Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would it be anything like Everquest 1?

WheskyWhesky Member Posts: 125

Just a question. I haven't read anything that says it would be like Everquest 1. And I see so such high expectations from the EQ vets, so I wonder where all this hope and expectation for it to be like EQ1 comes from?

My impression, from what i've read and heard, is that it will be "different" from both EQ1 and EQ2, those games will still be there when EQN launches. They wanted to create a completely new game with EQN.

Listen to this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-MEgLXKXs

Again i'm just posing a question, feel free to enlighten me. Just afraid those with this kind of expectation will be dissapointed.

My expectations are also high, and i'm hoping for something like SWG pre-nge.

SWG, Eve, Planetside 2, EQN, Star Citizen

Comments

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Whesky

Just a question. I haven't read anything that says it would be like Everquest 1. And I see so such high expectations from the EQ vets, so I wonder where all this hope and expectation for it to be like EQ1 comes from?

My impression, from what i've read and heard, is that it will be "different" from both EQ1 and EQ2, those games will still be there when EQN launches. They wanted to create a completely new game with EQN.

Again i'm just posing a question, feel free to enlighten me. Just afraid those with this kind of expectation will be dissapointed.

Well - nobody really knows yet how the game will be.  But the disgruntled vets need something to look forward to and what would be better then a game that has the potential to bring back the magic of Everquest.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Those hoping for original EQ, will be disappointed, and I don't know why anyone expects it to be. SoE has stated they want the EQ games to be different, and they want players to choose which EQ game is right for them.

Smokejumper even hinted at 1 character being able to be all classes (whatever that means, it could be implemented in a few different ways).

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well they've already said its a sandbox, which EQ isn't.
  • asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I haven't seen anything that shows that EQN will be like EQ, but I am still hoping for it. It's possible that it will be.

I see the Sandbox to Themepark issue as a scale from pure sandbox being programming your own game to Themepark being watching a movie with no choices at all. On that scale I didn't consider EQ a sandbox, but everything since then is more themepark. They've taken away what sand they did have in EQ.

So when they say sandbox I think more like the original and less like modern games.

That's where my hope that it'll be more like EQ comes from.

Asdar

Eve is more themepark than EQ wtf?

Or swg.

Even within themeparks there's less themeparky games than EQ like ac & daoc.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I listened to something a while back, saying they wanted to capture the feel of the original EQ again, the exploring and such...So I guess that would be vague and you could take what you want from it, if people heard this also.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Most of it is wishful thinking (me included).  I'm sure most of the EQ vets know, we are not going to get an updated EQ.  I'm just hoping they capture the feel of the original game and it's not a easy mode quest grind to end game like most MMO's.
  • Cylan1Cylan1 Member Posts: 18

"We want to make something that still keeps the flavor, lore, and core of the original"  - Smed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyHMejR3pJM   (4:50 mark)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Smedley can say whatever he wants, he is known to just say whatever to get peoples attention. The game will be nothing like Everquest, it just isn't possible anymore because of the wants of the playerbase. Even the older vets, their wants are completely different than what Everquest was when it came out and at this point in time I highly doubt they are going to make it even somewhat similar to it.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Smedley can say whatever he wants, he is known to just say whatever to get peoples attention. The game will be nothing like Everquest, it just isn't possible anymore because of the wants of the playerbase. Even the older vets, their wants are completely different than what Everquest was when it came out and at this point in time I highly doubt they are going to make it even somewhat similar to it.

I agree.

Also it would make no sense to create a game that will compete with EQ1 which is still active and has a stable player base.

with new games you want to attract *new* players not take the ones playing your current games.

EQN will have similar lore and setting but the gameplay will most likely be completely different than any game that SoE has in their portfolio.

You have heard of a game called Everquest 2 right? It didn't stop them then.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Iadien

Smokejumper even hinted at 1 character being able to be all classes (whatever that means, it could be implemented in a few different ways).

This is something i wish every MMO did.  Just copy and improve on FFXI's class system and you're golden.  Of course i say this as someone that hates alts.  I prefer knowing who everyone on my server is and your name meaning something.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Cylan1

"We want to make something that still keeps the flavor, lore, and core of the original"  - Smed

That is from long before they scrapped that version of Everquest Next. That Q&A was for the themepark they were making.

• ClassicEQClassicEQ Member Posts: 145

This.  

They would have to be blind if they didn't know many of their fans come from the original EQ. Just look at the loads of forums, time progression servers, and project 1999.

Sure, they might want to appeal to huge audience, but it is up to them if they want to fail like all these other hyped-mmo's. Considering they scrapped their whole design and started over, I'm pretty sure they taking everything into consideration.

