Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EVE the best MMORPG you're paying not to play?

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

I'm rather enjoying it, going into my second day now. I've been doing missions in order, the first station with 10 of each type,  planning to do all them. Someone also donated 300M ISK to me outta the blue, so that helped me alot.  I find myself playing it for hours.

Until I'm not. It's only my second day, but I already got skills that take 14 hours to train. Said skills are at a BOOSTED rate of 2, or even 3 TIMES, because of my Starter Pack.  So I get to a point I want to do a mission - but I can't, because I don't have this skill. For that skills, I need another skill - then another to get that one. So I have to train 3 skills in real time, to get the one skill I want to play. So I setup my Qeune and then there is really nothing to do til it completes.

Really liking it, but I see the brilliance of CCP here. Pay 14.99$ a month to play, to host our characters, ect, server up keeps. Create a system that basically makes it so you've no reason to log on for a lot of time, thus reducing the stress on their servers. Basically, you're paying them 15$ a month to host your character, when you won't log in most of that time. :P

There is an irony that, trial accounts are never deleted, so characters from 7 years ago are still being "hosted" in a sense. So that is a waste of server space, but they can manage to host them for free.

I just thought how brilliant it is. Charge users for hosting their character - then make a system that makes it so you'll not spend a lot of time in-game, thus they don't really have to host your character in-game. They get your money, no real increased server load, and you get to pay to wait to play. :P

Smart business plan!

*Just a word: This is not a rant / negative / EVE sucks thread, I am really enjoying it.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    There's actually quite a bit to do when your training skills, it all depends on who your character is though.  As a faction warfare member PvP/plexing/exploration sites/missions are plenty and there's even more I could do had I obtained more real life time to play.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    While I know EVE Online is great there's just not a lot you can do within the game. You essentially have to wait for player made events to happen to enjoy some large scale combat. Otherwise you'll spend the vast majority of your time mining, doing missions, or trading. Which in the end is less to do than other MMO's.

Semi-agreed. I like it, but there really isn't as much to do as some claim. I am OK with that. I kinda like it, it's very relaxing and isn't stressful.

I do miss the sense of immersion though. Completely missing, and I can't understand why, everything else feels so... "right", but it lacks that immersion factor.

It's a Sandbox, but with only a few grains of sand. Still, it was 5$, I am enjoying it.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Robokapp
     You know Robo, there's more to a game than just squatting at max level.

I don't know what you mean but I agree.

Usually getting to max level means the end of your adventure. So you'll most likely end up just sitting there doing nothing at that point. MMO's are about the journey to max level (at least they use to be). Now many people believe the only part of the games that's worth any at all is the end game. So developers just stream-line the process to get people to the end. Which in the end just hurts the game overall.

You and me agree on so much.

It's why one of the reasons RuneScape & FFXI are my favorite MMOs. RuneScape because there is never a sense of "maxing" or "end-game", and FFXI because the journey to such things is long and rough, and requires player to player interaction.

Games are better for it. I might play EVE past my first month, we'll see. It's just not engaging or intuitive.  The numbers are going up, and it's really popular - but hey, so was WoW. :p

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Even is too hardcore for me. It requires far too much time and dedication to achieve anything.

I stick to DOTA 2 and Civ V these days, until I find an MMORPG that I like.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

It's all about taste, I find myself resubbing here and then to give it a whirl (Played it on and off since Launch). I truly love the sandbox feel of it, however at my finances in game and my tastes, which lies within wormholes. They require you to make EVE your second job, and while I really loved it when I was out for a few months injured, now that I'm back to working 14 hours a day 6 days a week, I simply cannot handle the time requirement of what I enjoy doing in game. Granted I could become part of a large corp that does wormholes, but then again every corp has hidden requirements. I'm with you though, it's a great game, and it even yet has even greater potential still after all these years.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

An example of things you can do in Eve.

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I brought six of my friends in to eve a year ago and the hardest thing to teach them was how much they could do with minimal skills, bigger ships are not better and this is not like any other mmo.

Frigates are still amazingly useful at "end game", a basic T1 fit slasher, merlin or rifter will do you well for most of the early tutorials and space, after that find out what you want to do, do not try to train everything.

boost up your support and fitting skills, it may even be a good idea to just explore in the new player ship its free, read up on skill packs.

If you want combat join RVB a really good hisec combat corp who will teach you everything about small group combat, cheap modules etc.

Eve is unlike most mmo out there end game can start 5 minutes in or 8 years.

IF you want mining or pve lots of corps will help you out just read the forums.

Realize though you are playing a game that will probably still be around in ten years and if you find the right group or people or profession that you really end up loving then  you may still be playing it then.

I have played since beta and have done a lot but still learning, still having fun, pvp is my thing.

Even though I have 100+ million skill points, carriers dreads I can still jump into a t1 rifter for fun.

A well piloted t1 frig can absolutely ruin a battleship pilots day, your 1-5 million ship can cause heart ache and pain to a 10 billion ship.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

This post is going to sound slightly skewed but bare with me, I enjoy this game for the patience it commands when it comes to learning and waiting.  Admittedly I just got back into the game myself and tomorrow I will subscribe for a month to get the starter packs (the starter packs are free through the CCP store when you sub).

At this point in my life, EVE is one of the only games that I feel able to spend time with family, go watch a movie, do some sport and read a book (essentially being a member of irl).  At the moment I am experiencing slight cash flow isk problems in EVE, trying to upgrade to my next ship.  When I want to play a game though EVE is there, I can pick it up, talk to some people in various channels and run some missions.  The long term skill system is one of the things that keeps me playing, aka I want to fly my battleship properly.

From a character standpoint EVE is unique, in games like wow you cannot be every class in the game.  You have the potential to do so in EVE aim for a role, fly it love it get good at it and move onto the next one you fancy. I will be sticking to high sec for a long time and may join a merc corp in the very distant future to have variety of where I go and what I do and who I meet.  I do not think 0.0 sitting waiting for my alliance to do something is for me, regardless of the game when I log in, I want to do something useful not spin my ship in the docking bay.

The only mmorpg I played recently is GW2 but I think I am tired of the fantasy genre but will possibly try ffx arr down the road.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

If you cant find anything to do in early in game it must be cause your head set on flying battleship from the very beginning, or other things that requires much training. If you want you can either start missions or mining right from the bat, the tutorial gives you everything you need. Maybe you just skipped the tutorial...

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368
    EVE is a social experience. You get most out of the game, if you join a corp.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Usually getting to max level means the end of your adventure. So you'll most likely end up just sitting there doing nothing at that point. MMO's are about the journey to max level (at least they use to be). Now many people believe the only part of the games that's worth any at all is the end game. So developers just stream-line the process to get people to the end. Which in the end just hurts the game overall.

I wholeheartedly agree. However, none of that applies to EVE.

There is no "end game", "max level" in EVE. Day one rookie can jump into 0.0 and be very successful and useful. He can actually do most in things in EVE very fast, if he is smart enough. People change playstyles all the time, everywhere. 

The game is currently at it's record subscriber and activity numbers. The resources in 0.0 have just now been reshuffled and all the major powers are going to war, this will be one bloody summer. Wormholers are killing each other with their ever more expensive fleets. Lowsec sees an amount of ship explosions it hasn't seen in ages. Militias are murdering each other in faction warfare space. Jita is overflowing with people. The industry guys are rubbing hands and making a profit, as always.

I don't know how you came to the "I believe EVE is coming to an end" statement, but you may want to reconsider.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by Chram

There is no "end game", "max level" in EVE. Day one rookie can jump into 0.0 and be very successful and useful. He can actually do most in things in EVE very fast, if he is smart enough. People change playstyles all the time, everywhere. 

