusive preview and then discuss it in the comments.

It’s been awhile since Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium dropped off the face of the earth.  Who knew that just a year after the closure of the THQ studio, we’d be here at E3 2013 talking about a brand new take on the 40K license as an MMO once more.  Only this time?  Well, this time Chaos Marines, Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks will all be duking it out on a massive scale while fending off the AI-controlled Tyranids in a universal struggle for power.  We spent time with Behaviour Studios Head Miguel Caron (formerly of Funcom Montreal and Anarchy Online as well as Age of Conan) talking about the studio’s ambitions and philosophy for their take on Games Workshop’s epic space fantasy.  Today, we have so much to tell you about what Behaviour has in store for all fans of the Waaagh.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade - There Is Only WAR.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

The fact that you have to pay in order to play a Space Marine in a WH40k "free to play" MMO is somewhat hilarious.

Ork Boyz, seriously?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Maybe wit won't look as cartoony like WAR was.  Until we see footage then lets just hope Warhammer will work this time.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I think I might have to resign myself and accept that there will never be a proper WH40K mmo in my lifetime.

Are there no development companies out there with love for the WH40K universe that want to make it right? Seriously.

• goofy3kgoofy3k Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Excited for this glad to see someone else taking on a war 40k MMO. Also I think the free to play Ork Boyz idea is great. And they said its a premium free to play mmo, ie - premium stuff you pay for. Stop complaining and expecting everything to be free and given to you, the same mentality as people who play mmos and expect to be given everything for nothing.
  • soundsonicsoundsonic Member UncommonPosts: 16
    congratulations to all, but it could have been F2P for WAR
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Vlacke

The fact that you have to pay in order to play a Space Marine in a WH40k "free to play" MMO is somewhat hilarious.

Ork Boyz, seriously?

You must not know about GW.......They sell tabletop games mostly as their money maker.....tabletop games that need, current MSRP, $125 minimum, in rulebooks just to play....Then....$800 in model cost, not including any and all supplies to finish them, to field an army for a 1500 point game.

I am sure when some green visor wearing accountant came in all out of breath, and proclaimed "We, can call it "Free to Play", but charge for every little extra bit, and make far more money than with just a sub!!!" The Emperor himself raised his undead head and gave his blessing.

Another GW money grab. But hey they are getting to beta in 18 months...that screams a "quality" game.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by goofy3k
    Excited for this glad to see someone else taking on a war 40k MMO. Also I think the free to play Ork Boyz idea is great. And they said its a premium free to play mmo, ie - premium stuff you pay for. Stop complaining and expecting everything to be free and given to you, the same mentality as people who play mmos and expect to be given everything for nothing.

We have a first fanboy of this game, congratulations.

Aside the fact that nobody in this thread said anything about expecting everything to be handed to them for free (so your little rant about that is misplaced and therefore irrelevant) you should know that in a WH40k universe Space Marines aren't considered premium stuff, they are practically the CORE, last time i checked Warhammer 40k didn't gain it's reputation and popularity because people were dazzled by Ork Boyz.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    Cautiously anticipatory...

• CerbearusCerbearus Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Love Warhammer, hate F2P. I mean I understand why they would do it, but my favorite business model is B2P like GW and GW2. Buy it, and you own it. I just hope it wont be a nickel-and-dime F2P and it is more of a pay $X and get this entire race and all their stuff, with some aesthetic stuff in some cash shop or whatever
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Lost me with having to buy the rest of the races to unlock their campaigns. I personally don't like the Ork's, being forced into that kind of sucks.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I love any Warhammer 40k, from the books to the game. I'm hopeful we get a good game. But this might be one of those games where I dont care how well it plays, only that I get to play a space marine and shoot some orks!
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Making F2P players 5x less powerful than a paid player. Haha yeah I can just see the free players flooding in to play Orks. Hahahahahaha.
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    As soon as I read free to play I lost interest. I want a game that is designed around being fun, not designed around ways to nickle and dime me. Or in the case of NWO, try and become a millionaire by selling lemonade for $1000 a cup.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

Making Ork Boyz free and needing 5 boyz to take down 1 Space Marine.  I dunno but that sounds like they maybe understand the lore of 40k better than most attempts have in the past.  With them being free which would make them the zerg playable race by default those who pay to become a Space Marine will be able to feel like a 40k Space Marine which they wouldn't be able to do with B2P or subscription models (at least compared to Orks).

Dunno I guess count me with the slightly optimistic wait and see mob.  

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Maybe wit won't look as cartoony like WAR was.  Until we see footage then lets just hope Warhammer will work this time.

This is cartoony which you are mentioning, is based on the warhammer figures long long time ago... If they would change that it's like making a pokemon game without an anime style

• mightpyromightpyro Member UncommonPosts: 23
    They should at least have a Imperial Guard soldier as another free class beacuse otherwise it'll be 1000 guys versus 1 guy from the other faction.
  • reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Granted the payments could change when 2015 rolls around. Or they just might add different units for F2P people (like scouts from space marines, initiates for the Iron Warriors and so on) But if it doesn't? Well it looks like I'm paying money for mah spess mahrines!
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Ork Boyz, seriously?

/agreed.
    Orks? No thanks. I always pay for my entertainment, and I guess I'll being up-fronting this one if I want to try it. No way being an ork will tell me what I want to know about this game.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I WILL play it! .... just because I like Warhammer (sci-fi).

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    That sounds really cool the way the F2P zerg will be playing the orc boyz and pay players as the other races.  Almost brilliant.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

"The free race available to everyone will be the Orks.  But free players will only be able to progress through the game’s content Ork Boyz: five of which are needed to take down one Space Marine."

Nice idea. Personally I dont give a chance in hell of working, but at least they are trying something different.

But it will be very hard to argue that it is not pay2win when the you can pay for five times teh strength. The can ofcourse balance that out by balancing gains for kill so they scale equally, but... Yeah.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Two years = 2 eternity's in the gaming industry.

I have to say I'm really getting tired of these  unceasing crumblets these game company's throw out there expecting players to scramble from info piece to info piece in frantic anticipation of more information.(I can't blame them for trying to hype future sales of a completed product they expect to sell.But as a consumer of information...i'm really getting tired with the very long time from the first info crumb till a game launch)

Thats how bad the mmog industry is right now...that there is a sizable segment of the populace that  hangs on every word from a company making a game they are interested in.I would think that after a while the appetite of an increasing number of game info consumers would begin to diminish.

ESOL and the 2014 launch comes to mind

SWTOR

AOC and the two year dance of the 200 veils(info crumblets)

WAR

and the list goes on......

• WelshyJTWelshyJT Member UncommonPosts: 28

Take a look at the studios former work....

Movie shovelware and generally horrendous games...

UH OH, my beloved 40k will be butchered once again

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Ork Boyz, seriously?

Well It kinda makes sense , because the Orks are treated as a horde army in the table top version. AND being a space marine is kinda an elite thing. But yeah funny way to represent that, that being said sign me up for a sub!!!

• greywolf2002greywolf2002 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Well, i laughted at the "free players will always outnumber the premium players so let's give them some utility and make them be the ork mob mass", that was hilarous as hell.

Other than that: freemium MMO and W40K license. This game will fail enormously. Don't get me wrong, i love W40K, but Warhammer games never do well, i don't know why they bother anymore.