Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good news for some

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I still find it odd that Neverwinter has a modding community in the form of the Foundry, but the Elder Scrolls Online seems to have nothing like this.   An Elder Scrolls Game without a modding community?   Just seems wrong.  
  • KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Hehe now that I think about it, you are right....Skyrim//Oblivion//Morrowind//Fallout wouldnt have held me as long if it werent for the sweet mods
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I dunno about the modding thing.. I reckon there's more people out there that have never modded an ES game than those that have.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

"The Fighters’ and Mages’ Guilds will be in at launch, with thieves and the Dark Brotherhood to be added later."

Sigh..... Why? Just, WHY?!

In all elder scrolls game I have always been an assassin in this I have to wait to be able to join the brotherhood >_>

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I still find it odd that Neverwinter has a modding community in the form of the Foundry, but the Elder Scrolls Online seems to have nothing like this.   An Elder Scrolls Game without a modding community?   Just seems wrong.  

But then when you think about how this is Elder Scrolls in name only...it makes perfect sense.

This game isn't being made for Elder Scrolls fans, its being made for a small portion of MMO fans, much like Camelot Unchained is.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I dunno about the modding thing.. I reckon there's more people out there that have never modded an ES game than those that have.

The Elder Scrolls games have the largest modding communities outside of The Sims which is 100% built around it. Just The Nexus site alone has logged over 1 million unique users for Skyrim alone, which is 500,000 less than Oblivion.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    "The Fighters’ and Mages’ Guilds will be in at launch, with thieves and the Dark Brotherhood to be added later."Sigh..... Why? Just WHY?!..........
    They have to spend their time on things like:
    AvAvA mechanics.
    "Subtly Instanced Questing."
    XP progress rates.
    Voice Overs.
    Cut Scenes.
    Making players in Plate Mail able to dance like a ballerina while in combat aka: combat animations.
    Invent and balance new class abilities.
    Code in all 3 faction areas with various missing NPCs and players.

You know. The "important" stuff. Player PvE comes a way down the line for ZOS.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    "The Fighters’ and Mages’ Guilds will be in at launch, with thieves and the Dark Brotherhood to be added later."Sigh..... Why? Just WHY?!..........
    They have to spend their time on things like:
    AvAvA mechanics.
    "Subtly Instanced Questing."
    XP progress rates.
    Voice Overs.
    Cut Scenes.
    Making players in Plate Mail able to dance like a ballerina while in combat aka: combat animations.
    Invent and balance new class abilities.
    Code in all 3 faction areas with various missing NPCs and players.

You know. The "important" stuff. Player PvE comes a way down the line for ZOS.

Don't think they have cutscenes in this game

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

I wouldn't call Neverwitner's Foundry a modding community.... at all.  All what the Foundry does is replace the quest system of gives an alternate.  Then there is the question of the effectiveness or XP per min thing.

A modding community makes Persistent Worlds, create an immersive story that the player plays through, cut scenes, alteration of gear, modifying appearances, the list can go on n on n on n on....  All of which Neverwinter lacks in their foundry.  All what Neverwinter allows is dropping some mobs, doing the layout, put in some dialogue choices, lay down some traps which can be ignored really and defeats the whole purpose of that they suppose to be.  It's like playing flag football and saying it's just like NFL football.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most of the things you mentioned were pve.

Weird post
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by jtcgs

The Elder Scrolls games have the largest modding communities outside of The Sims which is 100% built around it. Just The Nexus site alone has logged over 1 million unique users for Skyrim alone, which is 500,000 less than Oblivion.

Thanks for the stats...

Still stand by what I said though. Skyrim sold over 10 million units total, 6 million on the 360. Only 14% of those were on the PC.. where the modding is.

Most of the modding community are likely to have pirated the game as well.. since those that mod tend to know how to get pirate copies.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Thanks for the stats...

Still stand by what I said though. Skyrim sold over 10 million units total, 6 million on the 360. Only 14% of those were on the PC.. where the modding is.

Most of the modding community are likely to have pirated the game as well.. since those that mod tend to know how to get pirate copies.

The point is moot anyway as they have confirmed they will allow lua mods so modders will be fine

http://www.gamefront.com/elder-scrolls-online-to-support-player-made-add-ons/

TBH the vast majority of popular mods for tes games aren't content mods anyway they are things like ui changes, graphics improvements, changes to in game mechanics, armor's/weapons and cheats. UI changes will be covered with lua addons and the rest either wouldn't be allowed  (cheats and armors/weapons) or couldn't be allowed (game mechanics, graphic changes)

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

From what I hear neverwinter foundry mostly became a way to gain cheap xp by creating a scenario of cheezy mobs that are easy to aoe down quick, then run it over and over.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by flizzer I still find it odd that Neverwinter has a modding community in the form of the Foundry, but the Elder Scrolls Online seems to have nothing like this.   An Elder Scrolls Game without a modding community?   Just seems wrong.  
    But then when you think about how this is Elder Scrolls in name only...it makes perfect sense.

This game isn't being made for Elder Scrolls fans, its being made for a small portion of MMO fans, much like Camelot Unchained is.

yet a large portion of mmo fans will be playing this? weird.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A link to a March 19th article? 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

It could be added later, STO, CoH and I know some other MMOs that added this type of feature later on. Cant have everything in game, or there would be now room for an expation. But I feel ya would be nice to have some sort of mod'ish stuff for TESO at launch. 

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by zaylin

It could be added later, STO, CoH and I know some other MMOs that added this type of feature later on. Cant have everything in game, or there would be now room for an expation. But I feel ya would be nice to have some sort of mod'ish stuff for TESO at launch. 

Thay are allowing player-made addons at launch, was confirmed months ago

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by zaylin

Thay are allowing player-made addons at launch, was confirmed months ago

Think hes talking more about player made content in the form of adventures&quests,then 3rd party Mods/addons. But it is good to hear they will be supporting the 3rd party addons/mods :)

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Yes, I am talking about players creating quests and adventures and adding to the game world.  Maybe I shouldn't have talked about mods.  In Neverwinter players are able to create quests and add them to the game world. I played an involved quest based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness other week.  Multiple maps with NPCs and extensive dialogue.  For me this is what Elder Scrolls games are all about. Not having this in an Elder Scrolls MMO just seems odd to me.