Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMo's finally making the better choice.

jayvierljayvierl Member Posts: 31

I love that MMO's are finally starting to move to consoles. 

The next Gen-Consoles are getting like 5 MMo's I think this is one of the best choices developers could have ever made.

What do you think?

Comments

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    that any mmo that is gamepad compatible is simple to the point of trivial.
  • supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    /puke!   I think it's fine but I will never bother w/ an mmo on a console...

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    If people enjoy it then great.  Not my thing though.  MMO gaming for me just doesn't jive with what consoles are about.  I really like being at my *pc* while playing an MMO, for many many reasons.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I have no intentions of playing a MMO on a console.  If a MMO has its UI compromised to be adjusted to a console, then I do not want to play it on a PC either.  They can have different UIs for both, in that case, as long as it doesn't effect the PC version or change it, I don't care.

It is no plus for the way I game.  I am a PC gamer, my PS3 is a blu ray/netflix player 99.9% of the time.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    lol you know no one in this PC website is going to agree with you OP but i do
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Seeing how consoles games are always dumbed down no matter what, I think its the worst platform for an MMO. I also doubt we will see an open world MMO anytime soon on a console, be sure that every MMO released on next-gen consoles will be heavily instanced. I'm also pretty certain that the games will be released in a worst form that most MMO are on PC, so lots of bugs/exploit, lag and etc. I don't understand how using a platform that only limits you in creating your game is a good idea lol.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Originally posted by steamtank

MMOs are already simple to the point of triviality. Frankly, a gamepad MMO that replaces the large number of (often unused) skills with action combat (such as what one would expect from DMC or KoA:Reckoning) would be a step up, not down. An in depth combo system could easily replace the mind-numbingly repetitive rotations of your standard MMO fare. 

Depth doesn't come from how many skills are available, but rather from their quality and potential applications.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Doesn't affect me at all.  Now that it's becoming standard to connect consoles to the internet though, it only seems logical.  I personally didn't buy a previous gen console, however, and I won't be buying a next gen console either.  I still use my PS2 on almost a weekly basis for some of my favorite classic PS1/2 games + madden football.  I use my PC for absolutely everything else.  
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by tkreep

I agree with him too. This isn't 1992. The AVERAGE PC gamers computer's hardware doesn't match up to the specs that the next gen consoles have. There are several articles on the internet supporting this statement. Most games do NOT support the 10% of gamers that have THE top of the line hardware in their gaming rigs. There are very few games that utilize the maximum. (less than 10%) plus I rather pay $500 bucks or less and play a game MADE for my system's specs than to upgrade my PC hardware every few months to a year or so and still have to minimize the graphic settings so it doesn't lag.

Originally posted by SirFubar
    Seeing how consoles games are always dumbed down no matter what, I think its the worst platform for an MMO. I also doubt we will see an open world MMO anytime soon on a console, be sure that every MMO released on next-gen consoles will be heavily instanced. I'm also pretty certain that the games will be released in a worst form that most MMO are on PC, so lots of bugs/exploit, lag and etc. I don't understand how using a platform that only limits you in creating your game is a good idea lol.

Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn and PlanetSide 2 and The Division already proved you wrong

• FreyasFreyas Member Posts: 32

I don't think consoles generally make a good platform in MMOs.  The main thing that separates and distinguishes MMO's from other non massively-multiplayer games is socializing and communication, and that's one of the main areas that consoles are inferior to PC's.  Typing is painful at best with a controller setup, and doing all of your communication with voice chat in an MMO isn't feasible- how are you communicating with people looking for a group while you've got a discussion going on in your guild?  With voice chat, you can only get one coherent message at a time, which conflicts with the multiple different channels of communication integral to MMOs.

With the move towards action combat we've seen in recent MMOs, I think controllers are as good or better for controlling your character in that sort of game, and that would work fine with consoles.  However, that's not what makes a game an MMO, it's the group activities and other players which do that, and console controls don't work well for those things.  Sure, players can purchase a keyboard to go with their console, but that's just making them poor imitations of what you have when playing on a PC, rather than being a "better choice" of platform as the OP suggests.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Whether it's successful or not remains to be seen. Most consolers aren't into MMOs. Destiny will be the only one that stands a chance.  
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    Originally posted by Freyas

I don't think consoles generally make a good platform in MMOs.  The main thing that separates and distinguishes MMO's from other non massively-multiplayer games is socializing and communication, and that's one of the main areas that consoles are inferior to PC's.  Typing is painful at best with a controller setup, and doing all of your communication with voice chat in an MMO isn't feasible- how are you communicating with people looking for a group while you've got a discussion going on in your guild?  With voice chat, you can only get one coherent message at a time, which conflicts with the multiple different channels of communication integral to MMOs.

