Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the hype boost?

CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
Top rated game in development all of a sudden. Did any info come out or what?

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Comments

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    It's only recently become available to hype.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Caldicot

Over hyped. Getting a SWTOR vibe from this entire thing.

No info/no screens nothing...just people blowing hot air.

Meh, that's the internet in a nutshell though.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    Over hyped? No it's not, it's the only MMORPG that's really deserves a hype this high IMO. I am a long time EQ, EQOA, EQ2 player and EQ is the foundation of MMORPGS.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

You think this is something?   Wait until this Camelot Unchained bomb lands.  Maybe you will get a duck as a thank you gift. 

Quack! Quack!

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    How can you over hype the next installment of one of, or IMO the best mmo ever. Its name alone is going to build hype. And if they dont deliver it will be one of the biggest let downs in mmo history.  The hype meter for this is thru the roof without fanbois or any other people helping to hype it. Expectations for this game are  on a grand scale no hype needed.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

There was a teaser type screen released yesterday. Didn't show a whole lot but whatever, I am excited for this game.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    smed tweeted a picture of a sandbox
  • ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98
     Ya know how it is. If it's not WoW it's not worth the hype. Got everything crossed for EQ-N. Let the hype fun-fest begin ;)

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

SWTOR? We had 3 yrs of solid pre launch hype for that, and nothing for EQN so far,  ESO gives me a SWTOR feel, but that was due to all IP inspired hype and clueless devs (and boring art style). In this case we have a more experienced team, and a tried and tested IP at least, and as a alleged sandbox it wont have the same feel or focus whether good or bad.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

As someone whom detests Everquest (in all its forms), I can say it does deserve the hype. Objectively it's an historic franchise that has no information on it. The kind of stuff marketing people (i'm one) like because it allows the fanbase to spread as many rumors and talk to their hearts content.  Plus, E3 s this weekend, which means that there's going to be some information about it. 

Their also boasting a grand claim, one that their fanbase has been clammering to hear.  

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Even trying to compare swtor to everquest anything shows your lack of knowledge on mmo`s. While i do agree it is too early to.debate anything about eq next yet.....it.will more then likely be the best mmo released latley.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Because MMO fans have reached the low point of resting its hopes and dreams on things we can not yet see. There is no way to be disappointed. 

I'm looking forward to it, because my first love was EQ1 and I love sandbox games. We'll see how it pans out. Personally, I remain cautiously optimistic for some reason. Apparently, all Smedley had to do was wink and show me a little leg....I'm such an MMO slut.....

Joined - July 2004

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    smed tweeted a picture of a sandbox

lol, this is what he tweeted

https://twitter.com/j_smedley

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Damage99

^^^ This one.  It'll balance out in a while most likely.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327

Or maybe the really want to make sure Blizzard dosen't get any info and crush them again like with EQ2?

• BlackadderaBlackaddera Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Damage99

^^^ This one.  It'll balance out in a while most likely.

Doesn't seem like it. The EQN rating consistintly goes up and all the others go down. seems like manipulation to me.

the steel shines red with enemy blood. It sings of victory, granted by the gods. And as they return bleeding but proud, the horizon burns and the song is ringing LOUD!

• xenomonk123xenomonk123 Member Posts: 15
    Game looks terrible, sorry nerds but it looks like you will be playing a piece of F2P SOE garbage if you want to play EQ. Lol!
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

It's just people manipulating the hype meters.  Nothing new here.

I can't believe people STILL put faith into what Smedley says after all these years.  All he had to do was say "sandbox" and these forums went ape shit. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Really?  Even with a proven track record of EQ and EQ2 which are MMO's.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by TheJoda

Even trying to compare swtor to everquest anything shows your lack of knowledge on mmo`s. While i do agree it is too early to.debate anything about eq next yet.....it.will more then likely be the best mmo released latley.

^

This!

Gee did I step on someones toes?

This escalated quickly lmao! Yes, obviously cause I am not so super uber excited about EQNext, I obviously must know nothing of MMOs. Congratulations you have unmasked me.

Now thats over. I never said EQ didn't have any grand importance in MMO history. Being a Foundation? I don't know about that...technically MUDs have that claim but whatever I don't know nothing of MMOs. (Thanks for revealing me btw so much stress has now lifted from my shoulders!)

Also a tweeted picture of a monitor isn't info its a NOTHING. Can I do the same thing with my cat and say I have an MMO coming out?

I didn't say the game was going to be awful or hell that I wasn't interested in seeing what it has to offer but felt  that perhaps people were going into this with expectations too high aka SWTOR! Hope that is clarified. 

Hopefully we will see more at E3.

Don't get  all your panties in a twist lmao

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/28/soe-on-f2p-philosophy-and-everquest-next-silence/

When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Same reason why CU was all of a sudden top of the hype meter even though everything was complete speculation or rough ideals or how it was completely unheard of before by most.  Which in the end the game barely made it's KS quota, 10% over the quota I call a pretty close call.

People want their wet dream MMO and cater to any new MMO that's in developement or just announced.  And in the end the reality of the game will be far from what many wanted and people will QQ rage.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Arcona

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/28/soe-on-f2p-philosophy-and-everquest-next-silence/

When asked about it, Smedley indicated that EverQuest Next would hew to F2P as well. He also said players shouldn't worry that they haven't heard much about this new title because the secrecy is intentional. "We want to get it right," Smedley said. "That's the pillar of our company and we are going to get it right. We're also making the next generation of MMOs, not an evolution -- and everyone says that, but in this case, we're zigging every other company's zag. Everybody's making WoW 1.5. We're doing something else."

Just like how Craptic wanted Neverwitner "done right"?  Secrecy internal huh?.... sounds like Neverwinter all over again with how their atrocious PR work was done for the game.

• Asmiroth20Asmiroth20 Member Posts: 346
    It's 2013 and people still believe in SOE?  I thought I was delusional...  Also every time that Smedley's name is mention, I want to spit.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Just understand SOE has an entire department dedicated to Viral Marketing.

They learned from blizzard a viral marketing staff is crucial to a successful money grab.