Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Mobile Gaming Gets Serious

2»

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by blohm86
    I dont get it, IPAD//Surface//Android Devices should be powerful enough to run 2D Ultima Online instead of this ripoff? Why is it so standard to produce shallow crap to devices such as them?

Should be? They already are... there are quasi-mmo's already on them.

Not to mention DosBox for regular pc games, ScummVM for Scumm-based adventure games (dosbox is fine to them as well, but I like the direct approach better). You can play all the old Ultimas on your tablet if you want.

The problem is, they can't sell those to new people. The control is clunky, you need to configure manually and not just click on store button and play, it's not user-friendly, and to be honest, not the best looks either :) That's why the remake, it can be advertised, etc. since it's a "new game".

I admit I don't get the UO part, Quest for the Avatar has nothing to do with that ... khm. product ( :) ) which was Ultima in name only anyways.

• Emnity33Emnity33 Member Posts: 7
    I see ''mobile gaming'' in the title and I instantly lose interest... more often than not mobile gaming is shallow and low quality. Alot like this new browser MMO fad thats so big these days.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If this is the future of gaming, what did we do to deserve it?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by inmysights
    There are more Android devices being activated each day than there are babies being born. Bye bye CRIPHONE, cuz that is what you make me do when I see that junk.

That's a really mature post.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    I dont get it, IPAD//Surface//Android Devices should be powerful enough to run 2D Ultima Online instead of this ripoff? Why is it so standard to produce shallow crap to devices such as them?

Not to mention DosBox for regular pc games, ScummVM for Scumm-based adventure games (dosbox is fine to them as well, but I like the direct approach better). You can play all the old Ultimas on your tablet if you want.

The problem is, they can't sell those to new people. The control is clunky, you need to configure manually and not just click on store button and play, it's not user-friendly, and to be honest, not the best looks either :) That's why the remake, it can be advertised, etc. since it's a "new game".

I admit I don't get the UO part, Quest for the Avatar has nothing to do with that ... khm. product ( :) ) which was Ultima in name only anyways.

Technically, the Surface Pro I think it is? The non RT one that runs full Windows 8. Should be able to run Ultima Online quite nicely :) not sure how the touch screen would work for controls, but I suppose hooking a mouse up to it should be possible lol. I guess at that point it's just a laptop though.

• kreearakreeara Member Posts: 7
    Me and you are very much alike lol, I would never use a tablet. EVER 
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

Sweet blatant advert in the middle of a conversation about another game.  Since we're on the subject; "full loot" is the dumbest thing in an MMO.  Want a tiny player base for your MMO? Add full loot.    "Death has meaning".   In real life, yes.  In a game? No thanks. 

Speak for yourself......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I totally agree with Bill on this one. It's a fun little game for about the first hour, but once you start having to repair after each instance you quickly realize that you can't even loot anything you find because if you open a chest then you won't have enough "keys" to repair yourself when you're through. After a few hours you are literally not able to repair. Maybe key drops will be increased, but right now it's dead in the water IMO. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    I totally agree with Bill on this one. It's a fun little game for about the first hour, but once you start having to repair after each instance you quickly realize that you can't even loot anything you find because if you open a chest then you won't have enough "keys" to repair yourself when you're through. After a few hours you are literally not able to repair. Maybe key drops will be increased, but right now it's dead in the water IMO. 

Yep its true! The only way I found to stay ahead is to grind some of the earlier dungeons in crappy gear. It kinda sucks to have a forced grind like that.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Well the cpus and the gpus in these pads are powerful enough, but you hit the nail on the head when you said the controls are clunky.  Using a touch screen is just a very clunky way to play a game like this.  Another reason why a laptop is much better than a pad. 

Gave my ipad to the grandkids, they make better use of it.  Now there are some good uses for a pad, the doctors at the hospital use them as information tools and they can carry them around on rounds.  It all depends what you are doing with it.

• leaf16nutleaf16nut Member UncommonPosts: 39

Bought an iPad 1 from eBay just to try the game, along with some others... Only to find out Ultima Forever isn't compatible with that version...

Well that sucks bawls! But, playing Ultima on an "i" product wouldn't feel right anyway. Just release it on PC enough of this garbage!

• rrashintoastrrashintoast Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Ugh. Watching what EA is doing to the legacy of Ultima is like watching someone smash a beloved family heirloom. Absolutely disgraceful.

Although 'The Weep' is accurately named, because that's all any true fan of the series will do after laying eyes upon this monstrosity.

Excuse me. I feel ill, and need to go retch.

what he said.. 

I WILL NOT SUPPORT NOR PLAY THIS GAME.

NO RICHARD, NO ULTIMA.   IMA GO PLAY UO NOW.

I WILL NOT SUPPORT NOR PLAY THIS GAME.

NO RICHARD, NO ULTIMA.   IMA GO PLAY UO NOW.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Scot
    If this is the future of gaming, what did we do to deserve it?
    pirate bay
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Title is kinda insulting there is already many quality RPGs on mobile devices such as Bard's Tale,9th Dawn,Knights of Pen and Paper,Pocket RPG,Avernum:Escape from the pit,Ravensword:ShadowLands,Realms of Fortune and others that are certainly Serious.

Not to mention many quality rogue type RPGs

Some top quality translations of Tabletop  games like Talisman and Warhammer heroes.

Also Tin Man Games makes great translations of the old Fighting Fantasy  Books complete with dice!!!

I also don't understand why so many people seem threatened by mobile gaming,it's just a different form of gaming with some crossover but not a threat or replacement for Desktop gaming or consoles.

The Apps stores for all mobile platforms are full of freemium crap but there are quality games in there too to be experienced and for very little outlay.