Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

15681011

Comments

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,765Member Uncommon

    Wherever you find the games you want, that's where you'll be.

    Personally all the games I love are on PC still.  Any game on both PC and console which involves camera manipulation (FPSes and other games like MMOs with mouselook) I will always choose PC because a controller is inferior for that kind of viewing.  It'll continue to be that way unless they did a trackball-controller as the default controller on a console (because then you'd be able to learn how to be just as pinpoint accurate as you can be with a mouse.)

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by aesperus

    LOL, love it. Consoles are currently struggling to find ways to compete with PCs. They're becoming more and more like a PC, because PCs are technically superior in just about every way.

    And yet, on this site, it's the PCs that are dying! Long live the consoles! I swear it's like an alternate reality on this site sometimes.

    - I suppose if you only use a PC to play MMOs & watch youtube, then maybe it doesn't make sense to keep one around. However, many people get a lot more mileage out of their PCs.

    Do you have a source where the two markets are compared from a company economic standpoint? I.e. which market is more lucrative?

    You'd have to combine multiple points of data.

    I.E. Consoles dominate one market (the casual / core gaming market), which is actually competing w/ mobile gaming atm.

    PCs, on the other hand, go well beyond the gaming market. They're used for nearly all industries; for work, for social networking, for entertainment, for education. There's a reason most households have at least one computer nowadays. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't use a computer on a regular basis. I know quite a few people who don't touch consoles at all.

    This is all also avoiding the technical issues behind consoles trying to offer more with each generation; yet are still lagging well behind your average computer. Just compare the specs with any of the consoles against the average consumer-grade PC on the market nowadays. Many consoles don't do 60fps, they don't have the same processing power, the harddrive space is archaic, etc. etc. etc. They're mostly staying competitive by taking a loss on the consoles, and trying to make it up via publishing games / getting exclusives. There's a reason you see companies like microsoft trying to side-step into other markets. It just doesn't make sense to try and compete w/ PCs via specs.

     

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

    Who is so poor that they cannot afford both consoles and a pc. And if you are that poor: should you be playing games in the first place?

    Its a depression, what world do you live in?  Yes if you cannot afford a extra $500 and $60 per game, you should get a second or third job (with high unemployment) or sit in a ditch instead of having entertainment or releasing any of your stress.  Damn those hard working poor people for wanting to enjoy parts of their life.

    LOL.

    Shhh!! we're still in a recession. The gov't tells us so!

  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

    Who is so poor that they cannot afford both consoles and a pc. And if you are that poor: should you be playing games in the first place?

    Its a depression, what world do you live in?  Yes if you cannot afford a extra $500 and $60 per game, you should get a second or third job (with high unemployment) or sit in a ditch instead of having entertainment or releasing any of your stress.  Damn those hard working poor people for wanting to enjoy parts of their life.

    A world where if you have education and dedication, you are doing just fine. Only exception would be countries with insane economic issues such as Greece (Italy, U.S.A. and Spain do not qualify).

     

    Those hard working (except they got there in the first place for not working hard with the things that they should have)  poor people, can start using their imagination and play sports. Soccer works perfectly well for many poor people.

  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

    Hi All,

    I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

    Just silly. I use my PC for more things unrelated to MMO's.  There is many single player games that are far better than MMO's and worth playing my friend.

    image

  • WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon
    I think this maybe the last PC I own. I can easily set up a PS4 as a replacement.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by aesperus

    LOL, love it. Consoles are currently struggling to find ways to compete with PCs. They're becoming more and more like a PC, because PCs are technically superior in just about every way.

    And yet, on this site, it's the PCs that are dying! Long live the consoles! I swear it's like an alternate reality on this site sometimes.

    - I suppose if you only use a PC to play MMOs & watch youtube, then maybe it doesn't make sense to keep one around. However, many people get a lot more mileage out of their PCs.

    Do you have a source where the two markets are compared from a company economic standpoint? I.e. which market is more lucrative?

    You'd have to combine multiple points of data.

    I.E. Consoles dominate one market (the casual / core gaming market), which is actually competing w/ mobile gaming atm.

    PCs, on the other hand, go well beyond the gaming market. They're used for nearly all industries; for work, for social networking, for entertainment, for education. There's a reason most households have at least one computer nowadays. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't use a computer on a regular basis. I know quite a few people who don't touch consoles at all.

    This is all also avoiding the technical issues behind consoles trying to offer more with each generation; yet are still lagging well behind your average computer. Just compare the specs with any of the consoles against the average consumer-grade PC on the market nowadays. Many consoles don't do 60fps, they don't have the same processing power, the harddrive space is archaic, etc. etc. etc. They're mostly staying competitive by taking a loss on the consoles, and trying to make it up via publishing games / getting exclusives. There's a reason you see companies like microsoft trying to side-step into other markets. It just doesn't make sense to try and compete w/ PCs via specs.

