Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Comments

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

At this point, buying a console basically like buying a Dell with Sony or Microsoft branding on it.

• OnimorOnimor Member Posts: 24

I don't know if PC is still worth it. That's an honest response and here is why..

No access to any real exclusive games.

Can't trade any games you buy.

Are expensive to build to out perform console.

The fact console is now getting exclusive MMO's  as well. The corporations may now be winning.

Mods aren't enough for me to miss out on games like The Division and Destiny. 

Now that they are supporting indie devs more now as well, is another boot to the PC nuts.

Times they be changing...

The one thing PC had up on console was stunning graphics. It wont be that much better for another five years.

The design of the ps4 and the sheer power of  it, I can see over heating problems. I think the overheating was why Black Flag kept freezing.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    How are you supposed to chat on a console? Chatting is one of the main things (IMO) that make an MMO different than a single player RPG
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You guys don't get it.

Consoles are cheaper than pcs because they are loss leaders

They deliberately don't make a profit on a console because they know they will get the money back on the 30%-50% markup they get from every single console game.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by discord235
    How are you supposed to chat on a console? Chatting is one of the main things (IMO) that make an MMO different than a single player RPG

Voice chat, or thumb keypad.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Voice chat, or thumb keypad.

you can't voice chat in a zone with 100+ people...everyone would just be talking over each other...and do you mean to actually try and type in a chat room with a controller??

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

How do you chat on a PC?

Voice chat or keyboard. Same thing on consoles.

Are people under the impression that consoles work via magic and have bizarre input methods? For the last 7 years, controllers have been USB. Consoles are basically PC's with closed proprietary OS's.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You guys don't get it.

They deliberately don't make a profit on a console because they know they will get the money back on the 30%-50% markup they get from every single console game.

I read that the new console games will hay cd-keys that will be bound to your account and you wont be able to sell used games any more as well. So they plan on making even more money on the sell of games. This will also make it harder to Pirate games as you will also need to be online to play them. 

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You guys don't get it.

I read that the new console games will hay cd-keys that will be bound to your account and you wont be able to sell used games any more as well. So they plan on making even more money on the sell of games. This will also make it harder to Pirate games as you will also need to be online to play them. 

How about instead of stating something like this you actually follow it up with a link to a source? As I certainly haven't heard anything about that as of yet.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• UO4everUO4ever Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Rusque Consoles are basically PC's with closed proprietary OS's.

I hear that ..

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the day PCs stop being worth owning over shitty consoles is the day we have nero implants that allow us to access banking info and personal day planners and phone books.

as that day has yet to even become a fertilized egg in the brain of a brainiac i dont see why you wouldnt want to own a pc as well as console :/

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Only because of Eve Online :) and wow. But soon all this will go in to oblivion with new games like destiny. Well  consoles are future for gamers, time of pc is gone

Funny you say that since consoles are becoming more like computers.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Only because of Eve Online :) and wow. But soon all this will go in to oblivion with new games like destiny. Well  consoles are future for gamers, time of pc is gone

I think that is the general point of the thread: Consoles are going crazy trying to 'emulate' or copy a pc, while a pc can 'emulate' most consoles without much effort or strain.

Just as an expeirment, take the 'cash value' of a xbox 1, and 'build' a low end pc with it. Its more than possible, and that 'low end' pc will out preform the xbox at pretty much ANYTHING the xbox can do... and then some.

Like i said earlier, consoles would be better off going back to basics: The old style NES/SNES where u punched in the cart, and off u go, playing. No silly OS to worry about, stop trying to 'be' something your not, and just put all your effort into making the hardware DEDICATED to a game and no more.

We, as consumers, have other 'tools' we can use for ALL the other junk consoles are trying to 'do' now. Stop trying to beat all the cellphones, dvd players, smart tv's, computers, at races you can't possiblly even QUALIFY in, let alone win, and just do what you (once) do best: GAMES!

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Until an open garden console comes a long (steam box) a PC will always trump consoles IMO. User generated content, control over settings (seriously nothing pisses me off more than not having vsync enabled on a console game with no way to force it on), choice of control methods (some games work well with a controller, others demand a kB/M, I want to make that choice for myself which I can on PC), cheaper games, even brand new most games are cheaper on PC, more control over when to upgrade, etc.

Walled gardens are a huge bummer, only walled garden worse than consoles is Apples.
  • TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I think that is the general point of the thread: Consoles are going crazy trying to 'emulate' or copy a pc, while a pc can 'emulate' most consoles without much effort or strain.

