Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just can't find an MMO to sink my teeth into

2»

Comments

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Really can't find anything out there myself either.

Recently coughed up the dough for the secret world.. just can't get into it.  It's just not an MMORPG, imo.  I don't get it.I *want* to like it, too.  I feel like they could have done much more with that IP.

GW2 was fun but had no staying power.  Rift was generic to the max.  Can't get into LOTRO.  SWTOR no thanks.  Etc, etc.  Best bet may be just to return to some private servers until the next gen of MMOs proves itself (or not).

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

There's quite a few games that are ftp or are going ftp that you could try.

Rift goes ftp Wednesday,you also have Tera,Dragon's Prophet,Neverwinter,Age of Conan,EQ2 and so on.If you want to try the btp route you have The Secret World and Guild Wars 2,

People like different thing's and any of these games could be the one you call home!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Rift goes ftp Wednesday,you also have Tera,Dragon's Prophet,Neverwinter,Age of Conan,EQ2 and so on.If you want to try the btp route you have The Secret World and Guild Wars 2,

People like different thing's and any of these games could be the one you call home!

and every single one of those games have something in common, they lack the charm, depth and intrigue to captivate you and keep you stimulated for a long time.

the secret world, perhaps being the exception but even with that there's something off that almost forces you not play it., it's weird.. even as i play it i'm thinking, "i should be having an awesome fun time right now" but i'm not.

i think in that game it's the combat/skills/loot system, the story/atmosphere is killer.

there's no creativity or depth in games any more, it's amazing how those older games on the sega/nintendo consoles with so much less available to them were able to be so much more creative and have so much more depth.

at the time i dreamed of games as they are now and it's ironic that now i dream of games back then.

if any of these mmo's could even bring half of what those oldschool games brought it would be amazing.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by sxvs
    Originally posted by Slappy1

and every single one of those games have something in common, they lack the charm, depth and intrigue to captivate you and keep you stimulated for a long time.

the secret world, perhaps being the exception but even with that there's something off that almost forces you not play it., it's weird.. even as i play it i'm thinking, "i should be having an awesome fun time right now" but i'm not.

i think in that game it's the combat/skills/loot system, the story/atmosphere is killer.

there's no creativity or depth in games any more, it's amazing how those older games on the sega/nintendo consoles with so much less available to them were able to be so much more creative and have so much more depth.

at the time i dreamed of games as they are now and it's ironic that now i dream of games back then.

if any of these mmo's could even bring half of what those oldschool games brought it would be amazing.

I'd say give Secret World a try if your looking for a good atmosphere type game.  It has it.  Though I must admit I have finally lost the spark it gave and I think that is mainly due to the lack of updates they have released.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

I am having fun in Dragon Prophet beta,  a generic and bland game in many ways, but it has "something", I can not put my finger on, that makes me keep playing. 

Oracle lv29 and so far the game has been getting better  as I'v gone through the quests, both content wise and patches.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by actionreaction
    YOU FOOLS. STOP LOOKING FORWARD. ABANDON YOUR PRESENT. AND RETURN TO THE PAST.

Make you feel better to shout?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• UnseelieCourUnseelieCour Member CommonPosts: 46

I am in the same boat, OP (and all those who replied likewise).

There are some old gems still puffing away, but most of us have played them to death. Plus, they don't always sit well with the fluidity of modern games. Saying that, there is a horrible swell of new mmorpgs - including big budget ones - that are somehow clunkier than a MUD. I sincerely believe mmorpg studios have a tendency to throw too much money at amateur game designers: only in mmorpgs can devs spring out of thin-air 'fully formed' and get a multi-million dollar budget to work with (I speak as a game developer here). The industry if full of people with 'ideas' with no experience of how to realise them - it shouldn't be a surprise that there is a tendency to fall back to cloned designs and leave the marketing team to explain why it is different. The scary thing is, I think a lot of them believe their own hype!

A mmorpg should have a living, breathing world that we all share and, ideally, it ought to be an open seamless world. The different ways we can impact and leave our mark on the world is what will make it stand out to the gamer and entice them to stay. Investment in a character is not enough - I've gone back to mmorpgs after long periods (up to 10 years) and my characters are always the same - unfortunately, so are the worlds. The new breed of mmorpgs just don't address this fundamental pillar of mmorpg gameplay ad mmorpgs haven't for a long time (arguably since UO). I really feel there is an arguement that many mmorpgs are not mmorpgs if the only player to player participation is in small groups of 20vE or 20v20 - the only massive game to be found in most of them is on general chat, and that's not a game most enjoy playing.

It's been a slow creep to this stage and a painful death - let's hope the upcoming mmorpgs do things as differently as they claim to and aren't just speaking through a marketing mouthpiece. Sadly, experience makes me suspect that any positive return to the ideals of mmorpg gameplay will be as slow a creep and this new crop will turn out to only be good on paper, ending up ever-so-slightly more engaging than the current gen.

*sigh*

God, I sound like a right old moaning fart.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

There are a few games to look forward to but TESO seems to be the big one to watch.  Archeage might be good, but its tough to tell.  The are some others to take note of like CU and other smaller MMOs like that.

I played GW2 for a little bit, but I couldn't stick with it.. the combat felt kind of stale after a little bit.  I ended up going back to DCUO, but its much more action oriented and would require a controller on the PC, simply because its more of a fighter where you'll string combos together.  

Otherwise, I'd say try everything.  You never know what you'll end up enjoying.

• TalonsWingTalonsWing Member Posts: 33

Right now it is pretty much Borderlands 2 for me leveling up and min/maxing dps on various toons.  Can't seem to get enough of that game.

GW2 might be worth a spin.  Beyond that I think I will likely wait for new ones to come on the scene.