Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: What We Want to Know About EQNext

Comments

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I only have one question: When ?
  • KarvarenKarvaren Member UncommonPosts: 12

I'd like to know if there will be raiding and in what numbers??

Will there be PvP, and what type will it be??

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

What I want to know:

1.  Instances - If their is any, and if so hopefully not over used.

2.  World - Is it more open, and not the generic railed quest hub that has become the norm, where you trip over quest givers.  I want to explore, find camps, dungeons, rare spawns, and bring back the roaming high level dangers, they brought excitement.

3. Dungeons - If their are instances, at least make it 50% open/non-instanced.  I would like it to be 100%, but heck 50% would be a huge departure from what we get now.

4. Game play - I know action is the new rage, which is fine for FPS type lobby mmos, but I want what I call a real mmo.  I am fine with a dodge or whatever, but I want more traditional game play on this front.  I want their to be more focus on what I thought made EQ special, was the precision/tactics, along with the small amount of time to be more social....This would also go more along with their being a role system....If you can change your roles up or whatever, I am open to, but for all the trinity hate, I actually like it.

5. Crafting/Harvesting - This may be the trickiest part, if they are bringing more sandbox back, then how do they balance it with raids/dungeons.  Do they do like SWG/Vanguard to where you get a lot of things raiding that go into crafting to make things better?  Do they maybe offer comparable items, but slightly different....Is their some decay?  Harvesting - I would love a system somewhat like Vanguards, with common, rare, and ultra rare materials...I would be ok with maybe some sort of SWG system also...  If crafting is not going to be worth doing, then none of this really matters and they should maybe limit it to some kind of small buffs items, like food....No sense in wasting time on something that is 'crafting', in name only.  Like WAR on release, they had crafting, but it was the worst implementation I had ever seen in a MMO.

6. Housing - I would like to see a housing area system, like Vanguard, where you have many areas throughout a big world, with cheaper lots, more expensive lots, and house building choices...This would be a big undertaking and I could see it not being in the cards, due to taking away from the game too much, or launching later.  What I do not care to see, and this is personal, as a lot of people do like it, is instanced housing, it feels more like a bank box I can decorate....I personally would just rather more bank space if that is going to be what they do.

7. Leveling/AA/XP - I would love to have leveling slowed down a lot again, I don't see a huge need to maybe bring back the 'hell' or double XP levels every 5 levels, but a slow down would be nice.  A alternative to this would be bringing back AAs, but to make them as more of a function to leveling, but make it so people do not maybe feel that it is like that...Since they would be 'max' level....The big drawback to this is that you will probably get people feeling things are alienated and people are being snobs because they cannot play due to lack of certain AAs in a group or some such...I would prefer a slow down period, along with AAs....I also would be good with skills, and no levels, like UO, where you have a cap.

8. Payment model - Pretty sure this will be f2p, I would of preferred p2p, or even b2p.  I just hope they do not make it p2w and ruin it.  I also would like to see a quality sub option, that pretty much eliminates the cash shop.  I doubt that happens, but I really dislike cash shops, it feels like they are trying to drag every nickel and dime out of you they can in a lot of games.  Not all do that, but when you make a f2p or b2p game, you have to make people want to buy things, and often that comes at an expense of balance imo.

9.  Starter areas/races - I hope they make this like EQ, where we have many different looking and feeling areas where races start.  I miss this, often we get a story that explains why you only have 1-2 starting areas, so that makes it to where people cannot make this a complaint in a way...We need a world that has many different areas and places to see, no reason to cheap out in this regard.

10.  Travel - I am ok with more limited travel, we probably will not see the OOT boat time travel anymore, but I am ok with druid/wizard/sow/mount travel....If limited portal/PoK travel happens, to where you still have to run and see the world some, I can live with that also.

11.  Raids - Will they be more open, like original EQ Vox/Nagafin raids, will they be 72 person, 48, 32, 24, 20....  I am pretty open to this, but I would like to know what they are going to do.  I want to keep these separate from dungeons, I mean I have seen like 2-3 person 'raids' in some games, I mean that is a half group dungeon!

12.  How are they going to use storybricks?  Does this mean created/instanced content, or maybe even open content that is created, that would be something new.  It would take a continent maybe for players to make things that could be added/approved by SoE, that would be different.  The recent create your content stuff seems to be a big hack/exploit waiting to happen.  I mean it is a start, and things always start out a little bad, but the content with created open content sounds like it could be interesting.

I am sure I have many more questions, but I gotta get off of here, and this is a good start for what I want to know personally.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Xthos

What I want to know:

2.  World - Is it more open, and not the generic railed quest hub that has become the norm, where you trip over quest givers.  I want to explore, find camps, dungeons, rare spawns, and bring back the roaming high level dangers, they brought excitement.

3. Dungeons - If their are instances, at least make it 50% open/non-instanced.  I would like it to be 100%, but heck 50% would be a huge departure from what we get now.

4. Game play - I know action is the new rage, which is fine for FPS type lobby mmos, but I want what I call a real mmo.  I am fine with a dodge or whatever, but I want more traditional game play on this front.  I want their to be more focus on what I thought made EQ special, was the precision/tactics, along with the small amount of time to be more social....This would also go more along with their being a role system....If you can change your roles up or whatever, I am open to, but for all the trinity hate, I actually like it.

5. Crafting/Harvesting - This may be the trickiest part, if they are bringing more sandbox back, then how do they balance it with raids/dungeons.  Do they do like SWG/Vanguard to where you get a lot of things raiding that go into crafting to make things better?  Do they maybe offer comparable items, but slightly different....Is their some decay?  Harvesting - I would love a system somewhat like Vanguards, with common, rare, and ultra rare materials...I would be ok with maybe some sort of SWG system also...  If crafting is not going to be worth doing, then none of this really matters and they should maybe limit it to some kind of small buffs items, like food....No sense in wasting time on something that is 'crafting', in name only.  Like WAR on release, they had crafting, but it was the worst implementation I had ever seen in a MMO.

6. Housing - I would like to see a housing area system, like Vanguard, where you have many areas throughout a big world, with cheaper lots, more expensive lots, and house building choices...This would be a big undertaking and I could see it not being in the cards, due to taking away from the game too much, or launching later.  What I do not care to see, and this is personal, as a lot of people do like it, is instanced housing, it feels more like a bank box I can decorate....I personally would just rather more bank space if that is going to be what they do.

7. Leveling/AA/XP - I would love to have leveling slowed down a lot again, I don't see a huge need to maybe bring back the 'hell' or double XP levels every 5 levels, but a slow down would be nice.  A alternative to this would be bringing back AAs, but to make them as more of a function to leveling, but make it so people do not maybe feel that it is like that...Since they would be 'max' level....The big drawback to this is that you will probably get people feeling things are alienated and people are being snobs because they cannot play due to lack of certain AAs in a group or some such...I would prefer a slow down period, along with AAs....I also would be good with skills, and no levels, like UO, where you have a cap.

8. Payment model - Pretty sure this will be f2p, I would of preferred p2p, or even b2p.  I just hope they do not make it p2w and ruin it.  I also would like to see a quality sub option, that pretty much eliminates the cash shop.  I doubt that happens, but I really dislike cash shops, it feels like they are trying to drag every nickel and dime out of you they can in a lot of games.  Not all do that, but when you make a f2p or b2p game, you have to make people want to buy things, and often that comes at an expense of balance imo.

9.  Starter areas/races - I hope they make this like EQ, where we have many different looking and feeling areas where races start.  I miss this, often we get a story that explains why you only have 1-2 starting areas, so that makes it to where people cannot make this a complaint in a way...We need a world that has many different areas and places to see, no reason to cheap out in this regard.

10.  Travel - I am ok with more limited travel, we probably will not see the OOT boat time travel anymore, but I am ok with druid/wizard/sow/mount travel....If limited portal/PoK travel happens, to where you still have to run and see the world some, I can live with that also.

11.  Raids - Will they be more open, like original EQ Vox/Nagafin raids, will they be 72 person, 48, 32, 24, 20....  I am pretty open to this, but I would like to know what they are going to do.  I want to keep these separate from dungeons, I mean I have seen like 2-3 person 'raids' in some games, I mean that is a half group dungeon!

12.  How are they going to use storybricks?  Does this mean created/instanced content, or maybe even open content that is created, that would be something new.  It would take a continent maybe for players to make things that could be added/approved by SoE, that would be different.  The recent create your content stuff seems to be a big hack/exploit waiting to happen.  I mean it is a start, and things always start out a little bad, but the content with created open content sounds like it could be interesting.

I am sure I have many more questions, but I gotta get off of here, and this is a good start for what I want to know personally.

why even have lots? if the world is large enough they can make it so you could just build your house anywhere. would be really cool if they added the ability to terraform too so you could build a small island in the middle of a lake or something and put your house on it. 

as for the rest of your points,i really hope they pull away from the traditional themepark and go more towards a true sandbox. some little themepark dabs here and there wouldn't be bad but i really hope i don't see any yellow ! over any NPC's head.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Boognishe
    Originally posted by Nique71
    i don't remember being able to change UI's in Everquest.  That ability I thought was started with WOW.  I played Lineage 2 and FFXI inbetween Everquest and WOW and i don't remember those 2 games having that feature either.

There were absolutely custom UI's with EQ, before WoW..

agree

http://www.eqmac.com/guides/uiguide.html

In the summer of 2002, SOE opened up the ability to customize your EQ experience on the PC side. Allowing the use of XML and tga files to create your own "User Interface" look. Immediately web sites sprung to life to host and share others UI work.

Custom EQ UI links i posted 11 years ago  :)

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/forums/30/User-Interface-tips-and-info/User-Interface-tips-and-info#.UbdfwpzCkYt

OMG! I forgot about this. The most awesome things about EQ and EQ2. The custom UIs!!!!

I hope EQnext will have it possible for players to make their own.

EQ - The guy who made the blue pipe frames and the dark transparent glass inside those frames. I forgot who that was.

EQ2 - Without a doubt, ProfitUI. The best player made ui of all time in that game. :)

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    I want to know everything they go out of their way to not comment on... you know, the stuff they really don't want you to find out about until AFTER they got your money in their pockets.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by evilized

What I want to know:

why even have lots? if the world is large enough they can make it so you could just build your house anywhere. would be really cool if they added the ability to terraform too so you could build a small island in the middle of a lake or something and put your house on it. 

as for the rest of your points,i really hope they pull away from the traditional themepark and go more towards a true sandbox. some little themepark dabs here and there wouldn't be bad but i really hope i don't see any yellow ! over any NPC's head.

I have to agree with you on this. Leaning toward a traditional sandbox would be the best move for them, the game wont be for everyone and it would be a mistake to try and make it like that. Allow players to build their homes similar to what SWG did or even make it more fun and create zones where you can create kingdoms where you are protected by them and fight for them. Making a really FUN sandbox is way easy compared to making a themepark, as long as you have live hosted GM events once to twice a month you can keep your staff employed and players happy.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Is it going to be like Alpha World  where you can build your own world and you have to purchase worlds .

Kinda like Second Life I guess .   Sand Box + Story Bricks + EQLore = Second Life with dwarves and elves right ?

Well, the lots thing is so the world doesn't get too cluttered, guess you could have prohibited areas, like UO moved to, after they had clutter problems...

Also, to add to my list.

