Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Cap Increases

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The server cap for populations has been increased across the board. What this means is that servers once listed as Full a couple days ago are now "Very High", allowing guilds and players to transfer to these servers if they wish.

What's interesting is that here we are, nine to ten months out, and they're increasing the capacity of the servers to handle more people. This is strongly indicative of sustained growth on the game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

I agree, but what have you done here...

My computer is better than yours.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    In before someone calls Anet liars, and that the real reason it no longer says "full" for any server is that the population is dropping across the board.  
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

I dont think anyone can really dispute that the game is somewhat growing , with the ability to always log in and log out when you want because there isnt a sub fee. I think people still buy guild wars 2 though because on tarnished coast I run into new players all the time when im leveling a alt. Not sure of other servers as most of my friends play on TC but Im sure the game has busy times and slow times just like wow has. 

There is slow times though in GW2 just like any game. Being there is no sub fee I play wow and GW2 and sometimes dont log into guild wars 2 for a few days because I have things going on in wow. Thats what makes gw2 a great buy though, you can always jump back in whenever you want and not have to worry about chasing gear unlike wow that if you are geared during one patch by the next one you are undergeared again.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Volkon

The server cap for populations has been increased across the board. What this means is that servers once listed as Full a couple days ago are now "Very High", allowing guilds and players to transfer to these servers if they wish.

What's interesting is that here we are, nine to ten months out, and they're increasing the capacity of the servers to handle more people. This is strongly indicative of sustained growth on the game.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    One questin I have, is what does "FULL" server mean. Wouldn t that indicate ques etc. I never have to wait to get into a "FULL" server, let alone wait to WvW etc. Yes I log in to see these exact things, because since DAOC when they actually had server numbers at log in, I think they re a load of shit lies to make people think the game is more popular then it actually is.
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Soki123
    One questin I have, is what does "FULL" server mean. Wouldn t that indicate ques etc. I never have to wait to get into a "FULL" server, let alone wait to WvW etc. Yes I log in to see these exact things, because since DAOC when they actually had server numbers at log in, I think they re a load of shit lies to make people think the game is more popular then it actually is.

It's to spread the population out.

Originally posted by Serelisk

That's not what I asked, doesn't full mean full, ie can t fit anymore?

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

It's based on the amount of active accounts who's home to that server, the full status is to keep people from making that your home server. Not to keep people out of the game. They have overflow servers so there's no issue with fitting people in the world. It's just where they choose their home server to be. So no, the only queues in GW2 come from WvW. All other maps have overflows to manage over population during periods of high play time. 

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

A "Full" server is one that is at the active population cap for that server for load reasons. If a server is full you cannot create a new account or transfer to that server. I think you can still guest there however... I'm really not sure on that and would appreciate a correction if I'm wrong on that. Basically it's a cap of accounts on that server that are logged in at that point in time. It's a moving target, so having a lot of people log off for the night, for example, can change a server from "Full" to "Very High". 

I think, if I recall correctly, that this is at least the third time they've bumped up the server caps. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

So am I reading this right? Accounts created on a server indicates whether it s full or not, not the actual amount of people on that server at any given time?
    So am I reading this right? Accounts created on a server indicates whether it s full or not, not the actual amount of people on that server at any given time?

Almost... accounts on the server that are logged in at that point in time. If you're home is that server, but you're offline, you don't count to the cap. Only when you log in you do.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    why the f they do this. now people will leave smaller servers for the larger servers!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Almost... accounts on the server that are logged in at that point in time. If you're home is that server, but you're offline, you don't count to the cap. Only when you log in you do.

Where did Anet state that? I have only seen the post on the boards where they said that it was the number of people who have designated that as their home world or had transferred to that server. There might be other factors.... Do you have a link for that information?

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

"full" servers arent actual people filling up the server..

it indicates how many people made that server their characters home.Whether their logged on or off,whether they havent played in 6 months,will still count towards the "full" indicator.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by tank017

it indicates how many people made that server their characters home.Whether their logged on or off,whether they havent played in 6 months,will still count towards the "full" indicator.

^This. The only information im able to find with google fu states that its the amount desinated to that server, not how many players are currently active. Since its B2P, they have to account for the possibility of anyone designated to that server logging in at any given time.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

I agree, but what have you done here...

Pass the popcorn please.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This is just beginning. I'll have some popcorn also.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by doodphace

^This. The only information im able to find with google fu states that its the amount desinated to that server, not how many players are currently active. Since its B2P, they have to account for the possibility of anyone designated to that server logging in at any given time.

If that is the case, then they will have to forever be expanding capacity.  Though I have a hard time believing that is all there is to it or else f2p games would be constantly expanding server capacity also since they are under similar conditions of someone being able to log on whenever they want to.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Definitely not the case at launch.  I simply had to wait to off peak hours to transfer back to my 'full' server back then. 

If that is now the case, though, then this really doesn't mean much regarding the actual population.  They'll have to expand the cap perpetually to account for people who stopped playing. Although it does show, at least, that new players are still buying the game, which is great.

