Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ghost in the Shell by Nexon [1st Half of 2014 Release?]

2»

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by taus01

This is most likely something along the lines of Warface, Warframe, Warwhatchamacallit. A simple lobby based shooter. i doubt we will see a deep and true to the genre cyberpunk game until Cyberpunk 2077 which is sadly single player.

Cyberpunk is a very philosophy- and story-driven genre. I don't think it can be accurately represented in an MMO. Sure, you can make a cyberpunk MMO like Anarchy Online, but then you'll just use the superficial aspects of it all without focusing on what makes cyberpunk works tick.

And, as much as I like GitS, this MMO will probably suck. On the other hand, I'm eagerly waiting for Cyberpunk 2077.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Scalpless

This is most likely something along the lines of Warface, Warframe, Warwhatchamacallit. A simple lobby based shooter. i doubt we will see a deep and true to the genre cyberpunk game until Cyberpunk 2077 which is sadly single player.

Cyberpunk is a very philosophy- and story-driven genre. I don't think it can be accurately represented in an MMO. Sure, you can make a cyberpunk MMO like Anarchy Online, but then you'll just use the superficial aspects of it all without focusing on what makes cyberpunk works tick.

And, as much as I like GitS, this MMO will probably suck. On the other hand, I'm eagerly waiting for Cyberpunk 2077.

I have to disagree. If you take the rules from the original Cyberpunk 2020 by Mike Pondsmith and stay true to them including the cyber-psychosis, ethical and moral rules and sub-context you could make a fantastic MMO. The problem is that it would be very rough and unforgiving and not at all mainstream. This would make even the hardcore MMO crowd go cry in a corner when they lose control of their character due to too much augmentation after they lost yet another limb in a bar fight gone sour. Or when they can't talk to normal NPCs any more because they lack the humanity to do anything else than grunt and smash their heads in.

I vividly remember sessions where the game master said, "I am sorry you failed your humanity check and instead of buying the burger after a short argument over the fries you smashed the waiters head through the table, decapitated and gutted the rest of the restaurant, then set fire to the place and are now sitting outside watching the fire, eating your Whopper and fries.

Cyberpunk 2020 got its feel from the utter sociopathy of the setting. That was a world where even the fluffy liberals are a pack of mass-murdering terrorists. It was eminently self-destructive, and there was no way that humanity would ever advance into any kind of hypothetical age of enlightenment. The human race was on the road to hell in Cyberpunk 2020. This insanity was exemplified by the idea that your character would willingly have entire limbs hacked away in a filthy, back-street ripperdoc’s, to make himself better at his job or his hobbies, in return for destroying his own ability to empathise with other people and, eventually, descend into full cyberpsychosis

Man, the more i talk and think about it the more i want to make this game or someone to make it. I love this genre so much.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

If you've played P&P, you don't need me to explain why things that work in those games wouldn't work in an MMO.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Axehilt
    Absolutely love Ghost in the Shell (particularly the two Standalone Complex series.)

However I have no real hope for a game to do the IP justice.  It's like Firefly: the thing that makes it awesome isn't the combat sequences.  In Firefly's case it's really the characters and script which set it apart (the world helps, but isn't really the centerpiece.)  In GITS' case it's the intelligent guesswork of all the interesting problems which a futuristic society might face.

I mean if you were like, "...and the Telltale Games team who worked on The Walking Dead is doing it!"  I'd be crapping myself right now.

Sadly that's not the case. :(  

That's another nagging point in my head. I have yet to see any "crossover" (books to films, films to games, games to films, books to games) of any IP work very well.

And yes, the heart of the series is not FPS friendly :)

PS:
    Linking a short video with the main character, Major Mojoko Kusanagi, for those unfamiliar with the series.

I thought Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was very good cross over. Dark Athena wasn't as good though (I can't remember when it takes place).

GitS really doesn't belong as an MMO like Axehilt said. As a coop FPS it could be somewhat fun but once it centers primarily on combat it looses what makes it special.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I have to disagree. If you take the rules from the original Cyberpunk 2020 by Mike Pondsmith and stay true to them including the cyber-psychosis, ethical and moral rules and sub-context you could make a fantastic MMO. The problem is that it would be very rough and unforgiving and not at all mainstream. This would make even the hardcore MMO crowd go cry in a corner when they lose control of their character due to too much augmentation after they lost yet another limb in a bar fight gone sour. Or when they can't talk to normal NPCs any more because they lack the humanity to do anything else than grunt and smash their heads in.

I vividly remember sessions where the game master said, "I am sorry you failed your humanity check and instead of buying the burger after a short argument over the fries you smashed the waiters head through the table, decapitated and gutted the rest of the restaurant, then set fire to the place and are now sitting outside watching the fire, eating your Whopper and fries.

Cyberpunk 2020 got its feel from the utter sociopathy of the setting. That was a world where even the fluffy liberals are a pack of mass-murdering terrorists. It was eminently self-destructive, and there was no way that humanity would ever advance into any kind of hypothetical age of enlightenment. The human race was on the road to hell in Cyberpunk 2020. This insanity was exemplified by the idea that your character would willingly have entire limbs hacked away in a filthy, back-street ripperdoc’s, to make himself better at his job or his hobbies, in return for destroying his own ability to empathise with other people and, eventually, descend into full cyberpsychosis

Man, the more i talk and think about it the more i want to make this game or someone to make it. I love this genre so much.

