Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

BBC - World of Warcraft subscribers are leaving, Activision warns

Comments

• marsmercermarsmercer Smyrna, SCPosts: 24Member Uncommon
    Yeah, I just recently cancelled my subscription. The game has grown too 'cutesy' for me. It feels too simple for a practiced mmo player like me. I had wished the game had grown with me. Somehow, I feel we have went our separate ways. I have been playing Rift and loving it. I also am taking my money back to Warhammer Online as the ultimate sign of my dissatisfaction in WoW. Could you imagine beleagured WAR teeming with disaffected WoW vets as the ultimate protest vote? As WoW's subscriber leak away, WAR's grows? What message would that send? Hey, we want a more serious version of this universe--maybe?

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Edina, MNPosts: 145Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on.

Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

f2p doesnt typically bring players back, and brings in new people.  there isnt a large pool of people who havent played WoW that will suddenly play it if its f2p.

I'd disagree, even friends that played hundreds of LoL games that took a break are now back to playing...it wasn't indefinite. For it to work though, Blizzard's next expansion would have to be free and then turn over to a f2p model more than likely. Could wait two more expansions but by that point f2p might not be enough because wow will be like 10+ years old.

• MajiinXMajiinX new hyde park, NYPosts: 89Member

People seem to be forgetting that WoW lost more subs then any 3 sub based games currently have combined. Its far from dieing people still play games like EQ1, DAOC, Ultima Online and EQ2 which also came out the same time as WoW. WoW will continue losing subs but I really doubt blizzard is going to just let the game die without a fight. They are pumping out major content patches at a rapid pace and some of these patches have more content then other MMOs xpacs. And anybody that has done the Legendary Questline will see they are allluding to a burning legion themed xpac which should hopefully bring more players back and at least keep the game going strong till Titan (which I really hope is WoW 2) comes.

Lets face it WoW is the number 1 MMO for a reason, sure it has allot of easy mode content but they have a ton of content to for hardcore gamers like challenge modes, hardmode raids and heroic scenarios. Not to mention WoW has extremely competative pvp with arena and BGs and they also have cross-realm play so no matter what time you come on to play you can always find people to do any content with. 

• thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 473Member Uncommon
    Resubbed on Sunday and bought Mists of Panda Land after a year and half break from the game. Having alot of fun but i had to transfer off of my old server Natherizm because of how dead it was. Last i played nath i believe was full or high pop now sitting at medium. Stormwind * Ironforge were like ghost towns as was the MOP content. 
  • DrowNobleDrowNoble Trenton, MIPosts: 1,296Member
    Originally posted by Datastar
    I feel thier problem isnt the f2p/b2p games out there, its the dumbing down/lack of innovation across the board on all of blizzards games over the past few years.  Thats just my personal opinion.

I think it's a combination of both.

So many games are going F2P now, many of them "premium" mmos.  WoW's subscription doesn't seem to have the value it used to.  If you think about it, vanilla's final patch was 1.12 while BC's was 2.4, that's a drop of 2/3 in the content patches released in the 1st cycle.  As WoW aged, less and less content was added but the price stayed the same (less bang for your buck).

The other factor is how Blizzard is ignoring it's players and doing what it wants and how it wants it.  They admitted arenas were a mistake that imbalanced pvp, yet.... they are still doing arenas.  They say they want to "simplify" resource management then... add another resource to manage.   They say they want you to "bring the player" but in MoP they put in so much phasing tech that people can't bring their players.

I also think that the 3rd problem is recycled content.

Heroics are just recycling an existing instance.  I'm in the same dungeon, fighting same mobs, who path the same way.  Sure they hit harder and take longer to kill but it IS still essentially the same thing all over again.  Then when Wrath hit, they went into recycling overdrive.  First Raid?  Naxx Recycled.  Next Raid?  OS recycled 4 times (0D, 1D, 2D, 3D).  Later on we get 10m, 25m, 10m HM, 25m HM instances.  It's the Same Map, with the Same Mobs, in the Same Place, doing the Same Attacks.  Sure the 25m HM fireball hits harder than the 10m normal, but it's Still A Fireball.  So this led to burnout and people leaving.

