Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you serious with that hype??

2»

Comments

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

I hate to sh*t on your parade but look at what SoE hsa done to the Planetside 2 franchise. They took a great game (Ps1) and reworked it into a fragfest fps, where you spam vehicles to try to get to the next base to upgrade your weapon to a new weapon with the same skin. They took out anything meaningful and rewarding from PS1 and the strategic value and just crapped out a casual POS game.

If you think EQ-Next will be the herald of some kind of fantastic change to the mmorpg genre that fulfills that void we have had for the past 8+ years then you're thinking wrong. However what EQ-Next will do is prove that sandbox games are wanted by the players. So hopefully we get better sandbox mmorpgs on the horizon instead of Indie developers like Aventurine and Starvault that seem to mess up anything good they have going for them.

Perhaps TES might be decent if they try to add some sandbox elements and not stray away from what made the single player games amazing, but I highly doubt it. I think for a few more years the mmorpg crowd will be like a school of fish going to the next "big" thing. Many of the more veteran of the mmorpg crowd will just wait or quit mmorpgs altogether.

MurderHerd

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Why the f#ck do so many people whine about the hype-level? It is a vote and therefore your choice is included no matter if positive or negative. It is your right to vote what you want so why cry like a little b!tch if there are more people who think differently than you?

Man up, shut up and move along. Stop caring that others may be excited about something differently than you. It doesn't affect you in any way.

You stay sassy!

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by IsilithTehroth
    I hate to sh*t on your parade but look at what SoE hsa done to the Planetside 2 franchise. They took a great game (Ps1) and reworked it into a fragfest fps, where you spam vehicles to try to get to the next base to upgrade your weapon to a new weapon with the same skin. They took out anything meaningful and rewarding from PS1 and the strategic value and just crapped out a casual POS game. If you think EQ-Next will be the herald of some kind of fantastic change to the mmorpg genre that fulfills that void we have had for the past 8+ years then you're thinking wrong. However what EQ-Next will do is prove that sandbox games are wanted by the players. So hopefully we get better sandbox mmorpgs on the horizon instead of Indie developers like Aventurine and Starvault that seem to mess up anything good they have going for them. Perhaps TES might be decent if they try to add some sandbox elements and not stray away from what made the single player games amazing, but I highly doubt it. I think for a few more years the mmorpg crowd will be like a school of fish going to the next "big" thing. Many of the more veteran of the mmorpg crowd will just wait or quit mmorpgs altogether.

It's true, PS2 seems really terrible. Now they are making it more like Ps1 in hopes of (also) cashing in on the PS1 base that has largely rejected it. Considering how talented SOE devs are, it is sad to see their managers take a "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality with the F2P cash grabs of today.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bubaluba
     Even on top hardware EQ2 works like 300 lbs dude climbing with bike on alp d'huez  because of worst engine optimization ever.

the reasons why have been detailed - SOE made a bad bet on where technology was going

SOE made EQ2 backwards compatible to support Geoforce3 cards

the design decisions bit them on the butt

Armchair Programmers 4TW!

http://blog.gregsplace.com/2008/03/armchair-programmers-4tw.html

Regarding the shader info, if everyone knew the reasoning why things were done they were, I think they'd be more understanding. When EQ2 went into development, they wanted to support GeForce3, and wanted the game to look just as good on lower hardware. So the only choice was to do many things on the CPU since the graphics card couldn't do it.

The idea at the time was that as processors got faster, the performance would improve over time. Unfortunately science didn't lead us in that direction. So if you want to run the game on a GeForce3 today, it will still look awesome! :)

Dropping support for the GeForce3 sure does sound like an easy thing to do right? We probably just need to go in and deleted a line of code. Sorry, its not that easy. Support for older cards means that all of the shaders were written in ASM for shader version 1.1. We have thousands and thousands of shaders that would all need to be rewritten by artists in order to work on a new shader system.