I'm staying upbeat for now. If I'm disappointed, oh well *shrug*  I will just get more done in real life... haha ;)

I'm hoping it is a sandbox, with the same level of immersion and community as EQ1.

On the 1 character can play all classes thing, that's like planetside 2 then?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

That is from long before they scrapped that version of Everquest Next. That Q&A was for the themepark they were making.

Smed has said that EQN will still be very familiar to EQ players, that's enough for me. Smed and co are going heavy on what you can actually do in the world, a living breathing world that changes. Concentrating on AI, druids having to search out regents for their spells or having to pray to a god in some forest glade.

Seasons changing and a full interactive world, forests growing back after they have been burnt down.

EQN is more about changing the world and what you can actually do in it but still keeping that old EQ feel that we vets recognize. There will still be high level raiding and expansion with high level content but the difference will be what we can do in the world in between the expansion.

They are going to change the "rinse and repeat" rot that has plagued mmo's since time become.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Vanguard is more EQ then EQ2 is.  EQ2 attracts a completely different type of mmo player.  

With that said you will all be shocked when you start seeing videos.  2 months guys.

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36

this is just too old to be certain it still holds much truth, in the current state if at all - they have said they were working on EQ2.5 (or 1.5 if you wamt), but scrapped it.

they simply didnt get enough buzz for the game back then...but that could be the whole thing they have done this year ofc...rather than actually having reworked the way EQ works in the new Norrath

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I don't want a copy of EQ. If they copy the original and then just put it into an upgraded engine, it will flop.

I want the same developers who made EQ1 and also fresh ideas (which they have, on both accounts) to take what made EQ1 great and put those elements, plus more in a very updated Everquest world.

From what I have seen and read, this is exactly what they are doing. They have some of the best and most innovative minds on MMO creation and they basically sat at a table for months deciding what made the world(s) great, what players liked, what they didn't like and what new ideas would be fun. Their 'Holy Grails' as they put it. Ideas that every MMO designer has always wanted, but never achieved. And they have the funding to back prolonged development so they can achieve those goals.

Wrap that inside an Everquest shell, yum. I've been eagerly awaiting news about EQNext since I first heard about it years ago, the closer it gets, the more I want it.

As long as it isn't close to the same random crap that gets released now a days, it will be great. Hell, at this point in MMO's they could take SWG and reskin it as EQ and it would be a success. I'm pretty sure that's not what they are doing though.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    They arent even calling in an mmorpg, I saw an interview and they kept referring to it as an alternate reality or something like that.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    It was stated in the past that EQN will go back to eq1 roots, and that is all that was said.  EQN will not pick up where EQ2 left off, its already stated.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by William12

Vanguard is more EQ then EQ2 is.  EQ2 attracts a completely different type of mmo player.  

With that said you will all be shocked when you start seeing videos.  2 months guys.

Oh?  Do you have insider info?  PM me ;)

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Nothing will ever be like Everquest or Vanilla WoW ever again, the market is saturated with mmorpgs. The excitement of a new entertainment type has been thinned out so much that the adventure will never be the same.

No matter what the graphics look like, the movement enhancements that have been made, or any of the newer bells and whistles added, or the general gameplay improvements, it will never be like EQ. We are all chasing fleeting memories that are all gone. /cries.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well the second poster got it right when mentioning the word "disgruntled".I was there during the release of EQ2 and i saw a lot of angry chat over Eq2.

At the time i was totally not liking it but now from my own perspective i can understand it but in a different way.You see i am a long time fan of FFXI and when FFXIV came out i was not happy.However i wasn't happy because i WANTED FFXIV to be greast,i wanted to move on to another game.

In case of Eq1>EQ2 what i saw was a lot of complaining that EQ2 was not like EQ1.I thought it was childish nonsense because if you want EQ1,it is already there go play it.To be honest the two games were near identical,just Eq2 looks a ton better.

I am about 95% certain that Next will be a lot  like EQ1 and like EQ2,including  perhaps some LORE and maybe a repeat of the HERITAGE idea.SOE is not so brilliant on new ideas,so yes i see expect some copying,linear questing ect ect,if you like another Wow clone.

What i believe SOE is banking on is ONE gimmick,that is about SOE's capacity for NEW ideas.I believe it will be focused on PLOTS via cash shop using a sort of Minecraft idea.In other words some overlying gimmick but the game play will still be the same old WOWesqe type game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Whesky

EQ1 was more sandbox than EQ2, and EQN is going to be a sandbox game. So, we assume it leans more towards EQ1. Plus, the casual themepark WoW clone has proven to be an unsuccessful design model.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Well they've already said its a sandbox, which EQ isn't.

^^^

yep expect mine craft with dwarves and fairies .