Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift F2P Is it worth it?

sinichi6825sinichi6825 Member Posts: 10

Hi.. im lvl 30 now on Rift.

At first it suprised me how dynamic this game is .. so many things going on my screen , the graphic is there , the combat is meh..animations add a great deal to the vitual world.. but suddenly after i reached lvl 30 i just realized it gets boring... it gets repetitive. know its an mmo of course you need to kill mobs for quests but i just cant take the bad combat animations.. i mean it just sucks.I also tried the pvp its ok imo.. I just want to know if theres more things i should see in the world of Rift??

Comments

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    When RIFT launched, I went through a similar experience.  Maxed out my toon, got bored, moved on.  It is a pretty game that brought some cool ideas to the genre, but every game can loose its luster after a playing it too often or too much.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I enjoyed going back and had high hopes, especially with the SL souls but once I got to the Sl areas (lvl 50-60) it just become grind.

And the GM craft recipes. Ugh.

Oh well. Good game for a while but it gets old fast, I am sorry to say.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

Well 1st of all I don't just stare at my character during combat,so I really don't notice the animation's.This same complaint has popped up a lot about TSW.I just don't notice it.If I'm having fun and experiencing the game,who care's?

Honestly,if you think these animation's are bad,you should've played UO/EQ year's ago.neither one has good animation by today's standard's,but both are considered classic's by many/most gamers.

Beyond that,the cash shop doesn't offer the bis gear,only gear a tier or so below.So I don't see it as anywhere close to ptw.Also that gear in the shop is also offered for plat.How is that ptw when you can earn in game?

The shop is pretty fairly priced and I would say is right there with EQ2 as far as offering's.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by sinichi6825

Hi.. im lvl 30 now on Rift.

At first it suprised me how dynamic this game is .. so many things going on my screen , the graphic is there , the combat is meh..animations add a great deal to the vitual world.. but suddenly after i reached lvl 30 i just realized it gets boring... it gets repetitive. know its an mmo of course you need to kill mobs for quests but i just cant take the bad combat animations.. i mean it just sucks.I also tried the pvp its ok imo.. I just want to know if theres more things i should see in the world of Rift??

Your reaction is pretty common.  People will try to tell you that Storm legion changes everything, but the combat is still the same.  the zones are better in that they are less cluttered feeling though.

but since its free to play doesnt hurt to play a little here and there and see if it picks up for you after SL.

Originally posted by Slappy1

Beyond that,the cash shop doesn't offer the bis gear,only gear a tier or so below.So I don't see it as anywhere close to ptw.Also that gear in the shop is also offered for plat.How is that ptw when you can earn in game?

The majority of people dont raid in Rift, so the gear is top end for most.  Trion knows people will give this defense though so they dont care, they are just trying to make money the easy way because the gear will sell.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Yes the combat animations can get out of sync especially if you are have a macro which fires of 3 instant abilities at once .

But soloing in any mmo is meh so roll a healer and watch the combat animations in a end game dungeon and let me know how it goes when everyone dies because you were watching animation glitches lol

Originally posted by strangiato2112

The majority of people dont raid in Rift, so the gear is top end for most.  Trion knows people will give this defense though so they dont care, they are just trying to make money the easy way because the gear will sell.

Even if it is top for many,why does it really matter?It's not top end raiding gear,actually from what I've seen it's pretty much blue quality dungeon gear.

That's why i see it as non ptw.I mean if most people aren't raiding and the shop gear is not top end raid gear,where is the problem?It's not the best.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Sorry that's wrong. I have quested gear that is way better. It s far from top end gear.

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20
    Rift is one of the only MMOs that really has endgame, so if you've been a "no end game" whiner about recent titles, then you should check out Rift.
  • sxvssxvs Member Posts: 109

in my opinion, no.

it's similar to guild wars 2 for me in that it looked like an ok game but it just didn't have that depth that i need.. they're both like hot airhead blondes that look great in a first impression but then when you spend some time in depth with them there's not a whole lot to satisfy you beyond the obvious.

i'm not sure the download and install is even worth it to play it for a month and then uninstall as i know will happen.

Even if it is top for many,why does it really matter?It's not top end raiding gear,actually from what I've seen it's pretty much blue quality dungeon gear.

That's why i see it as non ptw.I mean if most people aren't raiding and the shop gear is not top end raid gear,where is the problem?It's not the best.

I dont think anyone in this thread said its p2w, it just doesnt belong in the game.  Trion said it would be dungeon gear.  Dungeons for the majority of the player base IS endgame.  So therefore its endgame gear.  You want to sell things like, for instance, WoW's heirlooms (for people with a level 60 of course)?  Fine.  Thats the type of non-cosmetic gear that i would say is acceptable.  But if you are able to hit max level and instantly upgrade your gear by paying cash there is something off with your system IMO.

I dont think anyone in this thread said its p2w, it just doesnt belong in the game.  Trion said it would be dungeon gear.  Dungeons for the majority of the player base IS endgame.  So therefore its endgame gear.  You want to sell things like, for instance, WoW's heirlooms (for people with a level 60 of course)?  Fine.  Thats the type of non-cosmetic gear that i would say is acceptable.  But if you are able to hit max level and instantly upgrade your gear by paying cash there is something off with your system IMO.

End game gear is orange and comes from raids or daily dungeon quests to farm currency to buy the raid armor. I got the gear for sale in about 2 days .

