Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future predictions of MMO

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

Post your future predictions here.

Near in the future:

As we have seen with Kinect and EQ2 you can already make facial gestures, and with kinect, express things with your hands. I believe the future of MMOs will have fully body recognizable cameras (for laptops in gaming laptops, or else buy seperate). No more game developed animations, you ARE the character.

Full voice chat when you get like 1 meter close to someone. You can choose what you want to sound like, a high barbarian or a wimpy halfling.

Vast in the future:

You will be able to buy a walk/run machine connected to your computer that will make people actually go to work out in order to be more successful in a competitive game.

Your own health will portray how your character acts in the game, and how your stats grow.

What's your predictions?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't think i want to actually move my body much for a game. Wii is a fad. Gamepad, keyboard, and mouse are much better than moving my body. I really don't want to train for sword fighting .. i just want my character appearing to be able to do.

In fact, the future is this:

mind-computer interface .. you lie in a comfy couch and THINK about how you want to play your game, and it appears on screen.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/superman/2013/03/brain_computer_interfaces_could_neural_implants_give_you_telekinesis.html

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by sagil

Near in the future:

As we have seen with Kinect and EQ2 you can already make facial gestures, and with kinect, express things with your hands. I believe the future of MMOs will have fully body recognizable cameras (for laptops in gaming laptops, or else buy seperate). No more game developed animations, you ARE the character.

Full voice chat when you get like 1 meter close to someone. You can choose what you want to sound like, a high barbarian or a wimpy halfling.

Vast in the future:

You will be able to buy a walk/run machine connected to your computer that will make people actually go to work out in order to be more successful in a competitive game.

Your own health will portray how your character acts in the game, and how your stats grow.

What's your predictions?

I like the way you think ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Something akin to the holodeck on Star Trek: Next Gen. "Adult Themed" MMO's allowed... image
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think we will see companies like rockstar and Ubisoft bringing open world sandbox style mmos back into the mainstream.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't think i want to actually move my body much for a game.

totally agree.

We got our 4 nephews a kinect xbox for Christmas because we liked the idea of them getting some exercise while they play. Not even a month later they hate the kinect part and don't play any of those types of games. They just play the few controller games or the PC

IMO phones will soon connect to your TV screen ( when you want a big screen ) and act as a controller for whatever game you want to play on it and they will kill consoles.

phone and tablet gaming will quickly pass consoles and one day remove PCs once they get past the performance gap.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150
    Some day in the far distant  future, game studios will make fun MMOs and all gamers will enjoy them.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    I predict someone creating little lego man sized characters for us to buy in which we program them to play for us.   We unleash them on our pets, our neighbors, and teachers... then someone else will create a machine that will hunt down and destroy these creatures for us.  We can watch the fun via remote camera feed without ever doing a thing.  It will also be cost prohibitive to keep the near-do-wells out of our fun.  If they want to play with us, they'll need to take a mortgage out on their home.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Yyrkoon_PoM
    Some day in the far distant  future, game studios will make fun MMOs and all gamers will enjoy them.

You don't have to be a fortune teller to know that's never going to happen.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't think i want to actually move my body much for a game.

totally agree.

We got our 4 nephews a kinect xbox for Christmas because we liked the idea of them getting some exercise while they play. Not even a month later they hate the kinect part and don't play any of those types of games. They just play the few controller games or the PC

IMO phones will soon connect to your TV screen ( when you want a big screen ) and act as a controller for whatever game you want to play on it and they will kill consoles.

phone and tablet gaming will quickly pass consoles and one day remove PCs once they get past the performance gap.

We bought a Wii long time ago. Same story. It was novel for 2 days, and no one plays those wii-sports anymore.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Sorry, but "MMOs" and "all gamers will enjoy them" don't belong in the same sentence.  You do actually read the forums here, yeh?  Also, apparently not all gamers like the word "fun" associated with MMOs either.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I imagine games will become more and more like interactive dreams.  If you can visualize something, it will occur.  Perhaps not instantaneously, but with enough time, effort, and skill, anything can happen.  It will be possible to set things in motion and sit back and watch how things unfold, or it would be possible to take a more active approach where one is directly participating.  Interfaces will become less and less obvious, to the point where they are all but invisible.

I also expect that there will be two types of games predominantly in the market: those that can be played while engaged in some other activity (augmented reality) and those with full immersion (virtual reality).  Augmented reality games would require a minimum amount of attention, such that they could be played while performing another task like waiting on public transportation for the right stop, etc.  Augmented reality games may also have multiple tie-ins to physical space, such that the physical world affects the game-state in terms of location, color, ambient light, humidity, temperature, etc.

Virtual reality games would potentially be indistinguishable from normal reality except for setting.  They would be highly adaptive to the player's mental state, sensing things like brainwaves, skin temperature, etc.  The game would "know" if a player fell asleep, became highly alert, etc. and could react accordingly.  They would be played probably with some type of headset that could sense eye movement, facial gestures, etc. that could also "read" the location and position of the player's hands with acute detail.

Games will be viewed not just as diversions but as an art form, judged aesthetically as well as for the quality they bring to the player's life.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by rodingo

Sorry, but "MMOs" and "all gamers will enjoy them" don't belong in the same sentence.  You do actually read the forums here, yeh?  Also, apparently not all gamers like the word "fun" associated with MMOs either.

I see humor is lost on this forum. :(

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I looked into my crystal ball and saw even more of the same shit.  Devs making games they THINK the people want and the people bitching it wasn't what they had in mind at all.  That was the near future tho.

Far distant future I saw aliens eating human brains, obtaining their knowledge, and designing better condoms for the galaxy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Foomerang

Rockstar will never make a mmo. They have a no nerdiness policy.
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

I imagine games will become more and more like interactive dreams.  If you can visualize something, it will occur.  Perhaps not instantaneously, but with enough time, effort, and skill, anything can happen.  It will be possible to set things in motion and sit back and watch how things unfold, or it would be possible to take a more active approach where one is directly participating.  Interfaces will become less and less obvious, to the point where they are all but invisible.

I also expect that there will be two types of games predominantly in the market: those that can be played while engaged in some other activity (augmented reality) and those with full immersion (virtual reality).  Augmented reality games would require a minimum amount of attention, such that they could be played while performing another task like waiting on public transportation for the right stop, etc.  Augmented reality games may also have multiple tie-ins to physical space, such that the physical world affects the game-state in terms of location, color, ambient light, humidity, temperature, etc.

Virtual reality games would potentially be indistinguishable from normal reality except for setting.  They would be highly adaptive to the player's mental state, sensing things like brainwaves, skin temperature, etc.  The game would "know" if a player fell asleep, became highly alert, etc. and could react accordingly.  They would be played probably with some type of headset that could sense eye movement, facial gestures, etc. that could also "read" the location and position of the player's hands with acute detail.

Games will be viewed not just as diversions but as an art form, judged aesthetically as well as for the quality they bring to the player's life.

There is some really awesome stuff going on in the AR space. 

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Realistically, I think you will see the following....and some of it is already available.

-Full 3D, high definition helmety thing like the Occulus Rift but specifically designed hardware/software for a MMO.

-Much, much more of an emphasis on open worlds and world simulation rather than an on rails themepark approach.

-64 bit gaming for PC MMOs

-Better way to compress, send/receive and decompress data.

-More of a focus on PC design rather than "design it on console, port a crappy port to the PC"

-More MMOs using the same IP.  Now you have one Star Wars MMO, one Lord of the Rings MMO...etc.  I think they will try to diversify and have an sandbox Star Wars as well as SWTOR, just to capture both sub genre audiences.

-Other themes rather than Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Asian.  I think a great MMO would be an open world, sandbox Western set in the USA around 1880s or something like that...but that is just me dreaming.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    hopefully virtual reality and please lose the hotbar system its getting old and primitive
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Near in the future:

Vast in the future:

What's your predictions?

I'm glad this is coming to fruition as I had always seem my personal "end game" with MMOs as me being the avatar.  Kill two birds with one stone.

If EQN is coming to the PS4 we may see the near future portion above very soon.  Not only does SoE use "proximity chat" in Planet Side 2 but also has SoEMote from EQ2 for avatar facial movements and voice modulation.  Combine those features and you could walk up to anyone and "talk" to them.  The PlayStation Eye has the capability to track facial features from what I've read and has audio built in with PSN.  They also have PlayStation Move controllers for tracking limb movement while the sticks could control in game running.

As far as my own predictions I see much more automation to developing MMOs so less money is needed to make them.  Equal emphisis on tools for players as much as core story line and dev generated content.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

To begin with, nothing significant will change beyond improvements in graphics.

This is because economies are only just starting to recover. 

Then the Occulus Rift will be released next year and people will buy the games that are available for it.

Then there will be a mad scramble to make MMORPGs compatible with Occulus Rift.

WoW is in a good position because its graphics engine is a bit older but very stable. If Blizzard are smart, they could do very well.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    It's spelled Oculus.  Grammar Nazi to the rescue!

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291
    Originally posted by Aelious

Near in the future:

Vast in the future:

What's your predictions?

I'm glad this is coming to fruition as I had always seem my personal "end game" with MMOs as me being the avatar.  Kill two birds with one stone.

If EQN is coming to the PS4 we may see the near future portion above very soon.  Not only does SoE use "proximity chat" in Planet Side 2 but also has SoEMote from EQ2 for avatar facial movements and voice modulation.  Combine those features and you could walk up to anyone and "talk" to them.  The PlayStation Eye has the capability to track facial features from what I've read and has audio built in with PSN.  They also have PlayStation Move controllers for tracking limb movement while the sticks could control in game running.

As far as my own predictions I see much more automation to developing MMOs so less money is needed to make them.  Equal emphisis on tools for players as much as core story line and dev generated content.

Glad to see there are not only angry gamers posting.

I'm looking forward to EQNext. I think it will be immersive and social. The graphics from EQ2 make me stay away from it, but I really like the SOEMote and voice adjustments.

I also think more games will be community driven. Instead of offering exclusive game decisions to ultimate founders, people will vote f.ex. for the best concept art to be modeled into the game every new patch or so. Also, dungeon building will get more advanced than Neverwinte so players can play new dungeons all the time (with as good loot as the dev made ones). Pushing all mobs off a cliff can not be done, if not dead they will just respawn with no exp or loot granted, making people have a hard time using exploits.