Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missing the Classics

nmonegonmonego Member Posts: 1

Before I begin, let me give you a little history.  Not a real seasoned player of MMORPGs, but am well versed in console gaming.  Experience with multiple games on a host of Nintendo systems, a little XBox gaming, and first games I ever played were off of the ancient Commodore 64 and Atari consoles.  Currently I am also a 9-year veteran of World of Warcraft, and as of late, am extremely unhappy with the changes that have been applied to the game over the past couple of years' worth of patches.  After reading multiple forums on this, I know it's a known major issue with a lot of people.

What prompted me to finally make my feelings known about this, was an overwhelming sadness at losing 90% of the old Temple of Atal'Hakkar,  and learning that the old Karazahn was completely obliterated.  Also, many of the original dungeons have had their levels lowered, and it seems interesting to me that my groups never wipe anymore, no one seems to know what cc (crowd control) means, and that healers are now often blamed for wipes, instead of being guarded, and being hailed as one of the most protected group assets.  I think this is because Blizzard has removed most of the components where the strategy of building a good group would be needed, and with it, the thought that is needed to put together a good group has been thrown out the window.

Now I'm cool with the fact that Blizzard needs to make money, and it loses subscribers because a lot of people want get a lot of bling bling with little or no effort.  However, this drive-thru concept of catering to those who want to get to the end of the game on a lack of time and effort, has lead me to seek out a new MMORPG who plans to keep hard work and teamwork as core values.

So my question is, is there an MMORPG out there that is similar in concept to World of Warcraft, as it was back in the old days when Thrall was still on the throne, the Horde had some pride in themselves, and dungeons took some time to complete and required some thought and hard work?  If so, I would love to run from this smoldering heap of smoking soot that used to be referred to as old Azeroth.  My denial that this game has not truly gone downhill due to the above, has been realized, and sadly, I'm ready to move on.

-NM

Comments

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    A lot of people are in your boat.  A lot of us are looking for the next great thing.  I know ArcheAge, Wildstar and EQ:N what a lot of people are looking to for something good.  I crossing my fingers for EQ:N if its a bomb I might have to move on from MMo's.  I been about 6 months no real MMO play and happy.  But I miss a good MMO.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I miss the challenge of old MMO's. I have been looking for a MMO for a long time now that has the challenge of classic EQ and or even old Wow. I'm not talking only about dungeons here. I love to level characters and explore and immerse myself in the world. The catch is I love to feel fear while I adventure in the world and modern mmo's fail on this time and time again. The closest I have found is GW2 but its lacking in so many other areas for me. 

I have some hope for EQ Next even after what happen to SWG and I said I would never trust them again. I guess its been long enough for me now to forgive. :P  I'm also looking at The Repopulation and even Wildstar. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by PhoenixC13
    A lot of people are in your boat.  A lot of us are looking for the next great thing.  I know ArcheAge, Wildstar and EQ:N what a lot of people are looking to for something good.  I crossing my fingers for EQ:N if its a bomb I might have to move on from MMo's.  I been about 6 months no real MMO play and happy.  But I miss a good MMO.

My views entirely.  The current state of games is lamentable, with far too many companies producing "seen it all before" games.  No wonder that F2P seems to be the favourite business model, because no game in the last few years has been worth a subscription.

• DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78
    Go back and take a look at Vanguard. It may be a bit dated, but it has pretty much everything all of you just said you are looking for.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by PhoenixC13

6 months? Its been 8 years since I last played a good MMO.....