Just as an expeirment, take the 'cash value' of a xbox 1, and 'build' a low end pc with it. Its more than possible, and that 'low end' pc will out preform the xbox at pretty much ANYTHING the xbox can do... and then some.

There are a ton of features that a PC has that a console will never have.  An XBox will not help me do my taxes or do video editing for me.  If you already need a PC for other stuff then the cost of gaming plummets vs a console since the price differential becomes just the cost of upgrading a basic work PC to one that can play games. 

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    i would say now more than ever with consoles trying to screw their users over as hard as possible.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

Its a no brainer for me anymore. I have been building custom rigs for over 30 years now and I am done because there just isn't any cost to value ratio for me anymore. I have built massive custom rigs myself from 1k-5k over that time and in the end most games have yet to push or tax any of my systems to justify the expense. Its not a money issue for me but a change of thinking and change of way I game anymore. I simply don't game for 10 hour stretches or more like the old days and I have yet to see any MMO in the last 5 years draw me in and blow me away other than LOTRO in Hi res DX 11 textures which is gorgeous. However, beauty is subjective with games today when they play like absolute crap.

Between the Steam box and PS4, I don't need to build another rig nor do I have the desire anymore. I rather buy a new Custom Shop Strat or a new Les Paul :)

And bouncing off of this is the PC/console industry is dependent on the games.  If the games are a fail everything else falls like a tower of cards.  I think I just saw a spade float by.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    I was also thinking about buying am expensive PC one day to play MMOs but that doesn't seem necessary anymore. The console won't release for months and we already have Planetside 2, ESO, DCUO, FFXIV and some quasi MMOs.

If anything I will probably get two PS4s so my hubby and I can play together ;)
  • xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Other than Elder Scrolls, what big name MMOs are coming to consoles?

- Planetside 2

- DCUO

- FFIV: ARR

- Possibly EQNext

Let's not forget Destiny. I know Bungie likes to use the term "Shared World Shooter" but given the evolution of MMO, it's an MMO and looking damn fine.

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94
    Originally posted by Swiftrevoir

Is it worth being male and owning a penis?  The answer is indubitably yes.  However some of my best times were playing EQOA/FFXI on PS2 so still be excited about console MMOs as long as the port is good.  The introduction of console gamers to the scene is not to push the PC players out, but simply to add them to the pool.  This is not a one or the other matter, it is an inclusion based on preference.  Those with consoles who might have had the inclination to play MMOs but were limited by either means or playstyle preference will now have more choices afforded to them within our favorite genre.   

So this is a "YAY for everyone" moment, not a "lets pick who is best" moment.  Unless that is you're afraid of the wave of console gamers and their fabulous cursing skills trapsing around in your digital worlds, insulting your digital mamas.

^

This

Own both and will continue to own both as long as I'm able. I'm excited for my console only friends to get a shot at Planetside 2, EQNext and the likes. I see it as drawing the two groups together. There will always be the tools on both sides that declare the superiority of their preferred platform but in the middle of that will be a group that play both. I went through many years of PC only but then picked up a PS3 and so glad I didn't miss out on the Uncharted or Infamous series. Subsequently I have a friend who has always been console only and then the GW2 no-sub caught his attention and now splits time between the platforms. Times are a changin' for the better!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    I have no plans of trading in my PC. I still wish Microsoft would make a gaming OS though.
  • MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Difference is...you can always upgrade the power of a PC.  You have to buy an all new system and library of games in most cases with a console.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    PC gaming will always be better until they can get better with UI on console. Anything that was made with console in mind when made for PC at the same time, the UI has always sucked. Defiance is the latest one to come to mind. The UI on PC is horrible at best as it was made for console navigation. Chat is another thing. Until they fix the lag problems thru the console servers, your better off on PC utilizing a 3rd party chat system with their own servers, and if chat goes down on console, forget about typing unless you have something like the chatpad on the 360. Then there is the fact that you get more from a PC in the fact of changing your key setup, or expanding it with specialized keyboards. Can't do that with a console. Might be able to move around the buttons, but can't set up your own sequence. Not to mention your restricted to the consoles hardware, with PC, just upgrade to something better and it will still play all the games you could before without having to buy another PC cause it wasn't "backwards compatible"
  • IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

I love my PC and would never swap it for anything else.

It just feels like the type of games for consoles are much different and I don't think you would get the same playability of a PC to a console.  Maybe in future this may change with technology etc., it just isn't there yet.

This discussion has been closed.