Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else not thrilled with the setting/theme of WildStar?

2»

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I like the setting and theme of the game. I am SO over standard fantasy settings.

<3

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I love some of the concepts of Wildstar, but I don't know if I'd ever truly be able to get into the game as I would like with an MMO because of the setting and style.  I'm not generally a fan of sci-fi or cartoony games, a little less so the former.  The only thing I've ever liked that deals with a space setting has been the Mass Effect series.  
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I've talked about the problem with the cartoony style. Hell, I have the same problem with WoW. Usually some one tells me "How dare you not play a great game because of they way it looks!"   

I just don't care how great a game is if I don't like the look of it.   I'll be spending all the time staring at the screen. If it doesn't appeal to me, I really can't see myself playing long. And I don't like playing cartoons. 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Its going to be an excellent game, but not for me. As an rper I'm just looking for something that takes itself a bit more seriously. More power to those that enjoy it though and what it offers.

I don't mind an animated look but give me a anime look like FFXIV over this game.  Not to mention OP I'm also with you, I like games where the lore gets taken seriously, I've had enough playing with those who won't follow lore, its a pet peeve of mine and this game only but a few are going to give a damn about the lore.

Its a lovely game, again I think its going to be great if that is what you are looking for. Myself? I want my virtual worlds back please.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

Can we please stop saying cartoony = childish, cause this really isn't the case.

Also in case anybody was wondering why WoW and now Wildstar chose this style: It is timeless and ages very well. This is why realistic styles do not work very well, they age poorly and within a few years the game looks really outdated and the atmosphere it had is lost.

I kind of like the style, but imho the colors are a little to saturated. I prefer WoWs color over WildStar. WoW's art style was pretty much the only thing I ever liked about WoW.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by impiro

Can we please stop saying cartoony = childish, cause this really isn't the case.

Also in case anybody was wondering why WoW and now Wildstar chose this style: It is timeless and ages very well. This is why realistic styles do not work very well, they age poorly and within a few years the game looks really outdated and the atmosphere it had is lost.

I kind of like the style, but imho the colors are a little to saturated. I prefer WoWs color over WildStar. WoW's art style was pretty much the only thing I ever liked about WoW.

I agree,

Good graphics are one of the downfalls of mmos. Developers use to much resorces in trying to please kids with high end computers. and in most cases high end graphics suck too in one way or another.....It's about game play and we all know we need a good mmo !

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by page975

I agree,

Good graphics are one of the downfalls of mmos. Developers use to much resorces in trying to please kids with high end computers. and in most cases high end graphics suck too in one way or another.....It's about game play and we all know we need a good mmo !

Can we stop saying good graphics = childish, cause this really isn't the case.  

Way to counter one exaggeration with another.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

It is absolutely Ah-OK to not like something for the way it looks.

Humans are very much visual creatures so much that it affects how we taste foods and how we hear things :D

That being said I love the style of Wildstar and anyone saying this is 2000 graphics has to have their sight checked! mwhahahaha! No, seriously, it is much better, technically, than WoW ever was, look those models in motion! many many many polygons! check the grass swaying in the wind! etc.

So you can dislike it, but saying this is dated graphics is ignoring the facts.

Finally, Wildstar has a big "Jim Raynor/Firefly" vibe going on for it, with the Exiles being the "Space Cowboys" of the game and the Dominion being the... welll high tech oppressive Empire/Mensgk Dominion/ Firefly Alliance :D

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Resken

Don't get me wrong, this looks like it will probably be a very polished and well put together game. I just feel like the lore and overall setting is really...boring.

I'm not opposed to a good Sci-Fi MMO. I mean, the fantasy theme has been a bit overplayed, for sure. I just feel no desire or interest to explore Nexus, to join either Dominion or Exile, or to advance the "main story" quest. Am I alone in feeling this way? Like I said before the game itself seems promising but in order to truly feel engaged in an online universe I feel like the concept and setting need to be exciting.

Does anyone else feel uneasy or skeptical that they'll be able to enjoy and get into the lore of this game?

Before I get into this, I am going to say some things that are based purely on my opinion, I am not trolling, just stating MY opinion.

