Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe, Just a few more questions

page975page975 Member Posts: 312

- How does the PvP really feel as compaired to say Vanella WoW or GW2 ?

- Auction house, Is their one ?

- I don't relly like crafting, sounds like you have to if your gonna try and get your prowess up ?

- If you craft, do you pick one or craft everything ( did not study anything crafting ) ?

- People say Warrior is the way to go for a noob. I don't really like Warrior classes. How about Skirmisher or Primalist ?..Are they gimped ?

-Should I get it from Steam if I buy it ?

Been one the fence the last few days with Darkfall, off all week and all other mmos suck right now !

Comments

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Just one more question.

If you have 10 k prowess...........Can you hide behind a tree, sneek up on someone with say 35K prowess, and bash their head in ?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by page975

The game is nothing like wow

No but there will be possibly at some point.

- I don't relly like crafting, sounds like you have to if your gonna try and get your prowess up ?

No need to craft if you dont want to, go kill different mobs for prowess gain.

- If you craft, do you pick one or craft everything ( did not study anything crafting ) ?

You can do everything, or pick one to master but you can do them all fi you want.

- People say Warrior is the way to go for a noob. I don't really like Warrior classes. How about Skirmisher or Primalist ?..Are they gimped ?

AV have not looked into class balance yet, skirmisher can get away from everyone or chase anyone down even if they are mounted.

Whatever is cheapest i guess.

Been one the fence the last few days with Darkfall, off all week and all other mmos suck right now !

Just one more question.

If you have 10 k prowess...........Can you hide behind a tree, sneek up on someone with say 35K prowess, and bash their head in ?

Depends where that guy has spent those 35k prowess i guess.. if he is built right then he could prob turn aronud and spank you.

I am not a fan of what AV have done to Darkfall.. hopefulyl someone will come along that actually likes the game and reply to your questions as well :)

- If no auction house, what do you do with all your mats and stuff you crafted. For self use only ?

- What I mean about pvp compaired to WoW and GW2 is : do the fights last longer, are there more types of diffriances besides tap targeting and RT combat ?...What else sets the PvP apart ?

- How about bag space for crafting and harvesting ?

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

It doesnt compare its a whole new ball game no tab targets movement matters and so on

No

Other then some of the gains from crafting which will slow after a while you do not have to craft at all most do it for cheaper gear the rest do it for easy mindless gains

You can do many of them but with master skills costing 10k ech will take a ton of time

War is good yea Skirm is a bit harder to grasp at 1st but after some time in-game they flow pretty easy PVE can be a pain but with the new round robin that shouldn't be to bad as for Primalist it takes more skill then both the others but done right are a big pain the A!@$%% to kill

I love steam and all but my answer for steam on mmos NO! stay away from any mmos or online games that require outside launchers. steam is slow to get the updates sometimes and regular bugs with the launchers is a normal day thing

To asnwer your other question no for 90% of the "new" players. with time and skill yes you could but for the most part the base stats and skills that they would have make it a bit more then tough to kill them. In the end gear at the lower prowless lvls is more important

- If no auction house, what do you do with all your mats and stuff you crafted. For self use only ?

You talk to people in global chat, clan chat or local chat.. then you take trhe risk to gonig to meet the person for the sale or whatever or ask them to do the tade in the safe zone.

- What I mean about pvp compaired to WoW and GW2 is : do the fights last longer, are there more types of diffriances besides tap targeting and RT combat ?...What else sets the PvP apart ?

Fight lengths depend on the players I guess.. it is of course fps/tps style combat so its a lot faster, your always moving around to try and get the best position to attack and so on. There is usually a lot mroe thought put into the fights because if you die you loose everything you have.

- How about bag space for crafting and harvesting ?

Everything have a weight and you can only carry a certain amount before your too heavy to move... this used to add to the risk of crafting because no where was safe in the origional DF.. but now with the safe zones it does not matter as much.

Originally posted by vonryan123

I love steam and all but my answer for steam on mmos NO! stay away from any mmos or online games that require outside launchers. steam is slow to get the updates sometimes and regular bugs with the launchers is a normal day thing

Not true I think all MMOs on steam use their own launcher so updates are nothing to do with steam.

Ok, It's downloading right now.........Be careful, I'm coming to get you............So in about three hours, watch your backs !!!!

I guess I'll roll a Skirmisher, I hope thats OK.

- Will you be able to spend  points, and get abalities that make each player unique ?....In other words, will others not know what I'm capable of....exapmle : In WoW I knew every trick every class had.

- Starting zones, are they all good ?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Welcome to Darkfall.

The starter areas are determined by what race you choose.  These races have little meaning though so just pick one you find asthetically pleasing. 

It will take you a little while to get used to the UI but try and start completing feats.  Make sure you bank and only take what your willing to lose when you venture outside of the safe zone.  My advice if you start as a Skirmisher is to save up prowess and buy the better skills and start dumping points into Dexerity and your primary skills. 

When you are semi afk make sure you try and use that time to harvest some material which you will need for armour and weapons.  You can try and make it yourself, or sell the mats and buy armour. 

I do recommend joining a clan though but wait until you got the basics down pat.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

IMO get into a clan asap, get into their voice coms.  You are going to have lots of questions.  Previous mmorpg and FPS experience doesn't translate well into DF.

As far as a new player jumping high prowress people.  Well chances are you are going not be very good at pvp until you duel a TON and practice it.  Its hard to sneak up on active people.  The game is VERY sound based.  You will hear people before you see them.  Its very possible to drop people many times your prowress...but you need to be really good and chances are a new player is going to be the guy who gets killed as a higher prowress player...especially if they PVE and harvest their way to high prowress...you need to practice pvp a lot as a new player and clans are the only way to really get this (most will want to help you get good)

As far as the pvp feel.  Mentioning WOW or GW2 as a comparison for pvp is like trying to compare completely different games to eachother.  PVP is blended in with pve (outside of safe zones) in this game...it can be everywhere or no where.  The mechanics cant even be compared to other action combat mmorpgs.  It really is unique...which is why previous mmorpg and fps experience doesn't translate well into DF.  Also prowress will give you a slight edge, high end gear will give you a slight edge...an edge that is lost after a few missed shots on your opponent.  It wont make you a good player...though gives enough advantage to give you the win in evenly matched encounters.

Remember this game isn't a 1v1 fair match game, though you can organize such events.  Its a game of numbers, strategy, politics, and backstabbing.  Large scale pvp is chaotic and in all honesty is nothing live themepark zerg pvp (despite zergs happen in df).  You never have two blobs standing off eachother its more pvp that covers a large area.

perspective on what large scape pvp looks like in DF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MMfnsR1us only problem is the point of view is from a mage so its the back of the action...but skip to like 5:00min mark

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

Ok, It's downloading right now.........Be careful, I'm coming to get you............So in about three hours, watch your backs !!!!

- Will you be able to spend  points, and get abalities that make each player unique ?....In other words, will others not know what I'm capable of....exapmle : In WoW I knew every trick every class had.

It seems that me and you have been the exact same in the forums these past couple days. I decided to go through with it too, Got it last night. Let's group up n figure this shit out when you get on lol.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

This game is hard to figure out the uI

Take your time as it takes some getting used to. 

Originally posted by Badaboom

Take your time as it takes some getting used to. 

Thats cool, I don't mind hard stuff :)....Ill figure things out

Originally posted by kDeviL

It seems that me and you have been the exact same in the forums these past couple days. I decided to go through with it too, Got it last night. Let's group up n figure this shit out when you get on lol.

I sent you mail Kdevil here on mmorpg.com. Will hook up :)

So far I'm loven it !....I'm getting better at the UI ( but not totaly ) it's hard to learn but seems as if will be very smart way of doing things.

Combat seems very cool with the running and dodging you have to do. I'm not used to running backwards and firing at stuff.

