Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Issiea

I love my PC and would never swap it for anything else.

It just feels like the type of games for consoles are much different and I don't think you would get the same playability of a PC to a console.  Maybe in future this may change with technology etc., it just isn't there yet.

I've started playing more and more games on my xbox controller.  The biggest advantage of PC is customizations.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

The more games (specifically online games) move to action-based combat over other forms of combat, the more the lines get blurred.

Not only that, consoles have come a long way. They didn't even have headsets not long ago and now you can even get keyboards and all kinds of other peripherals. With things like Steambox on the way, lines will get blurred even more. And it's probably for the best. Competition breeds innovation which will hopefully result in better games along the way.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Definitely an interesting subject for conversation, but I'm not convinced consoles are the way to go for all PC gamers.

PC's are going to have the smaller developers catering to them.  PC's are going to have games like Star Citizen.  PC's are going to be the way to go for gamers looking for projects made not to appeal to the masses, but to appeal to real hobbyists. 

Plus, personally at least, I prefer gaming on my desktop.  Sitting at my desk in my chair beats lounging on the couch when playing most games I'm interested in.

That said, steambox might bring about some further considerations.

Typical consoles though have only ever been a tool for when you have other people over and want to have fun, for me.  They've never been my go to for solo gaming sessions.  For shit like mario kart and smash bros though, they're great. 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Have to use voice chat with MMORPG console gaming + control issues with hotkeys etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I understand where the OP is coming from.  Spending tons of money constantly chasing the best PC is a huge waste, and I would not recommend that.  I update mine ever 4-5 years or until I really need it, then buy something just slightly behind the best specs because the price difference is so much.

But to say that Consoles might be better or equal to PC's is such a joke its not even funny.  I dont know about you but I use my PC for millions of things that are not gaming (such as forums thank you very much).  To think that anyone would ever not want or use a decent PC all the time I just find crazy.  I use it all the time every day, its just such an amazing tool to forsake that is beyond my comprehension.  If you have a hard time justifying spending money on ok gaming PC (which is all it really takes) then just do bitcoin mining on the machine and let it pay for itself a bit over those years.  And OK machine should be able to pay for any gaming related upgrades just from that over the years of its use (say $500-1000), can a PS4 do that?

Anyways I'm playing 'Remember Me' on my PC right now with highest settings on a little bit older PC that cost less the 1k.  So I dont really see any reason to need more then when I have got or any reason to spend double or triple what I had.

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32

Man nobody wants to hear that shit, PC gaming is its own. Console gaming is it's own as well, while they both have their similarities, their differences is really want make them stand out. PC's will always be capable of doing stuff that consoles can't and that's because consoles are limited. I will buy a PS4 but that's not because i think its better than a PC, hell no, but because of the exclusive releases that it'll get. 

Don't get me wrong either the PS4 has some great stuff to it, but you should never compare a PC to a console just for the very sake of limitation. 

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Other than Elder Scrolls, what big name MMOs are coming to consoles?

- Planetside 2

- DCUO

- FFIV: ARR

- Possibly EQNext

add here

-Destiny

-TheDivision

both looked awesome, but what common they have ? third person shooter ...  a fantasy game for PC it will have to be nerfed and become an action MMO and less RPG

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Why on earth the new consoles don't include a keyboard mouse and Web browser that alone would kill the pc off

If they did that then there really wouldn't be any need for a pc for 80%  of people

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Consoles are the future. If you want to do very basic PC stuff that can't be done on a PS4, buy a notebook cheap. Hopefully we can do most of the things that can be done on a PC on future consoles.

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I've concluded everyone who is saying console's are the future have terrible computers. /noflame 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Consoles are the future. If you want to do very basic PC stuff that can't be done on a PS4, buy a notebook cheap. Hopefully we can do most of the things that can be done on a PC on future consoles.

