Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Confirmed for Next-Gen Consoles & Spring 2014 Release

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by keithian

To me, the more people the better. The more platforms the better. I've always had friends that wanted to play other MMOs with me that couldn't because they either had a Mac or a PC that wouldn't handle it. Now they can play with me on a console. With the Mega Server, this can only be a good thing. I'm assuming of course that it will be cross platform.

I actually tried playing Skyrim with an Xbox controller and found the aiming annoying, so back to my mouse and keyboard and Ive been happy ever since with only maybe 2 Mods added. I would have been fine without the Mods. Its just a great game regardless.

I don't take any of the posts seriously in this thread when I see whining like "now I'm not playing it", "I wont play it because its dumbed down for consoles", etc. We all know when push comes to shove you will play it so who are you kidding? lol.

Nope.

Zenimax has already stated that there will be 3 different Mega-Servers.

1 for PC/Mac, 1 for XBONE and 1 for PS4.

So no you cant play on your PC with your Console friends.

Im wondering how they are planning on patching/updating 3 different platforms. Who gets priority on fixes and expansions?

Will XBONE get them first, PC second and PS4 getting the sh!t stick like they did with Skyrim?

Can they handle working on 3 different platforms all with different problems?

Trion is currently running Defiance on all 3 platforms, so if you're wondering how that can be done, just watch Trion...

Of course, as Defiance has shown us so far, not all 3 platforms go equally smoothly. The Xbox players struggled for quite a while with some post-launch bugs that only affected them. It was all sorted out eventually, but for a time all 3 did not experience the same quality of gameplay.

HOWEVER, seeing as the new consoles are running PC innards, keeping all three platforms in sync will be waaaay easier than it is currently.

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88

[mod edit]

If you are like many adults and have a job where you spend 8 hours a day hunched over a computer, you do not look forward to hunching over it more at home just to enjoy some games.  Additionally almost every adult gamer I know has or has had some sort of repetitive stress injury issues in their hands and wrists due to excessive use of keyboard, and mice especially, which are very un-ergonomic.  

This announcement of more quality games coming out on console is a godsend for anyone who has an office job and is a gamer.  Console controllers may be less responsive but are way more ergonomic than keyboard/mouse combo and being able to relax on the couch and game after 8 hours of being at a desk is way less painful on your back. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    Originally posted by keithian

To me, the more people the better. The more platforms the better. I've always had friends that wanted to play other MMOs with me that couldn't because they either had a Mac or a PC that wouldn't handle it. Now they can play with me on a console. With the Mega Server, this can only be a good thing. I'm assuming of course that it will be cross platform.

I actually tried playing Skyrim with an Xbox controller and found the aiming annoying, so back to my mouse and keyboard and Ive been happy ever since with only maybe 2 Mods added. I would have been fine without the Mods. Its just a great game regardless.

I don't take any of the posts seriously in this thread when I see whining like "now I'm not playing it", "I wont play it because its dumbed down for consoles", etc. We all know when push comes to shove you will play it so who are you kidding? lol.

Nope.

Zenimax has already stated that there will be 3 different Mega-Servers.

1 for PC/Mac, 1 for XBONE and 1 for PS4.

So no you cant play on your PC with your Console friends.

Im wondering how they are planning on patching/updating 3 different platforms. Who gets priority on fixes and expansions?

Will XBONE get them first, PC second and PS4 getting the sh!t stick like they did with Skyrim?

Can they handle working on 3 different platforms all with different problems?

Trion is currently running Defiance on all 3 platforms, so if you're wondering how that can be done, just watch Trion...

Of course, as Defiance has shown us so far, not all 3 platforms go equally smoothly. The Xbox players struggled for quite a while with some post-launch bugs that only affected them. It was all sorted out eventually, but for a time all 3 did not experience the same quality of gameplay.

HOWEVER, seeing as the new consoles are running PC innards, keeping all three platforms in sync will be waaaay easier than it is currently.

First off, balancing a FPS between PC and a console is not the big a deal, FPS play well on both. As for PC innards, how is it any different? All GPUs were Nvid or ATI, CPU by intell or the likes. Its always been the same stuff or is there something new I dont know?

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Soooo when will the beta tests start for the PC because I remember that they said that the beta tests are active in a limited fashion already??!! SIGH.....
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by nycplayboy78
    Soooo when will the beta tests start for the PC because I remember that they said that the beta tests are active in a limited fashion already??!! SIGH.....

They are. No one knows when they will broaden the group.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TobrukTobruk Member UncommonPosts: 46

Yes we all know PCs will always be better because WE, not the companies who's parts we use, will be able to upgrade our PCs whenever we like as new products become available year after year. Compared to how you have to wait for the individual console company to decide to make a new system so that you can finally upgrade. Which can take years to happen.

But from a strictly business standpoint, you would be an idiot to not try and tap into the millions who own consoles then just depend solely on the thousands who play MMO's on PC. Yes, WoW is the exception, but that is only 1 game.  This just means consoles need to step up their game and have the power to play these games and handle the sheer numbers and it looks like graphically both next gen systems think they can.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

If you think about it Zenimax could be just hedging their bets for success by developing on all platforms.

If, say for example, it fails with the PC MMO crowd (i.e. SWTOR), it could be a huge success with the ES Console crowd.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Tobruk

Yes we all know PCs will always be better because WE, not the companies who's parts we use, will be able to upgrade our PCs whenever we like as new products become available year after year. Compared to how you have to wait for the individual console company to decide to make a new system so that you can finally upgrade. Which can take years to happen.

But from a strictly business standpoint, you would be an idiot to not try and tap into the millions who own consoles then just depend solely on the thousands who play MMO's on PC. Yes, WoW is the exception, but that is only 1 game.  This just means consoles need to step up their game and have the power to play these games and handle the sheer numbers and it looks like graphically both next gen systems think they can.

You can keep upgrading your parts all you want while developers will keep making games that are for low and mid range PCs.  Which game uses 16 gigs of ram? are you researching black hole physics?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by tkreep

You can keep upgrading your parts all you want while developers will keep making games that are for low and mid range PCs.  Which game uses 16 gigs of ram? are you researching black hole physics?

They make games that will work on low and mid range machines, but most of the graphically intensive games are scalable to levels that only the newest technology can take advantage of.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by dgarbini

I have been loosely following this game off and on for a bit now.  I am a big Elder Scrolls fan overall.  From following so far has been a bunch of ups and down, nothing has ever really made me fell like 'I must play this game'.  This recent development has to go into the down category for me.  Console again a downer, bad controls, less complexity, a drain on resources and a drain on focus, and of course the younger audience catered to.  As well as the 2014 release, if its not delayed again, shows me that there betas have not been doing so well and there is much work to be done still.  I kept wondering why we have heard so little info or videos of this game if it was to be released, I guess the answer was, it isn't ready.  I'm fine with companies taking their time to get it right, but just see it as a bad sign in my book.

And to the posts above, GW2, complex?  Who the hell are you kidding?  It has its good points but complexity is not one of them.  So bad example.  You could have said Skyrim is on consoles, that would be a more relevant comparison.  And many people hated that part of Skyrim (the controls).

They are not cross platform so PC will only play with PC. Just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by colddog04

They make games that will work on low and mid range machines, but most of the graphically intensive games are scalable to levels that only the newest technology can take advantage of.

I have a high end machine and played Crysis 1-3 and other games like the new tomb raider on max settings and the only thing these expensive machines benefit from are things like anti-aliasing and slightly better shadow or texture resolution.  If devs made a game that truly uses a high end machines parts the in game graphics would look very close to CGI quality so no.