Like I say, The new kid is on the block, and i'm comming to kill you because my prowess is at 40 !

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Are you on EU or NA :) ?
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Make sure you use all your keybinds. You have 8 items and 16 spells/skills that can be bound. The q and e system is slow compared to keybinding.
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Make sure you use all your keybinds. You have 8 items and 16 spells/skills that can be bound. The q and e system is slow compared to keybinding.

First I would like to say that I really love Darkfall, But I just have to overcome a fighting style that I like. And It's best to do it soon.

Being overwalmed, not fighting in the totorial area along with not much time to really play yesterday. I spent some time PvE fighting this morning.

After watching a Youtube on UI/combat that uses what the game gives you, I got better, however I can see that this way will not work very well in fast PvP. ( Maybe with practice ) 

Switching between q and e along with mouse scrolling to change weapons is slow.....So Far I did not find anything good for key binding on the net yet....Still working on it......So far switching between q and e really is not that bad, just don't like the mouse scrolling. ( I only have a cheap standard mouse,for now )

So far I'm using this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXsOCkxJ2w

I also found this, but I really don't feel like downloading auto hot key porgrams, unless I have too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qkm4pG3F0I

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

the mouse scroll wheel to scroll thru your quickslots are also initiated by pressing the number keypad on your keyboard. You can of course change that keybind to something else. 

I use a razer epic mouse with quite a few buttons and use that to switch between weapons quickly. my staff, sword&board, and bow are all slotted into 4, 5 and 6. make for easy switching without having to scroll  thru a list of items, especially since i like to load up on potions and a harvesting tools in my quick slots.

lil bit of advice, you can drop your shield and a 1h weapon into the same quick slot.  :)  

Originally posted by Damedius

First I would like to say that I really love Darkfall, But I just have to overcome a fighting style that I like. And It's best to do it soon.

Being overwalmed, not fighting in the totorial area along with not much time to really play yesterday. I spent some time PvE fighting this morning.

After watching a Youtube on UI/combat that uses what the game gives you, I got better, however I can see that this way will not work very well in fast PvP. ( Maybe with practice ) 

Switching between q and e along with mouse scrolling to change weapons is slow.....So Far I did not find anything good for key binding on the net yet....Still working on it......So far switching between q and e really is not that bad, just don't like the mouse scrolling. ( I only have a cheap standard mouse,for now )

So far I'm using this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXsOCkxJ2w

I also found this, but I really don't feel like downloading auto hot key porgrams, unless I have too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qkm4pG3F0I

Like Nevulus mentioned. You can bind sword/shield to one quickslot.

I have a merc steelseries gaming keyboard so it is easy to reach the number keys. I have my quickslot keys bound to shift1-8. 1st slot sword/shield. 2nd Greatsword, 3rd Bow, 4th mount,5th shovel, 6th potion, 7th food and 8th skinning knife. I have my right radial skills bound to 1-8. Left radial bound to Crtl 1-8.

That is just one example use whatever setup feels comfortable. It is really important to be able to switch weapons on the fly. Sword/shield is so important because of the damage reduction, as well as needing a one handed weapon for mounted combat. Bows are necessary for water and range for non casters. Two-handed has the highest melee damage. Food and pots can  be the difference between winning and losing.

I have a G600 mouse.  I macroed the keys to press E, #, rightclick, Q.  I do that for all heals, buffs and transfers.  Works pretty good. 

Damedius, Like this ?

Radel left :                                                               Radel right :

Ctrl 1-8                                                                        1-8

weapons swap :

Shift 1-8

If so, then Radel right you have for your faster type of swaps ?

Damedius, Like this ?

Radel left :                                                               Radel right :

Ctrl 1-8                                                                        1-8

weapons swap :

Shift 1-8

If so, then Radel right you have for your faster type of swaps ?

Yeah I have things I use the most often 1-8. I left click to activate the left radial and right click to activate the right one.

Another tip for you, you can cancel a skill/spell that has a cast time by pushing r.