Think you have a slight misunderstanding of what a console and a PC are capable of, and while the PS4 may be a fairly capable games machine - more capable than the xbox one by all accounts, its still not even close to having the same capability as a PC, the 'next gen' of consoles are actually very underpowered when compared to even an average PC, even my old system, which barely classes as a mid range PC is capable of far more than any of the upcoming consoles, and while there are a number of MMO's starting to appear on the 'next gen' consoles, they have yet to port a mainstream MMO to them, there are still far too many limitations in the consoles to make them a viable alternative to owning a PC, even if you consider a notebook etc, for browsing.. which is a bit disingenuous at best. And then we approach an even bigger elephant in the room, these 'next gen' consoles may well be the last of their kind, there is a reason why their adopting PC architecture, and both companies, Microsoft and Sony, are gambling the farm on them. And if i was a share holder i'd be dumping microsofts at the moment image

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Consoles are becoming better at doing basic PC functions. But smartphones are becoming better at doing console style gaming. Both are being squeezed.

I always find it interesting when console owners talk about the PC being squeezed out. You have direct competition in the console market, yet you have more than one console and they are thriving. So why should the PC not be thriving?

I noticed the notebook idea as well, buying multiple devices is your answer to a console not have PC functionality? Just get a mid ranged PC why put up with second best?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Scot

Consoles are becoming better at doing basic PC functions. But smartphones are becoming better at doing console style gaming. Both are being squeezed.

I always find it interesting when console owners talk about the PC being squeezed out. You have direct competition in the console market, yet you have more than one console and they are thriving. So why should the PC not be thriving?

In some ways i'd say the smart phone market is actually squeezing out the console one, console games sales have been in steady decline, but smartphones are booming, and i can easily imagine people buying a smartphone over a console, simply because their so 'portable' and the games on smart phones are getting better, much better.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf
    Originally posted by granit1024

We know that a PC has better hardware, can be used for much more than games and has a more flexible input system (kb/mouse). The games on PC can have higher frame rates and look better.  You can build a super-pc for $38. 

I don't care. I like sitting on the couch playing games. I play games that are not released for the PC. I play games that are released on multiple platforms. Why should you care if I play my games on my PS4/XBOX? I don't need the latest gfx and best fps. I just played ME3 on  an old console and had a blast. There is more to gaming than the latest hardware. 

Why is it that PC-only gamers get so raging mad because people have consoles for their gaming? 

Because its simple(we not mad btw, we just trying to 'teach' the slower ones) - A pc, a cheaply built one, can and WILL do anything and Everything you want it for (IE sitting on couch with a controller playing on the 53 inch TV) for CHEAPER than the console does. PLUS you can use said pc for MANY MORE THINGS. IE: think entire entertainment system(TV, radio, stereo, gaming system, hell, even your PHONE) in ONE device. And all at the same time if u so choose.

WHY purposely limit yourself because some 'flashy' ad says the console is how to go. Why not RESEARCH a little before u buy?

Analogously, I could state that you don't even need a computer or console for entertainment. Your mind is alone capable of creating so much better and so much more than any current computer and console can. 

Why the fck spend money on games, when you already have your own fcking brain to do better?

Originally posted by motherofserpents

PC will always be superior. far superior. you can make an entry level PC for the projected release prices of a PS4 or shitBoxOne and get a far better gaming machine... that is also a computer.

consoles? hah. enjoy gaming at 30fps on shit resolutions with overpriced games with 10 hrs of content.

Yes, because graphics is certainly one of the most important aspects of a game. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

LOL, love it. Consoles are currently struggling to find ways to compete with PCs. They're becoming more and more like a PC, because PCs are technically superior in just about every way.

And yet, on this site, it's the PCs that are dying! Long live the consoles! I swear it's like an alternate reality on this site sometimes.

- I suppose if you only use a PC to play MMOs & watch youtube, then maybe it doesn't make sense to keep one around. However, many people get a lot more mileage out of their PCs.

Originally posted by aesperus

LOL, love it. Consoles are currently struggling to find ways to compete with PCs. They're becoming more and more like a PC, because PCs are technically superior in just about every way.

And yet, on this site, it's the PCs that are dying! Long live the consoles! I swear it's like an alternate reality on this site sometimes.

- I suppose if you only use a PC to play MMOs & watch youtube, then maybe it doesn't make sense to keep one around. However, many people get a lot more mileage out of their PCs.