Having said that, it reminds me of WoW in space as far as graphics go  which is a huge turn off for me.  I like what I have read about the systems, I don't normally care at all about story (TSW being the exception, but the story IS the game so...)  so that does not weigh on my opinion, my only real hang up is the cartoony style.  From everything I have read thus far I believe it will be a fun, engaging and very popular game and I am sure I will give it a go at least for a bit, but I won't play long term as the graphics make me want to gouge out my eyeballs.  Not really, but I don't like the graphics.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

At least its a slightly orginal setting for an MMO, not just another carbon copy High Fantasy romp.

But in the end what really matters is: Does it play well?

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by page975

I agree,

I completely disagree.  Graphics are one of the most important aspects of an MMO to me.  I hate the cartoony style, and luckily I can afford a computer that can run any game I want at ultra settings.  The part of your statement there I really have to disagree with is the 'kids with high end computers'.  I would think more adults would have high end computers.  Anyway, I am far from a kid, I have a very high end computer and I really enjoy high end graphics, to me the WoW style of cartoony graphics is a waste of time.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    I like the setting and theme of the game. I am SO over standard fantasy settings.

agree - i like the Wildstar setting

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I love the setting and theme! image
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Until this game goes into full Beta we really don't know what the endgame graphics are going to look like and how high they are going to crank them.  

What is debated is not the graphics, but the art style. Some people like Water colors, some people like oil paints. Some people don't care and just find Van Gogh's life fascinating. The art style is very cartoon/anime, which the developers have said. Neither cartoon nor anime equal childish. I prefer that artstyle to "realistic" because games have not mastered realistic yet,.

My red button is game play and gear grinding. From all the panels I have heard, endgame will be more than just 40 - man raids, those are designed for a small minority they are hoping to attract. I'm looking forward to the Foundry-like dungeons, War raids and the continous paths the game claims. 

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Resken

Don't get me wrong, this looks like it will probably be a very polished and well put together game. I just feel like the lore and overall setting is really...boring.

I'm not opposed to a good Sci-Fi MMO. I mean, the fantasy theme has been a bit overplayed, for sure. I just feel no desire or interest to explore Nexus, to join either Dominion or Exile, or to advance the "main story" quest. Am I alone in feeling this way? Like I said before the game itself seems promising but in order to truly feel engaged in an online universe I feel like the concept and setting need to be exciting.

Does anyone else feel uneasy or skeptical that they'll be able to enjoy and get into the lore of this game?

No judging allowed until you have played a released product. Now go to your room. ;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I know, right?! 

If only they had gone with a fantasy theme, with dragons! No one ever does that. :C

• GranDuxGranDux Member Posts: 70

Looks like a Jak and Dexter sci-fi comedy relief with some gags and older concepts sprinkled in and casual game. Depending on the rating. T is more likely M is possible but unsure.

There's an old saying. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because it looks cartoony doesn't mean there aren't certain gags that would go over head of small children<which i've noticed in one of the first trailers> First impression by looking at game reminder of Jak and Dexter style for Playstation 2. Until there is actual gameplay <and not random trailers> not much to go by.

What will really count is how the game was developed and handle if it's worth time or money to play on.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by danwest58

Wildstar in my mind is not worth my time.  They will not learn that large raids is a very small market of MMOs and you cannot have 40 man raiding with a few hundred thousand.  Rift tries to do 20 man raiding with 200K players and it does not work.

Edit adding more.

These graphics are from the early 2000s not for 2013.  Wildstar is trying to copy Vanilla WoW because what success Vanilla WoW had.  Guess what in a way Rift tried to do that but with smaller raids.  That didnt work for rift did it?  No.  Wildstar is trying to use Action Combat in there MMO, and many MMO gamers do not like Action combat period, its for FPS's or single player games not MMOs.  

First:

Wildstar reminds me of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Dungeon and Dragons Cartoon, etc. which is insanely awesome!!!!

Second to danwest58:

It is ok if you don't like the game. However don't start saying incorrect things. 40 man raids will work fine. Hell EQ back in it's day had 300k subscribers and ran with 60+ man raids.

Action Combat is great. I have been playing MMO's since UO. Action combat is a great change to a stale aspect of MMO's.If you can get an Action MMO with the Trinity and all the other MMO features. That will be heaven.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by fs23otm
    Originally posted by danwest58

Wildstar in my mind is not worth my time.  They will not learn that large raids is a very small market of MMOs and you cannot have 40 man raiding with a few hundred thousand.  Rift tries to do 20 man raiding with 200K players and it does not work.

