Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting article: GW2 The Friendliest MMORPG Ever (?)

124»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by Soki123

I m talking PVE, but I guess you missed that a few posts back. You can t compare GW2 to those 2 games when it comes to death penalty, and friendliness of the player base to GW2, that has next to no consequences, really just a minor annoyance. It s ok though you keep telling yourself they re the same in that aspect.

Ok let's talk about PvE then.

So you're just another of those people who think socialization is best when enforced by game mechanics. This has already been addressed several times in the thread. A harsh death penalty doesn't make real online "friends", it just forces players to use each other to reach their own goal.

The most social people are those who manage to socialize even without any of those mechanics trying to force them to. Those are the people who are naturally friendly towards others, and not the ones who need the game to tell them they need to make "false friends" to progress.

People forced to endure your presence by game mechanics (be it death penalty, forced grouping, forced raiding, etc...) aren't friends, they are co-workers. Some may become friends, but most will only be people using you to reach their own goal. People naturally going towards you trying to make contact even when not forced to are those who don't see you as a way to get more xp/loot/PvP kills/whatever else, but as another human being playing the same game they want to learn to know better.

Very well said.  It's funny how some people think that certain mechanics should force people to socialize, as if they are incapable of socializing on their own.

The most social people are those on voice chat, guild forums, guild chat, and roleplayers.  None of these are required by the game, but as optional socialization venues.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by observer

I m talking PVE, but I guess you missed that a few posts back. You can t compare GW2 to those 2 games when it comes to death penalty, and friendliness of the player base to GW2, that has next to no consequences, really just a minor annoyance. It s ok though you keep telling yourself they re the same in that aspect.

So you're just another of those people who think socialization is best when enforced by game mechanics. This has already been addressed several times in the thread. A harsh death penalty doesn't make real online "friends", it just forces players to use each other to reach their own goal.

The most social people are those who manage to socialize even without any of those mechanics trying to force them to. Those are the people who are naturally friendly towards others, and not the ones who need the game to tell them they need to make "false friends" to progress.

People forced to endure your presence by game mechanics (be it death penalty, forced grouping, forced raiding, etc...) aren't friends, they are co-workers. Some may become friends, but most will only be people using you to reach their own goal. People naturally going towards you trying to make contact even when not forced to are those who don't see you as a way to get more xp/loot/PvP kills/whatever else, but as another human being playing the same game they want to learn to know better.

Very well said.  It's funny how some people think that certain mechanics should force people to socialize, as if they are incapable of socializing on their own.

The most social people are those on voice chat, guild forums, guild chat, and roleplayers.  None of these are required by the game, but as optional socialization venues.

Never once have I said anything about what you re even talking about. I said in much harsher worlds, people were friendlier, and just more social in general. I can socialize fine and don t need any game mechanics to make it so, I just found GW2 was a very anti social game. These game mechanics making them not friends but co workers is laughable. When people would go out of their way to help you isn t work, it s kindness, those are the friends I want, not some number in a guild just to say I have a guild full of friends of x amount of people. My point is obviously going over some of your heads, so I ll just leave it at that.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

Where there is passion, there is conflict. The game is "friendly" because no-one really cares or has to care (by design).

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Vorch

I think it's true, and it's not because of the community. The community is largely made up of the same people from other MMOs.

The reason it is so friendly is because ANet deliberately made it EXTREMELY hard to grief other people. You see this in PvE and even in WvW where enemy names are not shown.

In GW2, you play with other people, not against them.

That is 100% accurate. That article is just dumb (or it's just a promotion for GW2.. not that it needs it at ALL). 

Look, I like GW2, a lot. It's the best hot-key MMO you can get atm in my worthless opinion, but... it's community is the same old.

Like you said, ANet made it VERY hard to grief other people. It's not easy to kill steal, there is not much competition for killing mobs and resources (due to their abundance) and there is really no way to grief somebody without organizing an entire raid to somehow follow around one guy and insta-gib his mobs.

So.. no props to the GW2 community. Props to ANet for designing the game so well.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Piechunks
    Originally posted by Vorch

I think it's true, and it's not because of the community. The community is largely made up of the same people from other MMOs.