I brought it up,because it was innevitable that ptw was going to be brought into the equation.Pretty much how these forums roll.It's not ptw as I pointed out and another poster after me stated he has quest gear that is better than the shop gear!So how is it a problem?Especially when the gear in shop can be bought with plat also.

If you buy gear that is below quested gear,isn't it essentially just beefed up cosmetic's?It sure doesn't give you an advantage.

Arya Stark

I brought it up,because it was innevitable that ptw was going to brought into the equation.Pretty much how these forums roll.It's not ptw as I pointed out and another poster after me stated he has quest gear that is better than the shop gear!So how is it a problem?Especially when the gear in shop can be bought with plat also.

If you buy gear that is below quested gear,isn't it essentially just beefed up cosmetic's?It sure doesn't give you an advantage.

Im just going by what Trion said, I havent logged into the PTS.  I do know that world event mounts are for sale, which is just baffling to me.  But then Trion always had different ideas on MMORPG philosophy than I have (ie I would never force 3 faction battleground on a 2 faction game because 3 faction PvP is a popular buzzword or remove falling damage so people can jump from the highest mountain with no penalty.  

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I brought it up,because it was innevitable that ptw was going to be brought into the equation.Pretty much how these forums roll.It's not ptw as I pointed out and another poster after me stated he has quest gear that is better than the shop gear!So how is it a problem?Especially when the gear in shop can be bought with plat also.

You are bang on, besides for most of it, or what I saw on PTS you still needed faction, in turn means you need to play the game. You may as well just play it lol. Also the quested gear isn t just better it w WAY better then it, so I don t see the issue at all.

Diablo 3 is prime example of pay to win
    Originally posted by Grailer

no one in this thread accused Rift of being p2w, so why keep bringing it up?  Diablo III isnt even a MMORPG....

Originally posted by Grailer

no one in this thread accused Rift of being p2w, so why keep bringing it up?  Diablo III isnt even a MMORPG....

Well considering most mmo's end games are 5 man instances then how is d3 not an mmo?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Robokapp

cash shop is full of gear.

stay...awaaaaaayy

I'm not saying you are wrong or that I'm not disappointed in the direction Trion took, but from what I've heard,the gear in the cash shop is not the best gear. It's just decent entry level gear. So what in that is so bad?  It's not P2W if in order to win, you have to then pick up and play from there. I posted in a previous thread how I can use the Cash Shop in GW2 to get full exotics. Not best in slot, but pretty dam close. Again, you get decent gear from the TP using gold traded from gems, but then you have to play the game to get Ascended gear. No one has ever had an issue with the GW2 CS in terms of it pushing P2W. So why is this different. I only see Pay to bypass content but only to a point.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I would agree with everything here.. except for fact you need rep to be able to use the gear and you get that rep (once you've cleaned the quests that give you rep) mostly from repeatable dungeon quests and from killing mobs in dungeons. It'd be a 'massive' rep grind if you tried to get it outside of dungeons. Players won't be able to get to max level and instantly upgrade their gear cos they won't be able to put it on.

Plus, I went on the PTR with my main who is in all elite dungeon gear and none of the stuff in the shop was even close to being as good as it. The gear in the shop is very slightly worse than the gear from 'normal' dungeons.. doesn't even come close to elite dungeons. TBH anyone buying that gear will be disappointed because they will quickly replace it. Top tier Planar and PvP gear is better than elite dungeon gear as well.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

Plus, I went on the PTR with my main who is in all elite dungeon gear and none of the stuff in the shop was even close to being as good as it. The gear in the shop is very slightly worse than the gear from 'normal' dungeons.. doesn't even come close to elite dungeons.

This is pretty good to hear, at least Trion scaled back from their original plans.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    This you can farm way better gear in only a few day and the gear on the shop is vastly overpriced anyone buying it will be very disappointed.
    Everything else on the shop worth buying apart from cosmetics still needs rep and other requirements to equip so its pretty fair in my book.
    Btw i wouldn't rly pay attention to what F2P Haters like Robokapp say, he trashtalks anything that isn't EVE.
  • sinichi6825sinichi6825 Member Posts: 10
    I see... i just want to know what am i gonna expect to do in late game? what are pros and cons of Rift?
  • ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

Imo the class (soul) system in Rift is the best in any MMO. There are definitely "best" soul combinations, but it's extremely customizable. Unlike in other MMOs where you have to completely stop what you're doing, return to town and respec, in Rift you can switch to pre-saved roles. For example, lets say you're a mage and your group's designated healer went LD, you can just switch to Chloromancer and fill the void as needed. Let's say you're going up against a pretty tough AoE encounter, but you're in a more single target spec, with the click of a button you can change that easily.  Those are just two examples, but the possibilities are vast.

Outside of the class system, the game can become fairly boring. However, the dungeons and raids are very well done. They just become monotonous after a while..but that's true with any MMO. I've just started playing the game again after a year or so, so I haven't had a chance to explore much of the new expansion. With that said, I'd definitely encourage anyone to give the game a try..especially since it's going F2P. I'm hoping the game can keep me busy until ESO, EQ Next, and/or Wildstar are released. They're quite a ways off though, so who knows how long I'll continue to play.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by sinichi6825
    I see... i just want to know what am i gonna expect to do in late game? what are pros and cons of Rift?

no different from any other MMO.

You either PvP, raid, do dailies, try to finish off your collections or perhaps help new players/friends.

The only person that can say if its worth it or not is you...its going to be free so its not like you will be wasting your money, just your time, which is what you do in every single game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson