Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Gaming Platform Will You Choose?

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Calerxes
    I'm going for Xbox One as its a more versatile unit than the PS4 and I feel Microsoft for the first time are actually innovating and thinking of the future. The Xbox One is aimed at the whole family use not just the gamers which for me is where they'll beat Sony. I used to avoid Microsoft products and dual booted Linux for years, but I now use Windows 8 and Windows 8 Phone and soon an Xbox One and maybe a Surface but certainly a Windows 8 Tablet as well. I then can then have all my devices linked and speaking the same language and this is what Microsoft are pushing forward with and no other company can offer such an interconnected and simple set of systems. 

The radical direction Windows 8 is taking computer devices has caught the competition cold and they are now having to play catch up with Apple, Google and Blackberry redesigning their OS's to be more friendly to touch and mobile devices. Once people get used to metro on mobile devices they'll wonder what all the negative fuss was about and with Xbox One they'll get to use it in there living rooms. But the real beauty is that finally after 20 years we finally have proper competition in the OS market its just now for Apple and Google to step up. Xbox One could be the first all purpose computer device at the heart of family life and that for me is a breakthrough and as its basically a computer its should be good for gamers as the days of hardware specific games will become a thing of the past. You just choose what service you access your games from. PS Network, Steam, Xbox Live and maybe more.  

You're not going to access games from the PS Network or Steam on the XBox One.

I meant in the future, specific consoles will be obsolete the whole gaming industry is moving to services the tech will be agnostic. This is probably the last console war, all that will be left is services. Xbox itself is not a gaming platform anymore its a suite of services Music, Film, TV, Books and Games and the Xbox One is a realisation of this strategy. Sony themselves are just behind the curve and I imagine Steam with eventually change, its already stocking Software and I bet they are looking at other things. Enjoy the last "my consoles better than yours" debates. image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Lol calerex

You think Google and Apple are shitting themselves over win 8 and having to radically redesign their OSs to keep up. Win 8 is a huge flop, its sold less than Vista, which Is why Microsoft are radically redesigning their OS. As for winphones - lol.

Bloody hell do you work for Microsoft!

If you cannot even get my Internet name right, should I even take the rest of the post seriously? I'd calm down first I didn't come around to your house and shoot your cat, just breath it helps.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No its moving away from freely pulling services and locking you into hardware.

Xbox will only let you buy online through microsoft
    Ps4 might allow steam like ps3, but I doubt it.
    Apple force you to buy through them on their kit.
    Microsoft force you to buy their front screen crap through them on pc with win 8. They would love to make win 9 an xbox like setup where all games have to come through ms.
    Steam box will limit you to steam
    Amazons pad thing limits you to them
    Android heavily pushes Google play

Platforms are getting more closed. Apple and Microsoft are at the forefront of this "revoloution"
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by lizardbones I selected PS4, because it's focused on gaming, the PS+ membership seems reasonable, and if I have the PS4, I'd be a lot less likely to upgrade my PC.
    Yep.

I might actually sell my PC and Xbox 360 and pre-order a PS4 and buy a used PS3.

Whoa, that's just crazy talk there.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Calerxes I'm going for Xbox One as its a more versatile unit than the PS4 and I feel Microsoft for the first time are actually innovating and thinking of the future. The Xbox One is aimed at the whole family use not just the gamers which for me is where they'll beat Sony. I used to avoid Microsoft products and dual booted Linux for years, but I now use Windows 8 and Windows 8 Phone and soon an Xbox One and maybe a Surface but certainly a Windows 8 Tablet as well. I then can then have all my devices linked and speaking the same language and this is what Microsoft are pushing forward with and no other company can offer such an interconnected and simple set of systems.      The radical direction Windows 8 is taking computer devices has caught the competition cold and they are now having to play catch up with Apple, Google and Blackberry redesigning their OS's to be more friendly to touch and mobile devices. Once people get used to metro on mobile devices they'll wonder what all the negative fuss was about and with Xbox One they'll get to use it in there living rooms. But the real beauty is that finally after 20 years we finally have proper competition in the OS market its just now for Apple and Google to step up. Xbox One could be the first all purpose computer device at the heart of family life and that for me is a breakthrough and as its basically a computer its should be good for gamers as the days of hardware specific games will become a thing of the past. You just choose what service you access your games from. PS Network, Steam, Xbox Live and maybe more.  
    You're not going to access games from the PS Network or Steam on the XBox One.  

