Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth Even Owning A PC Now?

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Comments

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yes, im considering looking at getting a PS4 tbh.

I know TESO is going console what else is there?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Other than Elder Scrolls, what big name MMOs are coming to consoles?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    mmorpg on consoles is just bad in terms of control,
    you need to type and console doesnt work with that.

That aside you also are heavily limited in terms of buttons so things like the classic mmorpg with 20+ skills would never work out.

Next thing UI mods -who is going to write addons on a console? noone.
    Then voicechat, forget about your private server, you either voicechat if the game provides it or you don't.

Overall i dont see playing mmorpgs on consoles.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Actually ive just read that the PS4 is only £350 / $399?

that's not a bad price!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by lizardbones

- Planetside 2

- DCUO

- FFIV: ARR

- Possibly EQNext

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

consoles always suck and will always suck they should just stop making them... pointless making them

a Pc is always the way to go all new Mmo is always on pc and will always be 

and also its not TESO but ESO

i look forward to

ESO

Final fantasy Reborn

Wildstar

• DresbainDresbain Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Everyone should own a pc!

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome."

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

I used to think i'd always have a PC because i like playing MMOs. However, with all the recent developments in the last few days of big MMOs coming to consoles, the reasons for owning a gaming PC are becoming less and less. Don't get my wrong. I'll no doubt always have one, but the days of me spending thousands on gaming PCs for me are over. Just not worth it anymore.

Yes PC is dead jump on bandwagon called consoles train, it seems all others do the same one say consoles next gen mmo and rest of sheeps follow.

If you dont have a nextgen console you dont belong here:P

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by DonY81

Actually ive just read that the PS4 is only £350 / $399? that's not a bad price!

ps4 looks damn fine compared to m$ new xbox.Got to see nintendo next

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107
    The PS4 is just a PC that plugs into your TV.  It's really not much different... IMO it's about time the PC dies.  One less thing we need to spend money on for upgrades all the time.

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I'm definitely getting a PS4.

If they provide keyboard support for their MMOs, I'll definitely consider purchasing MMOs on the PS4 as well.

However, you really can't get a better experience for single player games than on a PC...one word: Mods.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I think the real question you should be asking is what benefit does a console based MMO have over a PC?

Graphics:  About the Same

Controls:  Both can use controllers, but Mouse/Keyboard people have to play on a PC.

Voice Chat:  Most Consoles have integrated voice chat beyond the normal game Voice Chat, PC's can use the game voice chat or another program such s Skype, Teamspeak, and Ventrillo.

Price:  Generally speaking, consoles have recently become cheaper than a "good" gaming PC.

*Servers:  Since Microsoft and Sony rarely want to play well together, the chances of cross-server grouping is slim

Servers are the biggest issue, IMO.  In all honesty, console MMO gaming is small in comparison to PC MMO gaming.  There are exceptions, of course, but when it comes down to it; PC servers will have a higher population.

Granted, this all changes if they allow the aforementioned cross-server grouping.  Defiance was supposed to have it, but it was removed due to issues between the bickering children that are Microsoft Sony.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by ZaineUK

Hi All,

Well if you usually spend thousands on PCs then those PCs will stil be a shit load better than the PS4 or xbox..

They will be capable of a lot better graphcs and now that the consoles are based on a PC platform that means games will be easier to port and setup to look a lot better with the hardware available to PC users. PCs are also capable of donig many things that consoles cant..

I would say that now is prob one of the best times to own a PC for gaming.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Of course it's worth it, a properly built PC is a superior machine by far.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by lizardbones

- Planetside 2

- DCUO

- FFIV: ARR

- Possibly EQNext

Elder Scroll multiplayer(zenimax own words)

Planetside fps small name

ffiv failor

eqn biggest sandbox on console with gamepad lol if that happens its truely end of PC.

But people like weather they change in heart beat if now suddenly all jump on consoles most so called PC owners will let there PC catch dust and play with a gamepad/or wave with there hands sitting on coutch with wife and kids playing casual famely games.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

My gaming PC is now about ~2 years old.

To fully update it to "modern" hardware would cost me about 700 dollars (new mobo, processor, video card).

I'm currently a couple generations behind - AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE and Radeon 6870 1GB

I could spend that 700 dollars and miss out on tons of console exclusives, since it seems like ALL the PC games are going console now.

Or I could spend 400$ on a new PS4 and be good to go for the next 7-8 years.

I am seriously amazed at what the PS3 and XBOX 360 are capable of pushing out (graphically) this late in their life cycle.

When I compare like Halo 3 to Halo 4 the difference is staggering.

If PS4 does blue tooth and/or has USB ports and is capable of using mouse/keyboard - there is no point to a gaming PC.

I have a smart phone, windows 8 tablet, and laptop through work.

Going to be REALLY hard for me to justify a new gaming PC anytime in the future...

I actually prefer playing games with a controller from my couch now anyway.

The days of hunching over a keyboard for hours on end, for me, are pretty much over.

Only reason I still have a gaming PC is MMOs - and now? Only two games I'm really waiting on are both coming to PS4.

They won't be the last.

• thundergodtthundergodt Member UncommonPosts: 31
    PSO2 is another one and i would just get both, i cant see myself playing fallout or skyrim without mods. Even that one rpg The Last Remnant had a better pc version than the xbox 360 one.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Chief021
    The PS4 is just a PC that plugs into your TV.  It's really not much different... IMO it's about time the PC dies.  One less thing we need to spend money on for upgrades all the time.

too bad not all games will go to console, too bad buying a console you lose your freedom of waht OS you will use and programs, adn btw don't you needa  PC to work?  yeah pc will die.....

I swear the more I read the opnion of some people, more I hope for the end of world....

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Somehow I never had the urge to own a console. I mean: there are so many awesome games on PC, why would I need a console?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

until consoles come packaged with KB+M  i dont see any true MMO fans wanting to switch platforms.

nothing I have seen done for a console even approaches the control setup needed for a moderate to complex mmo.

i have no issue switching to a console if the games dont actually suffer for it.... but they always do right now

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by steamtank

until consoles come packaged with KB+M  i dont see any true MMO fans wanting to switch platforms.

nothing I have seen done for a console even approaches the control setup needed for a moderate to complex mmo.

i have no issue switching to a console if the games dont actually suffer for it.... but they always do right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Nuh uh.

Not only mmos, but there is a pletora of games that wont be appearing on consoles, and i am not talking about 2D indy cartoony shit, i am talking about Mount&Blade and the likes.

Plus i am software developer so i need the big guns :D

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah that looks pretty clunky... not somthing i would ever want to  use..

Anyway myself I play a lot of fps games and playing those with a controller makes me want to puke haha.

I for one dont think I will ever move away from PC gaming, and i said earleir i think this is probalyl the best tiem to pwn a PC for gamnig anyway.. I also use my PC for many other things that a console cant do..

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by steamtank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

gamepads still limit the amount of control you can have. sure a game can have LESS for your character to do and work fine on a gamepad... but the more options you want the more you need a kb+m... and a good mouse at that.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I am following E3 and the opposite feeling. What's the point of buying a next gen console? Graphically the games are nothing special, control wise it's the same pad or nothing bullshit, the games are for the most part multi platform, indie games will be released on PC, and all of the mmo's announced will or already are on PC already. These new consoles are just derpessing.
This discussion has been closed.