Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... 10,000,000+ box sales?

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    You prolly read something misleading....that would never happen though

Huh? Skyrim sold 7,000,000 units the first week. ESO PC + Xbox + PS? It'll hit 10 mil easy.

Skyrim = SINGLE PLAYER RPG.

TESO = MMORPG

TESO may top 2 or even 3 million in sales, half of those sales will come from people thinking they are buying another SRPG or thinking they are getting a multiplayer TES RPG, and will leave once they realize the game is nothing like SKYRIM outside of graphics and names. Then, once the remaining people realize they are playing DaoC in a TES skin and that they wont be able to even walk into 2/3rds of the games lands with the players of those lands, they will leave. The game will go F2P just like SWTOR.

Massive game design limitations only made greater because it now has console MMO limitations as well, limits I knew was coming by actually LISTENING to what the developers were saying, and their complete disconnection from reality. They have done nothing to actually target TES players other than using TES graphics and names and TES fan page and official forums PROVE it.

Some will buy because of the name without actually looking into it, that's they little they gain by going to console...something that does nothing to actually bring more TES fans in...to stay.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

i'd say 5 - 6 million, maybe. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Huh? Skyrim sold 7,000,000 units the first week. ESO PC + Xbox + PS? It'll hit 10 mil easy.

Not everyone likes MMORPGs.. and those who do like MMORPGs prob own a PC capable of playing MMORPGs.. sure it might bring in some new people but not that many and I dont expect it to be as popular as Skyrim.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jtcgs

TESO = MMORPG

TESO may top 2 or even 3 million in sales, half of those sales will come from people thinking they are buying another SRPG or thinking they are getting a multiplayer TES RPG, and will leave once they realize the game is nothing like SKYRIM outside of graphics and names. Then, once the remaining people realize they are playing DaoC in a TES skin and that they wont be able to even walk into 2/3rds of the games lands with the players of those lands, they will leave. The game will go F2P just like SWTOR.

Massive game design limitations only made greater because it now has console MMO limitations as well, limits I knew was coming by actually LISTENING to what the developers were saying, and their complete disconnection from reality. They have done nothing to actually target TES players other than using TES graphics and names and TES fan page and official forums PROVE it.

Some will buy because of the name without actually looking into it, that's they little they gain by going to console...something that does nothing to actually bring more TES fans in...to stay.

At least we know where you're coming from...same bitter old crap that a handful of you constantly shoehorn into every ESO thread. ESO has 400+ hours of solo questing game play. Skyrim had what? Maybe 200 before you started adding mods? Mods that are there only for the 20% or so who play it on PCs.

Keep on dreaming about the ESO failure that will somehow make you right...which is obviously the most important thing for you.

Nah... I'll stick with my 10 Mil+ prediction... unless the "true TES fans" begin a massive ad campaign against it and somehow, someone actually listens to you without rolling their eyes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

10 mill is dreaming. Skyrim sold as high due to more than its IP, people had also been waiting years just for some suggestion of a sequel to Oblivion and when they finally got it, they jumped on it in droves. Plus, they knew what they were getting. They also know with ESO, and that's not a good thing. It's not the same kind of game, so I don't know why you'd think people would play it anyway just because it follows the same lore structure. That they've changed their ad campaign suggests they agree, though at this point it's too late, the people they marketed to prior aren't going to forget anything. I'm sure you'll get some bleed, but the 10mill range is difficult for the majority of games, even the AAAs, you're being far too optimistic. Plus, once the game leaves NDA, it's going to be under worse attack than anything you've seen so far.

I'd give you half that number. Maybe.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

At least we know where you're coming from...same bitter old crap that a handful of you constantly shoehorn into every ESO thread. ESO has 400+ hours of solo questing game play. Skyrim had what? Maybe 200 before you started adding mods? Mods that are there only for the 20% or so who play it on PCs.

Keep on dreaming about the ESO failure that will somehow make you right...which is obviously the most important thing for you.

Nah... I'll stick with my 10 Mil+ prediction... unless the "true TES fans" begin a massive ad campaign against it and somehow, someone actually listens to you without rolling their eyes.

Oh coming back with the same old it doesn't matter what they do Im going do defend defend defend no matter what like you do in every ESO thread. Even some of your comrades like Nanfoodle have suddenly woken up to how blind these developers are. So, keep on dreaming about the return of DaoC which is obviously the most important thing for you as you dream up 10 million in sales as many roll their eyes at you which wont matter because you wont see it with those rose colored glasses on.

