Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype boost?

Comments

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by Wizardry
    I don't blame them,gamer's are desperate for something good to come out.It is really amazing that we still see a ton of games coming out all doing the exact same thing  some close to as good or not nearly as good.I don't understand these developers at all,this market is heavily saturated and even the free to play gimmick is over saturated,they are going to need more than the same old to entice gamer's.I guess it is like the FB gaming craze,they see a few success stories and everyone wants in,or like the music industry a few success stories and millions of filler labels and artists.A lot of it has to do with very savvy businessmen that can talk investors into giving them money to build an automatic hot dog relish applicator.I expect there will always be investors willing to lose money,i guess easier than giving it to the government.I have watched SOE's direction in game development and i have not seen one indication they can think out side the box,just more same old ,day after day.I expect nothing new from NEXT.

SOE has dropped the ball in the past. SOE has also hit some home runs as well. Its like any type of success, once you get a taste you want more. I think SOE is due for a home run. Lets see how it plays out in the coming months.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Palebane
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by Sinent
    I have always been a fan of eq however soe .. not so much but lets see what they do god only knows they have the will will they keep true to original eq or will they go in a 3rd direction probably both because lets face it no kids today would ever enjoy eq as it used to be

Its not the Kids that drive the market so who cares if they would enjoy it=)

The biggest market is the 21-35 market.

The 21-35 crowd may be the majority, but i believe everything is built for and marketed to the new generation. It's always been that way. Cigarettes, cars, toys, video games, movies, etc etc.

This may actually be the real problem they keep making these games for the kids, when its the 30-50 year olds that have the money to spend on them. 

I

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by achesoma

It's just people manipulating the hype meters.  Nothing new here.

I can't believe people STILL put faith into what Smedley says after all these years.  All he had to do was say "sandbox" and these forums went ape shit. 

How is voting 'manipulating the hype meter'?

Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Arcona

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/28/soe-on-f2p-philosophy-and-everquest-next-silence/

When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

Just like how Craptic wanted Neverwitner "done right"?  Secrecy internal huh?.... sounds like Neverwinter all over again with how their atrocious PR work was done for the game.

This is what you call false equivalence.

Originally posted by superguitardude

Judging by what we know about it, how is it worthy of getting more hype than Pathfinder Online and Camelot Unchained?

Smedley sure knows how to lure 'em.

Because those two are small IPs and Kickstarter projects. EQ Next is a well known IP and the first sandbox developed on an AAA budget.

• TheRealFantomexTheRealFantomex Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by remyburke

Because MMO fans have reached the low point of resting its hopes and dreams on things we can not yet see. There is no way to be disappointed. 

I'm looking forward to it, because my first love was EQ1 and I love sandbox games. We'll see how it pans out. Personally, I remain cautiously optimistic for some reason. Apparently, all Smedley had to do was wink and show me a little leg....I'm such an MMO slut.....

Because WoW is what 95% of people currently playing MMOs started and grew up with and never had the experience that some of us did with games like Everquest. That is why they have reached a low point. And to try to convince them otherwise is incredibly difficult because they take one look at Everquest now and detest the graphics and interface and with the server pops the way they are, never get to see the community side.

I would bet for those that loved Everquest, this will be an amazing experience.

EverQuest Nexus - http://www.eqnexus.com
    Head of Social Media and part time writer/interviewer.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Really the hype meter is based 1% off actual hype with a 1% margin of error.  25% vote bot or cheerleading votes ( I vote the game im playing as 10 and its competition as 1)  and the rest I think is based off income, the site owners rolling a slot machine loaded up with their listed games and a bit of voodoo.

Its a shame they don't rank games based on unique forum activity (which would really indicate hype and popularity imo) making sure not to count official community liaisons who seem to be the only active posters in some game forums spamming it up with non factor events in games and guilds spamming desperately for members.

It all wouldn't be so bad if a majority of the games on this site weren't ranked in the several years they have been on the site making it hard to find games I might be into...topped off with only 1 out of 20 new game entries actually being mmorpgs and the majority being browser RTS games and moba attempt #1929423

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Brunio
    Originally posted by Blackaddera
    Originally posted by Raagnarz
    It is hyped because it deserves to be. The original in the franchise is one of the MMO's that made all MMO's possible. On top of that it was announced they they are doing something that is not usually done by AAA titles, a sandbox. When you take one of the most well known franchises, make a sequel, and also deviate it from the norm of crappy wow clones then you get tons of hype.  If you ask me its quite deserved.

Again no data whatsoever to support your statement. It's all reputation from previous games. Reminds you of anything? Yeah first parts of movies that made the follow-ups all rep and nothing else. I'm sorry but I can't in no good consious rate a game that didn't release a thing as top. 

Data?

Gamers always want something new to blow them away and provide limitless hour of entertainment.

EQ Next is going to be a Sandbox. That is why its getting all the hype. Most gamers I know don't even know what that is unless they played SWG or attempted to play EvE.

As to Previous games giving rep........what? EQ1 was great, but EQ2 Lost to WoW. If anything EQ Next has more to prove from sharing the title imo.

The movie thing....lets say EQ1 + 2 are movies 1 and 2. Well EQ Next is more like a Book. Sandbox games are quite different from theme parks. The lore may be the same, but the playstyle is much different.

Not gonna call this game Great or get GooGoo eyes every time I read stuff about it, but EQ Next is definitely worth keeping an eye on and I think the community is simply starting to understand that.