Frankly I'm disappointed this game didn't end up being the one for me.  Would have been nice finding a 'home' in a game with a healthy, growing population.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Incorrect. We have transfered many players to our Server during 'Blackout Events" where everyone will log off to get the FULL status to turn into Very High to allow transfers over. This is widely known but here's a post for you to get you started:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Jade-Quarry-24-7-WvW-Needs-EU-Oceanics/page/2

few posts down:

Hey there everyone! First of all I wanted to throw out an AWESOME job to everyone who participated in our server-wide “blackout” event just prior to the WvW reset.

We had over 1000 estimated players all attempting to transfer (based off the active guild roster sizes of the guilds trying to switch and allowing some room for solo’s or small guilds taking advantage of the blackout) and we were able to get an estimated 350+ in prior to wvw reset last friday.

We will be hosting more large-scale blackouts soon so keep checking the forums and we’ll let you guys know when the next one is! (We will definitely be having one before the 28th)

See you all soon!image

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Toxia

Incorrect. We have transfered many players to our Server during 'Blackout Events" where everyone will log off to get the FULL status to turn into Very High to allow transfers over. This is widely known but here's a post for you to get you started:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/wuv/wuv/Jade-Quarry-24-7-WvW-Needs-EU-Oceanics/page/2

few posts down:

Hey there everyone! First of all I wanted to throw out an AWESOME job to everyone who participated in our server-wide “blackout” event just prior to the WvW reset.

We had over 1000 estimated players all attempting to transfer (based off the active guild roster sizes of the guilds trying to switch and allowing some room for solo’s or small guilds taking advantage of the blackout) and we were able to get an estimated 350+ in prior to wvw reset last friday.

We will be hosting more large-scale blackouts soon so keep checking the forums and we’ll let you guys know when the next one is! (We will definitely be having one before the 28th)

See you all soon!image

From that same thread.:

"I would love to join the server, but even during the blackout periods (posted on the community website) it is still showing fullimage ."

• FreyasFreyas Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Toxia

few posts down:

See you all soon!image

From that same thread.:

"I would love to join the server, but even during the blackout periods (posted on the community website) it is still showing fullimage ."

From the quoted post, "We had over 1000 estimated players all attempting to transfer ... and we were able to get an estimated 350+ in."  If logged-out players counted towards the server cap, they wouldn't have been able to get anybody transferred over.  However, if there's 1000+ people trying to transfer in to 350 slots that open up, that means that 650+ people were unable to transfer (because the blackout event didn't get enough people to log out in order to open up enough slots for everybody).  For those people, the server probably did always look full, since other people were filling up the slots as they became available, and every time their computers refreshed the status, there weren't any open slots.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'll make the bold prediction that by 'server cap increase' its mostly just shifting the value of 'Full' or "high" population so its a lower number, not going with the artificial indicator its using. Unless its for transfers then it just means they are just bumping up the cap, since the numbers that determine for a server being 'full' on transfer is based on characters on that server, even if they haven't played in several months or not.

I'd easily gamble money the population itself in terms of active players has not grown since launch, with a huge confidence on that. GOOD games, like ones that are actually good haven't been able to establish growth, a game like GW2 that, lets be honest here, isn't bad but its got some noticeable flaws doesn't really stand a chance. Even if say it was actually an amazing game, highly appraised, its unlikely even then it could keep a steady population.

Its all marketing to, ironically enough, give the sense of popularity to try and pull players in. Thus why you see many articles about a game giving off some details that can be trivial, GW2 doing it a lot recently though plenty of other games did it before. Heck, remember SWTOR with its 'high density server' deal they used to disguise a server merger and play it off to draw attention to the game?

Originally posted by Purutzil

I'll make the bold prediction that by 'server cap increase' its mostly just shifting the value of 'Full' or "high" population so its a lower number, not going with the artificial indicator its using. Unless its for transfers then it just means they are just bumping up the cap, since the numbers that determine for a server being 'full' on transfer is based on characters on that server, even if they haven't played in several months or not.

This has been demonstrated to be false. The population of a server regarding status is based upon the number of people logged in and playing at that time on the server. If you're not logged in, you don't count against the cap otherwise blackout events would never work. Population levels have indeed been manipulated by use of blackout events, knocking a server from "Full" to "Very High" temporarily. That's really all the proof needed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This has been demonstrated to be false. The population of a server regarding status is based upon the number of people logged in and playing at that time on the server. If you're not logged in, you don't count against the cap otherwise blackout events would never work. Population levels have indeed been manipulated by use of blackout events, knocking a server from "Full" to "Very High" temporarily. That's really all the proof needed.

This post is factually false according to ANet; the makers of GW2.

Server status is based on accounts that have that server as the 'home' server. Doesn't mean it has to be active.

CC Eva wrote:

Connor, when you see a server FULL means that the people who’ve chosen that server as theirs, or players who have moved to that particular server, have reached the cap, independently of where did they create their accounts.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.