10 million in sales...lol.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Damn. I hope I don't get in trouble when I necro this thread in a year's time. We shall see whether the clueless developers or the emo true TES fans win this one...stay tuned.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Damn. I hope I don't get in trouble when I necro this thread in a year's time. We shall see whether the clueless developers or the emo true TES fans win this one...stay tuned.

Oh wait, I see what you are doing!

This is your way to break from the typical "its going to kill wow" threads that fanboys always bring with a new MMO!

pure genius.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I tend to be pessimistic with box sales and subs because I really do think WOW was an enigma that came out at just the right time in a market that was flooded as it is now. The MMO genre was so new to people like me who never even heard of an online game like WOW at its release. Playing games on PCs wasn't even a thought to me. Now its all I do lol.

I would say 5-10M is possible, though I'd lean toward the lower number, but anything is possible. I think it will be BTP. I sure hope it is not FTP nor subscription. If they do a subscription, make it a Netflix price or less. Why companies go with that $15/month is beyong me. For me its nothing and I would pay if I like a game, but I realize not everyone can.

There Is Always Hope!

Oh wait, I see what you are doing!

This is your way to break from the typical "its going to kill wow" threads that fanboys always bring with a new MMO!

pure genius.

No. Only you and a couple of other equally confused posters think this is a WOW killa thread. MMOs on consoles are coming... this is just the first of many to announce it.

10 mil + on PCs only was a one of a kind thing that just ain't going to happen again. 10mil+ PC+console MMOs will probably be just average by the end of 2014.

There's something happening here but you can't see it, can you?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

No. Only you and a couple of other equally confused posters think this is a WOW killa thread. MMOs on consoles are coming... this is just the first of many to announce it.

10 mil + on PCs only was a one of a kind thing that just ain't going to happen again. 10mil+ PC+console MMOs will probably be just average by the end of 2014.

No. Only you think a couple people here are laughing at your 10 million prediction.

There really is something happening here.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think both planetside 2 and TESO will be huge sellers on the ps4.

I'm not convinced with the xbox though. Don't think it will be powerful enough to run TESO well and there will be all sorts of issues with microsofts draconian patching / verification / update policies.

Console buyers outnumbered pc buyers vastly with the prior tes games.

So say TESO sells 1.5m pc copies (which is conservative most recent mmos with big ips lately have sold around 2m - e.g. swtor, war, gw2)

I would expect ps4 to shift around 4-5m copies.

So 10m isn't outside the realm of possibility if the game turns out to be good and then starts selling more through reviews, word of mouth etc.

Don't worry though, your fisher price my first daoc will still be up and running, no need to pre emptive strike the competition by getting on the case of TESO, cu etc..

No. Only you think a couple people here are laughing at your 10 million prediction.

But you were talking about WOW killers weren't you?

Whatever... stupid people laugh at all kinds of shit they don't understand. Some don't even know they're stupid. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Sales

XBox 360 59 %
    Playstation 3 27 %
    PC 14 %

From Feb. 4, 2012 on a total of 10 million

and another

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=skyrim

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

TESO = MMORPG

Although it's painful to say it, I would have to agree with you sir.

Did you see that game trailer from E3 ()? Yeah it may look pretty BUT it's just not Elder Scrolls. Looks more like something taken out of the WOW universe.

Now watch the Skyrim trailer (). See the difference there? See how much more captivation there was with adventurous story, deep lore, engaging music, etc. That's precisely what defines Elder Scrolls games.

And therein lies the major problem. This is unfortunately more and more looking to be an Elder Scrolls imitation than an authentic TES game. And all I can say is, people are not fooled easily. Release on whatever platform you wish, but if it does not evoke that same emotion that Skyrim/ Oblivion/ all the greats did, I just can't see it working.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I think it's a bit naive to assume they'll exceed Skyrim's sales "easily".  Sure it's possible, but the game actually has to be better than Skyrim.. or at least, they have to make people think it is.  Easier said than done.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by redcapp
    I think it's a bit naive to assume they'll exceed Skyrim's sales "easily".  Sure it's possible, but the game actually has to be better than Skyrim.. or at least, they have to make people think it is.  Easier said than done.

Yeah, that's how I view it as well. When comparing hype for both games, ESO has a lot of negative stuff floating around and people seem generally unsure about it. Compare that to a year before Skyrim came out. This is an Elder Scrolls game in name only and people know it. Now we just have to find out if they will actually buy into it.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'm even more curious now about the financial model. Both Sony and Microsoft require a monthly fee for on-line play of anything. Could they really ask people for another monthly fee on top of that?

They did it with FFXI. no reason they can't do it again.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

But you were talking about WOW killers weren't you?