Hype boost is simply hopeful gamers. Looking at other titles coming out I can see why. Its either rehashed stuff with more goodies or a single player game trying to be an MMO. They could all be well and good, but EQ Next is the only thing I've read about that makes me want to really keep up with it.

And how do you even know something new has been added? There is no DATA on the game. ATM the game is just a title nothing more.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Just became available to hype, its how things work around here, it happens all the time.

Do you think if Blizzard said they were going to be revealing Titan in less than 2 months and it was available to hype, people would not be hyping it?

We will all have to wait and see.

Why did I hype it?  NOTHING else seems to be all that great that is releasing soon for me, so I am taking a flyer and hope it is good....Last I checked people on this site did not need other users permission to vote.

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36

it can only be over hyped so far, it had next to no solid info on it so far, so someone like me is only basing hype on enjoying SOE games in the past.

you will see it drop alot in August, when people see it, if Smed kept  his promise for once, wont be a EQ/EQ2 clone at all - even though Im certain alot will claim it is alone based on there will be classes and there will be raids, so much have been revealed.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Am I the only EQ, EQOA fan that thought EQ2 sucked balls?

I thought EQN was supposed to be like an apology for EQ2, just sayin'.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Nope. There was a lot I didn't like about EQ2. The first thing I disliked when I played it was the fact I had to start my wood elf in Qeynos. The second thing I realized I disliked was the locked combat. The list grew the more I played it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Hype is a measure of excitement and anticipation, NOT a measure of quality or observation.

Truth.

Sadly one would expect people to base that excitement on at least some observations, but alas.

Furthermore though, the hype meter here is an average, so you always get a number of people who hand out 10's to drive scores upwards when a new game gets available on it. Even some obscure games end up on top now and then.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Thebrave246
    Over hyped? No it's not, it's the only MMORPG that's really deserves a hype this high IMO. I am a long time EQ, EQOA, EQ2 player and EQ is the foundation of MMORPGS.

Exactly, if you are a non EQ vet then you will not understand the pull this EQ has.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

EQ2 is a pretty decent mmo compared to the current crop but it was never the successor to EQ. EQ2 has a lot of really good features, housing being the best there is in any mmo out at the moment being one of then.

Most diverse races and classes, only Vanguard comes near, pretty good crafting system and has more content than most if not all mmo out today. EQN will finally take us back home to Norrath, for me it will be the last stop on my mmo journey, if it doesn't happen with EQN then it's goodbye.

• AktionT4AktionT4 Member Posts: 3

Name recognition alone - along with Domino and Smedley being active probably has a lot to do with the hype boost.

Everquest Next Nexus Fansite
    http://www.eqnexus.com/

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I pre ordered EQ2 just because it had the letters E and Q .

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Thebrave246 Over hyped? No it's not, it's the only MMORPG that's really deserves a hype this high IMO. I am a long time EQ, EQOA, EQ2 player and EQ is the foundation of MMORPGS.
    Exactly, if you are a non EQ vet then you will not understand the pull this EQ has.

LOL very well said.. They didnt call it EverCrack for nothing.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I wasn't a big EQ2 fan,nor a WoW fan, so I was without a home for a little bit, went back to UO I think for a while.

I wasn't thrilled with EQ2 having the same zones and such, it kind of left some of the wonder out of it, I knew the world already, and I do not think it played great on the cpus I had at the time either.  To me it almost felt like starting EQ over again ( without the wonder and very different), so mentally maybe I had something against it too?  Who knows.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

It's hyped because it's a third incarnation of what many hundreds of thousands if not millions of people have considered the Best MMO ever made...and also the second oldest and first extremely successful.

Don't compare it to SWTOR because they were completely different animals..SWTOR was bioware's first mmo, there was basis for what to expect. 

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by remyburke

Because MMO fans have reached the low point of resting its hopes and dreams on things we can not yet see. There is no way to be disappointed.

Really..!? You think theres no way people could be disappointed? image

People on this site cant even agree on what actually MAKES a game a sandbox. I think this will turn really ugly before its over, since everyone is already painting detailed stuff in their heads. Theres no way this will be what everyone expects and dreams about.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by MondoA2J
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    Top rated game in development all of a sudden. Did any info come out or what?

Over hyped. Getting a SWTOR vibe from this entire thing.

No info/no screens nothing...just people blowing hot air.

Meh, that's the internet in a nutshell though.

Jesus! you've started already.

The wow fanboi hate train has moved on to the next mmo release station. I gues they are all bitter that vapourware titan got push back again. I am sure blizzard will just copy Everquest next anyway it's what blizzard do best.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I wont hype this until I see evidence that its hype worthy and honestly I dont believe anything out of the collective mouths at SOE. But I still hope in one hand...
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

. Getting a SWTOR vibe from this entire thing.

getting a SWG sandbox vibe from this entire thing.

:)

finally a new Sony MMO to be excited about. Too bad it's not SWG2

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The wow fanboi hate train has moved on to the next mmo release station. I gues they are all bitter that vapourware titan got push back again. I am sure blizzard will just copy Everquest next anyway it's what blizzard do best.

So according to you everyone that doesn't agree with the big hype of EQN without even one shred of evidence about the game is a wow fanboi? How complacent are you?

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

Originally posted by Blackaddera
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

So according to you everyone that doesn't agree with the big hype of EQN without even one shred of evidence about the game is a wow fanboi? How complacent are you?

The big hyped? hardly people are looking forward to the game game and bitters like you like to say its overhyped to just be a buzz kill. People do it for every game on here. Miserable bunch.