Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consoles are going Sub based, but MMOs are going free to play! Whats going on?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

Consoles are going sub based of multiplayer, while MMOs are going free to play now. Whats going on?

Seem like some kind of culture change. But what triggered it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    What is going sub based on console?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I havent heard this sub based console MMO talk before either. Watcha you talkin bout?
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It works out perfectly because console players will not pay an additional monthly fee for a mmo on a console. 
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Madness. The world is mad
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    i doubt you will have to be either ps+ member or XBL member to play the mmo since the mmos have separate servers with their own cash shop.  When i played final fantasy 11 i didnt have to be a XBL member to play it.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by colddog04
    What is going sub based on console?

You must have a premium membership to play online multiplayer on PS4 and Xbox 1.

Oh, crazy. Didn't XBox already have a gold membership program you had to pay for to play online with friends? I think the original Xbox had it in like 2001. Maybe the actual service came out later.

Yeah, you've needed a gold membership for quite a while now to play online, stream music, or use Netflix.

So then, has nothing really changed or are they upping the anti and making it an actual recurring subscription or something?

Originally posted by tkreep
    i doubt you will have to be either ps+ member or XBL member to play the mmo since the mmos have separate servers with their own cash shop.  When i played final fantasy 11 i didnt have to be a XBL member to play it.

http://kotaku.com/ps4-video-says-playstation-plus-is-mandatory-for-online-512482325

This article disagrees with you.

its talking about games that use PSN servers which are usually multiplayer modes on shooter games and such, mmos use their own servers

http://kotaku.com/ps4-video-says-playstation-plus-is-mandatory-for-online-512482325

This article disagrees with you.

its talking about games that use PSN servers which are usually multiplayer modes on shooter games and such, mmos use their own servers

I've linked an article and I have another.  It doesn't say anything about Sony servers.  It says online play.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-plus-required-for-ps4-online-play

If you have evidence to the contrary link to it.

As I said earlier when i played final fantasy 11 on 360 i didnt have to have XBL gold membership to play the game, only the games monthly subscription.  Because the game is played on square-enix servers not XBL servers and the game didnt connect online through XBL.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

They never stated you need a Playstation plus or XBL membership to play the MMOs online stop making assumptions. 

I will say EA requires it and when you play madden you're playing on ea servers not MS.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Sony and MS are very known for their stupid business decisions. The market will regulate itself by slapping them in the face once again. Do not worry too much, PC + F2P is what future is about for as long as those two companies act as completely detached from gaming population.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Just another reminder how PC have always been one step ahead of console ;)
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    Console players are more gullible

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Just another reminder how PC have always been one step ahead of console ;)

+1  But I'd probably say more then one step.  Why do people buy consoles?

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    F2p is just a fad for crappy mmos to make some money back.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,745

Kids.

They are easier to con than adults, make them pay to play online, pay for items in the cash shop and pay for the game.

KEER-CHING!

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

"Going" sub-based?   Haven't they had a sub option since the original Xbox?

While one might argue that a free option where Sony uses an Apple iTunes store style cut of the profits on games and uses that revenue to build and run the multiplayer architecture, a subscription model is fairly standard, given the first two XBoxes used it.  And the free model relies on them actually being the gatekeeper for games (like Apple is,) which I would guess players aren't ready for on console just yet.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Their Focus Groups reached different conclusions.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.