Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO more a MP online game than a MMO

13»

Comments

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I feel this game will be like swtor......if they do not handle it correctly at launch.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/zenimax-views-teso-as-more-multiplayer-elder-scrolls-than-mmo/"This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO""It's also soloable, you can solo almost the entire game. We wanted to get Elder Scrolls players who were unfamiliar with online games and MMO terms to get in, play, have fun and get introduced to the multiplayer aspects"Looks like they remember the goal of a game is to have fun, and not according to some "original" MMO ideas. Hopefully they will have a LFD system in place.

Summarizing the article:
    * Limited UI, action based combat and solo content throughout most of the game.
    * No group decisions like what SWToR had. Not sure how that's going to work out.
    * Social interaction will hopefully be in the world, not in an interface. I'm guessing since they'll allow for interactions through the interface, that means they'll have a LFD tool. Except for the fact that they'll have (wait for it)
    * Open World Dungeons!
    * Customizable classes, so you can have an axe wielding Mage, maybe.

It does sound a lot like a multiplayer RPG. Good for them. I agree that it's better to make a fun game instead of trying to run down a list of check marks to make sure you have the "right" features.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Summarizing the article:
    * Limited UI, action based combat and solo content throughout most of the game
    . The skill bar UI element and even auto-hides when you're not in combat and so do the health, stamina and mana bars when they're full. I don't remember seeing that before in an MMO.
    Yes, there will be lots of solo content but there will also be shared kills which encourages helping out random strangers (like GW2,) zone events (think GW2, WAR & Rift,) 4-man instances, 24-man PvE in Adventure Zones and in AvA PvP... lot's of different things.
    * No group decisions like what SWToR had. Not sure how that's going to work out. Curious about this one too.

* Social interaction will hopefully be in the world, not in an interface. I'm guessing since they'll allow for interactions through the interface, that means they'll have a LFD tool. Except for the fact that they'll have (wait for it) The LFG tools are both for PvE and Cyrodiil AvA...especially looking forward to this 2nd one. Making it easy to group in the AvA zone means a better chance of having coordinated PvP.

* Open World Dungeons! Many of those and also a few instanced ones for 4-man groups.

* Customizable classes, so you can have an axe wielding Mage, maybe. Definitely axe-wielding mages :)

It does sound a lot like a multiplayer RPG. Good for them. I agree that it's better to make a fun game instead of trying to run down a list of check marks to make sure you have the "right" features.

It's shaping-up well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by dontadow
    If this horrible mutation of a brilliant idea is called "MMOs" then I'm all for whatever TESO brings to the table that's new. THe MMORPG has mutated so much that in most circles its discarded the RPG part.  I think, in the begining, what most rpg fans wanted out of mmos was a multiplayer rpg.  I don't think it ever occured to me that I would want to kill party members or run the same dungeon to infinitive for 4 points more of toughness so i can do this dungeon and get the +6 toughness i need for the next dungeon. 

What MMORPGs aren't RPGs?

(Keep in mind your answer will reveal whether you understand the different between videogame RPGs and tabletop RPGs, which have separate genre definitions.)

Even early Commodore 64 RPGs I played like Ultima 3 (1983) and Sword of Fargoal (1982) were fundamentally the same progression-focused gameplay you're criticizing.  Neither had a particularly well-told story, and both had the same low (or nonexistent) twitch element to their combat.

Wow!..lol..I played Sword of Fargoal on a commodore cassette-drive. I remember it was so awesome at the time....then I got Ultima III : Exodus...on floppy. You're right though progression hasnt changed a bit.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    i just wanna know if this game will have a monthly sub or not at this point.

gameplay > graphics

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Arclan Originally posted by Zairu Originally posted by nariusseldon
    'gameplay' does not just mean 'right hand, left hand combat mechanics'. ESO lacks many important TES gameplay features. aside from combat, nothing else is there. but if you were only looking at the combat, sure, it looks similar.
    Like what? Riding horses? Linear main quests? VO for NPCs? Crafting? I bet some of those will be there.
    i thought about NONE of those things when saying that.
    Nice troll-swatting skills, Zairu. Makes them look silly. Now then, Iselin, I'm sure you consider yourself a smart guy. Certainly smart enough to know how I, as someone who hasn't played ES, can say with confidence that ESO barely resembles it. Show us how smart you are by answering your own (rhetorical?) question.
    I'm sorry that pointing out the idiocy of saying, in the same paragraph, that you haven't played ES games but ESO is nothing like them annoys you. Simple solution... don't say shit about what you know nothing about... just a thought.

I doubt you limit your decision making to things you have personally experienced, so why insist that I do? Following your logic, you should jump off a cliff without a parachute because it is idiotic of you to think any harm would come from it since you've never experienced it. Sounds rediculous, right? Yes you do. Anyone who has researched the matter knows ESO gameplay will be vastly different than ES.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit