Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no auto attack=niche game

Comments

• KeilaniKeilani Member Posts: 17

Because there is no auto attack doesn't mean the game is a "niche" game. The game only requires more skills in timing your attack and to actually focus on what you're doing.  It's also more challenging.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Yes because a game that does your attacks for you is much more fun. Basically the OP is saying "if this game isn't what i want then it's a niche game" *stomps foot*

wow has autoattacks

name me ONE big mmo, without autoattack?

Name one MMORPG that was a top 10 game before 20 years ago. Okay, your turn again. 

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Yes because a game that does your attacks for you is much more fun. Basically the OP is saying "if this game isn't what i want then it's a niche game" *stomps foot*

wow has autoattacks

And you just went there.  I couldn't facepalm harder today if I tried.

You name the one black sheep/fluke game in terms of popularity and playerbase that will never happen again in MMOs and use it as an example as to why a game will or won't make it in popularity (which to you 400 THOUSAND players isn't big) based off one simple game mechanic that's as archaic as the dinosaur. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by arieste

Wait, someone thought that a space-western-cartoon MMORPG is "mainstream" ?  lol.

As far as major titles without auto-attack - just off the top of my head - AoC, GW2, TSW, Tera, TR, Neverwinter, Defiance.. uhm.. did CoH have auto-attack?  There have been tons.  Auto-attack is really quite irrelevant.  Even in games that DO have auto attack, it's not relevant for some of the classes.    An RPG is all about choosing which action to take next.  To choose, you need to press buttons. 

wrong, GW2 does have autoattack

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by arieste

Wait, someone thought that a space-western-cartoon MMORPG is "mainstream" ?  lol.

As far as major titles without auto-attack - just off the top of my head - AoC, GW2, TSW, Tera, TR, Neverwinter, Defiance.. uhm.. did CoH have auto-attack?  There have been tons.  Auto-attack is really quite irrelevant.  Even in games that DO have auto attack, it's not relevant for some of the classes.    An RPG is all about choosing which action to take next.  To choose, you need to press buttons. 

Half Wrong.As pointed out before GW2 has the option to select an ability for auto attack but it is neither necessary or optimal to playing.

Originally posted by Keilani

Because there is no auto attack doesn't mean the game is a "niche" game. The game only requires more skills in timing your attack and to actually focus on what you're doing.  It's also more challenging.

bingo,,the very definition of a hardcore mmo

if the devs were responsible people, they would print it in big letters on the box

but i guess, they rather take the Money from casual players, and take the shitstorm after

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Wow in space = not niche

maybe , thats why they went for the cartoon style,,to lure in wow players

if it really is wow in Space, they should do fine

but , it looks like the combat will be more like TERA

and how well did TERA do?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

i dont play for "effeciency",,,i play for FUN

i dont raid, and i VERY rarely PVP

welcome to another mmo with 3-400k subs

they may sell a lot of boxes, but within a year, they will be at the same level as swtor

and, do you think, this is what the devs want? or do they want to earn a lot of Money?

I play for FUN as well which is why i welcome the no auto attack option tho.

I guess everyone has different preferences i have fun playing and actively controlling my characters every move.

Others it seems rather tab target and click once for the character to do his thing.

Both is cool i suppose but saying it will fail because its not how you prefer it is ignorant.

I believe that no auto attack is the way to go players want to be more active more involved i think that when you offer active dodge/block you have to make the step to have no auto attack as well.

• Originally posted by simplius

Originally posted by arieste Wait, someone thought that a space-western-cartoon MMORPG is "mainstream" ?  lol.   As far as major titles without auto-attack - just off the top of my head - AoC, GW2, TSW, Tera, TR, Neverwinter, Defiance.. uhm.. did CoH have auto-attack?  There have been tons.  Auto-attack is really quite irrelevant.  Even in games that DO have auto attack, it's not relevant for some of the classes.    An RPG is all about choosing which action to take next.  To choose, you need to press buttons. 

Guild Wars 2 has the option for auto attack.But auto attack in Guild Wars 2 is the most unneccessary thing and there is no pro player in Guild Wars 2 who uses auto attack.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

wow has autoattacks

Besides World of Warcraft, name me an MMO that doesn't..

i dont play for "effeciency",,,i play for FUN

i dont raid, and i VERY rarely PVP

welcome to another mmo with 3-400k subs

they may sell a lot of boxes, but within a year, they will be at the same level as swtor

and, do you think, this is what the devs want? or do they want to earn a lot of Money?

How is SWTOR anythig remotely similar to Wildstar?