Server types - PvP/RP/PvE/Team PvP - I know it takes more to pull off, but I would like to see server types.  They could make the sandbox more appealing to people, if they actually plan and cater to different servers/communities.  They you could have FFA world pvp, ffa world pvp with full loot, faction (good/evil/neutral if 3) pvp, roleplay that actually is more suited to maybe use the storybricks aspect even more, where players can make towns, put on events, plays, etc...for people that like to do that.  Those that don't, it doesn't take anything away from how they like to play the game.

Also, on the sandbox note, I am good with sandbox, I like it, UO is one of my favorite games of all time, but I would be totally shocked it they went say 80%+ traditional sandbox.  I see it maybe more of a 60/70% being the max.

I am excited to see it, but not knowing anything for the most part, I also have to stay open to dislike for whatever they do.  I think you would be a fool to be all in, with what they have shown so far.  We just have words, and I played UO/EQ for 6-8 years each, so if we got a updated more featured UO or a EQ/UO updated mix with player tools, I can be 'good' on a range of stuff.

What I am not good on is a e sport, railed, instance everything lobby mmo, if they do this, no way in hell I play it.

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69

Completely different and unique race starting points are a must - far from each other, too, so the trip to meet a friend from another race becomes a journey or adventure.

I also hope, and would like to know if, they will bring racial armor back into the game. Looking unique to your own species/race was pretty cool back in the day (though it all looked the same within a race back then - something that would have to change).

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by evilized

What I want to know:

I have to agree with you on this. Leaning toward a traditional sandbox would be the best move for them, the game wont be for everyone and it would be a mistake to try and make it like that. Allow players to build their homes similar to what SWG did or even make it more fun and create zones where you can create kingdoms where you are protected by them and fight for them. Making a really FUN sandbox is way easy compared to making a themepark, as long as you have live hosted GM events once to twice a month you can keep your staff employed and players happy.

1.  Instances are an attempt to make dungeons not feel crowded like a city.  Vanguard tried to do a more modern take non-instanced world / dungeons, and what they did was created the dungeons in such a way that there were multiple ways to progress through them.  However, it didn't work very well as even with multiple paths and fast respawning mobs, groups would often clash with each other.  The original EQ was notorious for us players having "wait in line" to "camp" a mob.  In Vanguard, good dungeons became congested and it really hurt the experience.  Instancing solved these kinds of problems in other games, but it makes the world feel less alive and immersive.  I guess I'm saying that I'm fine with either way, as long as it's done good.

2.  I agree.  A dynamic changing open would would be a lot more fun than the standard bread crumb trail quest hubs.  Give the players freedom and reward exploration.  Something sort of like the Dynamic Event system in GW2 might be really good.  Reward exploration, don't punish players for working together, etc.  I'd really like to see a great open world experience.

3.  This was already talked about.  Instances can be good, instances can be bad.  What matters is if they do it right, no matter what style of dungeon they choose to go with.  Personally, I think an open dungeon that simply gets harder and reacts to more players appropriately would be the best solution.  That way, if you run into another group, or 2 or 3, like what happened in Vanguard and EQ's open dungeons, you're not fighting over mobs or tripping over each other.  It would simply just become challenging and rewarding for everyone involved.

4.  You touched on a lot of different things, class roles, trinity, style of gameplay, etc.  I would say that I'm all for any kind of combat system, Action like in Tera or Neverwinter.  Traditional like in EQ, WoW, Aion, SWTOR, etc.  Or a mix of the 2, sort of like GW2.  But just make sure the gameplay is fun.  I've played some action combat games which sucked compared to the gameplay in EQ2 or Vanguard, but I've also played action games that made traditional combat seem lame.  All I'm saying is stick to something and do it right.  As for class roles,  I prefer freedom myself.  I hate "liking the concept" of a class, but not wanting to be what ever role that class is.  I prefer systems where a character is either completely customizable, or class systems where your class is really just a theme, but you can make it fit multiple roles depending on how you spec it.

