Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

38 minute video - "Age of Wushu: Understanding the Sandbox and Loving It." (By the guy who made all

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Age of Wushu: Understanding the Sandbox and Loving It."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K2_2H1ASKAo

Good stuff here.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Unfortunately he already made a mistake stating, "the game doesn't really have a leveling system". It does, and oh my there's a lot of leveling required in this game. From leveling your skills to your schools inner skills.

It's highly advised not to skill the self-recollection skill at all as it's a waste of points.

I've played this game since beta and can easily say that is game is by no means a "sandbox" in terms of the Elder Scrolls series. Sure the zones are "large" however this game isn't anymore of a sandbox than say World of Warcraft or Everquest. You almost never spend your time in the zones unless you're collecting resources for crafting the nodes are located on the map for you. You're typically in your school training, in dungeons, Dueling outside of Chengdu, and several other PvP events dealing with other guilds/ schools. 

He does however, explain some of the basics down fairly well. But this does not show in any light how Age of Wushu is a "sandbox" game.

as have I. You know I don't do anything I don't want to? No two days have every been close to the same for me.

No dailes, no quest. No level cap. No hard factions. FFA PVP. Guild Wars, School wars. Territory control. Polotics, I could go on. In my opinion it's the most different mmorpg I've played in the last 8 years, besides EVE.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by bcbully

Unfortunately he already made a mistake stating, "the game doesn't really have a leveling system". It does, and oh my there's a lot of leveling required in this game. From leveling your skills to your schools inner skills.

It's highly advised not to skill the self-recollection skill at all as it's a waste of points.

I've played this game since beta and can easily say that is game is by no means a "sandbox" in terms of the Elder Scrolls series. Sure the zones are "large" however this game isn't anymore of a sandbox than say World of Warcraft or Everquest. You almost never spend your time in the zones unless you're collecting resources for crafting the nodes are located on the map for you. You're typically in your school training, in dungeons, Dueling outside of Chengdu, and several other PvP events dealing with other guilds/ schools. 

He does however, explain some of the basics down fairly well. But this does not show in any light how Age of Wushu is a "sandbox" game.

as have I. You know I don't do anything I don't want to? No two days have every been close to the same for me.

No dailes, no quest. No level cap. No hard factions. FFA PVP. Guild Wars, School wars. Territory control. Polotics, I could go on. In my opinion it's the most different mmorpg I've played in the last 8 years, besides EVE.

I can do  anything I want to in World of Warcraft but that doesn't mean it's a sandbox.

I can do  anything I want to in World of Warcraft but that doesn't mean it's a sandbox.

You can't hit the guy next to you in SW or Org, or be the leader of trolls. In Wushu you can. Really though it's not a sandbox in the since of mindcraft, but in the since of EVE.

Wel me and the guy in the video disagree with you, and that's ok. That's what forums are for.

territory control

player driven economy

player created faction, or 8 soft faction, however you want to look at it.

Player taxes

17 professions from blacksmithing to musician (just like guitar hero, all professions have mini games.)

FFA pvp

Real working alignment system, that determines how thousands of npcs react to you. 

Progress doing anything, or nothing at all, or just the things you find fun.

school polotics all player driven.

Guild alliances fighting for territory control.

No two items, nor two crafters are the same. 

Guild territory taxes

Free form character progression. No two character are remotely the same at this point. 

I could go on. No building block type of game play though. So if you are coming from the point of view that Minecraft is a true sandbox the others are not, I understand. 

I've heard people say that they do their dailies. I honestly have no clue what they are talking about. I guess you could play the game that way, doing spy  missions and such, but by no means is it the norm, or something I could even instruct you on how to do.

Wel me and the guy in the video disagree with you, and that's ok. That's what forums are for.

territory control - This exists in WoW Now you are being silly... Guilds in Wushu control lands larger than Dun Morogh. With keeps larger than Iron Forge. They tax this lands too.

player driven economy - Exists in WoW and any other MMO that has an Auction House. I don't think you know the meaning of player driven economy. I will not explain.

player created faction, or 8 soft faction, however you want to look at it. Exists in WoW the game has 3 factions schools of martial arts which can be broken down into 8 separate pieces; just like classes.WoW has 2 faction, horde and alliance. What are you trying to do here man. I'm just gonna stop here.

Player taxes - Exists in WoW

17 professions from blacksmithing to musician (just like guitar hero, all professions have mini games.) - Exists in World of Warcraft. The mini-game being just like guitar hero I don't know about that one I didn't play the music profession. However, world of warcraft has its fair share of mini-games as well.

FFA pvp 

Real working alignment system, that determines how thousands of npcs react to you.  - Exists in any game including World of Warcraft. It's just the reputation system renamed.

Progress doing anything, or nothing at all, or just the things you find fun. - You can do this in World of Warcraft.

school polotics all player driven. - Politic will be politics. This exists in many themepark MMO's depends on how much your guild(s) bump heads. This is also in World of Warcraft, I've had plenty of guild/ faction politics discussions.

Guild alliances fighting for territory control. See Territory control? I remember the good old days of Hillsbrad Foothills back when Open World PvP. Contesting the two towns was great fun back then. I'm pretty sure you forgot about things like Wintergrasp and what not. They're territory control areas in the world that the horde and alliance fight over.

No two items, nor two crafters are the same.  That's untrue in this game and is a false fact. There are no two player crated items that are the same. No armor, no weapon. Have you really played? There are no Longswords of the Eagle in AoW.

