Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Just silly. I use my PC for more things unrelated to MMO's.  There is many single player games that are far better than MMO's and worth playing my friend.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I think this maybe the last PC I own. I can easily set up a PS4 as a replacement.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by aesperus

LOL, love it. Consoles are currently struggling to find ways to compete with PCs. They're becoming more and more like a PC, because PCs are technically superior in just about every way.

And yet, on this site, it's the PCs that are dying! Long live the consoles! I swear it's like an alternate reality on this site sometimes.

- I suppose if you only use a PC to play MMOs & watch youtube, then maybe it doesn't make sense to keep one around. However, many people get a lot more mileage out of their PCs.

Do you have a source where the two markets are compared from a company economic standpoint? I.e. which market is more lucrative?

You'd have to combine multiple points of data.

I.E. Consoles dominate one market (the casual / core gaming market), which is actually competing w/ mobile gaming atm.

PCs, on the other hand, go well beyond the gaming market. They're used for nearly all industries; for work, for social networking, for entertainment, for education. There's a reason most households have at least one computer nowadays. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't use a computer on a regular basis. I know quite a few people who don't touch consoles at all.

This is all also avoiding the technical issues behind consoles trying to offer more with each generation; yet are still lagging well behind your average computer. Just compare the specs with any of the consoles against the average consumer-grade PC on the market nowadays. Many consoles don't do 60fps, they don't have the same processing power, the harddrive space is archaic, etc. etc. etc. They're mostly staying competitive by taking a loss on the consoles, and trying to make it up via publishing games / getting exclusives. There's a reason you see companies like microsoft trying to side-step into other markets. It just doesn't make sense to try and compete w/ PCs via specs.

Yes, but PC gaming companies aren't exactly known for being very lucrative outside of the gaming market as well. So it is rather irrelevant for gaming companies to consider how big the PC market is outside of gaming. When people state "PC is dying", I am assuming that they always mean "PC gaming is becoming less and less lucrative for the gaming companies". 

I  very much agree that consoles should not compete with PC via specs. They should just be good enough for the grand majority of the target audience.  

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

My current gaming computer is already better than both the new consoles coming out. In a couple of years my PC will be several times better while the consoles slowly become obsolete. I game on triple monitors at 5760x1080. Consoles have nothing to offer me.

I like to multitask. I usually game while listening to Pandora and regularly check things on the web. While I'm sure the consoles will offer these features individually I highly doubt that it will allow them all simultaneously.

I also use my PC for creative hobbies. Game development on Cryengine 3, sketching with sketchbook, and 3d modeling.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by jtcgs

These types of threads always pop up when new consoles are announced.

Consoles will NEVER be better than PCs. They will never play games better, they will never do PC related things better. The more these companies try to make GAME consoles more internet and social media friendly, the worse they will get...and they sure as hell are not good for surfing the internet with.

Yep!

BTW if you are an Australian the next gen consoles are not $399 and $499.  They are both pretty much $600 and the PS4 is more expensive than the Xbox 1 by a few dollars.  For that $600 you can put together a gaming rig of higher spec than the PS4 (without keyboard mouse and monitor but you do not get those with a console anyhow).

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

No, its not worth owning a PC anymore, please, go back to your console brethren. There is nothing for you here.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Roguewiz
    I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?Graphics:  About the Same

Are you out of your mind? Console graphics are still 1 generation behind PC.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Let's look at this more closely.

Here we have FFXIVARR and a comparison vid of the PC&PS3 versions of the game.

Being a legacy member i can say i have played the game full blast on my system and it looks fantastic. Even so i still think it looks pretty good on the PS3 so i would imagine it will look way better on the PS4, even so it's still not enough to make me want to get rid of my system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mGZW-6oaNQ

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    So far I see no reason to buy any console. I got a PC. I got more awesome games than I have time to play.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by maji
    So far I see no reason to buy any console. I got a PC. I got more awesome games than I have time to play.

STEAM STACKERS FTW!

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    A pc is much more than just a gaming machine as we all know. So the question of is it even worth owning a PC anymore is not even a question in my opinion. That being said I don't understand why people always have to mark such a clear line in the sand and jump to one side or the other. I myself have always had a current gen console and I have always had a pc that is stronger than the current gen consoles yet I enjoy gaming on both platforms. Hell exclusives alone have always been enough of a reason for me to own a console and a pc. All it comes down to for me is it's a good time to be a gamer.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I think it's more worth it than ever honestly. The consoles are becoming more and more restricting as they try everything they can to prevent piracy and continually add more DRM. You can't buy used games, you can't get amazing third-party download deals and it will be harder than ever to pirate games. Who wants to spend $500 on the console and $60 per game when you can just buy a PC for $1000 with much better specs and get all the killer deals/freedom you can handle?

Consoles/Phones/Tablets still suck compared to PC when it comes to everything non-gaming related too.  I'd only buy a console if you have some expendable cash and are desperate to play some exclusive titles.  Definitely don't recommend buying these things at launch for $500 with a lineup of 10 crappy games to choose from though.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

The thing that should be resonating right now is the poor quality of art design, animations, and realistic atmospheric effects in most PC MMORPGs as compared to the newer titles on the upcoming console systems.

I'm not sure why MMORPG = Graphics from 7 years ago.

I know that it takes a long time to develop a game, but the choices made in technology used, as well as the look of the games (Cartoony art that combines with outdated graphics capabilities) just makes PC games look like bargain bin garbage. Look at the animations in games like Assassin's Creed, the environmental interaction in games like The Division. MMOs are typically eye-garbage compared to these games, and on top of that are mostly WoW rip-off garbage. The consumer base is being taken on a ride by the clowns who make this garbage.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• zoofrozoofro Member UncommonPosts: 6

PC > Console.