I'm also in for some sort of small downtime, maybe not in between every fight, but enough so you actually have time to socialize with people you're playing with.  Too many MMORPGs now a days are anti-social.  I'd like to see them bring some of that back, but without getting into the pitfalls of original EQ.  I also think that integrated in game VOIP will help a lot with this.  I generally use Vent, as I own my own server, but it would be really nice to walk up to another player and instantly verbally speak with them, or to get into a pick up group and instantly be coordinated with VOIP.  I think it would really make the game feel more alive and immersive.

5.  I think crafting NEEDS to be made useful, or else it's going to alienate a lot of it's fanbase.  Vanguard had an amazing crafting system, complete with it's own gears, skills and levels.  Creating a piece of gear was like fighting a mob, you had to react to complications and take advantage of innovations with skills you learned through leveling up.  All gear was highly customizable, the item type, rarity, extra stats, procs, it all made for a system that allowed a crafter to really custom make items to order.  It was great.  However, how do you mix this with adventuring?  Well honestly, I think the best possible solution is to only have very basic gear drop from adventuring, but have crafting materials be the main drops in the game.  That way, you can either buy a piece of gear outright from a crafter, or provide materials you found in dungeons and have the crafter make you something to order for less money.  That way, a crafter could be useful, and never be seen as obsolete, but it also allows adventure drops to be useful too.

6.  EQ2's housing system is considered one of the best for instanced housing, and Vanguard / SWG's housing are often considered the best examples of open world type housing.  I have no doubt EQN is going to have a good housing system in some form.  I trust what ever they come up with will be well worth spending time on.  Though I am hoping for a SWG style housing system haha.

7.  AA's are fun, especially if they're done right.  I also don't mind slower leveling, as long as the gameplay is fun to go with it.  If a game is "fun", then simply playing it should be reward enough.  If the game is not fun, then leveling and getting gear becomes a second job.  The level/gear system then becomes a bandaid for a much more serious problem.  I don't care how long or short the leveling system is.  I just want the actual gameplay to be fun, regardless of how fast or slow leveling/getting gear is.

8.  EQN is going to be F2P, just as all their other models are.  However, SOE does not make their games "Pay2Win".  There will be things in the game that you will really want in the cash shop, like bag slots, and exp boosters, and skins, but really, they have to make their game bring in money some how.  I think F2P works well with SOE games.  You can try out their games with no risk, and the things in the shop are valuable enough to want them, but if you don't buy them, you're not going to be "beaten" by other players because you don't have them.  Moral of the story, P2P is a dying model, and even if you spend $100 in the cash shop, that's still the same as paying for a box and playing for 3 or 4 months on a pay to play game.  Embrace the micro transactions.  They aren't going away.

9.  I really do hope they offer multiple starting locations too.  They give the game a LOT more replay value, and a lot more freedom.

10.  Travel is a tricky thing, but I have a feeling that they're not building the world's largest sandbox just so you can teleport directly into dungeons from the starting city lol.  I'm sure there will be some fun travel.

11.  As for raids, I hope they just come up with a system that appeals to all sizes of player guilds and groups.  Some people love huge raids, some people hate them.  I think the key is freedom.  How they do it, we'll just have to wait and see.

12.  I like the concept of creating your own content, just as long as it isn't exploitable.  I'm sure they have  safeguards in place. 

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• SpezzSpezz Member Posts: 141
    Will we get a /pizza command?
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    hate to burst your soe hate bubble but soe was in on eq from  the very start, they started it verant split off from them took the project then  merged back or some  shit like that

as for houseing id like a modified form of what everquest1 uses instanced neighborhoods so u can have  inside and outside and no clutter

id like to be able to have  goblin helpers harvest some tradeskill supplys on my farm or from my pet spider// or fish from my pound, but if i am rude to them or  dont pay theyll ransack the house
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Well we know there are classes and Smed has hinted on not having a big skill based system.

Seasons, forest regrowing after being burnt down. A fully interactive world is the central point of Smeds vision with EQN. EQ players will recognize the game but it will be new EQ.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I would love to see EQN have a resource and crafting system like SWG had. You had to go out and find mines, wells, resources and literally dig them out of the ground (With automated equipment for sure) but the quality of the stuff allowed for fantastic variations on the equipment that was produced.