I meant in the future, specific consoles will be obsolete the whole gaming industry is moving to services the tech will be agnostic. This is probably the last console war, all that will be left is services. Xbox itself is not a gaming platform anymore its a suite of services Music, Film, TV, Books and Games and the Xbox One is a realisation of this strategy. Sony themselves are just behind the curve and I imagine Steam with eventually change, its already stocking Software and I bet they are looking at other things. Enjoy the last "my consoles better than yours" debates. 

Gotcher.

It is interesting that there are several players in the market who will stream games to clients rather than have them execute on clients. There also Nvidia's plan to have games stream from an Nvidia powered PC to their handheld client, and Sony's idea of streaming games from the PS4 to the Vita. It's all kind of cool.

No its moving away from freely pulling services and locking you into hardware.Xbox will only let you buy online through microsoftPs4 might allow steam like ps3, but I doubt it.Apple force you to buy through them on their kit.Microsoft force you to buy their front screen crap through them on pc with win 8. They would love to make win 9 an xbox like setup where all games have to come through ms.Steam box will limit you to steamAmazons pad thing limits you to themAndroid heavily pushes Google playPlatforms are getting more closed. Apple and Microsoft are at the forefront of this "revoloution"

Yup. I'm a bit saddened by this. It might change with streaming services, but even there you're probably going to be locked into specific platforms. The same thing is happening with streaming movies and television. You can't get just Hulu, you need Hulu and Netflix, or you have to pick the one that has what you want.

No its moving away from freely pulling services and locking you into hardware.

Xbox will only let you buy online through microsoft
    Ps4 might allow steam like ps3, but I doubt it.
    Apple force you to buy through them on their kit.
    Microsoft force you to buy their front screen crap through them on pc with win 8. They would love to make win 9 an xbox like setup where all games have to come through ms.
    Steam box will limit you to steam
    Amazons pad thing limits you to them
    Android heavily pushes Google play

Platforms are getting more closed. Apple and Microsoft are at the forefront of this "revoloution"

These new consoles are basic PC's thats all and people will start to demand that they access all services through them and Microsoft have been seeing this for years, they even had Microsoft entertainment PC's a few years ago, the market wasn't ready for it though. Xbox One is just a new attempt to get Windows at the heart of the living room, others have to step up or the market will go back to being a monopoly, Google are watching this closely as well as Apple. Apple were rumored to have a game console in the making a few years ago and I hope them and Google take a leaf out of Microsoft's book and make an all in one similar to Xbox One, Sony really have missed a trick here, Google and Apple have the services already to go they just need to put together a basic PC in a box run a new improved Android/OS7 and sell it on the back of Android phones and tablets, Iphones and Ipads. Then you will have real competition in the market place and an open access platform will be the most popular not a locked down one.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

Normaly I would only go for PC ... well but theres MGS5 ... only for this game I will buy the PS4 (same I did with PS3 and MGS4).

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by coretex666

This whole console boom and its potential impact on MMORPGs makes me sad.

Not that current MMORPGs were shining with depth and complexity, but something tells me that if the developers want to make games for console crowd which represents a huge market, they will have to adjust the games to these customers' expectations / wants / demands.

To be honest I expect all you have to do is look at Defiance to see the future, sad to say. Oh, it can be fun as hell to play, to be sure, but it has all the depth of a parking lot puddle and, even without the non-stop bugs, quickly grows old. One starter area and storyline. A main quest that takes a day, maybe two, to finish, and a world you can drive from one end of to the other in less than fifteen minutes. Content so easy you can literally do everything in the game with your starter weapon. No crafting, no AH, no bank, no mail. Utterly horrid and mostly broken chat and clan (guild) systems. VoIP that's... Well, good for amusement value and not much else. A console UI that's downright painful to use on the PC.

