Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If any what book/film do you think would make a good mmo ?

13»

Comments

• GrymGrym Member UncommonPosts: 301

Shannara

World of Greyhawke

Midkemia

Krynn

Dragon Age (there is a movie, so this counts)

Excalibur

Firefly

Bloodsport (Kaz O'shea anyone?)

Sword & the Sorcerer

Hawke the Slayer (Mindsword vs Jack Palance)

The Magic Sword (campy movie, but has all the elements of a fantasy MMO)

Harry Potter (would need a new approach to magic, only 6 levels to correspond with school years)

Dragon Slayer

Legend (anything by David Gemmel)

Willow

Highlander

Flesh and Blood (mercenary oriented game, huge potential for PvP)

The Black Cauldron (the book, not that lame Disney fare)

The Rings of Allaire (Susan Dexter)

Krull

The list goes on....

(My son speaking to his Japanese Grandmother) " Sorry Obaba, I don't speak Japanese, I only speak human."

• BattlesnakeBattlesnake Member Posts: 6

Matthew Woodring Stover, specifically the Caine novels (Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, etc).  The whole "Actor" entering the Overworld is perfect for explaining why you're in that world doing heroic stuff.  Plenty of factions on Overworld, and a few races as well.  You could even link in the real Earth factions and have Social Police wielding high-tech gear as some higher level content.  Playing a Knight of Khryll... yes, please.  Or an Ogrillo Black Knife... 

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, you're missing out on one of the baddest anti-hero stories around.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    None

History shows mmos (and games in general) based on non gaming ips usually turn out shite.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Tango and Cash, the first book, not the follow-up garbage.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    What makes a good mmo isn't the setting which is what movie/books would bring to it.   Gameplay is what makes a game good.  That comes down to design and implementation.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Books are books for a reason.  They're not meant to be games.  I see a lot of excellent works of literature ITT and I can't help but think they would be absolutely disgraced if turned into an MMO.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

The Talisman by Stephen King/Peter Straub.

A boy could travel to another dimension.He could be in New York and travel to this other dimension.Once there he could travel and experience that world and then come back to our dimension and be in Texas.

I think a mmo with 2 dimensions would work.You could have 1 that is more like the real world and 1 that is dark and scary.Place events in both dimensions,so they feel more alive.You could even overlap the events so peeps would have to make a choice.

You could make both dimensions part mobs/scary to kill and level up.Also make both calm part of the time.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• pete7729pete7729 Member UncommonPosts: 13

The Riftwar series of books by Raymond E. Feist would make a great mmo.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Alas, Babylon. 

(Your basic nuclear apocalypse tale, but one of the earliest and most influential)

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294

-Star Wars (still)

-Midkemia Saga

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

IPs can bring strength to a title, but everything else needs to fall in place with the game as well.

Underworld (movie series) would be a good choice. The IP has potential when not constricted as a movie. Plus who doesn't love seeing Selene, Amelia, Erika, or Sonja?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Tindale111
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Frank Herbert's Dune of course.

It is one of my most favorite series EVER. I would love to see Dune Universe in MMO.

yeah dune would be great imagine trying to get across the desert with all those worms lol

Teleport into the worm fight instance, teleport back the city

Dune would be my pick too.

It has Multiple Factions with distinctive looks,tactics and weapons and seems tailor made for being made into a MMO and it already has a history in video games including Dune 2 being "borrowed" from heavily by blizzard for the first Warcraft game.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Maybe I'm getting old but I'm surprised no-one has mentioned -

The Belgariad (books 1 to 5) and The Malloreon (books 1 to 5). Both written by David Eddings.

They discribe the rich and complex cultures amongst the numerous races. From assasins to sorcerers, people that can communicate with horses, walk through solid rock, various gods, and creatures make for a great read and basis for an MMORPG.

also

The Seventh Sword - Brilliant and original storyline written by Dave Duncan

plus

Clan of the Cave Bear  - (Jean M Auel) is set in neolithic times when men had recently evolved into Cro Magnon humans and Neanderthals still existed. Amazing depth to this series though a terrible movie of it was made in 1988.

lastly

Xanth - is a collection of books written by Peirs Anthony aimed towards the younger teen audience. A very complex world filled with imagination and magic

I also agree that some Raymond E Feist (The Magician), and Terry Brooks (Wishsong of Shannara) books would provide a large platform of lore to work with.

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

Books that I would love to see turned into an mmo:

Shadowdale, Tantris, and Waterdeep. They are known as The Avatar Trilogy.

Spellfire

Darkwell, Black Wizards, Darkwalker on Moonshae. Or basically the Moonshae Isles Trilogy

For movies, I think the Fifth Element would be a great setting for a mmo.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Probably lesser known, but I submit that Steven Brust's Stories set in the world of Dragera would be an excellent basis for an MMO. Many different races, a rich complex story line and much more. 
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I have no faith in today's devs to make a MMO worth playing..  It seems that companies are choose 1 or two paths.. Either 1) FPS shooter type game (planetside) or 2) storyline driven themepark (SWTOR)..  Been there, done that and done with it.. When games change back to more sandbox style I might give it a go, until them I'd rather play chess against the computer.. lol
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    I have no faith in today's devs to make a MMO worth playing..  It seems that companies are choose 1 or two paths.. Either 1) FPS shooter type game (planetside) or 2) storyline driven themepark (SWTOR)..  Been there, done that and done with it.. When games change back to more sandbox style I might give it a go, until them I'd rather play chess against the computer.. lol

Try chess.com

It's a good chess site where you can play for free against other people or chess engines.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Lord of the Rings. Oh, it already been done. I thought midgets and some big tree things would be awesome and the original idea was good til it got turned into a theme park and eventually f2p but anyways.

Some kind of time travel game so you could play random stuff whether in some medieval town or a futa ristic alien race or a caveman alien race or a primitive little town with energy shielding or anything in any point of time. Hrm the secret world could do that and make it work.

But Game of Thrones would be interesting just because I can't think of anything else right now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    What has historically been done is for a developer to rip off an IP (book, Movie, Toy Line) to within a hair's breadth of it being subject to litigation, and then they just give it their own name.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    I think the Rogue Trader setting in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, made into a tabletop RPG by Fantasy Flight Games, would be awesome, either as a single player game or as an MMO.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

once again...

DUNE !

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Thought of another one this morning, Jack L. Chalker's Saga of the Well World, frankly don't even need to follow the story, just the ideas about the Well World itself, the different lands that follow different rules, can use magic in some but not others, different races, everyone at war to control the Well of Souls.  Could be a great basis. 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Twilight the higher level you are the more sparkly and emo you look
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Twilight the higher level you are the more sparkly and emo you look

at lvl 60 you unlock black make-up for males.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)