I would also love for them to have a housing system like SWG had. Drop a house just about anywhere. Place items any way you want. Have an NPC vendor in there. Build up whole cities of player owned structures.

After playing Chivalry:Medievel Warfare, I can see how action based gameplay can really work awesomely. Even things like spell casting that would require certain gestures for amount of success/quality/effectiveness could be cool.

I have high hopes for this game. I really love the fact that Smedley basically scrapped the game (minus the art and content stuff) and had them start over with something that is NOT going to be another rehash of the typical MMO.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Will it be like eq2?

If so not interested.

Late to the party eh?

You stay sassy!

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

With news like ESO's delay to 2014 and Titan's pushback to at least 2015, the ball is truly in EQNext's court.

I have a strong feeling EQNext is going to be the MMO to beat. This even knowing at little as we know about it.

It's about time the MMO genre is revitalized!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I want tab targeting.  I want a leveling / skilling system that actually means something, none of the recent minute increments of advancement.  I want a large variety of races and classes (skill sets) that are very distinct and dramatically change the feeling of the game from the other.  I want comparable reward systems for all play styles.  No more of this raid or die, pvp or die, craft or die crap that dominates the genre currently.  If I am casual, hardcore, crafter, adventurer, raider, explorer, quester, puzzle solver, politician, socializer or role-player, I want to see equitable rewards for all of them.

I want to see real world housing, mounts, non-instanced dungeons and buildings / homes and cities.  I want to see free form flight for magic users and magical mounts.  I want to see as many adventure areas under water and above ground as there are on the ground and below ground.

Most of all, I don't want to see lazy development that completely depends on players to make content.  I want a plethora of professionally made content to rival anything that players can make.

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123

What Will is describing is very much Norrath with Ultima Online style. Such as hunting animals for hide to make leather armour - or mining ore to make metal weapons and armour.

I would like to see crafters produce the baseline armour, but also have the ability to modify and enhance rares found in dungeons.

with housing, I liked the EQ2 system where you can buy a house in different areas - except I want to expand this greatly to provide housing ALL OVER Norrath - inside the zones, close to dungeons, out in the middle of nowhere - for instance, let me hire a bunk bed and small room from a watch tower on the outskirts of Antonica.

And the NUMBER ONE!!!! thing I DO WANT!! is Recall Runes! Exactly the way Ultima Online did it.  GIMMEH!  Allow these runes to be locked to players houses so I can go there and check out interesting spots marked by other players! Or trick me by calling it "Antonica Bank" and actually going to the bottom of a snake and deamon infested dungeon!

Allow portal gates that ANYONE can use while open - again as in UO.

Give us SHIPS and far off lands / islands to explore.

Allow ways to kill other players in non traditional ways  - such as Tinkering a trapped box with a poison potion - and when it goes off, I can LAUGH in that players FACE until he DIES! muahaha

ok ok I miss UO alright?  Give me UO on Forgelight and I'll be happy.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I've been playing EQ2 for over 8 years now.  I never considered it a "great" game, but somehow its well executed endgame and cutting edge graphics have kept me playing despite having tried nearly every other thing on the market.

Having played the many disappointing titles out there lately,  my standards aren't set particularly high for the future.

I only really NEED for EQN to have one thing.  Tell me that it'll have this one thing and I'll pre-order the thing tomorrow.  

