Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If given $100 million,you think you could produce a AAA mmo?

Comments

• HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221

OMG yes.  I don't believe there's a single AAA sandbox right now like Ultima Online (or in general).  I've tried every one that's out there, and most of them, to be honest, SUCK.  Most of the so-called sandbox games out there now aren't even close to AAA titles.  The graphics and gameplay sucks, they are full of bugs, let alone completely unfinished, unpolished, stable, etc. (good example, Mortal Online.  What a piece of trash).

There are WAY too many theme-parks, and most are exactly the same with just a new coat of graphics.  None of them have any exploration.  It's just a fairly linear romp from one predefined area to the next that puts me to sleep...The monsters are ALWAYS in the exact same place, especially all those instances which are identical each time you run them, which I find mindless and boring.  Then there's that rush to "end-game" which I absolutely hate, nor understand.. but I guess if the game offers nothing else, that's what players do. 

Don't even get me started on the never ending stream of Asian-made games that almost identical in design and gameplay, just with slightly different graphics.  Most are unpolished and the gameplay mechanics are terrible.  Talk about mindless cookie-cutter garbage.  Bleah.  Wow, another game that lets be choose between tank/fighter, thief/ranger, priest, and mage.  What a new concept!  By all means, keep churning out games like this over and over again.  Zzzzzzz.

I'd bring back an open world game like Ultima Online, with a 2013+ engine, graphics, sound, etc, and add dynamic events like Rift and other games have added.  There's a reason why UO is STILL running.

I'd add a real sense of danger as well, that most new games lack completely.  For example, I tried Neverwinter and found it completely mindless and challenge-less.  I liked GW2 more, mostly for the exploration aspects, but again, it's easy-mode.  You can solo most of the outside areas, if not all, and I never ever felt like I was in danger of dying, and if I did, I didn't care because there's almost no penalty for it.

Most games now have PVE just to get your toon ready for PVP.  I think that's a terrible design.  I mean, awful.  The PVE should be a great alternative to PVP that people can choose to enjoy over PVP, instead of just using it to get strong enough for PVP.  A player should also be able to do both, where both types of play are challenging.  True coop gameplay is great too, and most games now focus on soloing, with groups only needed for instances.  Puke.

I'd create a living, breathing world, where you can do anything you want, with the main focus put back on exploration and discovery, which is almost never the same twice.  I grew up on RPG's that let you explore and find new areas, monsters, treasure, etc.  I can't find a single AAA game that offers that (maybe Eve, but I didn't care for it.  Way too boring for me).

I'd remove mindless ganker/griefer pvp completely, but allow pvp (I won't elaborate how right now, but I have many thoughts about this in mind).  You can't go around the world and beat the shit out of a baby and then take it's pacifier without prison, a mob of people ripping you apart, and so on.  Also, there's no gain in the real world from beating up a child, then stealing every worthless item they have on them... so, I'm not sure why this is allowed in any video game.  I'd allow players to be somewhat immoral, but I'd introduce morality systems, like reputation, bounties, even npcs that hunt you down like the animal you are, that have been done before, but never implemented very well.  I did always like a criminal element in games, which could even have their own town, hideout, etc.

I'd make herds of creatures roaming the countryside.  They would vigorously protect their young ones, just like in the real world.  The creatures would vary wildly, again, like UO.  Some could use teamwork to defeat you, poison you, immobilize you, and even hunt, which I NEVER see in video games.  I'd like to roam around the countryside being stalked by creatures or humanoids that pick up your scent, track you in other ways, etc.  A real sense of danger.

I'd allow intelligent humanoid npcs to build forts, structures, traps, communities, that you could either attack, steal from, barter with, etc, including reputation systems, faction building, etc.  If you worked for a certain village, cult, etc, you could get new skills found nowhere else in the game, get an npc from the villiage to help you or work for you, etc.

I'd also add destructible environments than can be repaired by enemies, players, etc.  I see NONE of this in games.  I'd like to be able to take over a fort with fellow players, and take control of it.  I'd like to see mobs do the same thing.  You could visit a fort being attacked by NPC's fighting for control of it, and each time you go there, it could be abandoned, owned my different intelligent races, etc.

These are just a few of my ideas.  I don't want to spill them all. ;)

I'll probably never see a game like this.  So sad.

• nakkinakki Member Posts: 56

My game would be generic mmorpg except I would implement atleast these features in it:

- No bop or boe items

- some low level items would be useful at higher level

- some low level items would be extremely imbalanced to their level

- some items would require only attributes(str,dex,int etc.) and no levels.

- No automatic character attributes. You have to place them yourself and make choices.

- attributes determines what kind of character you are and which skills and items you could learn/wear

- every "class" would have some extremely useful active skills that gets unlocked at certain level so that people would enjoy reaching those milestones. (for example vanilla wow had mostly boring skills for many of the classes compared to what  I was used to having with earlier mmorpgs)

- passive skills could be leveled up and they wouldn't be meaningless(swords skill, magic, bows. etc) . These would be mini milestones with active skills and character levels. Some items requires passive skill level.

-tradeskills(cooking, harvesting, mining, building lots of lots of things,all kinds of crafting). I would include lots of customization possibilites through crafting. mounts could be replaced with crafted steam cars which would be very expensive. Yeah something like that.

-  atleast one zone would be exclusively for low and mid level characters where there will be both pvp and pve content with increased drop rates

- whatever needed to have player based economy without too much inflation

- some very rare and useful drops you could find with small group or alone.

- wow style pve progression with some mediocre to very hard instances at max level just ilke in vanilla wow

- guilds could earn pve and pvp points. best guilds in server would get added benefits. these points could be lost depending if a guild starts to function badly in these activities.

- first person view possible

- no tab targeting

- harsh penalties for dying in some zones

- alignment system

yup sounds good

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Wouldn't even require that much. I'd say that 10 million is sufficient allready to produce a AAA-MMO.

That wasn't the question, though. :)

Could you produce a AAA MMO on a budget of $100 million?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yes.

Now where is my money?

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

That's simple.

You get experienced coders who have worked on other titles.

You get them to work for you because you offer them a chance to make a great game, and when they find out they don't have to compromise their ideas in order to meet money deadlines, they will flock to you!

I think your being far too pessimistic.

No more pessimistic than you are idealistic.

Coming from someone who crys about every game, because its not perfect, or solo enough.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    People have made aaa mmos for a lot less, both daoc and eve were around the $5m mark.

Exactly, and look at how many peeps we got here who think it would be impossible.

I have never seen so much pessimism on any board here at MMORPG, and that's saying a lot!!

nm

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

That's simple.

You get them to work for you because you offer them a chance to make a great game, and when they find out they don't have to compromise their ideas in order to meet money deadlines, they will flock to you!

Coming from someone who crys about every game, because its not perfect, or solo enough.

Going to call you on that one.  Seriously, dude... it's one thing to make stuff up and try to get away with it, but it's another to try to pull that off when anyone can look through my post history and see your just lying out your ass. Uncalled for.

Would be great if you could link something to support that or post a retraction.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Sure.

2 million on coding and architecture

28 million on artwork and polish

30 million on customer support and post-release features/expansions

40 million on marketing

It will be out in 2.5 years.  Bam! image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I think I could pick a team that could produce a AAA MMO. My part would be the money and an idea and that would be it though.

If we're not saying actually programming one ourselves, then I agree with this.  Have an idea and funding, and you will get people to take you seriously enough to hear you out and get interested.  If you're overseeing the project, it's more about project management than about technical skills.  You don't need to micromanage every detail if you hire the right people for the project.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yep I would clone Age of Wushu and put it in a high fantasy setting, then make all the monies.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

That's simple.

Going to call you on that one.  Seriously, dude... it's one thing to make stuff up and try to get away with it, but it's another to try to pull that off when anyone can look through my post history and see your just lying out your ass. Uncalled for.

Would be great if you could link something to support that or post a retraction.

Referring mainly to the thread about "group play over solo play", perhaps your memory is failing you.

Your pessimism is common knowledge to anyone who frequents these boards.

Originally posted by Phaserlight

Sure.

2 million on coding and architecture

28 million on artwork and polish

30 million on customer support and post-release features/expansions

40 million on marketing

It will be out in 2.5 years.  Bam! image

Is that for your MMO or your campaign for world domination? :)

That's simple.

Referring mainly to the thread about "group play over solo play", perhaps your memory is failing you.

Your pessimism is common knowledge to anyone who frequents these boards.

So... no links to me crying a game isn't perfect or that it isn't solo enough?  Well, I knew that was the case, aaaand I probably should have guessed you wouldn't man up and apologize, so let's get back on topic and lay off the ad hominems, especially when they're just made up bullshit.

Cheers! image

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

First step, target a player audience and focus on making the best game for them, and not a game for everyone. Don't compromise Your main ideas and principles, but stay open enough to make the changes needed. Chase the elusive fun factor and have your target audience in sight at all times.