Hopefully TESO, Destiny, et al will manage to do a bit better than Trion has with Defiance -- it's hard to imagine anyone doing worse -- but end the end I expect the same fundamental flaws will be there.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Pc and PS4 for me.

Not hard to get high ratings when your market share is below 4% like the Windows mobile platform. ROFL.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Xbox One has got my attention. Just got done watching Sony's E3 showing and I must say that Microsofts was way better.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Depends, is the PS4 still a Blu-Ray player?

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Yes, Still plays blu rays and DVDs. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Caldrin

PC only for me..

If for some silly reason i was forced to have a console as well it would be the PS4 hands down.

Yeah Im the same ......I never even bought a 360 or PS3....I figure once the other 2 come out I'll look at the older consoles for 1/4 the price.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Not going to get EITHER of the new consoles. My new gaming PC is already far ahead of what little they have to offer. 

Let's party like it is 1863!

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    i started planing upgrading my pc, and then e3 came and 349 pound price on ps4 and all good stuff made me consider ps4, but then i saw price tags on ps4 games, 55 pounds,  you gotta be fucking kidding me?  i can afford ps4, but i wont be able to afford those games, and since there are so few games that hold my interest and even fewer that i play at all, its just no go, ill stick with upgrading my pc, and continue getting games for 30 pounds those that are worth it
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I'm definitely getting PS4. Been happy with all the others. I already have a PC that plays everything I want on max. Most of my pc gaming tends to be mmo anyway lol. Played lots of games on the ps3. Friend and I would buy different games and loan them to each other. Glad we will still be able to do this.

Xbox, never had a reason to buy. The few games I wanted to play on it, ended up on the PC which I then played.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Don't want to sound too ranty... but: bad poll. Sorry.

First, polls always suffer when there are too many options, because it doesn't help to see a trend. Senators are also just asked yay or nay and not 5 different in betweens.

Second, PC is irrelevant here. I assume everyone here HAS a PC and at least sometimes used it for gaming. So the question of interest and the ideal poll would look like this

- XBOX one

- PS4

- both

You also need no "none" option, because if you want to know if people prefer Pepsi or Coke, people who don't even drink Cola don't matter in such a poll. Sorry if it sounds harsh or berating. But too many polls these days.

And before you re-rant: I am a Social Scientist. I have a university degree in poll making! =P

Thank god for me... no wait that is taken. Damn.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162
    PC only, I cant support any of what the consoles are trying to do, and PC gaming is just getting better.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Elikal

First, polls always suffer when there are too many options, because it doesn't help to see a trend. Senators are also just asked yay or nay and not 5 different in betweens.

Second, PC is irrelevant here. I assume everyone here HAS a PC and at least sometimes used it for gaming. So the question of interest and the ideal poll would look like this

- XBOX one

- PS4

- both

You also need no "none" option, because if you want to know if people prefer Pepsi or Coke, people who don't even drink Cola don't matter in such a poll. Sorry if it sounds harsh or berating. But too many polls these days.

And before you re-rant: I am a Social Scientist. I have a university degree in poll making! =P

PC is relevant since many may own consoles and PC's but don't plan on getting another console since they don't play them much. Like me. I own a console but don't play it much. Haven't for a couple months actually. My PC is far in front of current consoles and future consoles that I have no desire to play a console.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Don't want to sound too ranty... but: bad poll. Sorry.First, polls always suffer when there are too many options, because it doesn't help to see a trend. Senators are also just asked yay or nay and not 5 different in betweens.Second, PC is irrelevant here. I assume everyone here HAS a PC and at least sometimes used it for gaming. So the question of interest and the ideal poll would look like this- XBOX one- PS4- both You also need no "none" option, because if you want to know if people prefer Pepsi or Coke, people who don't even drink Cola don't matter in such a poll. Sorry if it sounds harsh or berating. But too many polls these days.And before you re-rant: I am a Social Scientist. I have a university degree in poll making! =PThank god for me... no wait that is taken. Damn.

