Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If given $100 million,you think you could produce a AAA mmo?

Comments

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by actionreaction
    Originally posted by grndzro

Easily. First thing I would do is model it after FFXI. Then I would pick the brains of current and past players for input and proposed improvements. Then Poll to find good/acceptable changes Rinse/repeat till game concept is complete and well liked by FFXI audience. 

Group based gameplay. Extreme character customization. Guild Halls. $hi7 lists. Tabbed targeting. Chained skills(IE boiling oil>meteor=burning death)

Race>Discipline>Class>Specialization

All/Most skills will be capable of chaining (IE Web>Physical blow = Critical knockdown +Panic)but the best combinations will be cross Discipline/Class requiring multiple people. Imagine FFXI skillchains meets GW1 PVP. There will be counters to condition effects to avoid being chained

No shoehorning the skills. Players will have a lot of options to pick from.

The holy trinity will be absolutely necessary to advance. There is a vast difference in the damage/survivability of tanks and DPS. And Enemies hit very hard 

Less emphasis on HD graphics. The game will have high polygon but lower resolution resulting in a smoother but grainier feel to the world. Think hand drawn anime vs cell. It just looks better.

Open world, Open dungeons, vast landscapes, and an epic storyline.

No programming till the planning phase is complete.

Cross platform, All platforms in the same world. swapping skillbars with a controller will be easy. And there will be macros.

Game design will have Esports in mind with huge battlefields, and a complex skill system that rewards cooperation.

Hire MMO vets to help create appealing content.

No money. Gear is either found/crafted/or rewarded. This plays to the need to have and be a part of a great community

If I had a 100mil I'd give it to you sir.

I petition for you to get 100 million good sir. You have a great vision.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I think I could pick a team that could produce a AAA MMO. My part would be the money and an idea and that would be it though.

That's what producers do mostly, have an idea and the money.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by denshing
    Originally posted by actionreaction

Easily. First thing I would do is model it after FFXI. Then I would pick the brains of current and past players for input and proposed improvements. Then Poll to find good/acceptable changes Rinse/repeat till game concept is complete and well liked by FFXI audience. 

Group based gameplay. Extreme character customization. Guild Halls. $hi7 lists. Tabbed targeting. Chained skills(IE boiling oil>meteor=burning death)

Race>Discipline>Class>Specialization

All/Most skills will be capable of chaining (IE Web>Physical blow = Critical knockdown +Panic)but the best combinations will be cross Discipline/Class requiring multiple people. Imagine FFXI skillchains meets GW1 PVP. There will be counters to condition effects to avoid being chained

No shoehorning the skills. Players will have a lot of options to pick from.

The holy trinity will be absolutely necessary to advance. There is a vast difference in the damage/survivability of tanks and DPS. And Enemies hit very hard 

Less emphasis on HD graphics. The game will have high polygon but lower resolution resulting in a smoother but grainier feel to the world. Think hand drawn anime vs cell. It just looks better.

Open world, Open dungeons, vast landscapes, and an epic storyline.

No programming till the planning phase is complete.

Cross platform, All platforms in the same world. swapping skillbars with a controller will be easy. And there will be macros.

Game design will have Esports in mind with huge battlefields, and a complex skill system that rewards cooperation.

Hire MMO vets to help create appealing content.

No money. Gear is either found/crafted/or rewarded. This plays to the need to have and be a part of a great community

If I had a 100mil I'd give it to you sir.

I petition for you to get 100 million good sir. You have a great vision.

I wouldn't give that guy a dime.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    No, for one i have barely any experiece making a game and just because somthing looks good on paper it's the execution that counts.
  • ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    No. I'd be on a plane to somewhere with no extradition though.

Sounds good to me.image

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

10 million on the game

90 million on advertising

but if i was being serious.

yes.

I could surpass AAA standards with 100million.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by aleos

10 million on the game

yes.

Myself,I would put about 65-70 mill into the game and the rest would be advertizing.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull! Arya Stark

OMG I loved that part. best line in the episode.

10 million on the game

yes.

Myself,I would put about 65-70 mill into the game and the rest would be advertizing.

I was just getting at that you could make a crappy game and advertise the hell out of it and people would still buy it.. 

but as a MMORPG player if i had a chance to take 100million to make a game i wouldnt spend any money what so ever on advertising lmfao. It would all go to the game.

with the 21'st century's twitter, facebook, youtube, etc.. Word of mouth would sell a game faster than any ad could.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull! Arya Stark

OMG I loved that part. best line in the episode.

Mine also.Arya is so cool.I love her.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Everything below - Is what I would do with 1M out of 100M~ Story/Features Wise- Maybe only 100k out of 1M realistically~ Ha xD

Setting: Inside a office; on the 23rd floor
    Time: 2:27 P.M
    Outbreak Dated: 2:31 P.M April 27th 2014

Story:
    In office; on a Monday afternoon; In the city of [Imagination] etc.

Main Character;
    His name is John;
    Approx 2:29 P.M: HD-TV Monitor; breaking news; flashes on the screen.

Imagine; the zombie outbreak JUST happening right outside your building; and on the TV is a news reporter; and she gets mauled by two zombies, screaming. Everyone around you is frightened; about what just happened outside: the very building you are in, your skin crawling; the feeling of FEAR.

John is worried about his wife; and decides to call her, and leaves a message. Meanwhile a couple of colleagues around you, decide its best to take the elevator down to the first floor. However you decide; It's best to take the stairscase; as you slip into the staircase; and start walking down. You hear screams from your collegues, as you realize, whatever attacked the news reporter below; or someone as crazed, walked into the elevator. John continues down the long and neverending staircase.

JOHNS MISSION
    John must; leave the city, and go to his house. to find his wife!

Alright; I had some fun writing that above; I absolutely LOVE zombies; my favorite. Sadly, I was unable to write down far enough, to truly describe what type of zombie game; id like to be able to play.

Basically; I would want to see a zombie game; were you run away from the zombies! [Unarmed] A game that is not about kicking ass; shooting; guns blazing; tearing zombies guts out. [As fun as it is; I do love the zombies guts flying]

Realistically; I would want to experience; the happening of the zombie outbreak, the first ten-minutes and onwards; id want to be a frightened civilian; who runs away from the undead. Trying to survive; and Not get bitten!

Barricading; Running your ass off; and my all time favorite SURVIVING throughout the undead ruling.

Overused Ideas/Thought Of Before Yet Never Really Used To Full Potential!

Survival: You know the usual.....food....water....barricading...emotional support...moving from place to place with other humans.~ Grouping together with other players.

Factions: Human/Undead Faction - Not only are you versus your own, but the UNDEAD Human Players as well

Zombie Command: Ever thought of being in control of a zombie before? perhaps hoards of zombies? - A opposite faction would be a requirement to keep Player Vs Player desires at bay. Not only would you control other zombies, but your zombie self as well. The goal is to kill all living human players, and bring them into your ranks! ;D Basically if you play the human side, that would mean close to perma death. As your character would not exist after getting infected and dying out.

-
    That is all; I have to truly offer; > It's up to you; to make the dream happen. FLESH EATING ZOMBIES; RUN!!!!!!

My favorite zombie game of all-time, where my simplistic yet bright ideas came from; would be a simple yet amazing flash game.
    [REBUILD]

10 million on the game

yes.

I was just getting at that you could make a crappy game and advertise the hell out of it and people would still buy it.. 

but as a MMORPG player if i had a chance to take 100million to make a game i wouldnt spend any money what so ever on advertising lmfao. It would all go to the game.

with the 21'st century's twitter, facebook, youtube, etc.. Word of mouth would sell a game faster than any ad could.

Please,don't take it like i was mocking you.I was agreeing with you for the most part.You are correct in my belief.With a big budget going to advertising,you can make a game be at the very least semi successful!

Arya Stark

10 million on the game

yes.

Please,don't take it like i was mocking you.I was agreeing with you for the most part.You are correct in my belief.With a big budget going to advertising,you can make a game be at the very least semi successful!

i didnt take it that way, no worries lol.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Without giving too much away...

I would make a game that, at launch, is for raiders only. As raiders 'tame the landscape' the game becomes more accessible. So the raiders, right from the start, have a real effect on the environment. An important part of taming the landscape is the building of player-made cities with player-hired/placed guards and patrols.

Once in a while, NPC invasions happen, cities are possibly razed, and again the raiders must answer the call to keep or make the land safe again and rebuild.

NPCs play a more active role in this world. If the player-made city happens to be in the hunting grounds of a powerful dragon, that dragon will expect tribute payments to remain in its favor.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. Too much work.

I enjoy playing games, i probably won't enjoy making them.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I'd make a console-PC and all the games for it.  After a three month beginner's market where I sold my first stations and game to the rich for millions, I'd box it up and sell it for less than a cheap ass Wal-mart computer to the general consumer.  

It would be compatible with any keypad mouse monitor or modern tv.  The games my dev teams made for it would not run on any other PC.  But anyone could run any PC game on my system.  It would be designed dust free by coolant or filters and it would be designed to last.  I would NOT protect my games from being consumer copied.  No key codes.  I would copyright system and games from corporate theft but that does not include sharing ideas.  I would let people mod my games.  I would make each game look, play, and feel vastly different than all the others.

I have one game design in my mind which I've already talked about on these forums to many times.  After it I would probably try to push out sandbox mmos.  Each new game would target a different age group from child to elderly/handicap/hospital ridden and all inbetween.  

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Oh sure like they didn't have a business manager!

Problem is they were blinded by their own egos just like most of the posters on this forum.     Sure!!!  Making MMO's is as simple as having a good idea.  

LMFAO!!

come on man, think a bit.

Excess expenditures, probably people who couldn't say "no".

Just the idea that they took that deal in R.I. was an issue. I mean, given the amount of money they had to come up with on installments, without any actual income other than "more investement" it was a bad deal.

You are right on one count, they were blinded by their own egos.

There were so many financial blunders that were published I can't imagine how many more didn't get aired in public.

No, if they had a business manager he was bad. They didn't operate like "a true startup" and weren't fiscally responsible.

Business get started with less than $100 million. No business plan, taking on unecessary financial hardship without an income other than to borrow more.

Not smart.

Sure what you are saying is correct.  But you are missing the point of this whole thread.

Curt was a guy just like everybody else here, posting their "ideas".  The only difference is he actually had access to the 100 million.  But what he didn't have,  was any clue how to make an actual game.   And neither do any of the posters here, including yourself I am sorry to say.   Hell ,even the people trained to do it are having a hard time these days!  Oh and what he came up with after all of his ideas was just another generic high fantasy MMO by all accounts.

So sorry, while you may be correct in saying they made mistakes, you are not making any relevant comment on the actual topic of this thread.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137

I would make a game with all those characteristics just to make many guys angry.

1-One server only

2-One char per account only

3-One life Permadeath

4-Open pvp everywhere

5-No rvr

6-Full Drop

7-First Person view ALL TIME

8-Weakest npc monster on the game is equivalent to a level 1 char

9-No instancies

10-You need to carry your money to buy stuff

11-Items can be destroyed.

12-If the game has magic, no teleport or ressurection spells exist.

13-IF you can increase your heath bar ingame by just resting, it will be increased at a realistic rate 

14-Monsters that like gold or other items will steal those items from bodies

15-Monsters that are agressive will attack the player when they see the player.

• Vynxe_VaingloryVynxe_Vainglory Member Posts: 20
    If $100 million was given to me to make a game, I would recreate the old Pong game exactly for a budget of $10, and invest the money into something else to make at least a $5 million profit, then give the money back, publish Pong as a flash game on a free website, and keep the $5 million.
  • rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    i wud have to ask the OP if it includes the best devs and game programmers at your disposal

hallo ~_~

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by exdeathbr

I would make a game with all those characteristics just to make many guys angry.

1-One server only

2-One char per account only

3-One life Permadeath

4-Open pvp everywhere

5-No rvr

6-Full Drop

7-First Person view ALL TIME

8-Weakest npc monster on the game is equivalent to a level 1 char

9-No instancies

10-You need to carry your money to buy stuff

11-Items can be destroyed.

12-If the game has magic, no teleport or ressurection spells exist.

And put a crapton of advertising and misinformation out. Hire people to hype the game everywhere so it sells millions.

Move to another country.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I would make it for VR headset, first person , D&D type spells and classes.

The graphics would be realism not flashy crap.

no level cap tho more of a skill based system.

open world sandbox.

would hire economist to produce a real econmy system, monsters would drop gold unless they killed a player and took it etc.

Basically think of a living breathing game that felt like reality in a fantastic world

My other idea is to make a 3D MMO called 

Civilisation Online .

It would be 3d and you would be a soldier in one of the leaders armies etc.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Yeah, everyone thinks is really easy to do and the real developers are just idiots.  Problem is that all these failed mmorpgs started with someone who had an idea and a means to make it happen, enough so that they secured funding, something no one on this site can do, even with their narcissistic infallible cocktail of great ideas.  Look at the 7 pages of ideas here.. "I would take this game and that game and this thing from that game"  the same train of though that gets us the same old shit over and over again.  In all honesty I would take that 100 mil, make a full loot sandbox that wasn't an underfunded and under developed product...something that hasn't really been done since UO/AC...but I know it would never recoop that 100 mil.  But yeah this site has hordes of armchair developers with all the right ideas and everything with making a game is easy and simple..

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Yeah, everyone thinks is really easy to do and the real developers are just idiots.  Problem is that all these failed mmorpgs started with someone who had an idea and a means to make it happen, enough so that they secured funding, something no one on this site can do, even with their narcissistic infallible cocktail of great ideas.  Look at the 7 pages of ideas here.. "I would take this game and that game and this thing from that game"  the same train of though that gets us the same old shit over and over again.  In all honesty I would take that 100 mil, make a full loot sandbox that wasn't an underfunded and under developed product...something that hasn't really been done since UO/AC...but I know it would never recoop that 100 mil.  But yeah this site has hordes of armchair developers with all the right ideas and everything with making a game is easy and simple..

CIVILISATION Online would sell 10million copies easily .

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I think I could hire someone that could produce a AAA MMO.