Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you actually excited about either of the new consoles?

MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

I, for one, am excited. I have to point out that I am not a fanboy of either system. I played PS1, then PS2, then Xbox 360 and now it looks like it will be PS4. I also am not ignorant to think just because it's on the PC, it's head and shoulders BETTER than consoles. Some games are made with a controller in mind and just plain work better with me sitting on a couch. ;)

I played consoles for a long time (since the 80s with Atari) and back in early 2000 I finally got a decent PC and decided to try EQ1 and eventually WoW. Like most of you I was playing MMOs religiously. I tried them all. I really mean ALL of them. Ok maybe most of them.

Anyways, I was so addicted to WoW and the convenience of my PC that I neglected a lot of triple A console titles. I finally purchased an XBOX 360, due a lot of my friends playing CoD and Black OPS.

Well this just took the cake. I just watched the entire E3 show, yes I am that geeky.

I love games. I play anything that is fun. From the top sellers to the quirky indie titles.

I had a few concerns going into this E3 showing:

1. Price of the consoles. Not because I am cheap. I will spend the money if it is worth it, but because I have to buy two. One for me and one for my kids.

2. What MMOs, if any, were to be released on these consoles.

Well I wrapped up the evening with these two questions answered. $399 for the PS4 and FF14 AND ESO are both on PS4. Also Diablo 3 (which I personally like) .

Now if we can just get the gaming Gods to give us EQNext (or w/e it's gonna be called) on PS4 then all will be aligned in the gaming universe.

Again these are my opinions and I am just curious if any of you are excited and what makes you so?

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm a PC player and have no interest in consoles. I take all this as depressing news, although it was to be expected.  We will be getting the next gen of MMOs optimized for consoles and PC players will generally be the worse for it.  
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Personally, no.  I prefer playing on my PC.

That said, the initial price point of the PS4 isn't terrible.  I *may* buy one down the line when it drops a bit.  Haven't bought a new console since the PS2 though.

Regarding MMOs now catering to the console design.. yeah, that doesn't bode well for PC gamers.  But really, mainstream titles haven't been good for quite some time anyway.  I'll stick to the smaller dev's catering niche communities on the PC. 

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I personally do not intend to buy any console ever unless PC gaming dies. So I am not excited about it, though I am happy for people that prefer the console experience and want to play this.
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

Yeah, I agree but have you seen the specs on the new systems? Now they aren't uber top of the line compared to PC; however, they don't cost over a grand either.

I want to say both come with a 8 core processor, Terabyte HD, 8 gigs of GDDR5 RAM and high range Radeon gfx card. It's not a 10 compared to PCs, but again it doesn't cost over $1,000. I think it's decent considering it's less than $400 and now consoles are kinda catching up with the digital DL games.

I will giving the PS4 a shot. I am kinda of sick of all the over hyped MMOs and the online communities on the PC titles personally. Anyways, I figured most people won't support the consoles considering this is an MMORPG for PCs website. :)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I am pc  player all my life but i think that  both can coexist very well ,what we can see in Eve Online and Dust. It is over with old times let's embrace new era
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

No, I use my PC for stuff, only thing I do on my PS3 is stream Netflix on a TV, and it doubles for a blu ray player.  I have some games for it, but I never play them or get new ones.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    I trust SE will be fine with 14 being on a console. FFXI was released in Japan on PS2 before it was on PC and I played it for a couple years on the Xbox 360 before I made the eventual shift to PC. That said, the PC graphics are far superior on both FFXI and FFXIV but I do believe there is a place for MMOs on consoles.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I am a gamer, and will play on any device that has a game I want to play.  I like my MMOs and FPS on my pc, but prefer most other games on my console or handheld.  The game is what matters, not the hardware it runs on.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    if they can play BF4 with 64 player they can play Elder scroll online with 200 peeps in 1 screen unless microsoft and sony place a limit?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The last console I purchased was a ps2 and that was the day after my GF dumped me.  No more consoles for me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Yep getting a PS4.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Yep getting a PS4.

Cool, so what sold you on it? Mine was the trailer for FF15 (or versus or w/e it's called.)

Elder's Scrolls Online and the bottom line was absolutely 100% - the price. When they stated $399. I actually applauded.

I did like the Xbox showing of Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. If you haven't see it.