SWTOR has very little content and very little PVP.. It went F2P and people still don't play it.

Or maybe it is because a majority of the development team worked on WoW!?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 407

I have tested this game ....outside of saying that I can't talk about features but!....ohh nvm

It's hard to figure out if your trolling or you really care about an auto attack

That said as a side note look at your subject line and ask yourself why someone might think auto attack is your issue

I say this because you stated earlier that its was "just one" reason.......

If you have more than one issue post it .....seeing as you havent played the game at the end of the day you have no leg to stand on about the game itself. So far other then continued emo rage on others who dont share your griefs you have yet to state anything of value. If you have other issues with this game I would love to hear them.

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

if it really is wow in Space, they should do fine

Just because you suck hard at Tera's superior combat system, doesn't mean it was fail.  In fact, the combat system in Tera is the main selling point.  Your point is stupid.  Go back to WoW.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

/attack and go afk is boring.  Been there, done that.  Everquest anyone?

While WoW does have auto-attack, you really can't do the above.  Everquest had the benefit have having fewer abilities in the early going, so a Warrior could afk kill something.  WoW, not so much.  White damage is ok, but ability damage will get the job done.  Regardless though, the combat is stale and boring.

Action oriented combat is the way of the future.  It keeps players focused in the game and prevents them from falling asleep (mostly) at the keyboard with boring combat.

However good combat doesn't make the game.  Without a solid progression, decent story, and something more than those horrible, generic, boring, crappy, "been there, done that" quests; games won't be AAA (even if the IP is totally awesome)

Wildstar is a minor blip on my radar, but that huge blip about to be announced is drowning it out (EQN)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12

apparantly, there will no autoattack in wildstar

spamming the same attack button over and over, even in an fight with trash mobs, isnt challenging

its a TIMESINK

it isnt content, either,,i doubt, that it will stop botting too

im so disappointed, i had high hopes for this game

didnt they learn ANYTHING from tortanic?

cancelled my preorder, this was one of the things, that drove me away from swtor

and you dont HAVE to use autoattack,,you can simply turn it off

this is like a car,with only one gear,,enjoy

Cancelled your preorder, really? :p  While I personally agree the auto attack gives a nice flow to combat, you made no argument for it, and coming up with a lie to support your opinion is a rather childish approach lol.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Yep, in WoW, I would just go start auto cursing things on my warlock, just start auto - fireballing on my mage, auto Lightingbolting on my Shaman.

Not every class needs autoattack

Melee doesnt either if the attacks are properly tuned, with proper cooldowns and animations, combat will still flow

You talk about niche, MMOs are niche games, they always have been.  WoW is the only abnormality, one that can NEVER be replicated, no matter what features are present.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Xivik

SWTOR failed because of no auto attack?

I always thought it was:

- a horrible optimized, slow engine

-bug infested galore that doesn't get fixed

- animation delay that took months to fix

- heavily instanced single player feel gameplay

- rotten balance across the board

- no communications about bugs/problems for months after release

- the blatant money grab milk it while we can cash grab it turned into after it went f2p.

But now you mention it, yes having no auto attack caused me to unsub -_-"

SWTOR failed? Thanks for the update. I'm currently playing and there are a shit ton of people in game. I will let them all know it failed so we can move on LOL. 

Seriously though, auto-attack or not, as long as it's a fun game to play, I don't mind. 

• ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52

The most hilarious thing about the topic is that ws does have auto-attack.

Tip: look up a website called "youtube".

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

This one post tells me more about you than anything else.

Just about everyone is in the industry agreed that it was Tera's dull questing that sunk it, not the combat.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by donjn

This one post tells me more about you than anything else.

Just about everyone is in the industry agreed that it was Tera's dull questing that sunk it, not the combat.

I agree and as a long time tera player, I never get sick of the combat it's the dull questing that sends me on a break from time to time. If they had combat like this in a game that actually had more to do I may have a home for a long time.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

apparantly, there will no autoattack in wildstar

spamming the same attack button over and over, even in an fight with trash mobs, isnt challenging

its a TIMESINK

it isnt content, either,,i doubt, that it will stop botting too

im so disappointed, i had high hopes for this game

didnt they learn ANYTHING from tortanic?

cancelled my preorder, this was one of the things, that drove me away from swtor

and you dont HAVE to use autoattack,,you can simply turn it off

this is like a car,with only one gear,,enjoy

But you can't preorder the game yet... so you wouldn't have anything to cancel.

soooooo.....why u gotta lie brah?

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423