I need to know whether it has Ratonga.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Asamof

all of the magic people remember about EQ was before SOE took over, and the hate only began when smedley started interfering with game design

Smed had the idea for Everquest

some history from Brad McQuaid aka Aradune

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/devtracker/index.php?go=posts&get=thread&fromsite=1&id=51141

Smed and I founded Verant. We started our own corporation, with him as President/CEO and me as Vice President.

business article from 2002

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1208/Business-20-magazine-history-of-EverQuest#.UbdwSZzCkYs

so basically he's like george lucas then

If you have any lingering doubts just remember the major "good" city in Everquest was is and always has been Qeynos.  Spell it backwards people.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    All one needs to know is that $oe is behind it. That means it will release unfinished , overpriced, and with plenty of "promises" of fixes and content "down the road". Instead what you will get is a p2w "hybrid" pricing model with more emphasis on marketplace crap than on the actual game.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Legere

I would like to see crafters produce the baseline armour, but also have the ability to modify and enhance rares found in dungeons.

I agree with this. EQ2 crafting was pretty good towards the end (as the other parts of the game started to fold unfortunately) with drops in high end raids being able to be crafted into best in slot gear, creating a co-dependancy of sorts. Also each crafting profession was able to make adornments for different slots, and consumables, making each crafting profession desirable.

I would however like them to reinstate the original EQ2 complexity of crafting with subcomponents and a real chance at failure (which produced less than optimal items), or perhaps adopt a more Vanguard type approach.

It should be both desirable and challenging. Oh also I LOVED the crafting missions they had in EQ2. They need those again. (Like crafting armor / weapons for an army to defend against an invasion).  Group crafting... brilliant!

• Nsein1Nsein1 Member Posts: 20

Played EQ1 on and off (mostly on) since may of 99 but neither hardcore, it's been almost a week since i played last. I also played EQ2 for about 2 years from 2010-2012. The franchise over all successes are diversity in classes and large amounts of content, I personally loved content that brought people together. In my opinion the most demoralizing parts in the Everquest games are,

1- community

2- stagnation

3- separation

4- elitism

Allow me to clarify, the community in Everquest 1 and 2 are generally decent people, but both games had a way creating conflicts amongst gamers without presenting much reward for companionship. IE, if you could kill a monster with a single holy trinity group, there is no way you'd bring a raid force because the loot table did not scale. For a MMO that breeds elitism, and once there is a large separation between those who have time to play hours and days on end versus those who have real lives the people whom have real lives move on, and the game becomes a hollow shell of hardcore gamers and lost newbies without much in between. There must be ways to address this problem or no matter how much is put into EQN it will be on a shelf for most people within a half of a year.

For EQ1 LDON was the most awesome expansion ever in many people's opinions, it had scaling gear that you earned with coins for completing adventures, 3-6 people were required to start a dungeon. There was a small amount of a grind to get the points for the gear you wanted, but it was linear and you had a small choice of which instanced dungeon to do depending on what your group was capable of. Two boxing became very ineffective as people had to react quickly and differently in many circumstances people learned how to play there characters better in many cases, which made for quite the gathering of people and intermingling, socializing was at an all time high. It also had nearly impossible raid instances which gave very nice rewards.

Both EQ and EQ2 eventually introduced xp bonuses for grouping with people which helped address the MS(olo)ORPG problem small bit, but once more experienced players capped their experience they had no reason to continue normal adventuring. If i might be so bold as to introduce an idea or if someone already has introduced before I apologize, "decaying skills" in a skill based game that could be over a period of time or upon death or both, might keep people tuning up there characters instead of waiting until 15minutes before "raid time" to log in, then log out when it's over. (a problem faced by many high end guilds in both games)

As for now, my characters in both everquests have fallen way behind, and except for the occasional lost soul like myself that I run across, I am trying to figure out how to play an MMO solo, which is as stimulating as a minesweeper marathon. As far as the sandbox, I envision  mindcraft with a_moss_snake01 kicking me and I don't know how that'll go over.

My opinion on a character filling many class roles = GARBAGE. nothing pisses me off like a robe wearing wizard tanking a boss hitting him with a battle axe, I know it's fantasy, but all good fantasy has a base in reality and all of you people who want to be able to fill all rolls, there are already 100 games out there you can do that in, most of them solo player game, EQ's glory days were holy trinity days, it went to rubbish when people could start killing group content solo because they could fill every role.