I guess it is a matter of surrounding yourself with the right people, and that is probably one of the hardest parts because You will not really know if they were the right people till the project succeed or fail. Anyways, hand me the money and I will let you know in 3 years time.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    yes, with ease.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by kjempff

First step, target a player audience and focus on making the best game for them, and not a game for everyone. Don't compromise Your main ideas and principles, but stay open enough to make the changes needed. Chase the elusive fun factor and have your target audience in sight at all times.

I guess it is a matter of surrounding yourself with the right people, and that is probably one of the hardest parts because You will not really know if they were the right people till the project succeed or fail. Anyways, hand me the money and I will let you know in 3 years time.

The target audience seems to be the one that went out the window post-WOW. Prior to that, it seemed MMOs were more focused on who they were designed for. I think one of the biggest problems is the temptation to expand things a bit in each direction because jsut a little broader scope means a much wider net to cast, however that usually waters down the core gameplay so that it no longer appeals even to that specific audience.

Puzzle Pirates, Furcadia, EVE, ATITD, There, SWG, Project Entropia... all the pre-2004 MMOs seemed to have a particular type of player at the core of their vision. Not so much anymore.

• IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall

OMG yes.  I don't believe there's a single AAA sandbox right now like Ultima Online (or in general).  I've tried every one that's out there, and most of them, to be honest, SUCK.  Most of the so-called sandbox games out there now aren't even close to AAA titles.  The graphics and gameplay sucks, they are full of bugs, let alone completely unfinished, unpolished, stable, etc. (good example, Mortal Online.  What a piece of trash).

There are WAY too many theme-parks, and most are exactly the same with just a new coat of graphics.  None of them have any exploration.  It's just a fairly linear romp from one predefined area to the next that puts me to sleep...The monsters are ALWAYS in the exact same place, especially all those instances which are identical each time you run them, which I find mindless and boring.  Then there's that rush to "end-game" which I absolutely hate, nor understand.. but I guess if the game offers nothing else, that's what players do. 

Don't even get me started on the never ending stream of Asian-made games that almost identical in design and gameplay, just with slightly different graphics.  Most are unpolished and the gameplay mechanics are terrible.  Talk about mindless cookie-cutter garbage.  Bleah.  Wow, another game that lets be choose between tank/fighter, thief/ranger, priest, and mage.  What a new concept!  By all means, keep churning out games like this over and over again.  Zzzzzzz.

I'd bring back an open world game like Ultima Online, with a 2013+ engine, graphics, sound, etc, and add dynamic events like Rift and other games have added.  There's a reason why UO is STILL running.

I'd add a real sense of danger as well, that most new games lack completely.  For example, I tried Neverwinter and found it completely mindless and challenge-less.  I liked GW2 more, mostly for the exploration aspects, but again, it's easy-mode.  You can solo most of the outside areas, if not all, and I never ever felt like I was in danger of dying, and if I did, I didn't care because there's almost no penalty for it.

Most games now have PVE just to get your toon ready for PVP.  I think that's a terrible design.  I mean, awful.  The PVE should be a great alternative to PVP that people can choose to enjoy over PVP, instead of just using it to get strong enough for PVP.  A player should also be able to do both, where both types of play are challenging.  True coop gameplay is great too, and most games now focus on soloing, with groups only needed for instances.  Puke.

I'd create a living, breathing world, where you can do anything you want, with the main focus put back on exploration and discovery, which is almost never the same twice.  I grew up on RPG's that let you explore and find new areas, monsters, treasure, etc.  I can't find a single AAA game that offers that (maybe Eve, but I didn't care for it.  Way too boring for me).

I'd remove mindless ganker/griefer pvp completely, but allow pvp (I won't elaborate how right now, but I have many thoughts about this in mind).  You can't go around the world and beat the shit out of a baby and then take it's pacifier without prison, a mob of people ripping you apart, and so on.  Also, there's no gain in the real world from beating up a child, then stealing every worthless item they have on them... so, I'm not sure why this is allowed in any video game.  I'd allow players to be somewhat immoral, but I'd introduce morality systems, like reputation, bounties, even npcs that hunt you down like the animal you are, that have been done before, but never implemented very well.  I did always like a criminal element in games, which could even have their own town, hideout, etc.

I'd make herds of creatures roaming the countryside.  They would vigorously protect their young ones, just like in the real world.  The creatures would vary wildly, again, like UO.  Some could use teamwork to defeat you, poison you, immobilize you, and even hunt, which I NEVER see in video games.  I'd like to roam around the countryside being stalked by creatures or humanoids that pick up your scent, track you in other ways, etc.  A real sense of danger.

I'd allow intelligent humanoid npcs to build forts, structures, traps, communities, that you could either attack, steal from, barter with, etc, including reputation systems, faction building, etc.  If you worked for a certain village, cult, etc, you could get new skills found nowhere else in the game, get an npc from the villiage to help you or work for you, etc.

I'd also add destructible environments than can be repaired by enemies, players, etc.  I see NONE of this in games.  I'd like to be able to take over a fort with fellow players, and take control of it.  I'd like to see mobs do the same thing.  You could visit a fort being attacked by NPC's fighting for control of it, and each time you go there, it could be abandoned, owned my different intelligent races, etc.

This is a positively brilliant idea for a game.  I would love to play this! :)

I would love to implement a game that mixes the best of all the games I love which would be UO+DaoC+WaR plus other fun elements from other games which aren't great as a whole but I like some aspects like WoW.  If I had the funds I could totally make it work.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Why would I need to?  I just got 100 million dollars handed to me because I said I'd make an MMO.

LOLing all the way to the bank... wait... isn't that what they do now?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

You know, given $100 million you probably could. you would essentially become the backer.

Then you would do a little research figure out what you needed to start such a project, depending upon what your background was you would either hire a business manager or be the business manager. For this little experiment, I could be the business manager based on my background.

I'd get all the nuts and bolts such as payroll, becoming a corporation, H.R., finding a space and taking care of the lease (you know the nuts and bolts non-fun stuff)  etc together and you would then hire the appropriate people to actually manage and run the game design and building.

You would have to do this in conjunction with your first hire who would be the person who actually knew what a game design team was supposed to be.

So essentially you would figure out your role, small or large and hire the people who could make this happen.

If you were an artist and were good you could be on the art team, maybe spearhead the art design. Since I'm a composer I would probably take care of all the music.

This could be done.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Nobody here could produce a better mmo than what is being produced unless you've had experience in the industry, i am not surprised that people on this site think they could though. know it all's much.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Issiea
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall

This is a positively brilliant idea for a game.  I would love to play this! :)

I would love to implement a game that mixes the best of all the games I love which would be UO+DaoC+WaR plus other fun elements from other games which aren't great as a whole but I like some aspects like WoW.  If I had the funds I could totally make it work.

Happy, do you happen to have a thread/post where you detail your Sandboxish PvP ideas?  I'd be interested to see what you have in mind.  PM me if you'd like.  I'm one of those guys who enjoys PvP when done right, especially open world type PvP.  I'd like to know what others think about it, on a (possibly) more intellectual level.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

It is moderately difficult to make a fun multi-player persistent world game with a fraction of the cost (under a mil USD).

It takes lots of vision, time, effort, will, and basic leadership skills.  

Oh, you also need to know how online games are built technically.

But totally doable.  There are many of us that have done it.  You can to.

-WL

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

There's a 100 page notebook on my desk filled with any MMO related ideas that randomly pop into my head.

My coding experience: I know how to change font size in html

Strongest trait: making maps. Made a bunch of them in any game that allowed it, including cashgrabwinter. Have done extensive research into environment design. My maps are the most realistic and good looking, bla bla bla.

No, I couldn't.

• VodunVodun Member UncommonPosts: 87

My Game would include:

- A Dark Fantasy world at war

- Multi tiered subscription model, or different Power levels, where the higher you are the more options you have in how you play the game. Lowest level would be free to play and can only play as a lowly soldier, the highest Power level could play as a Nobel Lord and own land, conquer more lands and build castles.

- 5 Factions, 4 factions fighting over the remains of the declining Empire faction

- Clearly defined main goals for each faction, and multiple sub goals that will increase the factions overall strength once achieved. Include the ability for each faction to subvert other factions goals in some way.

- Large land battles that can only occur once certain conditions are met, such as when certain faction goals are achieved.

- Diplomacy with non-aligned races or groups. The non-aligned groups can switch sides if your faction is not careful.

- Mounted combat.

- Classes: Noble Lords, Combat Healers, Warriors, Rangers (Scouts), Soldiers, Wizards.

- Will make group play the norm not the exception.

- Crafting

- The Vassal function that will allow internal faction alignments to Noble Lords. A faction element within your own overall faction. These factions can also compete for resources in the world.

- Real economy, with limited resources being produced and fought over.

My Game would NOT include

- Mindless Grinding