You actually think there's a poll on these forums that's somehow meaningful and which will lead to actual insight into what people are thinking? Really?

As stated in the OP, "PC" means people are going to buy a new PC rather than any console. If people want it to, it can mean, "Sticking with PC". Whatevs. Again, it's a forum poll, don't get too excited about it.

"Muffins" is the "Other, none and everything else" option. However, since we're in a forum, if the answer a person wants isn't in the poll, people have the option of stating their opinion. Which is (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone) the entire point of this thread existing in the first place.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

- XBOX one

- PS4

- both

You actually think there's a poll on these forums that's somehow meaningful and which will lead to actual insight into what people are thinking? Really?

As stated in the OP, "PC" means people are going to buy a new PC rather than any console. If people want it to, it can mean, "Sticking with PC". Whatevs. Again, it's a forum poll, don't get too excited about it.

"Muffins" is the "Other, none and everything else" option. However, since we're in a forum, if the answer a person wants isn't in the poll, people have the option of stating their opinion. Which is (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone) the entire point of this thread existing in the first place.

Sigh... ah yes the good old nihilism argument. "Nothing has meaning". Yes probably that is true, but at least I have some fun coming to this forum and PRETENDING it has meaning while I am here. At least here as I gamer I would want to know, do you buy XBOX One or PS4 now? Because it is much more clarifying if you force people to decide that allowing them a jack of all trades... ohhh I cant decide because I am a princess can I haz all pls... Seriously. We are adults. We are MEN. We are GAMERS. Make a frigging decision. Yes or No. =P

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Blazer6992

They are both blue-ray players.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    PS4 + PC. It's about time for me to get a new PC as well.

Originally posted by Elikal Don't want to sound too ranty... but: bad poll. Sorry.   First, polls always suffer when there are too many options, because it doesn't help to see a trend. Senators are also just asked yay or nay and not 5 different in betweens. Second, PC is irrelevant here. I assume everyone here HAS a PC and at least sometimes used it for gaming. So the question of interest and the ideal poll would look like this - XBOX one - PS4 - both   You also need no "none" option, because if you want to know if people prefer Pepsi or Coke, people who don't even drink Cola don't matter in such a poll. Sorry if it sounds harsh or berating. But too many polls these days. And before you re-rant: I am a Social Scientist. I have a university degree in poll making! =P Thank god for me... no wait that is taken. Damn.
    You actually think there's a poll on these forums that's somehow meaningful and which will lead to actual insight into what people are thinking? Really? As stated in the OP, "PC" means people are going to buy a new PC rather than any console. If people want it to, it can mean, "Sticking with PC". Whatevs. Again, it's a forum poll, don't get too excited about it. "Muffins" is the "Other, none and everything else" option. However, since we're in a forum, if the answer a person wants isn't in the poll, people have the option of stating their opinion. Which is (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone) the entire point of this thread existing in the first place.  
    Sigh... ah yes the good old nihilism argument. "Nothing has meaning". Yes probably that is true, but at least I have some fun coming to this forum and PRETENDING it has meaning while I am here. At least here as I gamer I would want to know, do you buy XBOX One or PS4 now? Because it is much more clarifying if you force people to decide that allowing them a jack of all trades... ohhh I cant decide because I am a princess can I haz all pls... Seriously. We are adults. We are MEN. We are GAMERS. Make a frigging decision. Yes or No. =P

It's not nihilism. The answer just isn't in the polls because they are forum polls. We don't even know if it's real people or bots answering the poll. The real answers, if there are any, are in the thread itself.

Anyway, the answer is buy a PS4 and upgrade your PC if you want. Also, bake some muffins. When you're done with the muffins, make some real polls someplace and ask us to answer them.

I apparently did make a real poll. Go figure.

Another thread I started on what Sony is charging for the PS+ service