Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice Acting in MMORPG's good or wasted resources?

13»

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Swtor is a financial success so in a business sense it is a good investment. Whether you like VO in mmos is a personal opinion.

So is justin Bieber, what's your point?

According to this logic, everything that make business sense is the 'Justin Bieber' of the music industry.

I don't think that's a good logic to have but w/e; keep on hating something that people buy. I guess you hate smartphones too?

It all comes down to personal opinion really. I think VO is a good thing to have as I enjoy them; I really like SWTOR.

Someone might not and that's okay.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Wasted resource. If I want to watch a movie or see cartoons talk, I'll turn on the television. In 99% of cases, it adds nothing to gameplay or immersion.

Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by DavisFlight An MMORPG will never be as good as a singleplayer RPG. Trying to be one is tossing money and resources into a bottomless pit.
    What if large-budget publishers are actually looking for bottomless pits to throw money into in order to set a standard that independant publishers can't compete with?

What if a company did that, and went nearly bankrupt as a result? Wait, that actually happened.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

I will start off by saying that I don't know how much it cost to do quality voice acting in a game let alone an MMORPG.

Does it lend well to the experience of MMORPG's or is something that you just skip to get to the damn point and get the experience?  

Do you think it's wasted on most people who don't care whats on text or being said by NPC because their only looking to level?

I like voice-overs but I just don't want them to be full within a cutscene.

I don't think it's wasted as it makes the world more alive hearing people(NPC's) talk, but as said I don't need a cutscene for it.

• Yyrkoon_PoMYyrkoon_PoM Member Posts: 150

Unless your company is hiring dozens of A-List actors to do voice over, it never really takes up a large portion of the budget. There are many things that can eat away at the budget and voice over expenditures is easily avoided.  One of the best ways to get around over spending on voice overs is to involve the staff of the company.  One of the best weeks of work for me was when a lot of the staff was at the recording studio doing VO.  When the team is invested in the game beyond their job descriptions good things usually happen.

Basically a good Producer can keep the $VO on budget, bad ones just let it go until it becomes a run away train.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Another pet peeve of mine when it comes to voice acting: expansions and new content. If the game company can't get the same voice actor to add new lines and dialogue to an existing NPC, then it just comes off as... awful. DCUO suffered from this, I believe. Some of the characters don't have the same voices as they did at launch.

Then there's the obvious "We didn't hire a professional, so let's just ask Bob from QA to record some lines."

Nothing worse then listening to some mouth breather nasal-ing his way through a quest hand-out.

I might be an elitist when it comes to sound, but I'm picky that way. If it's not going to be done right... don't do it. In fact, I don't even want it done RIGHT in an MMO. Save your coin, and spend it on something else. Just my opinion.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Your brain is smart enough to fill in the blanks considering the most immersive games I've played had bad graphics and no voice overs.

They are good for climatic/epic parts of the game but for the most part are overused and not needed. in many games cases they hurt the game because they're done poorly or repeat the same persons voice on different NPC's far too often.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    An MMORPG will never be as good as a singleplayer RPG. Trying to be one is tossing money and resources into a bottomless pit. Devs should instead focus on massive storytelling, which is what MMOs are good for. Scripted, solo, linear, instanced content is NOT what MMOs should focus on if they want success.

That is what they say about FPS never as good as an adventure game before now good stories are told in SP FPS (starting with Half Life).

There is no reason why it cannot, given enough money & talent.

In fact, STO is the best ST stories RPG out there, just because there is no other Star Trek RPG. In that case, there is no reason not to grab the "story" market too.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I think if a company wants to add fully voiced questing as their mainstay feature they should focus on that and just that, rather than throw everything including the kitchen sink at it simply to fit the MMORPG criteria. Why not just make a co-op RPG?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    I think if a company wants to add fully voiced questing as their mainstay feature they should focus on that and just that, rather than throw everything including the kitchen sink at it simply to fit the MMORPG criteria. Why not just make a co-op RPG?

I wish they would make TOR a co-op RPG instead. It probably would have been a much better game, and i probably would be playing it.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    Your brain is smart enough to fill in the blanks considering the most immersive games I've played had bad graphics and no voice overs.They are good for climatic/epic parts of the game but for the most part are overused and not needed. in many games cases they hurt the game because they're done poorly or repeat the same persons voice on different NPC's far too often.

+1. They are probably ok when used rarely, such as for some epic achievement.

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    I wish they would make TOR a co-op RPG instead. It probably would have been a much better game, and i probably would be playing it.

Woah, the poster boy for easy-button, non-social, cash-shop themeparks isn't playing the rolls-royce of easy-button, non-social, cash-shop themeparks? Practice what you preach.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Woah, the poster boy for easy-button, non-social, cash-shop themeparks isn't playing the rolls-royce of easy-button, non-social, cash-shop themeparks? Practice what you preach.

easy-button? I played D3 .. nothing easy about that game at MP10. Non-social? TOR is not the only non-social game.

Don't worry .. you won't find me in boring games like Eve.