They would like this: and btw these are in-engine of PS4 tech demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le0ad-cHilo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0KTUysrwgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw1l_C4kXrg

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Funny thing that...PCs are multi-taskers and I tend to enjoy playing a game while 3DS max is rendering some animations for me. I even at times enjoy watching a blueray on my center monitor while esignal is running on my second (while the market is open) and my trade windows open on my 3rd screen.

Crazy thing, that PC.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

I have a high end machine and played Crysis 1-3 and other games like the new tomb raider on max settings and the only thing these expensive machines benefit from are things like anti-aliasing and slightly better shadow or texture resolution.  If devs made a game that truly uses a high end machines parts the in game graphics would look very close to CGI quality so no.

It's difficult to discuss this with someone that believes Crisis 1-3 looks similar on PS3/XBOX360 as they do at max settings on PC that can handle them. To me at least, there is an obvious difference. Textures, shadows, AA, anisotropy, ssao, shaders and effects, tesselation, cloth physics, evironmental effects, resolution, etc all have serious quality upgrades in PC games and some of those things don't even exist on current consoles.

I'm not saying the new systems are poor. The PS4 honestly looks like it has some pretty nice specs. But 1 or 2 years after the system is released (maybe even by the time they are released), it will once again fall behind PC technology and PC gaming will, if you own a high end PC, have much better capability to handle the highest end graphics.

It's difficult to discuss this with someone that believes Crisis 1-3 looks similar on PS3/XBOX360 as they do at max settings on PC that can handle them. To me at least, there is an obvious difference. Textures, shadows, AA, anisotropy, ssao, shaders and effects, tesselation, cloth physics, evironmental effects, resolution, etc all have serious quality upgrades in PC games and some of those things don't even exist on current consoles.

I'm not saying the new systems are poor. The PS4 honestly looks like it has some pretty nice specs. But 1 or 2 years after the system is released (maybe even by the time they are released), it will once again fall behind PC technology and PC gaming will, if you own a high end PC, have much better capability to handle the highest end graphics.

The devs of crysis did a poor job at optimizing crysis for the consoles because I can compare the console crysis to something like this also on PS3/360

All in game and this is from a 7 year old machine with open world and gameplay

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/a0v8ug/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-e3-2013--extended-red-band-trailer

The devs of crysis did a poor job at optimizing crysis for the consoles because I can compare the console crysis to something like this also on PS3/360

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/a0v8ug/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-e3-2013--extended-red-band-trailer

You realize that this is a trailer of a game that is going to be release on PS4 and Xbox One (as well as the older consoles), right? Where do you think they took the footage from? Do you think that they didn't doctor up their E3 trailer at all here or that it wasn't put together on a PC?

You realize that this is a trailer of a game that is going to be release on PS4 and Xbox One (as well as the older consoles), right? Where do you think they took the footage from? Do you think that they didn't doctor up their E3 trailer at all here or that it wasn't put together on a PC?

regardless i have seen other games on consoles like Beyond Two Souls which is only for PS3 that looked better than the console crysis versions.  And how many games really require high end machines just so Lara Croft could have better hair physics? So I could see more texture detail on leaves?.  How many mmos require a high end machine...Wildstar? WoW? GW2? ESO? Not even The Secret World.  The fact is even with things like anti-aliasing or tesselation and such which are only small features to what a high end machine can truly handle and are still not worth all that money for those high end parts. If they developed a game that was specifically based on high end specs the game would look very close to CGI in game like i said already.  And they would have to make a lot of games not just a few that also has to be fun for people to even consider buying a high end machine.  Off the top of my head I can think of maybe 3 games that comes close to benefiting a high end machine and those are crysis, planetside 2 (mainly cuz its online) and Metro...thats not that many games.  I rather just save way more money on a mid range pc and still be able to play the majority of games on high settings and not realy care about the few that requires ultra settings.