Hands down. Next topic please.

• PanzakatPanzakat Member Posts: 24

console mmorpgs are not going to win the family vote. Pc's are so versatile, homework work, studies etc and gaming.

My house hold has around 5 pc's that are viable for modern mmorpgs. Not sure I be willing to spend another 2 odd grand to enable the house hold to play console based mmorpgs.

For me the console has lost its luster, many titles feature no multiplayer possibility, where as the 1st generation consoles were about getting 3/4 people around one and having a blast with friends.

Pc is here to stay, its just so much more than a gaming machine.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by ignore_me

The thing that should be resonating right now is the poor quality of art design, animations, and realistic atmospheric effects in most PC MMORPGs as compared to the newer titles on the upcoming console systems.

I know that it takes a long time to develop a game, but the choices made in technology used, as well as the look of the games (Cartoony art that combines with outdated graphics capabilities) just makes PC games look like bargain bin garbage. Look at the animations in games like Assassin's Creed, the environmental interaction in games like The Division. MMOs are typically eye-garbage compared to these games, and on top of that are mostly WoW rip-off garbage. The consumer base is being taken on a ride by the clowns who make this garbage.

MMORPG's have lesser graphics for many reasons.  The first and probably most important one is the amount of players on screen.  You don't see 50+ players on screen in Assassin's Creed and that's why it can get away with better graphics.  Second, they want to get as many customers as possible and people have PC's of varying power.  They wouldn't get enough customers for it to be worth releasing if they only targeted people with $3000 PC's.  Lastly, you have to consider the latency involved, server stress and the effect thousands of players have on the game.

The cartoon style is just because everybody thinks it sells.  They only think so because World of Warcraft used a cartoon-like style and was extremely successful.  You can blame WoW for almost every western MMORPG looking like a cartoon.  It was actually common for developers to use a more realistic style before WoW came around.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Rzep
    I am following E3 and the opposite feeling. What's the point of buying a next gen console? Graphically the games are nothing special, control wise it's the same pad or nothing bullshit, the games are for the most part multi platform, indie games will be released on PC, and all of the mmo's announced will or already are on PC already. These new consoles are just derpessing.

End of year consoles already far behind high end pc's.

PC in so many ways alot more flexible and freedom.

Hardware wise high end PC always SUPERIOR.

Mods or indiegames.

KB/M always win over gamepad or waving hands.

PC more complex games POSIBLE.

Controls and movement PC game combine with UI superior to these simplified console games.

List can go on why PC is so much more then a limited console.

PCForever!!!

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    Originally posted by ignore_me

MMORPG's have lesser graphics for many reasons.  The first and probably most important one is the amount of players on screen.  You don't see 50+ players on screen in Assassin's Creed and that's why it can get away with better graphics.  Second, they want to get as many customers as possible and people have PC's of varying power.  They wouldn't get enough customers for it to be worth releasing if they only targeted people with $3000 PC's.  Lastly, you have to consider the latency involved, server stress and the effect thousands of players have on the game.

The cartoon style is just because everybody thinks it sells.  They only think so because World of Warcraft used a cartoon-like style and was extremely successful.  You can blame WoW for almost every western MMORPG looking like a cartoon.  It was actually common for developers to use a more realistic style before WoW came around.

That's a good point about the number of players and the power of the machine needed. I agree with you that WoW lowered the bar. I think its fine to have some cartoony games out there, but when you look at the hyper-realistic graphics on the console games you have to wonder.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Jorl
    The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol

Odd I own a good pc and these graphics look quite nice to me........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s

No signature, I don't have a pen

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Im moving into Film editing for a profession so i need a hefty computer. actually i need something more powerful then a high end gaming computer to be able to do alot of the things i need to for my industry. That being said, i have no reason for a console since my PC will be able to run anything the consoles throw out, even probubly emulated aswell.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Im moving into Film editing for a profession so i need a hefty computer. actually i need something more powerful then a high end gaming computer to be able to do alot of the things i need to for my industry. That being said, i have no reason for a console since my PC will be able to run anything the consoles throw out, even probubly emulated aswell.

Not really. The video cards used for film editing are different than the ones used in gaming. Remember the video toaster? I mean Babylon 5 was done initially on Amiga's with video toaster boards. 

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    I love how people are saying that consoles are becoming more and more like computers, like it is some new truth. Anybody that says shit like that clearly doesn't know what a computer is. Anything with a CPU is a computer. Ultimately, the only difference between the consoles and PC has always been the software that ran them.
  • greywolf2002greywolf2002 Member UncommonPosts: 18

A console can be a cheap alternative to a good gaming PC, if you dan't want to spend taht much / don't know how to build your own gaming machine / don't wan't to deal with possible incompatibilities / want to buy the damn thing go home plug it and play.

Other than that, PC will always be superior to any console, as a multimedia entertaiment system. I don't know about gaming, maybe some time in the future it will be impractical to build a PC powerful enough to match a console in gaming terms, but PC will always allow you to do much more things than just playing.

It is only a matter of preferences, really.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lazarus71

Originally posted by Jorl The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol
    Odd I own a good pc and these graphics look quite nice to me........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s

PC has had quality like this for a while.

The problem i see is that ps3 graphics quality may look great when you first buy the system, But its is only going to diminish as the hardware ages while the PC continues to evolve..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

This discussion has been closed.