Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Breivik's Hypocrisy on Twitch Interview

ButtdartButtdart Member Posts: 34

I don't recall the timestamp where it was. I just remember listening to this yesterday and rolling my eyes.

He says "we don't want to sell power in this game", referring to the F2P model and the cash shop. Yet the first people to end-game and the highest levels were those who bought Fortune Cards, and more importantly XP pots in the cash shop.

Yes, I'm talking about those 50-60's rolling all the 20's and 30's and 40's in PvP. So, when you go into PvP, those people who spent real money are the ones rolling everyone else.

In these games, levels are power. If you sell XP pots, fortune cards, things that help you get gear (magic find/item find), you're selling power. Cosmetic things are the only things that aren't power when it comes to cash shops.

I don't mind it. I know that's how F2P works. They have to make money. But he is being dishonest when he says "we don't want to sell power". The ONLY REASON PEOPLE OPEN THEIR WALLETS IN A CASH SHOP IS FOR A SENSE OF POWER.

The only reason developers have switched to F2P en-masse is in hopes of making more money than the old "buy it for $50 and pay a monthly fee" model could've.Hey, that's fine. If you can pull it off, good for you; but lying to everyone about it is lame. How about the ridiculous amount of inventory space combined with non-stackable crafting materials, and then you go on to say "there's a big debate about inventory space".

No there isn't.

You just want people to buy it. Not only can you NOT stack crafting materials, but you also don't have the auction house in game yet which you speak of, which means players are selling a lot of valuable things to the vendor for small amounts. The people who will end up on top are those who buy more storage space now to save up for when the auction house is live.

Don't give me crap about "we're figuring out how to stack crafting materials" when you have the code in game to stack xp pots and other items. You're intentionally making crafting mats unstackable to drive people to buy space. WEAK WEAK WEAK. And not only that, crafting mats - when you're forced to sell them or donate them to the vendor - are only worth 5 creds/xp, regardless of level.

Awful. Breivik, please stop name-dropping D2, you're doing a disservice to that great game with the tripe you're putting out now. Too much dishonesty for me. It speaks against his character. I'm not playing this title anymore.

P.S.: It's ironic how he says in this interview how Deadpool is his favorite, AND how he loves PvP, all the while Deadpool is the most OP in PvP and the class everyone calls BS when you're in PvP.

Pro-tip, if you like PvP and you're playing this game, roll a deadpool. It's his fav. Derp.

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Wow this post exaggerates a ton! For one, a lot of the starter pack buyers are already ahead of the ultimate pack purchasers. For another, PvP is dead and lifeless as its not hashed out. For another, there are not alot of 50-60s running around owning anyone as the majority of people who play the game a lot are only reaching around level 40 right now. In fact, I play a ton and I would state that the average high level I see would be 33-38.

I will admit the devs are 100% telling us bullcrap regarding stacking items, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Outright disgusting behavior IMO. 

With that said, the OP still did exaggerate a f!#%$ ton.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

How do you sell power in a pve game that doesn't have raiding and everything can be soloed ?

When you walk to work do you scream at the cars that they're cheating ?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by DamonVile

How do you sell power in a pve game that doesn't have raiding and everything can be soloed ?

That made me lol, though I have seen a guy shouting at cars but I'm sure you didn't mean the OP was one of those guys? or did you? image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

So if getting to max level is winning then there is no point for anyone else to ever play the game as they couldn't possible "win".

The game is not a race. If you think it is, you are doing it wrong. Card and exp pots only shift the time frame in which it takes to get to max level. It doesn't change anything about the game once you are there.

All die, so die well.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

So if getting to max level is winning then there is no point for anyone else to ever play the game as they couldn't possible "win".

The game is not a race. If you think it is, you are doing it wrong. Card and exp pots only shift the time frame in which it takes to get to max level. It doesn't change anything about the game once you are there.

The game isn't a race, but game economies are established by the players that are at the front of the leveling curve when new games are released.   

What is wrong with racing to 60?    I thought we as gamers were much more tolerant of different play styles.   