How does replacing limbs equal loosing your humanity? If it was brain augmentation then that would make more sense.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

How does replacing limbs equal loosing your humanity? If it was brain augmentation then that would make more sense.

1) Game mechanic. For the same reasons you can't do "X" for person "Y", when you do it all the time with team members "B" through "F". I don't have any real familiarity with Cyberpunk 2020, but it's pretty obvious to me that getting a cybernetic enhancement or arm replacement that increases your strength immensely is always preferred to not having it. Players will always want to try to minmax, and if you gave them full access to all of it unimpeded, everyone is going to be full-on Terminator.

2) Addictions. They might start to get addicted to it, either due to the rush of the increased power or capabilities, or just from the act itself. They start to feel the need to replace more and more, until they've lost what was left of what truly made them human. Futurama had an episode dealing with this, when Hermes started upgrading himself more and more, and refused to stop until he even removed his own brain.

3) Discrimination. Again, not familiar with the setting or rules, but someone who might be lightly augmented wouldn't be singled out nearly as quick or harshly as the big silver guy with a cannon for an arm I'd imagine. People can only deal so much with that until they snap. It would also make human interaction harder, because people wouldn't want to approach the latter individual, and as studies HAVE shown, a lack of human interaction can drive someone insane relatively quickly.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Absolutely love Ghost in the Shell (particularly the two Standalone Complex series.)However I have no real hope for a game to do the IP justice.  It's like Firefly: the thing that makes it awesome isn't the combat sequences.  In Firefly's case it's really the characters and script which set it apart (the world helps, but isn't really the centerpiece.)  In GITS' case it's the intelligent guesswork of all the interesting problems which a futuristic society might face.I mean if you were like, "...and the Telltale Games team who worked on The Walking Dead is doing it!"  I'd be crapping myself right now.Sadly that's not the case. :(
    That's another nagging point in my head. I have yet to see any "crossover" (books to films, films to games, games to films, books to games) of any IP work very well.And yes, the heart of the series is not FPS friendly :)
    I thought Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was very good cross over. Dark Athena wasn't as good though (I can't remember when it takes place).GitS really doesn't belong as an MMO like Axehilt said. As a coop FPS it could be somewhat fun but once it centers primarily on combat it looses what makes it special.
    I'm only familiar with Riddick through Vin Diesel and his movies. I have not played the games nor read the books.

I don't know what Dark Athena is :)

I am sure there are a few good crossover examples, but I really have not seen many, if any. That's just my limited experience, though :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Absolutely love Ghost in the Shell (particularly the two Standalone Complex series.)

However I have no real hope for a game to do the IP justice.  It's like Firefly: the thing that makes it awesome isn't the combat sequences.  In Firefly's case it's really the characters and script which set it apart (the world helps, but isn't really the centerpiece.)  In GITS' case it's the intelligent guesswork of all the interesting problems which a futuristic society might face.

I mean if you were like, "...and the Telltale Games team who worked on The Walking Dead is doing it!"  I'd be crapping myself right now.

Sadly that's not the case. :(

That's another nagging point in my head. I have yet to see any "crossover" (books to films, films to games, games to films, books to games) of any IP work very well.

And yes, the heart of the series is not FPS friendly :)

I thought Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was very good cross over. Dark Athena wasn't as good though (I can't remember when it takes place).

GitS really doesn't belong as an MMO like Axehilt said. As a coop FPS it could be somewhat fun but once it centers primarily on combat it looses what makes it special.

I'm only familiar with Riddick through Vin Diesel and his movies. I have not played the games nor read the books.

I am sure there are a few good crossover examples, but I really have not seen many, if any. That's just my limited experience, though :)

Escape from Butcher Bay and Dark Athena are great games based on Riddick i recommend them

Originally posted by tkreep

Escape from Butcher Bay and Dark Athena are great games based on Riddick i recommend them

Escape From Butcher Bay is a HL2-quality shooter that barely anyone played for some unknown reason. Maybe it got labeled as a "movie game". Anyway, I recommend it, too. It has some features that I've never seen anywhere else, like the way its music is handled. Basically, you've got three different tracks (basic/action/stealth) playing continuously and their volume is adjusted based on what you're doing, leading to very atmospheric and responsive music. And the health system. And first-person melee combat. And... I want a Chronicles of Riddick 2.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

These are not like a prosthetic. These are replacements that pack a punch and in the dark violent world of CP2020 it's all about survival. You basically weaponize your body. You become addicted to replacements pretty easy, since they are very cool and very powerful.

Small augmentations don't make much difference, like eye replacement for targeting or hearing enhancements. Replacing a limb however has a traumatic effect. The newly gained strength of say a cyber arm, the feeling of superiority since you can now crush a human skull like an egg can mess with your head pretty good. People will react different to you too, since you are now a threat, a very high threat. 

Cyberpunk 2020 even had full body replacements. Human brain in a full cyborg body. Very restricted and hard to play since you are always on the edge of psychosis and need a ton of drugs and chemicals to survive.

One of the funnier ones was the Cyberstud, yepp its a replacement penis. The P&P game has pretty much everything you can imagine.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"