     

    Yes, but PC gaming companies aren't exactly known for being very lucrative outside of the gaming market as well. So it is rather irrelevant for gaming companies to consider how big the PC market is outside of gaming. When people state "PC is dying", I am assuming that they always mean "PC gaming is becoming less and less lucrative for the gaming companies". 

     

    I  very much agree that consoles should not compete with PC via specs. They should just be good enough for the grand majority of the target audience.  

  • MawneeMawnee Spring Hill, FLPosts: 197Member Uncommon

    My current gaming computer is already better than both the new consoles coming out. In a couple of years my PC will be several times better while the consoles slowly become obsolete. I game on triple monitors at 5760x1080. Consoles have nothing to offer me.

    I like to multitask. I usually game while listening to Pandora and regularly check things on the web. While I'm sure the consoles will offer these features individually I highly doubt that it will allow them all simultaneously.

    I also use my PC for creative hobbies. Game development on Cryengine 3, sketching with sketchbook, and 3d modeling.

  • craftseekercraftseeker kynetonPosts: 849Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jtcgs

    These types of threads always pop up when new consoles are announced.

    Consoles will NEVER be better than PCs. They will never play games better, they will never do PC related things better. The more these companies try to make GAME consoles more internet and social media friendly, the worse they will get...and they sure as hell are not good for surfing the internet with.

    Yep!

     

    BTW if you are an Australian the next gen consoles are not $399 and $499.  They are both pretty much $600 and the PS4 is more expensive than the Xbox 1 by a few dollars.  For that $600 you can put together a gaming rig of higher spec than the PS4 (without keyboard mouse and monitor but you do not get those with a console anyhow).

  • HrimnirHrimnir Qeynos, COPosts: 1,597Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

    Hi All,

    I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

    No, its not worth owning a PC anymore, please, go back to your console brethren. There is nothing for you here.

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?Graphics:  About the Same

    Are you out of your mind? Console graphics are still 1 generation behind PC.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon ParisPosts: 2,087Member Uncommon

    Let's look at this more closely.

    Here we have FFXIVARR and a comparison vid of the PC&PS3 versions of the game.

    Being a legacy member i can say i have played the game full blast on my system and it looks fantastic. Even so i still think it looks pretty good on the PS3 so i would imagine it will look way better on the PS4, even so it's still not enough to make me want to get rid of my system.

     

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mGZW-6oaNQ

    Coolermaster Cosmos II Case
    Corsair AX1200W Modular PSU
    Intel Core i7 3970X OC 4.50GHz
    Asus P9X79 PRO Intel X7
    16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-1866MHz
    840 Series 250GB SSDs
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN 6GB GDDR5 SLi

  • majimaji ColognePosts: 2,005Member Uncommon
    So far I see no reason to buy any console. I got a PC. I got more awesome games than I have time to play.

    Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

    Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

  • MasterZedXMasterZedX Baltimore, DEPosts: 29Member
    Originally posted by maji
    So far I see no reason to buy any console. I got a PC. I got more awesome games than I have time to play.

    STEAM STACKERS FTW!

  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Celina, OHPosts: 1,025Member Uncommon
    A pc is much more than just a gaming machine as we all know. So the question of is it even worth owning a PC anymore is not even a question in my opinion. That being said I don't understand why people always have to mark such a clear line in the sand and jump to one side or the other. I myself have always had a current gen console and I have always had a pc that is stronger than the current gen consoles yet I enjoy gaming on both platforms. Hell exclusives alone have always been enough of a reason for me to own a console and a pc. All it comes down to for me is it's a good time to be a gamer.

    No signature, I don't have a pen

  • SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member

    I think it's more worth it than ever honestly. The consoles are becoming more and more restricting as they try everything they can to prevent piracy and continually add more DRM. You can't buy used games, you can't get amazing third-party download deals and it will be harder than ever to pirate games. Who wants to spend $500 on the console and $60 per game when you can just buy a PC for $1000 with much better specs and get all the killer deals/freedom you can handle?

    Consoles/Phones/Tablets still suck compared to PC when it comes to everything non-gaming related too.  I'd only buy a console if you have some expendable cash and are desperate to play some exclusive titles.  Definitely don't recommend buying these things at launch for $500 with a lineup of 10 crappy games to choose from though.

    image
  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member

    The thing that should be resonating right now is the poor quality of art design, animations, and realistic atmospheric effects in most PC MMORPGs as compared to the newer titles on the upcoming console systems.

    I'm not sure why MMORPG = Graphics from 7 years ago.

    I know that it takes a long time to develop a game, but the choices made in technology used, as well as the look of the games (Cartoony art that combines with outdated graphics capabilities) just makes PC games look like bargain bin garbage. Look at the animations in games like Assassin's Creed, the environmental interaction in games like The Division. MMOs are typically eye-garbage compared to these games, and on top of that are mostly WoW rip-off garbage. The consumer base is being taken on a ride by the clowns who make this garbage.

     

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • zoofrozoofro Rio Rancho, NMPosts: 5Member

    PC > Console.

     

    Hands down. Next topic please.