regardless i have seen other games on consoles like Beyond Two Souls which is only for PS3 that looked better than the console crysis versions.  And how many games really require high end machines just so Lara Croft could have better hair physics? So I could see more texture detail on leaves?.  How many mmos require a high end machine...Wildstar? WoW? GW2? ESO? Not even The Secret World.  The fact is even with things like anti-aliasing or tesselation and such which are only small features to what a high end machine can truly handle and are still not worth all that money for those high end parts. If they developed a game that was specifically based on high end specs the game would look very close to CGI in game like i said already.  And they would have to make a lot of games not just a few that also has to be fun for people to even consider buying a high end machine.  Off the top of my head I can think of maybe 3 games that comes close to benefiting a high end machine and those are crysis, planetside 2 (mainly cuz its online) and Metro...thats not that many games.  I rather just save way more money on a mid range pc and still be able to play the majority of games on high settings and not realy care about the few that requires ultra settings.

It's not worth it to you. I admit it's insanely more expensive to buy a high end PC than it is to buy a console and to many people it is not worth the expense. But that doesn't mean that consoles are magically able to handle anywhere near what a high end PC can. I was saying that PCs can handle much more graphical fidelity and that many graphics intensive games take advantage of the extra processing power by being able to scale up to take advantage of it. 

For the record, I think it's pretty damn impressive what developers have been able to get out of the systems from 7 years ago. Some of the games (especially the more recent ones) look absolutely amazing considering the systems came out around late 2005.

I'm not sure why you are unable to see the difference while playing games though. I notice the differences right away. Just the lod on more detailed items alone can completely change the way an open world style game looks and feels. Add great shadows and great textures with some ssao, solid anisotropy, solid AA, 60+ FPS at a high resolution with more detailed and more common effects like god rays, lens flare, proper fog, ambient effects, wind and water effects... I just don't understand how someone can't see the difference between what PCs are now capable of and what PS3/Xbox360 are capable of.

And, eventually, the same thing will happen with the new consoles. They will start to get dated and the newest PCs will be able to handle more and it will be more costly to keep up on PC if you want to experience the best graphics available. But when it comes to Elder Scrolls Online itself, it'll probably have similar if not the same graphics for both PS4/Xbone and PC.

What I find funny is in other threads on this website i often hear most of the PC gamers here saying graphics dont matter its the gameplay that matter when they defending games like Wildstar as one example when others trash talk the graphics and than later the same PC gamers are talking about how powerful graphics are so important and how superior their PC is. Basically they are being hypocrites.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

This means they are going to tie their game to a piece of hardware that can not be upgraded like a PC. In effect this means we wont be seeing new graphic improvements as the years go by because the consoles will not be able to handle it.

Eve Online has had numerous graphic and Direct X updates over time and is still being updated with them. If it was tied to the consoles then this would never happen because the hardware ages rapidly.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

What I find funny is in other threads on this website i often hear most of the PC gamers here saying graphics dont matter its the gameplay that matter when they defending games like Wildstar as one example when others trash talk the graphics and than later the same PC gamers are talking about how powerful graphics are so important and how superior their PC is. Basically they are being hypocrites.

They also may not be the same people you do realize that right?  Not all PC gamers fall into one group.  ESO looks way better then Wild star that is for sure (graphics wise) not that it would take much.  I would never say they cant make a complex, amazing, virtual world MMO for a console.  But at this point from previous experiences, I would say signs don't look good.  Personally I would be open minded enough if they proved how good they did I'd still take a look.  But at this time the ball is in their court to prove it and I cant blame anyone for loose a bit of interest with this announcement.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

My problem with ESO going to consoles isn't about the graphics, it's about the controls.  Although, I was wondering why the character models and armor design is so out dated, this announcement does explain that. 

Seems to me ESO is going to have the same issue LOTRO had, great landscapes, but horrible character models. 

Anywho, my main concern with ESO going to consoles is the same issue FFXI and Skyrim have with the PC version.  The UI and controls were designed to be used on a console, it's blatantly obvious, and they could be so much better on PC.

Take FFXI for example.  If you wanted to buy a weapon from a vendor you had to do something like Tab target to the NPC, then click the use key, then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight the item you wanted to buy, then press Enter, then press Enter again to confirm.  After that you needed to bring up your character screen, then use the arrow keys to highlight the item you wanted to equip, then press Enter to bring up the context menu, then choose Equip. 

If the controls had been designed with PCs in mind this would have been a simple double click on the NPC, double click on the weapon, open inventory, drag item to weapon slot.

A similar problem existed with Skyrim, it was obvious that the mouse was never intended to be part of the control scheme.

This is a problem that just about every PC game that is released on console first suffers from, I don't see any reason to believe that ESO won't fall into the same category.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Dameonk

My problem with ESO going to consoles isn't about the graphics, it's about the controls.  Although, I was wondering why the character models and armor design is so out dated, this announcement does explain that. 

Seems to me ESO is going to have the same issue LOTRO had, great landscapes, but horrible character models. 

Anywho, my main concern with ESO going to consoles is the same issue FFXI and Skyrim have with the PC version.  The UI and controls were designed to be used on a console, it's blatantly obvious, and they could be so much better on PC.

Take FFXI for example.  If you wanted to buy a weapon from a vendor you had to do something like Tab target to the NPC, then click the use key, then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight the item you wanted to buy, then press Enter, then press Enter again to confirm.  After that you needed to bring up your character screen, then use the arrow keys to highlight the item you wanted to equip, then press Enter to bring up the context menu, then choose Equip. 

If the controls had been designed with PCs in mind this would have been a simple double click on the NPC, double click on the weapon, open inventory, drag item to weapon slot.

A similar problem existed with Skyrim, it was obvious that the mouse was never intended to be part of the control scheme.

This is a problem that just about every PC game that is released on console first suffers from, I don't see any reason to believe that ESO won't fall into the same category.

I totally agree with you, one thing I will say in their defense, is they did say the UI would be Moddable, which may help as it did in Skyrim.  It may not be moddable to the extent needed, we dont know yet.  I just with the whole game was moddable

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I have no problem with making games available for everyone. In fact all recent TES games have been for consoles as well.

Only requirement is that they design things like the UI specifically for a platform and don't just release the console version on PC.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

/thread. This is why PC gamers wont keep playing a MMO designed to play on a console. 

Nice pretty graph. too bad it doesn't consider the next Gen consoles. Like to see the stats on that. I'm no fan of consoles , if fact I hate them , but if you're going to roll stuff out it needs to relevant to the systems theses new games will be played on. That said Elder Scrolls Online on consoles = ugh. I get there's a push to by M$ and $ony to get these systems populated and probably incentives. It just sucks. this graph will be probably relevant in 5 years again.

It wont matter... when they build a console they expect to get 4-6 years out of the system before they need to design a new one. PS3 is already about 7 years old. How long will it take the PC market to come out with something equal or more powerful then a console? My bet within the 1st year as thats been the norm. Now the MMO and the console is 2 years old. How far behind is Xbox One and the PS4 tech now? lol Are the new MMOs scaling the game to the old PS4, or the new PCs? My bet... the new PC. Now where does that leave ESO 1-2 years after their launch? Way behind the times. 

Your argument isn't really logical.

You say that ESO will be behind the times because it is on consoles and the PC has a much faster graphical progression.

But that doesn't matter, because when it is released, it isn't likely that the game will receive any major graphical overhauls, regardless of the platforms it is released on. In other words, released games always run behind the times.

In general,  MMO's that go through major updates like that seem to be rather rare and the ones that receive them have usually had a very long lifespan.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

I'll play on PC but I have absolutely no problems with the game being available for consoles. I think this will be a good thing over all. There were a lot of Skyrim players that asked for this. As usual, ZOS and Bethesda are listening to what TES fans want.

With viable first person mode, the next logical step was porting to next gen consoles.

• YimelosYimelos Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Well,now will have to wait for the console versions to be made...:(