Do you have a source where the two markets are compared from a company economic standpoint? I.e. which market is more lucrative?

Originally posted by Rasputin
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Are you going to do your homework on a console?

Are you gonna do any modding on a console?

Are you gonna do any graphics on a console?

Are you gonna do any music on a console?

Are you gonna do any programming on a console?

If you want to do anything else than gaming, playing videos, listening to music and maybe browsing, you will need a PC of some kind (minimum a laptop).

Especially if you want to create something.

Who is so poor that they cannot afford both consoles and a pc. And if you are that poor: should you be playing games in the first place?

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Pathfinder Online I am sure will not be ported to console. Don't think AA will be playable on a console either. We do need more PCs games to be made with real depth and graphics that consoles can not provide. These dumbed down games for the last few years just suck. Give me back my true RPGs with 100s of hours of game play or a true open world with content for a MMO. I do miss my RPGs terribly what they call RPGs today are just movie driven action adventures that are to easy and boring as hell.

Until they stop catering to the lazy audience we won't see MMO's last as long as they use to.

Do that lazy audience include all those that aren't able to afford both pc and consoles?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i think the title question fits more towards tablets for gaming. PC will always be worth owning for many purposes, not just for gaming. Also for people who likes console then those are as well very much worth owning. I personally wouldnt give up on my PC for any console, but i would definitely have a console as well. DIfferent systems, different games, different type of support.... different experiences. I am a happy PC/console gamer (and this holyday with the ps4 + my pc ill be a lot happier)

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Who is so poor that they cannot afford both consoles and a pc. And if you are that poor: should you be playing games in the first place?

Its a depression, what world do you live in?  Yes if you cannot afford a extra $500 and $60 per game, you should get a second or third job (with high unemployment) or sit in a ditch instead of having entertainment or releasing any of your stress.  Damn those hard working poor people for wanting to enjoy parts of their life.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Wherever you find the games you want, that's where you'll be.

Personally all the games I love are on PC still.  Any game on both PC and console which involves camera manipulation (FPSes and other games like MMOs with mouselook) I will always choose PC because a controller is inferior for that kind of viewing.  It'll continue to be that way unless they did a trackball-controller as the default controller on a console (because then you'd be able to learn how to be just as pinpoint accurate as you can be with a mouse.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by aesperus

Do you have a source where the two markets are compared from a company economic standpoint? I.e. which market is more lucrative?

You'd have to combine multiple points of data.

I.E. Consoles dominate one market (the casual / core gaming market), which is actually competing w/ mobile gaming atm.

PCs, on the other hand, go well beyond the gaming market. They're used for nearly all industries; for work, for social networking, for entertainment, for education. There's a reason most households have at least one computer nowadays. I don't think I know anyone who doesn't use a computer on a regular basis. I know quite a few people who don't touch consoles at all.

This is all also avoiding the technical issues behind consoles trying to offer more with each generation; yet are still lagging well behind your average computer. Just compare the specs with any of the consoles against the average consumer-grade PC on the market nowadays. Many consoles don't do 60fps, they don't have the same processing power, the harddrive space is archaic, etc. etc. etc. They're mostly staying competitive by taking a loss on the consoles, and trying to make it up via publishing games / getting exclusives. There's a reason you see companies like microsoft trying to side-step into other markets. It just doesn't make sense to try and compete w/ PCs via specs.

Originally posted by dgarbini

Its a depression, what world do you live in?  Yes if you cannot afford a extra $500 and $60 per game, you should get a second or third job (with high unemployment) or sit in a ditch instead of having entertainment or releasing any of your stress.  Damn those hard working poor people for wanting to enjoy parts of their life.

LOL.

Shhh!! we're still in a recession. The gov't tells us so!

Originally posted by dgarbini

A world where if you have education and dedication, you are doing just fine. Only exception would be countries with insane economic issues such as Greece (Italy, U.S.A. and Spain do not qualify).

Those hard working (except they got there in the first place for not working hard with the things that they should have)  poor people, can start using their imagination and play sports. Soccer works perfectly well for many poor people.

This discussion has been closed.