The reason it is so friendly is because ANet deliberately made it EXTREMELY hard to grief other people. You see this in PvE and even in WvW where enemy names are not shown.

In GW2, you play with other people, not against them.

That is 100% accurate. That article is just dumb (or it's just a promotion for GW2.. not that it needs it at ALL). 

Look, I like GW2, a lot. It's the best hot-key MMO you can get atm in my worthless opinion, but... it's community is the same old.

Like you said, ANet made it VERY hard to grief other people. It's not easy to kill steal, there is not much competition for killing mobs and resources (due to their abundance) and there is really no way to grief somebody without organizing an entire raid to somehow follow around one guy and insta-gib his mobs.

So.. no props to the GW2 community. Props to ANet for designing the game so well.

Props to both in my opinion. It's more than not being able to grief. I've had people go out of their way to revive me, and I've done the same for others just because I saw an icon for a downed ally on the minimap. It becomes second nature to not grief when you can't grief.

Look at this new event, Dragon Bash. There are holo-projectors around the world where you can pop mobs that drop event loot. They die fast... way to fast. There's been a "problem" with them dying too fast for others to share on the kills. However, more and more I'm seeing players (myself included) get to a projector then look to see if someone else is coming. If they are, people tend to wait and let everyone get a piece if they can. People can accidentally (or on purpose I suppose) grief by killing the mobs too fast for others to get a hit, but more and more, as people realize this, the community is taking action to slow down and not do that.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by observer

Never once have I said anything about what you re even talking about. I said in much harsher worlds, people were friendlier, and just more social in general. I can socialize fine and don t need any game mechanics to make it so, I just found GW2 was a very anti social game. These game mechanics making them not friends but co workers is laughable. When people would go out of their way to help you isn t work, it s kindness, those are the friends I want, not some number in a guild just to say I have a guild full of friends of x amount of people. My point is obviously going over some of your heads, so I ll just leave it at that.

Your point is well understood, and it's been refuted many times already, except you have a hard time accepting that your feelings (on GW2's antisocialization) are not based on facts.  The only thing laughable are your weak arguments.  You keep saying GW2 is very antisocial, but you never explain how.

Let's take an older MMO as an example.

• Player A is running somewhere, then sees Player B.
    • Player A gives Player B a buff because he is nice.
    • Player B responds with "Thanks."
    • Player A responds with "No problem."
    Is this antisocial or social?  According to you it's social, because they are being friendly.  Oh wait, it's antiosocial too, because they only exchanged a couple of words.  Right?

Same thing happens in GW2.  People will be exploring doing whatever, and they'll see a downed player, so they go help ressurect them.  Players will sometimes say "Thanks", and others will respond with "No problem."
    or
    Someone will ask in /map chat that there is a DE by waypoint A, so people show up and cooperate with them.  Is this antisocial because they are not grouped together by some game mechanic?

As i said, what constitutes being social?  Some of you need to clarify your definitions (and opinions), because i guarantee they will all be different.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There's a difference between being not social and anti social. The latter is what you see in many themeparks but hardly ever in gw2. I.e bring abusive because somebody tagged your node/mob/epic gear/raid slot/...

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ettindettind Member Posts: 5
    I agreed on this article it's the most friendly mmo, because all features has been adjusted in a way that the players will love and play it easily... no wonder it was the innovative game of the year. :)
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

This game is definitely the best game for cooperative gameplay I have seen in a long time.  Ironically it's also (in my opinion of course) one of the games to currently offer fun WvW, mass pvp (yikes the "f" word).  PS2 does that well too, but with a different playstyle of course.

The funny thing is, I have seen this same complaint about socialization about other games and almost 90% of the time it turns out (at least it seems) that the few people complaining actually have some type of socialization issues.  Sometimes you can simply tell just  from how they articulate their responses.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

I think the thing that helps this game is that it doesn't cater to those obnoxious 'gearscore elite' types who like to turn every MMO into a job and boast that they're better than you because thier armor is slightly shinier.  Or that theres only 'one certain way' to play the game or else you're doing it wrong.  Or that you're wearing the wrong gear.  Or questing in the wrong area.