Edit adding more.

These graphics are from the early 2000s not for 2013.  Wildstar is trying to copy Vanilla WoW because what success Vanilla WoW had.  Guess what in a way Rift tried to do that but with smaller raids.  That didnt work for rift did it?  No.  Wildstar is trying to use Action Combat in there MMO, and many MMO gamers do not like Action combat period, its for FPS's or single player games not MMOs.  

First:

Wildstar reminds me of Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Dungeon and Dragons Cartoon, etc. which is insanely awesome!!!!

Second to danwest58:

It is ok if you don't like the game. However don't start saying incorrect things. 40 man raids will work fine. Hell EQ back in it's day had 300k subscribers and ran with 60+ man raids.

Action Combat is great. I have been playing MMO's since UO. Action combat is a great change to a stale aspect of MMO's.If you can get an Action MMO with the Trinity and all the other MMO features. That will be heaven.

40 man raid will work fine...for the first few weeks then when the population inevitably reduces, it wont. Long term 40 man raids will not work and or they wont be enough people playing it to sustain it, but this fully depends on the payment model because players might be more willing to stay if it is b2p.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by silvermember

40 man raid will work fine...for the first few weeks then when the population inevitably reduces, it wont. Long term 40 man raids will not work and or they wont be enough people playing it to sustain it, but this fully depends on the payment model because players might be more willing to stay if it is b2p.

40 Man raids success has nothing to do with population numbers. EQ ran raids larger then 40 with only 300k subscribers. 

As long as the raids are fun and the loot is worth it.... 40 Man Raids work.

The problem is the people who don't want to join a larger guild but want to "see all the content." Those are the ones that have cause a decline in current industry raid content. 

• KarvarenKarvaren Member UncommonPosts: 12

Not thrilled!

Looks to me as this is going to be an odd game, with some spectacular features and some horrendous ones. Can't make heads or tails of it yet, but I would definitely have preferred some other setting and graphics style.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

So far I'm still very interested in Wildstar. I hope I get into open beta so I can feel how the game plays because really, that's going to make or break it.

Feature lists can be a mile long, but if a game doesn't play well, then it's all for naught.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I like the setting and theme of Wildstar. The art style doesn't bother me as I have enjoyed Torchlight, Borderlands, and other similarly styled games.

Some of the features do bother me a bit though so I'm taking a wait and see approach to the game before I commit to it.

• JonestownJuiceJonestownJuice Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon
    I'm with you OP.  I dont play mmo's to explore or build stuff and i sure dont play them for action combat. If I want action i will play an online fps or rts game like LoL. Exploring is for games like skyrim or drake uncharted which you can take back for a return some of you money if they suck.  I play mmos to level a toon and outfit him and make him mine. To tweak my build and gear for the best surviveability or damage against the toughest bosses. If youre trying to sell me a new mmo just because in yours I can roll around  and dodge attacks, i would laugh at you and say... thats what armor is for.. taking hits. I dont want different paths that are unique to me... because then whats the point of playing together with my friends if we're all doing something different till endgame. And youre telling me I need 40 friends to really conquer endgame!!!? To me it just sounds like youre trying to combine every little thing you can think of in video games to sell to as many as you possible can before they move on to a real mmo.

I think you may be what's wrong with MMOs these days.  At least in my opinion.  I think MMOs should be virtual worlds that you can explore and live in.  Otherwise what's the point of it being persistent?  If you just want to level up a character and gear it up, you can play Call of Duty or something similar.

When MMOs first hit the mainstream with UO and EQ, my friends and I started playing them because they were sort of a digital version of pen and paper RPGs.  They were worlds.  Even then we fantasized about how detailed those worlds would be as new MMOs came out.  Then WoW came out and kind of blew that all out of the water.

I'm so glad Wildstar isn't following that formula.  It's a world I can fight in, play in, build in, socialize in.  It's not me constantly fighting for gear and then rinsing and repeating.  I can take a break to hang out, fix up my house, build some stuff.  Travel around and see the sights.  This is the direction I had always wanted MMOs to go in.