Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mmos's for consoles

saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53

So a lot of mmorpgs are going console such as FFXIV Realm reborn, Elder scrolls online and Destiny. 

My questions are does anyone know exactly if any of these mmorpg's will go for ps3 and 360 as well as the next gen consoles ps4 and xbox one?

And second, if the servers are probably going to be separate such as: Pc players separate from consoles / playstation and xbox separate from each other and all that jazz, or will everyone be able to play with eachother? 

Will EU and US be separated?  I am wondering these things because friends live in various places and have different consoles , I want to know who I will be able to play with or what I will need to get in order to play with who...

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    The Division and Elders Scrolls Online will be on next gen. That's all I know.
  • saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    The Division and Elders Scrolls Online will be on next gen. That's all I know.

If thats all you could find about it then thats helpful to know, those two probbaly will just be for the next gen then. :)  Thank you.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta Online features players across OUYA, Android, WinRT, iOS (iPad2+), Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, all in the same, contiguous galaxy, directly interacting regardless of where you are on the globe (people from Mexico City play with those in Moscow and Xi'an etc.)

That's a console-smartphone-tablet-PC cross-platform integration.  Tech Crunch named it "The Most Multi-platform MMO Game Ever":

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/18/vendetta-online-space-sim-kickstarts-ipad-app-to-become-the-most-multiplatform-mmo-game-ever/

So... if you can deal with the OUYA (A lot of people... can't), the answer to your question is "yes, it can be done".

(fyi, the KS for VO failed, but the game itself is still going strong with an 11-year legacy)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

The answers to you questions will vary from game to game.  I think World of Tanks is coming to the 360.  A few multiplayer games are coming to XBox One (not sure whether or not they will qualify as MMOs but one of them was described as persistent and constantly changing according to player's choices/style of play).

E3 is going on now so I'd suggest checking the information coming out for answers to your questions.

Originally posted by Phaserlight

Vendetta Online features players across OUYA, Android, WinRT, iOS (iPad2+), Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux, all in the same, contiguous galaxy, directly interacting regardless of where you are on the globe (people from Mexico City play with those in Moscow and Xi'an etc.)

That's a console-smartphone-tablet-PC cross-platform integration.  Tech Crunch named it "The Most Multi-platform MMO Game Ever":

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/18/vendetta-online-space-sim-kickstarts-ipad-app-to-become-the-most-multiplatform-mmo-game-ever/

So... if you can deal with the OUYA (A lot of people... can't), the answer to your question is "yes, it can be done".

(fyi, the KS for VO failed, but the game itself is still going strong with an 11-year legacy)

Deal with the OUYA? Can you extrapolate?  

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

But Vendetta Online sucks. So there's that.

Originally posted by Rusque

Can we leave that out of  here please whether a game is the shit or shit is not the point of this thread right now I really don't want that discussion here what matters is the support/compatibility of mmorpgs with various consoles.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Most of the time they segregate the PC and Console servers.  It isn't always necessary, but it depends on the way the game is developed.  Most of the time there are EU and US servers, but it all depends, as FFXI allowed for cross play on the console version if my memory is correct.   What it ends up being is game and developer specific. 

Chances are PC ,PS4 and X1 will be segregated in most cases though.

MMOs for consoles have been slow comers, and despite what many people believe it isn't due to hardware.  The 360 is capable of running MMOs with its current hardware,  but the major challenge here is Microsoft and the way they have their licensing.  Champions Online was supposed to launch on the 360, but unfortunately, they couldn't get a green light from microsoft, or perhaps, the cost of licensing was way too high.  

That being said, I don't know how that will translate to the X1,  we'll have to give it a wait and see approach once games start launching and we get to see a few full development cycles.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Most of the time they segregate the PC and Console servers.  It isn't always necessary, but it depends on the way the game is developed.  Most of the time there are EU and US servers, but it all depends, as FFXI allowed for cross play on the console version if my memory is correct.   What it ends up being is game and developer specific. 