  • PanzakatPanzakat MartmeesterstraatPosts: 24Member

    console mmorpgs are not going to win the family vote. Pc's are so versatile, homework work, studies etc and gaming.

    My house hold has around 5 pc's that are viable for modern mmorpgs. Not sure I be willing to spend another 2 odd grand to enable the house hold to play console based mmorpgs.

    For me the console has lost its luster, many titles feature no multiplayer possibility, where as the 1st generation consoles were about getting 3/4 people around one and having a blast with friends.

     

    Pc is here to stay, its just so much more than a gaming machine.

  • JorlJorl SunderlandPosts: 257Member
    The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Belvidere, ILPosts: 458Member
    Originally posted by ignore_me

    The thing that should be resonating right now is the poor quality of art design, animations, and realistic atmospheric effects in most PC MMORPGs as compared to the newer titles on the upcoming console systems.

    I'm not sure why MMORPG = Graphics from 7 years ago.

    I know that it takes a long time to develop a game, but the choices made in technology used, as well as the look of the games (Cartoony art that combines with outdated graphics capabilities) just makes PC games look like bargain bin garbage. Look at the animations in games like Assassin's Creed, the environmental interaction in games like The Division. MMOs are typically eye-garbage compared to these games, and on top of that are mostly WoW rip-off garbage. The consumer base is being taken on a ride by the clowns who make this garbage.

     

    MMORPG's have lesser graphics for many reasons.  The first and probably most important one is the amount of players on screen.  You don't see 50+ players on screen in Assassin's Creed and that's why it can get away with better graphics.  Second, they want to get as many customers as possible and people have PC's of varying power.  They wouldn't get enough customers for it to be worth releasing if they only targeted people with $3000 PC's.  Lastly, you have to consider the latency involved, server stress and the effect thousands of players have on the game.

    The cartoon style is just because everybody thinks it sells.  They only think so because World of Warcraft used a cartoon-like style and was extremely successful.  You can blame WoW for almost every western MMORPG looking like a cartoon.  It was actually common for developers to use a more realistic style before WoW came around.

    image
  • curacura WarsawPosts: 950Member Uncommon
    I used to think consoles will become gaming platform for all kind of games, including those more complicated and intellectually demanding. Now i see they just became a rip off tools for big companies which wind up game prices and charge for intent access.  The only real value of consoles are their exclusive tittles which are artificially kept exclusive by big money flowing from MS and Sony to developers. The real questcion is, is it even worth to own a console.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower RdamPosts: 1,245Member
    Originally posted by Rzep
    I am following E3 and the opposite feeling. What's the point of buying a next gen console? Graphically the games are nothing special, control wise it's the same pad or nothing bullshit, the games are for the most part multi platform, indie games will be released on PC, and all of the mmo's announced will or already are on PC already. These new consoles are just derpessing.

    End of year consoles already far behind high end pc's.

    PC in so many ways alot more flexible and freedom.

    Hardware wise high end PC always SUPERIOR.

    Mods or indiegames.

    KB/M always win over gamepad or waving hands.

    PC more complex games POSIBLE.

    Controls and movement PC game combine with UI superior to these simplified console games.

    List can go on why PC is so much more then a limited console.

    PCForever!!!

  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    Originally posted by ignore_me

    The thing that should be resonating right now is the poor quality of art design, animations, and realistic atmospheric effects in most PC MMORPGs as compared to the newer titles on the upcoming console systems.

    I'm not sure why MMORPG = Graphics from 7 years ago.

    I know that it takes a long time to develop a game, but the choices made in technology used, as well as the look of the games (Cartoony art that combines with outdated graphics capabilities) just makes PC games look like bargain bin garbage. Look at the animations in games like Assassin's Creed, the environmental interaction in games like The Division. MMOs are typically eye-garbage compared to these games, and on top of that are mostly WoW rip-off garbage. The consumer base is being taken on a ride by the clowns who make this garbage.

     

    MMORPG's have lesser graphics for many reasons.  The first and probably most important one is the amount of players on screen.  You don't see 50+ players on screen in Assassin's Creed and that's why it can get away with better graphics.  Second, they want to get as many customers as possible and people have PC's of varying power.  They wouldn't get enough customers for it to be worth releasing if they only targeted people with $3000 PC's.  Lastly, you have to consider the latency involved, server stress and the effect thousands of players have on the game.

    The cartoon style is just because everybody thinks it sells.  They only think so because World of Warcraft used a cartoon-like style and was extremely successful.  You can blame WoW for almost every western MMORPG looking like a cartoon.  It was actually common for developers to use a more realistic style before WoW came around.

    That's a good point about the number of players and the power of the machine needed. I agree with you that WoW lowered the bar. I think its fine to have some cartoony games out there, but when you look at the hyper-realistic graphics on the console games you have to wonder.

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Celina, OHPosts: 1,025Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jorl
    The only downfall for us PC users is the graphics on these new games will be lame for us. At least we wont need to upgrade as much!... lol

    Odd I own a good pc and these graphics look quite nice to me........

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s

    No signature, I don't have a pen

This discussion has been closed.