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by madazz

Wow this post exaggerates a ton! For one, a lot of the starter pack buyers are already ahead of the ultimate pack purchasers. For another, PvP is dead and lifeless as its not hashed out. For another, there are not alot of 50-60s running around owning anyone as the majority of people who play the game a lot are only reaching around level 40 right now. In fact, I play a ton and I would state that the average high level I see would be 33-38.

I will admit the devs are 100% telling us bullcrap regarding stacking items, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Outright disgusting behavior IMO. 

Were you trying to support what the OP is saying or against it? key phrase>> "A lot of stater pack BUYERS".

The premise to what the OP is trying to say is one which i share.That is MOST of us i am sure understand that there is no f2p,these are businesses,the only time it really becomes bothersome is as the OP stated,when developers or publishers or even advertising websites are being misleading or outright lying.

We see a LOT of rhetoric/hypocrisy in this industry.Things like don't do this or don't do that,but it is fine if we try to lie and mislead you into supporting our game or advertisers.There is definitely something wrong with morals and it all comes down to money and greed and of course selfishness.You get a job as a PR rep for a developer,you are not going to tell the truth,you are going to try your best to paint a false image of your game,what ever it takes to sell.

I think right there we can see why the whole gaming community has become some what bitter,they have been lied to or mislead by everyone in the industry.What ever happened to morals is beyond me,seems everyone are out to screw over everyone else to put money in their pocket.

Here is something to think about....You think you would ever see an advertising site such as MMORPG hand out any warnings to developers/advertisers for trying to lie or mislead us into buying their product?No of course not,they would rather put a game morally ahead of the people,i am  sure you can see how wrong that is?

The example in this game is trying to mislead people into thinking POWER is ONLY in a pvp sense,however the OP understands it is  beyond that as i also understand it as i am sure many others understand it as well.So before you come up with statements like"it is not that bad"think about weather it was misleading or an outright lie.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This ^^^

There is no "winning" in pve. I have no problem enjoying the game at my own, free pace.

The only significant stuff they are selling is heroes .. which is pretty fair. You can enjoy the whole game with the starter heroes without paying a cent. I think that is a very good deal.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its subjective -- players have different opinions of what pay to win is for any mmo

for  me, experience boosters are not pay to win

I guess WOW is pay to win? 

when players exploit "Refer a friend"  using 2 accounts, on a new server to blaze to max level?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Massively uninformed post. You can hit 50-60 in 2-3 days. The campaign takes a few hours and afterward you get a team to run you through the first team challenge for one astral key, then you just rinse and repeat in Limbo every 20 minutes until you're 60. THAT is how people are 60, not the exp + potions. Most people have been smart enough to save those for alts. If you take someone into Limbo and follow the crowd tagging mobs, your exp bar fills so fast it's ridiculous. It's actually boring, no effort or challenge in it, but that's a whole other argument.

Point is, this isn't about selling exp potions. They're irrelevant when, without them, leveling is extremely easy. A few pieces of +exp gear, which is free and exp to find, will have you leveling even faster in Limbo than what I've already quoted. If you're not 60, it's because you're not doing it, whether you knew about it or simply chose not to participate (I stopped at 40 because it was boring, decided to level alts until more content is added to get me 60 instead), and THAT is why you're getting rolled in PvP.

Edit - to put it into perspective, I beat the campaign at 27 and grinded to 30 on normal dailies, feeling like it was going slow. Then I got into a challenge team and access to limbo. 3 days to go from 27-30. 5 hours to go from 30 - 40.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by Wizardry

Were you trying to support what the OP is saying or against it? key phrase>> "A lot of stater pack BUYERS".

The premise to what the OP is trying to say is one which i share.That is MOST of us i am sure understand that there is no f2p,these are businesses,the only time it really becomes bothersome is as the OP stated,when developers or publishers or even advertising websites are being misleading or outright lying.