Guild territory taxes 

Free form character progression. No two character are remotely the same at this point.  Only early levels of the game are players truly different from one another. However, once you get into the later portions of the game people definitely use cookie cutter builds. Pure nonsense. It's impossible to do. Google Age of Wushu and cookie cutter. This will be the only place on the entire internets that you see that statement.

I could go on. No building block type of game play though. So if you are coming from the point of view that Minecraft is a true sandbox the others are not, I understand. 

I've heard people say that they do their dailies. I honestly have no clue what they are talking about. I guess you could play the game that way, doing spy  missions and such, but by no means is it the norm, or something I could even instruct you on how to do.

While you're right about two of the many things you've claimed. That does not make this game anymore a sandbox than World of Warcraft.

I didnt read the rest. Team is waiting on me.

edit - Had time. Answered while eating pizza PLay the game so you can atleast critique the game..

territory control - This exists in WoW Now you are being silly... Guilds in Wushu control lads larger than Dun Morogh. With keeps larger than Iron Forge. The tax this lad too.

Does size really make the difference? The feature is still in the game none the less.

player driven economy - Exists in WoW and any other MMO that has an Auction House. I don't think you no the meaning of player driven economy. I will not explain.

Player driven economy. Well in this game it's crafted and sold on the market. World of Warcraft is crafted and sold on the market.

player created faction, or 8 soft faction, however you want to look at it. Exists in WoW the game has 3 factions schools of martial arts which can be broken down into 8 separate pieces; just like classes.WoW has 2 faction, horde and alliance. What are you trying to do here man. I'm just gonna stop here.

World of Warcraft has two factions. Age of Wushu has two factions. There's good and evil however you can choose the "neutral" faction(s) if you want.

Player taxes - Exists in WoW

17 professions from blacksmithing to musician (just like guitar hero, all professions have mini games.) - Exists in World of Warcraft. The mini-game being just like guitar hero I don't know about that one I didn't play the music profession. However, world of warcraft has its fair share of mini-games as well.

FFA pvp 

Real working alignment system, that determines how thousands of npcs react to you.  - Exists in any game including World of Warcraft. It's just the reputation system renamed.

Progress doing anything, or nothing at all, or just the things you find fun. - You can do this in World of Warcraft.

school polotics all player driven. - Politic will be politics. This exists in many themepark MMO's depends on how much your guild(s) bump heads. This is also in World of Warcraft, I've had plenty of guild/ faction politics discussions.

Guild alliances fighting for territory control. See Territory control? I remember the good old days of Hillsbrad Foothills back when Open World PvP. Contesting the two towns was great fun back then. I'm pretty sure you forgot about things like Wintergrasp and what not. They're territory control areas in the world that the horde and alliance fight over.

No two items, nor two crafters are the same.  That's untrue in this game and is a false fact. There are no two player crated items that are the same. No armor, no weapon. Have you really played? There are no Longswords of the Eagle in AoW.

You obviously haven't played the game long enough to experience the market.

Guild territory taxes 

Free form character progression. No two character are remotely the same at this point.  Only early levels of the game are players truly different from one another. However, once you get into the later portions of the game people definitely use cookie cutter builds. Pure nonsense. It's impossible to do. Google Age of Wushu and cookie cutter. This will be the only place on the entire internets that you see that statement.

I know the exact build for Wudang and I've know the proper build since the release of this game in Korea.

While you're right about two of the many things you've claimed. That does not make this game anymore a sandbox than World of Warcraft.

I didnt read the rest. Team is waiting on me.

edit - Had time. Answered while eating pizza PLay the game so you can atleast critique the game..

hey bro the thread is yours. I was hoping we could discuss in good faith. 

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I dont think he is disagreeing that the game isn't different, just that it isn't a sandbox, or at least that the features that you list dont make it a sandbox.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Some pretty good forums pvp up in here.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Thupli
    I dont think he is disagreeing that the game isn't different, just that it isn't a sandbox, or at least that the features that you list dont make it a sandbox.

It would help if he defined what it is, w/e  though, the rest of the world disagrees, alone with the guy in the video.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You can't hit the guy next to you in SW or Org, or be the leader of trolls. In Wushu you can. Really though it's not a sandbox in the since of mindcraft, but in the since of EVE.

Only resemblance with EVE is some sort of real time skill training and that is where any sort of similarity ends.

AoW is nothing like EVE, AoW is no sandbox by any means.

[mod edit]

Yep, Rift is also a sandbox coz Goons play it, right?

5 wrongs do not make 1 right...

You don't know much about the Goons. Their only game isn't Eve. Sure they play Age of Wushu as well. I remember killing them 1v10 in it. That was a fun time indeed. They were just starting out in the game thinking they were big shots. They allso played in many other themepark games. Mainly because they're a massive community ranging to all sorts of games.

Hell, Goons even play WoW...

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

an pro from korean server who dont know a @#$% about game

clans in AoW like kfactions in WoW? Didnt know that now in WOW Orcs can go and raid Undeads..

AoW have reputation and aligments system so no its not like rep in WoW

Build for Wutang? LOL I have played almost 9 months in chinese version where game is out longer than in Korea and they dont have 1 or 2 builds that everyone copy

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I can't say i've ever heard someone ramble on about and explain something for 38 minutes without actually "explaining" anything.

The guy in this video seriously sounds like a brain dead zombie.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Braindome

I can't say i've ever heard someone ramble on about and explain something for 38 minutes without actually "explaining" anything.

The guy in this video seriously sounds like a brain dead zombie.

Considering the individual in question thinks this game is a sandbox, how much of an IQ quotient  did you really expect?

Screen shot of a pm after the Epic School War lastnight. I figured I put this here. "Reminds me of the glory days of EVE." 

ignore the goldseller spam, we do ;)