The game is currently at it's record subscriber and activity numbers. The resources in 0.0 have just now been reshuffled and all the major powers are going to war, this will be one bloody summer. Wormholers are killing each other with their ever more expensive fleets. Lowsec sees an amount of ship explosions it hasn't seen in ages. Militias are murdering each other in faction warfare space. Jita is overflowing with people. The industry guys are rubbing hands and making a profit, as always.

I don't know how you came to the "I believe EVE is coming to an end" statement, but you may want to reconsider.

I agree with this post.  CCP is one of the only companies who show actual numbers when you log in and show tracked data. EVE is significantly increasing its player numbers, this cannot be disputed successfully.

Originally posted by Wicoa
    Originally posted by Chram

I agree with this post.  CCP is one of the only companies who show actual numbers when you log in and show tracked data. EVE is significantly increasing its player numbers, this cannot be disputed successfully.

EVE will never fit all mmo players but thank you ccp for not bending to the wow crowd the theme park crowd and self entitled  end game crowd.

Playing eve as your first mmo is far easier than if you have played other mmo games, while now the new player experience is far better than it ever was before it is still a game that challenges you from day one and you know speaking as someone who entered eve in beta this game is the only one who 10 years on still challenges me.

See you all on the other side of the next gate camp :)

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    They killed zero sec space for me the moment they got rid of multiple jump gates.  As a person with only a few hours a week to play, they made my travel time go from minutes to hours.  Needless to say I haven't played since, nor do I plan to.  This game is made for the hardcore player with little else to do.  And that's cool, we need games like this for those folks, but if you're expecting EVE to ever change for the casual player, move on and find something else.

Originally posted by Binny45
    They killed zero sec space for me the moment they got rid of multiple jump gates.  As a person with only a few hours a week to play, they made my travel time go from minutes to hours.  Needless to say I haven't played since, nor do I plan to.  This game is made for the hardcore player with little else to do.  And that's cool, we need games like this for those folks, but if you're expecting EVE to ever change for the casual player, move on and find something else.

Actually if you have a good alliance logistic team the one jump gate per system did not increase travel time that much, maybe 20 mins max increase on the old routes, most gate systems just needed refining to put you in places where travel options were covered.

Yes I do still travel 20 jump sometimes to get some fun.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Eve sounds great but i just have no interest in playing as a spaceship.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

I'm rather enjoying it, going into my second day now. I've been doing missions in order, the first station with 10 of each type,  planning to do all them. Someone also donated 300M ISK to me outta the blue, so that helped me alot.  I find myself playing it for hours.

Until I'm not. It's only my second day, but I already got skills that take 14 hours to train. Said skills are at a BOOSTED rate of 2, or even 3 TIMES, because of my Starter Pack.  So I get to a point I want to do a mission - but I can't, because I don't have this skill. For that skills, I need another skill - then another to get that one. So I have to train 3 skills in real time, to get the one skill I want to play. So I setup my Qeune and then there is really nothing to do til it completes.

Really liking it, but I see the brilliance of CCP here. Pay 14.99$ a month to play, to host our characters, ect, server up keeps. Create a system that basically makes it so you've no reason to log on for a lot of time, thus reducing the stress on their servers. Basically, you're paying them 15$ a month to host your character, when you won't log in most of that time. :P

There is an irony that, trial accounts are never deleted, so characters from 7 years ago are still being "hosted" in a sense. So that is a waste of server space, but they can manage to host them for free.

I just thought how brilliant it is. Charge users for hosting their character - then make a system that makes it so you'll not spend a lot of time in-game, thus they don't really have to host your character in-game. They get your money, no real increased server load, and you get to pay to wait to play. :P

Smart business plan!

*Just a word: This is not a rant / negative / EVE sucks thread, I am really enjoying it.

It is very clear you do not know much of EVE Online.

I let you figure out something else:

in EVE you can play the game fully without paying for the game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"