Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVE the best MMORPG you're paying not to play?

13»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i do com,mend the OP for spotting a really cheap game design,the game has been doing this for 10 years,i am just surprised more don't understand it.Anet does the same basic idea inside of GW2,there are a lot of devs using designs to cut costs.

One thing for sure is i would never use the term BEST with Eve,it lacks so many functions and visuals that a triple A game should have,it should not be released yet and this is 10 years later.There are better quality console games out there from 10 years ago,FFXI is one of them.IMO CCP is an amateur developer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Wololo

I underlined the part that you obviously missed. I say obviously because you didn't comprehend that he was insinuating that one plays for FUN and not for 'No reason'.

He was not trying to say that you actually go to school or a job for no reason, but just the opposite.

And as I stated what I did in EVE wasn't fun...not even remotely. Explain as a small example how you had fun mining asteroids? Or was I doing that wrong too (though how on earth you can do it wrong when you just have to set auto orbit, and click the button to mine is beyond me)?

Unlike school or work, there are no additional perks to playing EVE if you don't find the game fun. Point being, school and work can be fun but most certainly do have perks, with EVE there are no perks if you are not having fun.

And sorry but the whole "you are not playing the game right" crap is way too funny if not mostly intended as an insult. So when used I simple read "can't think of anything remotely close to a suitable rebuttal".

So if you are not having fun mining, try finding something else which actually is fun for you, there is a myriad things to do. Running missions and mining ore is only a miniscule part of possible EVE activities. I have never mined anything besides in tutorials and never missioned past the first few weeks and yet I am having fun all these years.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Krematory

Not knocking the game, think the design is great but my GOD! it is 99% boredom.

Only boring people are bored in EVE.

How is that spreadsheet doing you ya?

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Chram

I underlined the part that you obviously missed. I say obviously because you didn't comprehend that he was insinuating that one plays for FUN and not for 'No reason'.

He was not trying to say that you actually go to school or a job for no reason, but just the opposite.

And as I stated what I did in EVE wasn't fun...not even remotely. Explain as a small example how you had fun mining asteroids? Or was I doing that wrong too (though how on earth you can do it wrong when you just have to set auto orbit, and click the button to mine is beyond me)?

Unlike school or work, there are no additional perks to playing EVE if you don't find the game fun. Point being, school and work can be fun but most certainly do have perks, with EVE there are no perks if you are not having fun.

And sorry but the whole "you are not playing the game right" crap is way too funny if not mostly intended as an insult. So when used I simple read "can't think of anything remotely close to a suitable rebuttal".

So if you are not having fun mining, try finding something else which actually is fun for you, there is a myriad things to do. Running missions and mining ore is only a miniscule part of possible EVE activities. I have never mined anything besides in tutorials and never missioned past the first few weeks and yet I am having fun all these years.

Like what? ...not that I actually care, had the game for a month, got bored in a week and have tried to go back 4 times now with the same result...wish I was playing something more fun...so I do.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

People have fun in farmville!!!

You can be a succefull asteroid farmer :D

I'm a miner, i have fun mining, earning money and then doing exploration or sec missions... with no worries about the money i can lost. I have fun chatting while i mine... i also mine in WH with a friend defending me against rats or me defending and my friend mining. I have only 5M SP and i feel the danger when i go to dangerous places.

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by tarodin

People have fun in farmville!!!

You can be a succefull asteroid farmer :D

I'm a miner, i have fun mining, earning money and then doing exploration or sec missions... with no worries about the money i can lost. I have fun chatting while i mine... i also mine in WH with a friend defending me against rats or me defending and my friend mining. I have only 5M SP and i feel the danger when i go to dangerous places.

I had a buddy that did nothing but mine asteroids in high sec for years.  He loved every minute of it.  

as for the scale of battles?  No other game can rival it.  I remember fighting the Curse Alliance when the subscriber base had no more than 4k people on at a time... the first 100 battleship battle felt no less dire, dramatic or epic than any lagfest people have today.

I for one wouldn't mind the blobfest going away.  You're no less dead if you get podded in a small battle than if you get podded waiting for the system to load. 

The great thing about eve is if there is a lull in the fighting... there's a power vacuum.  Someone will fill it. 

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

I do agree that parts of the game are boring, but that's all optional stuff.

Some people may enjoy mining, i find sitting in one place while i look at a lazer hitting a rock to be the most godawful boring thing on earth.

And for people who like doing missions, i wish there was more variety. You will do the same missions over and over and over and over and over, with the only change being difficulty. But at least there are added responsibilities for missons, like when you get further in the game you realize you should probably be salvaging, so you skill up and get another ship, then people start trying to jack your salvege, so you might have to fight them, but they might be tricking you and be some super pimp guy who is just trying to get you to attack him so he can own you.

But there are things in the game that give you a joy you can't get in any other game. Like docking in low sec and having some pirates say "Give me X isk or we will kill you" and then calling your friends to kill them, you can't get stuff like that in another game.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Robokapp Originally posted by NeokiNaomi It's all about taste, I find myself resubbing here and then to give it a whirl (Played it on and off since Launch). I truly love the sandbox feel of it, however at my finances in game and my tastes, which lies within wormholes. They require you to make EVE your second job, and while I really loved it when I was out for a few months injured, now that I'm back to working 14 hours a day 6 days a week, I simply cannot handle the time requirement of what I enjoy doing in game. Granted I could become part of a large corp that does wormholes, but then again every corp has hidden requirements. I'm with you though, it's a great game, and it even yet has even greater potential still after all these years.
    workweek = 40 hours. 14 * 6 = 84.   you already have a second job, sir.
    Darn it Neoki, you make me want to play Anarchy Online. How dare you wear that avatar >:(

Robo,
    I'm a lineman, we work tons and tons of hours unfortunately, especially up here in the Northwest with constant outages :).

Mtibbs,
    I miss the hell out of AO, still my all time favorite MMO tied with Planetside.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Chram

Like what? ...not that I actually care, had the game for a month, got bored in a week and have tried to go back 4 times now with the same result...wish I was playing something more fun...so I do.

The reason you are getting bored may be that you are doing the same thing over and over again, each time being surprised that it is still boring. Just saying.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Pretty much. Still subscribed haven't played in months..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

Let me get this straight:

After 2 days of playing of a game you feel entitled to an oppinion about content, sandbox features and global difficulty when the best argument you can bring up is a flawed acknoledgement of one of the most basic features (autopilot)? And you actually managed to write out a full page with nothing but nonsense based on your own ideals of a game with obviously no clue about the game itself past the initial tutorials. ("there is nothing to do while skills finish training", "eve is easy because I can autopilot into some hisec zones" <- LOL). 

Yeah sorry that automatically discredits everything else you had to say. 

Perhaps if you played for more than 2 hours or actually bothered to do your homework before spewing out nonsense someone would take your oppinion seriously. sounds like most game reviews thesedays, sadly