Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVE the best MMORPG you're paying not to play?

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

I got EVE at launch, thought it would be the new Elite. I ran into the same problem as the OP. I played for a couple of days and then got to a stage where I would log in, queue up a skill to train, then log off and play another game till the training was finished.

Got to a point where I thought, why pay for EVE when I actually enjoy playing others games while waiting for a skill to level up. So cancelled my sub (well it actually took 9 months to stop them taking my money but that is another story) and concentrated on playing the games that I was enjoying in between skill up's in EVE.

Not knocking the game, think the design is great but my GOD! it is 99% boredom. And of course could never really associate with playing a ship.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

I got EVE at launch, thought it would be the new Elite. I ran into the same problem as the OP. I played for a couple of days and then got to a stage where I would log in, queue up a skill to train, then log off and play another game till the training was finished.

Got to a point where I thought, why pay for EVE when I actually enjoy playing others games while waiting for a skill to level up. So cancelled my sub (well it actually took 9 months to stop them taking my money but that is another story) and concentrated on playing the games that I was enjoying in between skill up's in EVE.

Not knocking the game, think the design is great but my GOD! it is 99% boredom. And of course could never really associate with playing a ship.

You play EVE the wrong way, if you ar eused to themeparks and think you can have it all in 2d time, you are wrong, if you play in EVE and expect to fly a titan in 2d and have 100b in the bank, you are wrong.

You complain about nothing to do ingame when skilling up? I have a toon with 180M skillpoints, and yes, I am training a skill right now, while playing the game. 2 days ago I made a new alt, started training, while doing this I started playing the game on that toon....

You newbs that are unfamiliar with this game only look at the skills you are lacking, not at the skills you already have and what you can do with it.

There are tons of stuff to do, if you want PVP and can't measure up to the players active with skills you are still training, make yourself useful in a different way.

There is ALWAYS need for skills which players can learn in 2-3d time. That's why so many fleet commanders have noob alts scouting, cynoing fleets around etc etc etc... Tons of things you can do with a 1-day old character, and they will LOVE you for it.

Same goes for PVE, you can't fly that pimp battleship your comrads are flying in a PVE mission? Help them out with repping them, salvage wrecks, fly smaller ships with DPS or tank for themetc etc etc... Same as before, tons of stuff to do.

But then again: if you are used to a game like World of Warcraft and have everything in reach within 2d, then you are in the wrong game; EVE requires thinking and some effort.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Muke

But then again: if you are used to a game like World of Warcraft and have everything in reach within 2d, then you are in the wrong game; EVE requires thinking and some effort.

New mmo games requieres less thinking... look at nwn... a path leads you...

I'm still noob at eve... i'm in a mining corporation but i dont do only mining... yes i have a mackinaw ( a good mining ship) that requieres some time in training, but i do WH too... i like to push the limit, to feel that i will die because skilled players are hunting me in cloack hahahah... but now i will learn skill to do some pvp alone, some ganking in WH to noncautius players heheheh i'm always doing something in PVE... i want to go to pvp but for the moment, my primary mission is end a IRL career... only 18 days left :D

You can do missions of different types and play market too... is hard to get bored... fitting a ship is always a challenge

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I find it funny how the people with 10B ISk and 150 million skill points talk about how we don't know how to play, and it's "not all about the skills"

Well, it very much can be. You do the right skills and you can almost triple your attack speed and damage. So yes, they do matter - that's with shy ship, and that's with skills alone. 

I know you can pay with ISK, but the investment in time to get that much is pretty high for a new player. IT will take months to raise capital like that and not grind the hell out of the game.

I absolutely laugh at these people saying we're to accustomed to games like WoW or Themeparks and can't use our brains, that the game requires deep thought. Such a high opinionated community. If there's one reason I may quit EVE, it is because of the community. So very elitist from what I've  seen. You offer your opinion on any feature and it's "Go back to WoW, noob", just like all those "hardcore" gamers in DFUW, or other such games.

I don't want everything in 2D. I just want to be able to you know...advance while in the game.

IF you think there skill system is ANYTHING other than a way to get people to pay sub fees and not play, you are fooling yourself.  It is specifically designed around that whole concept to trigger peoples OCD on clicking a button and seeing a bar go up.

EVE isn't hard. EVE doesn't require much thought. EVE is tedious though. I'm enjoying it, but as someone else mentioned, moving around is really annoying.