Chances are PC ,PS4 and X1 will be segregated in most cases though.

MMOs for consoles have been slow comers, and despite what many people believe it isn't due to hardware.  The 360 is capable of running MMOs with its current hardware,  but the major challenge here is Microsoft and the way they have their licensing.  Champions Online was supposed to launch on the 360, but unfortunately, they couldn't get a green light from microsoft, or perhaps, the cost of licensing was way too high.  

That being said, I don't know how that will translate to the X1,  we'll have to give it a wait and see approach once games start launching and we get to see a few full development cycles.

Very nice post, thank you for your reply. I am sort of leaning towards final fantasy realm reborn but I am in EU and have friends in the US that will have different consoles, I kind of hope that game wont be that segregated...In the end I may lean to whichever mmorpg is most flexible in this case I guess.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by saiweed

Deal with the OUYA? Can you extrapolate?  

Well, the OUYA has been getting a lot of negative press recently, partially because it is a startup that has been plagued by a number of problems that startups sometimes get plagued with (controllers were bugged initially, release date pushed back multiple times, the OUYA itself has a Tegra 3 processer that isnt... powerful compared to a number of modern smartphones).

However, my feeling is that the Xbox One and the PS4 have left open an important market gap, which has been filled previously with the likes of the Wii; namely, the low-end, affordable console for the working class.  The question will be whether the OUYA can overcome these perceived shortcomings and successfully break in to a market with historically high consumer demands and media attention.

I'm willing to give them a shot.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

FFXIV:ARR will be cross platform PS3 and PC - as in same servers, and the game is NOT region locked so you can play on the European or even JP servers, if you can get decent ping.

I ASSUME PS4 will also be on the same servers once the game is released for next gen.

Originally posted by BadSpock

FFXIV:ARR will be cross platform PS3 and PC - as in same servers, and the game is NOT region locked so you can play on the European or even JP servers, if you can get decent ping.

I ASSUME PS4 will also be on the same servers once the game is released for next gen.

That is amazing news to me, especially  no region lock.  will that game support any other consoles as well such as the xbox one? which I personally would never get but who knows what friends might do.

Can we leave that out of  here please whether a game is the shit or shit is not the point of this thread right now I really don't want that discussion here what matters is the support/compatibility of mmorpgs with various consoles.

On topic then, consoles have obviously gotten progressively more powerful each gen and I think they're at a point where they are close to if not surpassing the average PC in terms of hardware capability. And when you look at value for money, consoles are definitely pulling ahead.

Notice I said average PC, most people are not running rigs playing the latest MMO at ultimate settings. So I think the MMO industry is wise to cross over to the console side. In the past, the biggest issue was that of storage, consoles really didn't have much. But now that the X1 and PS4 are shipping out with 500GB you can easily stash MMO's on that.

So the barriers that made MMO's generally unplayable on consoles is disappearing this gen. As for controls, I think we've seen a strong push to limited UI and ability hotkeys. Controllers aren't that bad to use anymore. You can easily play a game like GW2 with a controller.

On topic then, consoles have obviously gotten progressively more powerful each gen and I think they're at a point where they are close to if not surpassing the average PC in terms of hardware capability. And when you look at value for money, consoles are definitely pulling ahead.

Notice I said average PC, most people are not running rigs playing the latest MMO at ultimate settings. So I think the MMO industry is wise to cross over to the console side. In the past, the biggest issue was that of storage, consoles really didn't have much. But now that the X1 and PS4 are shipping out with 500GB you can easily stash MMO's on that.

So the barriers that made MMO's generally unplayable on consoles is disappearing this gen. As for controls, I think we've seen a strong push to limited UI and ability hotkeys. Controllers aren't that bad to use anymore. You can easily play a game like GW2 with a controller.

+ 100 cool points for going on topic to you sir  and I agree with all the things you have said, though I read we can connect a keyboard and mouse to the consoles if we want to play the mmorpgs this way, is that corect? That would eliminate that ( perhaps non existing issue) entirely?