Whatever... stupid people laugh at all kinds of shit they don't understand. Some don't even know they're stupid. 

I am not picking anyone's side but you do realise that stupid people also don't realise half the time that they are, to quote a favourite youtuber of mine, "window licking retards" in regards to certain subjects, right? You both are pulling predictions out of your... intellect which have absolutely no foundation, yes it's the TES IP which had Skyrim and yes it is an MMO on a console but neither of em makes the game good or bad so simmer down and wait to see if the game's any good, if it is it will sell well, if not it won't and arguing about it now will just prove neither of you are smart enough to see that.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

This post is so funny to me. People said I was crazy for posting that FFXIV ARR would be the biggest mmo since WoW, especially considering that it would be the only mmo on both pc and console at time of release. Now you all think ESO will sell 10-20 million copies.

My question is what seperates ESO from Skyrim? The devs have openly come out and said this game IS NOT SKYRIM, and if you want that experience then go play Skyrim. This game is a mmo, with very little seperating it from other current and future mmos, other than then elder scrolls name.

People who are raving over this and next gen consoles arent raving about ESO or FFXIV ARR. They are raving about FFXV, Destiny, The Devision, GTA 5, Batman Arkam Origins and CoD Ghost. Only true mmo players really follow these mmo games.

I have a close friend who turned me on to Skyrim, and months later when I tried to get him to join me in WoW, he refused saying "I have a job and I'm a single father, I play casual console games in my little free time. I dont have time to get hooked on one of those other games."

A different kind of gamer plays Skyrim. Skyrim was very special and attracted fans and non fans from across different genre. This is the reason for its huge numbers. ESO is niche, its a mistake to compare its potenial numbers for Skyrim.

A perfect example of this is Final Fantasy. The FF franchise is number 8 all time in video games sales with over 100 million units sold.  FF7 and FF8 have sold 10 and 8 million copies respectively. Even FFXIII which many considered a bad game sold 10 million copies by 2012. Meanwhile both of their mmo games FFXI and FFXIV sold only 2 million and 650k respectively.

Mmo games wth the exception of WoW will never sell like single player console games. Dont get your hopes to high.

people are just reading into this to much again. This happens EVERY time a new mmo comes out. Just let the game come out , play or dont play, but all these speculations dont mean krap til it goes gold and is playable.  

I could not stand playing The Secret World, at first. But once I got use to the mechanics of the game, I was loving the shit out of it!!.   Either way If a game is to different from main stream people complain about the UI and controls being clunky, but in actuallity (not in every case though) its gamers not wanting to learn something new, and i was one of them...unknowingly lol.

I honestly dont think Games/MMOs should even announce a release date or much info on the game til about 3months from release date. To prevent the flood of all this assumption and negitive hoopla

Originally posted by Vannor

I'm even more curious now about the financial model. Both Sony and Microsoft require a monthly fee for on-line play of anything. Could they really ask people for another monthly fee on top of that?

They did it with FFXI. no reason they can't do it again.

Again people not being knowledgeable about what they are saying.

FF11 on the Xbox 360 only required a SILVER account, witch is FREE. so it was no different than playing it on PC and paying your usual monthly sub.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ah I remember when gw2 was a wow killa
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Ah I remember when gw2 was a wow killa

Ya we dont need a killer, Just another FUN game, that the developers are passionate about. You can drop the they only care about money line all day, but at the end of the day, this is their JOB, making games , so they HAVE to make money if the game is to survive. everything these days revolves around money even F2P games, its on how its approched.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

This post is so funny to me. People said I was crazy for posting that FFXIV ARR would be the biggest mmo since WoW, especially considering that it would be the only mmo on both pc and console at time of release. Now you all think ESO will sell 10-20 million copies.

My question is what seperates ESO from Skyrim? The devs have openly come out and said this game IS NOT SKYRIM, and if you want that experience then go play Skyrim. This game is a mmo, with very little seperating it from other current and future mmos, other than then elder scrolls name.

snip

I think asking what seperates ESO from Skyrim is a good question.

For sure the devs have said it is not Skyrim - if you haven't bought Skyrim yet they would like you to. For that matter the devs said the same about Skyrim though: it wasn't Oblivion. They have also gone to great lengths to say that ESO is not a "full blown mmo" however.

So what will separate ESO from Skyrim? As I say a good question.

I think it could be as little as co-operative on-line play. The ability to group and take on encounters designed for more than 1 person. Just like Assassin's Creed or BF3 or Halo or ... long list.

Now in the fullness of time it might develop into an mmo but on day 1 I think all the people who bought skyrim are firmly in the devs sights.