Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: What We Want to Know About EQNext

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment is getting ready to blow the lid off of EverQuest Next during this summer's SOE Live in August. Thinking about EQN, we came up with several things we really want to know about the game. Check out our thoughts before heading to the comments to tell us what you'd like to know about EQN.

This summer should be nothing short of a revelation when SOE unveils their big plans for the EverQuest franchise's third major installment: EverQuest Next. We know it will be a sandbox as the images below tweeted by John Smedley imply, and we know that visually, it'll rival what we've seen with Planetside 2 because they use the same Lightforge Engine. We know that SOE has partnered up with Namaste Entertainment to use Storybricks in some way shape or form... And that's about it. I mean of course we know it'll take place in Norrath and have huge menacing armor, but that was probably a given. Really, there's very little we truly know so far about EverQuest Next. So what I'd like to do this week is shine a little light on three things we want to find out about the evolution of Norrath, whether it's before or after SOE Live's big reveal.

Read more of Bill Murphy's EverQuest Next: What We Want to Know About EQNext.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I would like to know if we get to Change UI's like we did in the first everquest :) the only downside was having to fix it after every patch hehe
  • Niquev71Niquev71 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    i don't remember being able to change UI's in Everquest.  That ability I thought was started with WOW.  I played Lineage 2 and FFXI inbetween Everquest and WOW and i don't remember those 2 games having that feature either.
  • health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    you could change UI's i loved having 30 boxes LOL plenty of neat UI's too.And not to sound like a stereo type but alot of things got taken from eq1 and slapped on wow,but you wont see wow players ever admit that :P

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Nique71
    i don't remember being able to change UI's in Everquest.  That ability I thought was started with WOW.  I played Lineage 2 and FFXI inbetween Everquest and WOW and i don't remember those 2 games having that feature either.

There were absolutely custom UI's with EQ, before WoW..

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Boognishe

There were absolutely custom UI's with EQ, before WoW..

agree

http://www.eqmac.com/guides/uiguide.html

In the summer of 2002, SOE opened up the ability to customize your EQ experience on the PC side. Allowing the use of XML and tga files to create your own "User Interface" look. Immediately web sites sprung to life to host and share others UI work.

Custom EQ UI links i posted 11 years ago  :)

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/forums/30/User-Interface-tips-and-info/User-Interface-tips-and-info#.UbdfwpzCkYt

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Will it be like eq2?

If so not interested.
  • jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Why is that picture from Divinity still being used to imply it's from EQN?

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by jonrd463
    Why is that picture from Divinity still being used to imply it's from EQN?

Who knows. It was proven to be fake months ago.

• DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123

The only thing WoW started was the downfall of mmo's. Facts are before wow we had new games come out like eq2, daoc, AO, even shadowbane was a decent niche game and tried something different.

WoW came out and change the genre for the worst. cookie cutter easy peasy games have been released since. People think WoW was popular cause it was a great game. I believe WoW was popular because any computer could play it and any idiot could also play it.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I just want a world to explore and kill stuff. One that is closer in playstyle to the original EQ (which had the alternate progression in regards to skills mentioned in the article already) that put the focus on interdependence and the world and not on Superhero_10452146 that saves the world for the 100,000th time. Where gear is scarce and getting an upgrade actually means something. That's the start of it at least.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    If they take 1 thing from EQ, I hope it's leveling up skills. Using a sword SHOULD make you better at using swords etc...I really miss that form of progression.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Death with meaning.

in ever quest when you died your court with your item stay there and then you had to go get it that's what I'd like to see the new version.

Not only did it foster smart playing, it promoted community, grouping, friendship, and reputation.

Without meaningful death, you have just another Crap game

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Since we literally know NOTHING about this game, it seems strange to have so much hype surrounding it. I mean, is there even a web page / official site for the game yet?
  • IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Since we literally know NOTHING about this game, it seems strange to have so much hype surrounding it. I mean, is there even a web page / official site for the game yet?

Why are so many people surprised that hype around a game that was many people's first introduction to MMOs and is the reason many MMOs exist today, has hype surrounding it?

is there even a web page / official site for the game yet?

went live today https://www.everquestnext.com/

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Nadia
     is there even a web page / official site for the game yet?

went live today https://www.everquestnext.com/

Sweet! Thanks Nadia.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

not to mention SOE doesn't exactly have a clean track record

all of the magic people remember about EQ was before SOE took over, and the hate only began when smedley started interfering with game design

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Everything is in the details and how it is implemented, and it is more or less impossible to know this before hands on. Action based combat can be dull and generic and it can be tactical if made well, so can slow combat. Sandbox can mean heavy pvp based or it can be pve mechanics for more indirect sandbox elements. There can be many options and paths for a character, but it can also easily be dumbed down to generic. It can have a huge world, but that doesn't mean its going to be exciting to explore.

We all heard the grand claims before, and it never turned out the way we thought they meant. It is too early to speculate, but also very fun.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    What to expect is cross platform with next gen consoles, F2P with nickel and dime cash shop, sandbox-theme park hybrid for casual players that will fall short of everyone's hopes and dreams about what the game should be or could have been. Quick cash grabs are the new innovation and the buzz words like sandbox are the new EPIC.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I want holy trinity , no switching roles with one character like rift .

harsh death penalties , items that decay and break.

An advanced crafting system and economic system .

Originally posted by Asamof

all of the magic people remember about EQ was before SOE took over, and the hate only began when smedley started interfering with game design

Smed had the idea for Everquest

some history from Brad McQuaid aka Aradune

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/devtracker/index.php?go=posts&get=thread&fromsite=1&id=51141

Smed and I founded Verant. We started our own corporation, with him as President/CEO and me as Vice President.

business article from 2002

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1208/Business-20-magazine-history-of-EverQuest#.UbdwSZzCkYs

After 18 months at San Diego State University, where he was studying computer science, Smedley dropped out to write games on contract for Alien Technology Group. In 1993 he finally took a full-time job at Sony. He needed the salary to support his own online habit: By then, Smedley was running up $600 monthly bills on CyberStrike, one of the first graphic action games played online against others.

He knew that CyberStrike, while primitive, was on the right track. If he was willing to pay to play, he reasoned, there were probably lots of other gamers out there who would be too. So in 1996, Smedley pitched his boss at a Sony-owned PlayStation development studio on the idea of an online role-playing game. It would involve thousands of players at a time, he said. It would be three-dimensional. It would make a fortune.

Smedley recalls, "I got three minutes into this huge presentation, and he just flat out said, 'No.'"

But a few months later, a new boss, Kelly Flock, arrived. Smedley tried his pitch again. He pointed out that programmers at other companies were already working on virtual-world games like Meridian 59. And while he didn't know it at the time, Electronic Arts was already working on Ultima Online. He got the green light: EverQuest was a go. Smedley hired McQuaid and Steve Clover, two ace game programmers who were slaving as corporate systems administrators. Within three years, the small San Diego skunk works grew into a team of 56 developers and one of Sony's most expensive game projects, with a development budget approaching $5 million.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Asamof

Smed had the idea for Everquest

some history from Brad McQuaid aka Aradune

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/devtracker/index.php?go=posts&get=thread&fromsite=1&id=51141

Smed and I founded Verant. We started our own corporation, with him as President/CEO and me as Vice President.

business article from 2002

http://otherworlds31279.yuku.com/topic/1208/Business-20-magazine-history-of-EverQuest#.UbdwSZzCkYs

After 18 months at San Diego State University, where he was studying computer science, Smedley dropped out to write games on contract for Alien Technology Group. In 1993 he finally took a full-time job at Sony. He needed the salary to support his own online habit: By then, Smedley was running up $600 monthly bills on CyberStrike, one of the first graphic action games played online against others.

He knew that CyberStrike, while primitive, was on the right track. If he was willing to pay to play, he reasoned, there were probably lots of other gamers out there who would be too. So in 1996, Smedley pitched his boss at a Sony-owned PlayStation development studio on the idea of an online role-playing game. It would involve thousands of players at a time, he said. It would be three-dimensional. It would make a fortune.

Smedley recalls, "I got three minutes into this huge presentation, and he just flat out said, 'No.'"

But a few months later, a new boss, Kelly Flock, arrived. Smedley tried his pitch again. He pointed out that programmers at other companies were already working on virtual-world games like Meridian 59. And while he didn't know it at the time, Electronic Arts was already working on Ultima Online. He got the green light: EverQuest was a go. Smedley hired McQuaid and Steve Clover, two ace game programmers who were slaving as corporate systems administrators. Within three years, the small San Diego skunk works grew into a team of 56 developers and one of Sony's most expensive game projects, with a development budget approaching $5 million.

so basically he's like george lucas then

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Smed is the reason we have EQ and really the reason we have real MMOs.  Hate on him if you want people, but do not take credit away from him for what he has brought to all of us.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is ONLY one thing i want to know before moving forward and that is the CASH SHOP details.None of the game matters to me if it is a game designed to get more than acceptable value.

I am good with 15 bucks a month,straight forward cost,perhaps even 25 but i will not accept hidden costs  or any form of misleading pay scale.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by health001
    I would like to know if we get to Change UI's like we did in the first everquest :) the only downside was having to fix it after every patch hehe

eqinterface.com

This function was introduced I believe with a patch late in the original game or with Kunark I forget now...