I suggest checking it out. It looks super Fun!!

Oh and the Video of the game Killer Instinct brought back some memories, but not enough to sell me on Xbox.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Magicabbage
    Originally posted by Punk999
    Yep getting a PS4.

Cool, so what sold you on it? Mine was the trailer for FF15 (or versus or w/e it's called.)

Elder's Scrolls Online and the bottom line was absolutely 100% - the price. When they stated $399. I actually applauded.

I did like the Xbox showing of Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare. If you haven't see it.

I suggest checking it out. It looks super Fun!!

Oh and the Video of the game Killer Instinct brought back some memories, but not enough to sell me on Xbox.

I watched both MS and sony live streams. I always have loved my 1-3 playstation. When Xbone said 500 dollars along with all the BS they put on people i said F that right there.

PS4 has the games i want Infamous,Killzone,Mad max,ESO,MGS5 and many others. For a much cheaper price 399$ and no DRM or always online bull crap and PS+ is better to me.

Also, i know PS4 will get alot of RPG games down the line like always.

Edit: I also love KI! It isnt being made by Rare tho... it's those dude that made those horrible silent hill game like homecoming. *shudder*

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/54373/playstation-4-will-not-have-region-lock-according-to-sony-pr

Also this is another reason just now.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

I also am not ignorant to think just because it's on the PC, it's head and shoulders BETTER than consoles. Some games are made with a controller in mind and just plain work better with me sitting on a couch. ;)

Yea... They're called First Person Shooters.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Not going to,

I tried them ,. but consoles are geared too arcade game play and I don't care what game you put in them you are restricted by the controller. I asked a dev once that helped develop the ps3 console why they don't add a keyboard and mouse to a consoles as a standard, his remark said it all and I wasn't surprised , basically he said " the idea of throwing those controllers onto a console would just make the console seem like a low end pc, no company wants that reference" at least he was honest ;)

In the end thou, it all comes down to the games they provide, the only thing I ever hated the console for was taking our grand theft auto away, but then we get it later, can't blame the developer thou, more money, more users for the genre on consoles so it makes sense, but most everything else I have ever seen on a console never held interest to me.

Don't get me started about modding and more btw ;) my sig holds a game coming out that is all pc, you could put it on a console but it would be soooo limited. I just can't see ever going back to a console to be honest and the prices of the lower end restricted systems (like a mac) and high priced games is just adds to the reasons. PC game sales where top dog last year, there is a reason :)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I don't play consoles that much.  The last one I brought for myself was the PS1 and Gamecube.  I've brought my kids a Wii and a 360 and I'll most likely get them a PS4 for Christmas.  If the trend of releasing MMO's on consoles is successful, maybe in the future I'll be a console player.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Qallidexz
    Originally posted by Magicabbage I also am not ignorant to think just because it's on the PC, it's head and shoulders BETTER than consoles. Some games are made with a controller in mind and just plain work better with me sitting on a couch. ;)

They are called games designed for using a controller. There are a lot of them, and if you use a controller with those games, whether they are on a console or a pc, they have a better experience.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Magicabbage I also am not ignorant to think just because it's on the PC, it's head and shoulders BETTER than consoles. Some games are made with a controller in mind and just plain work better with me sitting on a couch. ;)

They are called games designed for using a controller. There are a lot of them, and if you use a controller with those games, whether they are on a console or a pc, they have a better experience.

Yea, like Skyrim for example? Nothing beats the joy of pausing every 2 seconds during combat...

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Getting a PS4 for Final Fantasy XV.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yea, like Skyrim for example? Nothing beats the joy of pausing every 2 seconds during combat...

Are you saying that pause during combat is a console thing? Ever hear of Baldur's Gate or all the ES games that existed before consoles? Or, for that matter, any single player game ever... in any platform?

Your hate is affecting your thinking bits.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Many great PC rpgs like Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Kotor had pausing as part of the gameplay to be strategic.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    While I may get a PS4 eventually, there's just three words and a number that I must point out, Rome:Total war 2 :)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    I'm not as excited as I was on the last release of consoles... but I am somewhat excited.  The PS4 will be a nice addition to the rest of my home entertainment devices.  I'd also like to clear out some of my older systems,  though I'll likely keep my PS3 for a while longer.