I want to go to some place? 18 Jumps to get there. So now I click "Autopilot" and go watch a movie - come back, valla, I am at my destination. That's a time waster and pretty simple. Didn't require much thought. Boring, infact. I'm not one for fast travel in alot of MMOS...but cmon...it's Space...it's warping...it's STARGATES. Seems dumb.

My issue with EVE is it takes a lot of time to do anything for no reason. IF they gave a logical reason why - I could accept that, but they don't. They just have it needlessly complex so that they can say their game is super complex and hardcore.

I don't like WoW, and I hate most Themeparks, I love Sandboxes. But dammit if EVE isn't a Sandbox without Sand almost.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

I find it funny how the people with 10B ISk and 150 million skill points talk about how we don't know how to play, and it's "not all about the skills"

I enjoy the game and i have 5M SP

Well, it very much can be. You do the right skills and you can almost triple your attack speed and damage. So yes, they do matter - that's with shy ship, and that's with skills alone. 

You need to now where you can move with your skills and ship... maybe you will learn in combat... i prefer ask and get advice

I know you can pay with ISK, but the investment in time to get that much is pretty high for a new player. IT will take months to raise capital like that and not grind the hell out of the game.

Earning ISK is an art... you can earn having fun and not grinding... you have to find your way

I absolutely laugh at these people saying we're to accustomed to games like WoW or Themeparks and can't use our brains, that the game requires deep thought. Such a high opinionated community. If there's one reason I may quit EVE, it is because of the community. So very elitist from what I've  seen. You offer your opinion on any feature and it's "Go back to WoW, noob", just like all those "hardcore" gamers in DFUW, or other such games.

if lot of people say to you: go to wow, better do it

I don't want everything in 2D. I just want to be able to you know...advance while in the game.

IF you think there skill system is ANYTHING other than a way to get people to pay sub fees and not play, you are fooling yourself.  It is specifically designed around that whole concept to trigger peoples OCD on clicking a button and seeing a bar go up.

EVE isn't hard. EVE doesn't require much thought. EVE is tedious though. I'm enjoying it, but as someone else mentioned, moving around is really annoying.

I want to go to some place? 18 Jumps to get there. So now I click "Autopilot" and go watch a movie - come back, valla, I am at my destination. That's a time waster and pretty simple. Didn't require much thought. Boring, infact. I'm not one for fast travel in alot of MMOS...but cmon...it's Space...it's warping...it's STARGATES. Seems dumb.

You are planning your way very badly

My issue with EVE is it takes a lot of time to do anything for no reason. IF they gave a logical reason why - I could accept that, but they don't. They just have it needlessly complex so that they can say their game is super complex and hardcore.

Go wow or nwn... noncomplex games

I don't like WoW, and I hate most Themeparks, I love Sandboxes. But dammit if EVE isn't a Sandbox without Sand almost.

You play EVE the wrong way, if you ar eused to themeparks and think you can have it all in 2d time, you are wrong, if you play in EVE and expect to fly a titan in 2d and have 100b in the bank, you are wrong.

You complain about nothing to do ingame when skilling up? I have a toon with 180M skillpoints, and yes, I am training a skill right now, while playing the game. 2 days ago I made a new alt, started training, while doing this I started playing the game on that toon....

You newbs that are unfamiliar with this game only look at the skills you are lacking, not at the skills you already have and what you can do with it.

There are tons of stuff to do, if you want PVP and can't measure up to the players active with skills you are still training, make yourself useful in a different way.

There is ALWAYS need for skills which players can learn in 2-3d time. That's why so many fleet commanders have noob alts scouting, cynoing fleets around etc etc etc... Tons of things you can do with a 1-day old character, and they will LOVE you for it.

Same goes for PVE, you can't fly that pimp battleship your comrads are flying in a PVE mission? Help them out with repping them, salvage wrecks, fly smaller ships with DPS or tank for themetc etc etc... Same as before, tons of stuff to do.

lol TOO defensive me thinks.

And yeah sure, I was playing the wrong way....my way. It just wasn't enjoyable enough. Great game, just boring for me.

As for the whole noob comment...I bought the game at launch so hardly a noob without friends at the time.

Just my opinion but I think you are way too involved in the game if you get so defensive.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

I have an Eve Story!

I remember trying to play a long time ago, no understand what was going on, and then quiting.

This was when i still played wow and was really into raiding, so i would comeback every so often between content updates, not understand it, and quit again.

When i finaly quit wow, i put a lot more time into eve, joined a decent sized corp, and worked my way up to a new ship, a Raven or something, and the first time i took it out, i went to a low sec zone on accident and my shop went boom. HOWEVER, the guy who blew it up messaged me and basicly said "Hey, shouldn't go to low alone bro, here's something to help you out."