With the move towards action combat we've seen in recent MMOs, I think controllers are as good or better for controlling your character in that sort of game, and that would work fine with consoles.  However, that's not what makes a game an MMO, it's the group activities and other players which do that, and console controls don't work well for those things.  Sure, players can purchase a keyboard to go with their console, but that's just making them poor imitations of what you have when playing on a PC, rather than being a "better choice" of platform as the OP suggests.

I used a USB keyboard for chat in Final Fantasy 11 360 version.

Originally posted by achesoma
    Whether it's successful or not remains to be seen. Most consolers aren't into MMOs. Destiny will be the only one that stands a chance.  

And The Division

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

I agree with him too. This isn't 1992. The AVERAGE PC gamers computer's hardware doesn't match up to the specs that the next gen consoles have. There are several articles on the internet supporting this statement. Most games do NOT support the 10% of gamers that have THE top of the line hardware in their gaming rigs. There are very few games that utilize the maximum. (less than 10%) plus I rather pay $500 bucks or less and play a game MADE for my system's specs than to upgrade my PC hardware every few months to a year or so and still have to minimize the graphic settings so it doesn't lag.

I'm sorry but I put my pc together 4 years ago and it still trumps the PS 4 specs. Yeah i payed about 2K Euro but still it's worth throwing down that amount of cash to ensure you can play every game you want to top graphic settings for the next couple of years. While with the console after even half that time the games that come out on pc platform are getting better graphics, they have to be "dumbed down" for the console cause otherwise it can't handle the game.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

Originally posted by Blackaddera

I'm sorry but I put my pc together 4 years ago and it still trumps the PS 4 specs. Yeah i payed about 2K Euro but still it's worth throwing down that amount of cash to ensure you can play every game you want to top graphic settings for the next couple of years. While with the console after even half that time the games that come out on pc platform are getting better graphics, they have to be "dumbed down" for the console cause otherwise it can't handle the game.

Point Proven. Thanks

You NEVER played FF11 on a console and compared it to that of a PC, I'd take it?

I had absolutely zero problems playing the game. I was actually stationed in Italy, so my time zone allowed me to play with Asians and Americans with equal amounts of time. I had so many friends ask me for friend invites. WoW is considered simple and is NOT on a console; however, FF11 is way harder due to all the macros you have to have and steps just to cast a basic spell and the controls were ZERO problems on the PS2 or XBOX 360.

FF11: with a gamepad harder and way more challenging

WoW only on PC/MAC: LOL don't even get me started about it's trivial simplicity.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This is going to be the greatest thing ever!!

until I try it

Then it will probably be a dumbed down clone of every other mmo

So I'll come back here and call the devs a bunch of retards and have some other great advice on how they should of done stuff.

And then find another thread about something else that's going to be the greatest thing ever!!

It's seems so ridiculous when you say it like that....wonder why it seems normal to the people who actually do it.

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Blackaddera

Point Proven. Thanks

If you bothered to read on you'd get MY point a year after the console is for sale the games that are also on pc platform trump the console specs and have to be dumbed down for the console not for pc.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

You NEVER played FF11 on a console and compared it to that of a PC, I'd take it?

I had absolutely zero problems playing the game. I was actually stationed in Italy, so my time zone allowed me to play with Asians and Americans with equal amounts of time. I had so many friends ask me for friend invites. WoW is considered simple and is NOT on a console; however, FF11 is way harder due to all the macros you have to have and steps just to cast a basic spell and the controls were ZERO problems on the PS2 or XBOX 360.

FF11: with a gamepad harder and way more challenging

WoW only on PC/MAC: LOL don't even get me started about it's trivial simplicity.

As you said in another post: point proven, thanks!

The controls of FFXI were an absolute nightmare, compared to most computer games.  It was best to not even use your mouse.  I couldn't imagine playing it on a console, but you make it pretty clear that it wasn't an enjoyable experience.  The only way FFXI's controls (among other things) were considered passable was because it was released in 2003.  FFXIV actually retained many of the archaic features of FFXI, including a frustrating, although slightly improved, control scheme; but this time, being 2011, players rebelled and refused to accept such unintuitive systems.  

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    I knew it was only a matter of time before companies began to shift over to consoles. I was excited to see that Elder Scrolls will be playing on an xbox or a playstation, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. PC gaming is going to be a thing of the past, no longer will you be confined to a mouse and keyboard. You will have the power to roam wirelessly one hand on a 68 inch screen without frying your eyeballs. My main concern is the amount of polish on the game before release. I had to give up defiance because well after three weeks I was still getting disconnected in the middle of my session only to find myself not being able to log in for another hour.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---