Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sins of a solar empire or endless sp[ace or ???

SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395

kinda like space releated 4x strategy games tho i havent played one in a while. was wondering if anyone has played either of these 2(or both) and can reccommend one or the other or a different game altogether

TIA

Comments

• RhoDawgRhoDawg Member UncommonPosts: 34

I have played both and enjoyed both and while they are both 4X games, I would say they are quite different in how they play.

Here are the major differences:

Sins: Realtime play and real time battles, you can however pause and issue orders but everything happens continuously, no turns. You can control each ship in battle if you want.

Endless Space: Turn Based. Battles happen in phases where you chose a strategy with a card, but don't control the units.

If you had to choose between the two I would pick Sins, imho it is a much better overall game. Plus it has plenty of expansions all of which are great and add good value to the game.

Endless Space is an excellent game as well and if you are a big fan of 4X games it would be good to Round out your collection.

As far as other games go, Galactic Civilizations II is the other 4x space strategy game i would recommend, even over Endless space.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    thanks!!
  • wabben77wabben77 Member Posts: 47

Personally I think endless space is better. Sins has real time combat but it may as well be turn based. It isn't like the total war games where strategy is important, you basically just slam units into each other. The tech tree in Sins is more simplistic and is about what you would expect from most 4x games. 

Endless Space has a very complex tech tree with many many options. You will not be able even come close to being able to research everything in the tech tree before the game is over. This forces you to make important choices about how you are going to win the game. Will you win through diplomacy? money (dust)? science? or military domination? The huge tech tree forces you to choose based on your race, your planets, and how much of a threat your neighbors are. I like to be fairly peaceful and win through science or dust accumulation, but still have to put research towards military so I can defend my planets.

I'm not saying Sins is bad or anything like that. I played it a ton. I just think Endless Space is better if you put forth the effort to figuring it out.

• mxishmxish Member Posts: 31

Looks like you got your answer and I have to agree with it. Sins is a great game, for 4x it is easy to pick up and it happens in real time. In a way it has a turn based element (the time it takes to travel between planets) but there is no stop in play, (im not sure if you can even pause the game)

The game gets REALLY good when you start adding mods, if you like flashy mods, checkout bailknights graphics mod, and there is also something you can change in a config file that allows you to have more ships per ter... which makes the battles HUGE (they are already pretty big) cant remember where or what , but im sure a search will give you all you need.

the above poster is right about just throwing ships at each other... but it is a good thing in a way, it allows you to sit back and watch a huge battle. The only strategy(in a battle) is the same thing that happens in blob warfare in eve... focus fire.

If you are just learning to play, i would suggest turning off pirates, as they can be more of a pain while learning then fun.. the game tends to revolve around who can get the highest bid in before the timer goes down lol. 

anyway, my 2 cents

looking on steam...does SoaSE Rebbellion include the origional game?
  • squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

agree on sins, i bought it since release and still hop on play sometime. if they add a story in it like starcraft  then it'll be awsome.

as for endless, its a turnbase game, i rather play galatic civilization 2 than that one.

Sin rebellious is stand alone expansion, its doesnt include original game, but u dont need original to play. 

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Try out Star Drive on Steam, the metascore is so off it pathetic.

Excellent game, It was digital crack for me for about 2 weeks

Originally posted by squalleonaha

agree on sins, i bought it since release and still hop on play sometime. if they add a story in it like starcraft  then it'll be awsome.

as for endless, its a turnbase game, i rather play galatic civilization 2 than that one.

Sin rebellious is stand alone expansion, its doesnt include original game, but u dont need original to play. 

would it be bettr to get and play the origional first?

anyone? do i need to play the origional first? would hate the dump the extra $20 into it and then not need to have done so

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Sebali

anyone? do i need to play the origional first? would hate the dump the extra $20 into it and then not need to have done so

No, you don't need the first trilogy.  The latest one is stand alone and has all the content from the first ones.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I still play Homeworld 1 and 2 when i feel like playing a space strategy sim.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    sins
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sins isn't a 4x, its a rts with some 4x features.

Still a good game though.

Endless has a super slick interface, the outer stuff is great, but the combat is a bit rock paper scissors. Still its fun if your more into the strategy and less into tactics.

Civ 5 with the expansions is now a good 4x

Fallen enchantress:lh is good 4x,plays like a cross between civ and age of wonders (or the very old game master of magic)

Eador is another decent 4x, its actually more complicated than Fe:lh in the outer strategy bit, the combat OS more homm than aow, but its a bit buggy and can get grindy.

Stardrive should be good, but the ai needs work, but like Eador its still in development so should get better.