And he gave me enough money to replace the ship, which seemed like a lot at the time(i would come to find out it wasn't shit, but for a newer player it was a lot).

So that was nice, i still ended up getting bored at the game because your enjoyment of it is almost entirely dependent on who you are playing with and whats going on in the universe.

Just noticed your edit...Also bought WOW at launch, quit after hitting 60. Not my game either.

Stop trying to get all personal, being rude and trying to pinhole my dislike of playing the game (not a dislike for the game design though) on my lack of cerebral quality or effort level.

I just found the game boring.

Originally posted by Mkilbride

It's not, I can kill veterans in their pimped battleships with just a interceptor or cheap bomber on a alt character which has like 3-8M SP.

If you run in headfirst going 'banzaaaaaaaaaai , yes, you will get served, there again, EVE requires thinking.

And yes, I am one of the high SP players, seen it all, done it all, and I am terribly annoyed by the elitist attitude of our alliance leaders or players I have been flying with for 10y. If I can help our newbs in the renter alliances and they are trustworthy, I do that.

more skills help ofc, BUT you can only use some of those skills applying to your ship and your fittings. And it doesn't mean that the guy with all lvl 5 will whipe the all lvl 3-4 pilot.

Just recently I killed a vindicator on my neutral newb alt in a bomber, I have all lvl 3-4 trained (and that goes fast), I was circling him too fast and too close so he could not hit me with his uber guns. killed him, 800M loot in the wreck, tuvm. So yes, more skills do help, but they are only useful if the player actually knows how to use them.

Again, knowledge > skills.

Wrong, it takes knowledge. just basic trading knowledge (and I don't mean the trading skills) can earn you loads of ISK already on a trial. Start small, expand, and grow/

You don't always have to invest billions just to make a start.

Not saying that, but most players DO come from a WOW background, and since that is not really difficult to play they are usually in for a shock when entering EVE, trying and not succeeding in it they often call the game 'boring' and head back to that former game which requires less thinking.

You are being lazy here, you can warp manually and do the trip 80% faster, you choose for the lazyman Autopilot, which adds time to the journey. Also, you can choose the shorter route, but that would maybe let you go through low security which requires you to think about dodging pirate camps....again, autopilot is for the lazy player.

Play the game 'for no reason'?

Why do you go to school or go to a job? That's also for 'no reason'.

If you don't do what's fun in EVE, then you are not playing right.  If you are not willing to put effort into getting what you want, this game is not for you.

If you are too lazy to actually earn money ingame to fund other projects, then you can always go buy money through game time codes. Guy from work started EVE, doing missions, I gave him some tips how to make money, he had 500M after 1w (more then I had after starting the game back then).

He earned much more the next week, and now he's that far that he has enough money to do what he wants without doing stuff that 'is boring'.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

LOL how funny. Most people go to school to get an education and work for money to pay the bills and buy nice things...you need to stop playing EVE and live a little as you obviously have no idea what the real world is for...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

To OP, I am sorry but EVE is not game for you !

(Imagine making 40+ jumps for some cosmos agent ,,taxi,, mission & forget pick up passenger ,spend 250 mil isk for crap contract with fake  titlle, etc...)

Just noticed your edit...Also bought WOW at launch, quit after hitting 60. Not my game either.

Stop trying to get all personal, being rude and trying to pinhole my dislike of playing the game (not a dislike for the game design though) on my lack of cerebral quality or effort level.

I just found the game boring.

LOL how funny. Most people go to school to get an education and work for money to pay the bills and buy nice things...you need to stop playing EVE and live a little as you obviously have no idea what the real world is for...

Wife, 3 kids and a successful business tuvm, something different then mom's basement, eh?
    EVE is a sandbox, and you have to BUILD your future, friendships, wealth, empires and what else. With that comment you were going emo on , hence my comment about ppl wanting everything handed to them on day 1 like in some other MMOs. And to get what you want you have to WORK for it, and THINK how you are going to get it. We all know EVE is a game, and no, I am not involved too much in it, but if you don't want a game where you have to build, then MMOs are not for you. Not this one that is.

I am not rude, actually I have formulated it very nicely.

If you are already upset with the word ' newbs' , then that's sad.

But I pointed out that you only look at the skills you don't have, what you cannot do currently and you go offline when training the skills. Yes, then you did probably play the game, offline, and that's no fun.