It's like Blizzard is just getting lazy and tries to do the minimum possible work.  Why make 4 unique instances when we can just reuse the same one 4 times!  /yawn

• sado2020sado2020 elizabethtown, KYPosts: 112Member
    My wife and I tried playing WoW again for a few weeks.  During that I was doing that, school, and finishing up The Last of Us.  I kept trying to level my 89 druid to 90 but I just couldn't will myself to do it!  To my surprise my wife, once a diehard WoW fan, couldn't do it either.  We just found the game tried and worn out.  WoW's still good and has the population to prove it has a fanbase, but we just can't get into it anymore, it just doesn't have the luster it used too

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member
    Well, I'll just keep playing until it dies. Maybe by then something better will be released. Right now it's trash clones, half-assed sandboxes, or "hipster" games (you know, the ones that try so hard to be different that they end up just like the others), or WoW. Not much choice.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
    Take away flying mounts, lfr, lfg, and make leveling a little difficult.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,058Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Datastar
    I feel thier problem isnt the f2p/b2p games out there, its the dumbing down/lack of innovation across the board on all of blizzards games over the past few years.  Thats just my personal opinion.

This and their inability to add content that is MMO worthy and not what people want.

Dumbing down of their game, such as removing talents and the inclusion of stupid non-mmo activities like Pokémon wil be their utter downfall.  Sure casuals and once a week players might like that, but the backbone of community driven is their hardcore players and until WoW includes more MMO-Like activities like:
    • Housing
    • Alternate Advancement systems
    • Alternate content
    • Removal of PUGable Raids
    Strengthen the binds that keep players playing long-term and you grow your base.  Dumb the game down and you fail miserably.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

oh good, i was wondering when we were gonna have this important discussion again.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

Originally posted by Iselin
    It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?
    Please don't give them ideas! I can just see the next 3 expansions...

OT:
    When WoW reaches less than 3 million subscribers, then I'll worry.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• LatronusLatronus Lexington Park, MDPosts: 692Member
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Iselin
    It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?

Please don't give them ideas! I can just see the next 3 expansions...

OT:
    When WoW reaches less than 3 million subscribers, then I'll worry.

They won't do the Dino race because EQ2 already has that.  Blizzard takes what new games are hyping and expansion for that matter, change it enough to not get sued and release it in their own expansions.  WoW always has been and always will be a clone. MMO players that have been around longer than Blizzards clone now that.  Those that cut their teeth on WoW are the ones that think it was the first at anything other than dumbing down the genre.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    It had it's day in the sun. It simply is time to move onto something better.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    It had it's day in the sun. It simply is time to move onto something better.

What game(s) that will be is the multi-billion dollar question.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sado2020
    My wife and I tried playing WoW again for a few weeks.  During that I was doing that, school, and finishing up The Last of Us.  I kept trying to level my 89 druid to 90 but I just couldn't will myself to do it!  To my surprise my wife, once a diehard WoW fan, couldn't do it either.  We just found the game tried and worn out.  WoW's still good and has the population to prove it has a fanbase, but we just can't get into it anymore, it just doesn't have the luster it used too

I made it to 90, even enjoyed panda land much more than I thought. The whole ancient wisdom vibe. Then came the dailies... I did them for a week. I couldn't do them any more. I then found Wushu. 

I don't think i can every follow the "quest to level cap" formula again. I'm going to try archeage, but I think any game today released with that format is doomed.

• NasherUKNasherUK Secret cavePosts: 476Member Common

People are leaving because the reasons for it drawing so many people in and them getting hooked no longer exist, wow lost it's soul a long time ago. Most of it is down to poor design decisions.

Also WoW as it exists now, is not as good as many of the F2P based MMOs so the subscription requirement is no longer justified.  Guild wars 2, SWTOR and Planetside 2 to name a few all have better content and design and are cheaper if you do pay.

Blizzard always used to make top quality and very polished games, so they were worth the money. But since they got involved with Activision that is no longer the case. It's all about rushing out half-arsed updates and milking the customer for as much cash as possible now, in keeping with the Activision way...

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,466Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on.

Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

I agree,this is not like Blizzard to say anything negative,they usually only spam bragging rights over and over.So they definitely have an agenda behind this which does smell of f2p conversion.

Also they recently overhauled Titan,perhaps also a f2p conversion and what better way to test that market before Titan comes out than in Wow.

Samoan Diamond

• NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,684Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by MadDemon64 I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on. Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).
    I agree,this is not like Blizzard to say anything negative,they usually only spam bragging rights over and over.So they definitely have an agenda behind this which does smell of f2p conversion.

Also they recently overhauled Titan,perhaps also a f2p conversion and what better way to test that market before Titan comes out than in Wow.

...do people really think they are going to dump 8 million sub revenue?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NasherUKNasherUK Secret cavePosts: 476Member Common
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by MadDemon64 I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on. Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

...do people really think they are going to dump 8 million sub revenue?

Depends how much it costs to keep the game running. They might have 8 million subs, but if they need 7.9 million to cover their costs, then they either down-size the company or risk going F2P. Or the company collapses over night.

As they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall :)

• tordurbartordurbar Alexandria, VAPosts: 429Member Uncommon

The reason I left a month after CATA launched was the talent changes. I went to Rift and am still subbed. 

Nostalgia brought me back with MOP but I only lasted two weeks in panda land.

Yes, I think after 7 years that I was finally getting tired of WOW but I felt that way at the end of TBC and WOLK and keep subbed. It REALLY was the talent changes that did it for me.

Despite that I hope that WOW continues. F2p is not the answer. As one poster said, f2p brings in new players, but who has NOT tried WOW at one point. Still I wish the best for WOW. I have not played any game that I enjoyed as much as I did with WOW from vanilla through WOLK. 

• noncleynoncley LondonPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Subscribers to the online adventure game World of Warcraft have dropped dramatically this year, publisher Activision Blizzard has said.

The company said 14% of users left the game between January and March - a fall of 1.3 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464058

In my opinion, people have left the game because Blizz has made the game too linear, too restricted and too directed. No choice you make makes any difference to your gameplay anymore.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,596Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

Subscribers to the online adventure game World of Warcraft have dropped dramatically this year, publisher Activision Blizzard has said.

The company said 14% of users left the game between January and March - a fall of 1.3 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464058

Maybe Blizzard will finally decide they can afford to open up Legacy servers.

• BrialynBrialyn Winder, GAPosts: 184Member

I've been saying that time will be the biggest WoW killer for years. Everytime someone would post "this game is a WoW-Killer" I would chuckle to myself.  

Blizzard/Activision had to know that this gravy train wouldn't last forever and I'm sure they have their plan B, at least I would hope so.  With Titan essentially resetting one has to wonder what trick is up their sleeve. Time will tell. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • MuruganMurugan D, COPosts: 1,494Member

I think if WoW does go F2P and you have people from this forum like Amzamiviram (or whatever) spending hundreds of dollars a month in the cash shop that this will be a huge boon to P2P MMORPG's.

WoW is the only MMO that has mainstream noteriety, if the phenomenon of people spending hundreds and thousands of dollars on virtual items is suddenly exposed to the mainstream then society will finally react, and recognize it for the scam it is.  When everyone knows someone who suffers from F2P money grubbing then friends and family will stage interventions, clinics across the country will open up to treat online gaming addiction (not yet a widespread/known problem in the West), and all the families and relationships ruined by partners who spent their family's savings on "Swords of Might" and "Frilly hats of Sillyness" will finally have the spotlight to share their tale.

WoW going F2P will only bring about the model's demise faster.  Paying real money for virtual items is lunacy no matter how much this website and the people who do it want to justify their actions.  Only when their actions are brought out into the light, and in the open will they realize what they are doing/have done.

Seek help people who spend thousands of dollars a year on virtual junk, please I'm sure there are people who care about you who would be appalled at the way you have been sucked into this scam.

I look forward to the day when pushers of F2P cash shops are viewed with as much disdain as drug dealers, and honestly I think people will view them in an even more negative light if they knew the extent people got sucked into the isolationism and dependence upon paid for virtual items in some MMORPGs.  Take it away Blizzard, take it to the extreme!

• spookydomspookydom BristolPosts: 1,782Member Uncommon
    WoW's not done yet, but by the powers of Greyskull it is  boring nowadays, no offence meant to anybody who still enjoys it. My vote goes to opening timelocked progression servers like EQ did a few years ago. That is very probably the only thing that would make me want to play WoW again.