We see a LOT of rhetoric/hypocrisy in this industry.Things like don't do this or don't do that,but it is fine if we try to lie and mislead you into supporting our game or advertisers.There is definitely something wrong with morals and it all comes down to money and greed and of course selfishness.You get a job as a PR rep for a developer,you are not going to tell the truth,you are going to try your best to paint a false image of your game,what ever it takes to sell.

I think right there we can see why the whole gaming community has become some what bitter,they have been lied to or mislead by everyone in the industry.What ever happened to morals is beyond me,seems everyone are out to screw over everyone else to put money in their pocket.

Here is something to think about....You think you would ever see an advertising site such as MMORPG hand out any warnings to developers/advertisers for trying to lie or mislead us into buying their product?No of course not,they would rather put a game morally ahead of the people,i am  sure you can see how wrong that is?

The example in this game is trying to mislead people into thinking POWER is ONLY in a pvp sense,however the OP understands it is  beyond that as i also understand it as i am sure many others understand it as well.So before you come up with statements like"it is not that bad"think about weather it was misleading or an outright lie.

Well you went on a bit of a rant there... My point was that people who purchased the ultimate pack did not get a huge edge over those who spent only 20 bucks. The xp bonus isn't global (it's only on the orbs), the couple day head start didn't do much as even free players are now caught up.

The game is actually free to play. It does not cripple you in any way to make you want to pay. If you want to experience bad f2p try out ultima forever... Or even Everquest 2. Everything is available to you in this game free except for a useless pet and extra stash space which isn't needed THAT badly. 

I hate f2p more than most people. Narius will back that up... But this game actually does it right like league of legends and people still cry like self entitled... Bah nm. I made my point.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Seriously?  There's a lot of exaggeration, a lot of ignoring what was said in that twitch interview on the charity stream, and a general lack of experience playing the game apparently..

This thread..

I hate f2p more than most people. Narius will back that up... But this game actually does it right like league of legends and people still cry like self entitled... Bah nm. I made my point.

Yeh. He is anti-f2p .. though not as venomous as others, and he has a good point.

Plus, so what if some are leveling faster. It is a pve ARPG .. and you can play it mostly solo. At no point you will hit a pay wall. The ONLY constraint is you may not like the characters you have most. (They gave you TWO from the starting 5, one at start of game, one at the conclusion of the first quest-lilne).

That is a pretty fair way of doing it. I got tons of purple gear on me by level 13 or so, and you certainly even spend money to get good gear.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yeh. He is anti-f2p .. though not as venomous as others, and he has a good point.

Plus, so what if some are leveling faster. It is a pve ARPG .. and you can play it mostly solo. At no point you will hit a pay wall. The ONLY constraint is you may not like the characters you have most. (They gave you TWO from the starting 5, one at start of game, one at the conclusion of the first quest-lilne).

That is a pretty fair way of doing it. I got tons of purple gear on me by level 13 or so, and you certainly even spend money to get good gear.

I gotta say, I am enjoying the game still. Hit level 30 already. Tons of great gear. With the frequency of trips and the amount you need to donate to crafting vendor, I never run out of space. I like these types of F2P games very much. 

Just to reiterate to others, people who purchased the ultimate pack have been complaining about the XP bonus as it only affects the yellow orb drops (not your main XP gain). So its affect of 5% only affects maybe 10% of your total XP gained which IMO is quite minimal. Plus those who are whining about the early head start also seem to forget that after a few months, or even a few weeks those couple days of early access mean jack and s%$!. And jack just left town.

I've said it before, but if you want to experience REAL greed, and REAL pay to win, try out Ultima Forever ;)

I gotta say, I am enjoying the game still. Hit level 30 already. Tons of great gear. With the frequency of trips and the amount you need to donate to crafting vendor, I never run out of space. I like these types of F2P games very much. 

yeh.

I would also say the combat (which obviously is the bread and butter of this type of game) gets better in mid-game (around level 13-15).

The early hydra enemies, and those goons in white on the street aren't that fun to fight .. but once i get to the HAND .. with all the ninjas .. the combat was a lot more fun. They vanished in a buff of smoke, they use a chain weapon to rope you in, there are mechas, with beam weapons.

I