And your 'complaints' are almost the same as the players who start EVE without any knowledge, are not willing to learn the game, think they are entitled to being handed everything just like that without any effort and yes, I often use the link to WOW as most players use just that as a benchmarks as often that is the game they come from.

And no, I am not defensive, I have many complaints about EVE myself so it's not heaven for me, the game has it's flaws, big one at that.

Like I said, EVE requires thinking, players who say the game is boring are usually using that to hide behind the fact that the game is more difficult then they anticipated.

If this doesn't imply to you then you're the outsider. :)

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I would be happy to create a day one char and show you what you could do in that char, I won't even finance it with my main, a day one new player can easily get into RVB and have fun.

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    It does make it good for the working class.. Training while at work is pretty sweet :)
    Originally posted by calranthe

I would be happy to create a day one char and show you what you could do in that char, I won't even finance it with my main, a day one new player can easily get into RVB and have fun.

Think I am dealing with a Goon here (hail MOLLE), but damn, he is right.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

EVE is one of those MMOs that is best played with multiple accounts. Sure you can tell me that it's not necessary, and you may be correct, but when I look at a player base and I see almost without exception that all the serious Vets have multiple accounts, then there is an obvious advantage to it.

It's the main reason I quit Anarchy Online after years of 3 accounts. I'm done playing (paying) like that. I'll pay a monthly fee, but I'm not paying more. And I am aware of FLEX, and maybe if I had more in game currency than I could ever spend, it would be different, but that's not the case for newbies.

If the best advantages of a game are not available on one character, then I'm probably not playing.

Not too difficult or takes too long...just I personally found it boring. I am not all that into PvP and to be honest the PvE was basically click a mining node and listen to the music...repeatedly...for hours. Again, a personal opinion but just boring.

And I never got into the whole 2nd job way of playing (my friend who started after me didn't have a job for 4 years after getting his PHD because he was so engrossed in EVE. He basically ignored his wife and child too...we are no longer friends...). I love spreadsheets, am a bit of a wiz with them, and could handle what the game had to offer...but as I said, it was boring for me.

When you spend roughly 5% of your gaming time playing a game and the rest playing something else to have fun then it is easy to see what you enjoy. No it wasn't too difficult, too complex, too hard to understand. Just boring.

But as I said, the design of the game, the economy, the graphics, the single shard, the complexity of skills...I loved it all. It just wasn't exciting enough to keep my attention.

I am looking forward to WOD though because I hope their design philosophy coupled with the WOD theme could really hit it big for me.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

EVE is one of those MMOs that is best played with multiple accounts. Sure you can tell me that it's not necessary, and you may be correct, but when I look at a player base and I see almost without exception that all the serious Vets have multiple accounts, then there is an obvious advantage to it.

It's the main reason I quit Anarchy Online after years of 3 accounts. I'm done playing (paying) like that. I'll pay a monthly fee, but I'm not paying more. And I am aware of FLEX, and maybe if I had more in game currency than I could ever spend, it would be different, but that's not the case for newbies.

If the best advantages of a game are not available on one character, then I'm probably not playing.

Alt accounts are always better, the more the better, if only to scout your main ahead in his expensive ship.

If you use capitals outside corporations/alliances then you HAVE to have one at least. Still, EVE is perfectly playable with only 1 account.

But if you do missions, trade up, you can earn money fast.

For example a Factional Warfare strategy:

Get a bomber (preferably purifier) with decent torp skills (all level 4 is fine). Join a FW corp so u don't have to grind the standings. Get Security Connection skill to at least level 4 to get more LPs.
    Bombers can't do all missions. skip all missions that are not kill 1 bs / struct shoots / kill some industrials (try to avoid industrials). Having decent Social / Diplomacy skills helps you decline more missions. decline up to 5 missions per agent. dont waste time on sh*tty missions.

Use the agent finder to list all the missions u can take. Only pickup missions from lowsec. to easily pickup a bunch of missions (usually do 6-8 at a time), add all the waypoints from all the agent locations from the agent finder then click on "optimize route" at the bottom of the new autopilot interface. then do the same for all destinations once you've picked up all the missions. You can turn all the missions in from any stations.

When you activate the mission cancel warp and warp to it @20 or 30 cloaked. wait to see if any1 tries to warp in to catch you. after 30s-1min if dscan is clear go in. re-cloak once you're out of warp and away from the beacon (otherwise beacon might decloak you). Get in range. Blap. Spam short dscans so you align if enemies come. If some1 warps in on you (make sure you stay away from the beacon) warp off, cloak, wait for him to leave.