It lets you have fun however 'you' want, without having to worry about some jerk kicking you out of a group because you 'didn't reach the proper DPS number your class should at your level'

I normally play it like a single player game, (pretending everyone I see is an NPC)  but the rare occasions I do hop in the chat, people always seem helpful and willing to group up if you feel like doing something.

I'm still just as much in love with this game as I was when I first bought it.

$60 well spent, i'd say.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Friendliest?  Not in my experience.  Less aggressive perhaps, but that doesn't make it friendly.  More like halfway.. passive, I'd say.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

You know what, I've been thinking about this before.

This MMO must be the friendliest of all. I see really almost no crap talk. Some teasing yes, but no dumb comments. Even in WvW where efforts are sometimes not keeping up with ambitions. Still people are very respectful. I think I never saw the word "noob" in the game.

That said, there is not that much player interaction either. But in the example of WvW you clearly see the maturity level of GW2 players. I think it's hard to have a better population.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    a friend of mine and I were talking about this a few months back this game encourages you to be friendly as has already been said no fighting over chests etc I haven't read through all pages on this subject so if already said I apologise for repeating but the biggest thing for me is events fighting bosses you all gather around attack and a lot of people die but anyone can rez our fallen allies of course we rez them its in our best interest we don't want to wipe but this breeds a certain amount of camaraderie as soon as you rez someone its cheers or thanks mate and when you die yourself someone will rush over and rez you often the same guy you just rezzed they have got a lot of things right in gw2 just a shame for me anyway, theres not enough depth in it to keep me interested
    Originally posted by Volkon

Props to both in my opinion. It's more than not being able to grief. I've had people go out of their way to revive me, and I've done the same for others just because I saw an icon for a downed ally on the minimap. It becomes second nature to not grief when you can't grief.

Look at this new event, Dragon Bash. There are holo-projectors around the world where you can pop mobs that drop event loot. They die fast... way to fast. There's been a "problem" with them dying too fast for others to share on the kills. However, more and more I'm seeing players (myself included) get to a projector then look to see if someone else is coming. If they are, people tend to wait and let everyone get a piece if they can. People can accidentally (or on purpose I suppose) grief by killing the mobs too fast for others to get a hit, but more and more, as people realize this, the community is taking action to slow down and not do that.

On the first day, I actually saw the opposite of what you described: People went off in groups with Eles and took the holograms before anybody else could, or didn't wait for anybody.  I think what you are describing is more of a symptom of people having gotten their loots/achievements and a lack of interest.

I could be wrong, because you're probably not on my server, but... paint me cynical.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by lathaan
    Originally posted by saiweed
    eww no you didnt get what he said at all why are you changing his words

he, and we all, do exactly know what that guy meant. The thing that supports the OP's/linked articles point is tho: rednecks have no place in this game. Competitive? More than youd ever dream of - but a certain kind of competitive player, a certain kind of pve player. the friendly = intelligent ones (bold claim, but my, and that of others, experience).

GW2 is all you can want from a modern, post-EQ mmo.

I wanted more than 2-3 weeks of moderate playtime worth of entertainment.  Unfortunately, I didn't find that.  However, if GW2 is your thing and you're still having fun, that's great for you.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

On my server too, most people wait when they see you sprint to the hologram.

This has been my experience too.  Even in the lowbie areas where some higher levels roam for less people clutter.  The higher levels will stay wait for the guys who are doing actual leveling before they they activate the projector if they see them in the area so others can get a tap.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Slightly off topic, but if people went with Elementalists to tag, they are not the smartest of the pack. Warriors are much better... stability (to avoid the activation knockback, short cooldown skill you can use on almost every hologram), activate hologram, hundred blades, all mobs already half dead if not dead. By the time an elementalist's "Lava Font" ticks its first damage, the mobs are all dead.

On my server too, most people wait when they see you sprint to the hologram. There's surprisingly few asshats, and I suspect most aren't intentionally but just didn't see you come.

Well, the proof is in the pudding and they added an invincibility buff (and knock back as you described) to the mobs with the last update, since people were doing as I had said.. and perhaps as you mentioned.

Before the invincibility buff they essentially died instantly to high levels and people obviously weren't waiting enough so as to make them enact the change