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I had the same problem around 2006 i believe , i was waiting for phantasy Star Universe to come out and bought it on the xbox 360 and the PS2 , this was so that I would have the chance of meeting my old PSO friends. Just to note also the PC and PS2 versions where on the same sever and the 360 had it's own server.

I do know that destiny will be on 360 , PS3 , Xbox one and PS4 , but sadly i don't know about linked servers , considering the 360 and XBone aren't backwards compatible then I would say no to those two being on the same server.

As for your recent question then , well all console MMO's have had the ability to use a keyboard. These future gen ones , well again i should imagine a keyboard is usable on those and I'm not sure about a mouse.

I would also like to quash the biased view that consoles couldn't or can't handle MMO's and the UI excuse is getting really old , I use a controller and have 40 skills bound to it and use them well on a PC MMO.

Good luck and pray for me if PSO2 is announced on more than just the PC in the west , or if it does , then please don't let it be on 3-4 servers as I will have to buy all western versions and I will be broke.

O Diablo 3 will be on PS3 and xbox 360 too.

Good luck.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Yep, mouse + keyboard do work on consoles.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

So a lot of mmorpgs are going console such as FFXIV Realm reborn, Elder scrolls online and Destiny. 

My questions are does anyone know exactly if any of these mmorpg's will go for ps3 and 360 as well as the next gen consoles ps4 and xbox one?

And second, if the servers are probably going to be separate such as: Pc players separate from consoles / playstation and xbox separate from each other and all that jazz, or will everyone be able to play with eachother? 

Will EU and US be separated?  I am wondering these things because friends live in various places and have different consoles , I want to know who I will be able to play with or what I will need to get in order to play with who...

ESO will be on next gen, destiny is next gen and ps3/xbox360 only, tom clancy's the division is next gen only.

Usually there's separate EU and US server for players so I'm guessing it'll happen here as well.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by BadSpock

That is amazing news to me, especially  no region lock.  will that game support any other consoles as well such as the xbox one? which I personally would never get but who knows what friends might do.

Microsoft won't allow cross-platform play because they have some absurd need to keep their Live network entirely isolated. Any cross platform play will be between PC and PS3/PS4. The Xbox 360 and XBox One will always be isolated.

As mentioned though we know for a fact that FFXIV will be entirely cross-platform (and has dedicated interfaces designed for each platform).

Originally posted by BadOrb

I had the same problem around 2006 i believe , i was waiting for phantasy Star Universe to come out and bought it on the xbox 360 and the PS2 , this was so that I would have the chance of meeting my old PSO friends. Just to note also the PC and PS2 versions where on the same sever and the 360 had it's own server.

I do know that destiny will be on 360 , PS3 , Xbox one and PS4 , but sadly i don't know about linked servers , considering the 360 and XBone aren't backwards compatible then I would say no to those two being on the same server.

As for your recent question then , well all console MMO's have had the ability to use a keyboard. These future gen ones , well again i should imagine a keyboard is usable on those and I'm not sure about a mouse.

I would also like to quash the biased view that consoles couldn't or can't handle MMO's and the UI excuse is getting really old , I use a controller and have 40 skills bound to it and use them well on a PC MMO.

Good luck and pray for me if PSO2 is announced on more than just the PC in the west , or if it does , then please don't let it be on 3-4 servers as I will have to buy all western versions and I will be broke.

Good luck.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, and  great that we'll be able to use keyboard and mouse as well, though in some cases ill probably prefer to use the controller anyway

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

But you cannot do online play with the PC version, and there is no AH.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

But you cannot do online play with the PC version, and there is no AH.

Don't forget the LAN option :) keep old consoles alive , I'm getting Destiny , World of tanks , GTA V and more on my 360.

I do like the fact the PS4 is region free and a normal console ( if I can say that ).

O another few for you OP Blacklight retribution and Warframe on PS3 and Warframe is on a few systems.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

I wish FF realm reborn would also come to the xbox one so those friends could play too