You make about 50-80m per mission (depending on tier).

This is pasted for the one guy thinking I am too much into this game. :)

This is just one tip and way....has some (pvp) risk but still....

You don't have to be uber skilled for all this, the ISK is right there for the taking, it just requires some reading up and thinking.

And then there's tons of ways to earn money, hauling, building, mining, missioning, wormholes, pvp, researching blueprints, scamming, stealing....damn too much to name.

There are tons of ways to earn money, and this money can be used in maybe other projects to earn: even more money.

And soon you should be able to pay for at least a plex/month, therefore playing for free.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Sure there's some action here and there. However, it's nothing remotely close to as active in terms of war as it use to be.

Wars are a limited part of what EVE has to offer. Do something else:

Live the pirate life.

Live the wormhole life.

Be Ninja 0.0 site runner.

Use your imagination and do something completely else.

Dont just been another WarGoon, there is a whole world out there...

• WololoWololo Member Posts: 72

If you don't do what's fun in EVE, then you are not playing right.  If you are not willing to put effort into getting what you want, this game is not for you.

If you are too lazy to actually earn money ingame to fund other projects, then you can always go buy money through game time codes. Guy from work started EVE, doing missions, I gave him some tips how to make money, he had 500M after 1w (more then I had after starting the game back then).

He earned much more the next week, and now he's that far that he has enough money to do what he wants without doing stuff that 'is boring'.

I underlined the part that you obviously missed. I say obviously because you didn't comprehend that he was insinuating that one plays for FUN and not for 'No reason'.

He was not trying to say that you actually go to school or a job for no reason, but just the opposite.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Robokapp

scamming creates conflict. which creates player-run events. aka war.

it's...part of freedom to do what you want. you dont need freedom to do what everyone else wants you to do.

I may have bought 100 mil worth of ammo because I didnt count the zeroes this friday. :(

LOL, reminded me of the time I was very tired late one evening, and pulling datacores out in the middle of nowhere and needed a Badger 2 (900K ISK ship on a bad day) and I saw a deal for 675 thousand ISK..... and snapped it right up...not counting the zeros of course and ended up paying 675 MILLION ISK for it. 

That person still plays EVE almost 4 years later, and is in the same corp. One day I fully intend to return to EVE (again) and pay Mercs for wardecs against him and his corp until they bleed to death.  :)

I so love EVE, best game I've ever played, and once I get some more free time I'll be back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

LOL, reminded me of the time I was very tired late one evening, and pulling datacores out in the middle of nowhere and needed a Badger 2 (900K ISK ship on a bad day) and I saw a deal for 675 thousand ISK..... and snapped it right up...not counting the zeros of course and ended up paying 675 MILLION ISK for it. 

That person still plays EVE almost 4 years later, and is in the same corp. One day I fully intend to return to EVE (again) and pay Mercs for wardecs against him and his corp until they bleed to death.  :)

I so love EVE, best game I've ever played, and once I get some more free time I'll be back.

Some guy will blast me for being too much into EVE, but I'll say it:

If you play EVE like you live RL, you -mostly- can't go wrong.

(with that I mean: reading before signing contracts, if you do stuff that's wrong you might end up paying for it, others will do stuff to get yours etc)

Fun that you remember that guy after 4y, maybe time to get him back? :)

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by calranthe

Think I am dealing with a Goon here (hail MOLLE), but damn, he is right.

Yes but don't believe all the press from someone who has been on both sides of the fence, new people in to eve who are willing to put effort in bring only good things.

Problem is the self entitled wowesque players who want eve to change to fit a different games comfort zone.

Originally posted by Wololo

I underlined the part that you obviously missed. I say obviously because you didn't comprehend that he was insinuating that one plays for FUN and not for 'No reason'.

He was not trying to say that you actually go to school or a job for no reason, but just the opposite.

And as I stated what I did in EVE wasn't fun...not even remotely. Explain as a small example how you had fun mining asteroids? Or was I doing that wrong too (though how on earth you can do it wrong when you just have to set auto orbit, and click the button to mine is beyond me)?

Unlike school or work, there are no additional perks to playing EVE if you don't find the game fun. Point being, school and work can be fun but most certainly do have perks, with EVE there are no perks if you are not having fun.

And sorry but the whole "you are not playing the game right" crap is way too funny if not mostly intended as an insult. So when used I simple read "can't think of anything remotely close to a suitable rebuttal".

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Not knocking the game, think the design is great but my GOD! it is 99% boredom.

Only boring people are bored in EVE.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran