Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online: Cryptic North Studio Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios have announced the formation of "Cryptic North", a new studio located in Seattle, Washington and headed by former Flying Lab Software's Russell Williams. The new studio will assist Cryptic in support of its MMOs including Champions Online, Neverwinter and Star Trek Online.

Currently, Williams and the Cryptic North team are working closely with Cryptic Studios on the continuing development of the highly-acclaimed super-hero MMORPG, Champions Online,as well as supporting efforts on both Star Trek Online and Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter.Based in downtown Seattle, Cryptic North is well-poised to take advantage of the rich talent pool of Seattle's development community.

Read more on PR Newswire.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

It's interesting to note that Cryptic North is in the same area as Runic Games, another PWE studio.

Is it possible that Cryptic North has been created with the long-term goal of taking the Torchlight franchise into the MMO space? Runic have said they have no immediate intentions of doing so, but that does not mean that their parent - PWE - agree. Could it be that Runic Games will be moving on to pastures new, and Cryptic North will be taking on the task of Torchlight Online?

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

It's interesting to note that Cryptic North is in the same area as Runic Games, another PWE studio.

Is it possible that Cryptic North has been created with the long-term goal of taking the Torchlight franchise into the MMO space? Runic have said they have no immediate intentions of doing so, but that does not mean that their parent - PWE - agree. Could it be that Runic Games will be moving on to pastures new, and Cryptic North will be taking on the task of Torchlight Online?

I hope not. I'd rather Runic keep doing what they're doing than see Cryptic butcher a Torchlight MMO.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    So you guys don't want to see the the Path of Exile/Torchlight baby that would be the result?
  • ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I'm glad that CO is finally getting some love, ill go back if they update it with some worthwhile content.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

^ This just when you thought Cryptic had run out of IP's to ruin , they find one. This is exactly what it means.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Please leave Runic alone!  DONT SPREAD THE INFECTION!
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Kabaal

I hope not. I'd rather Runic keep doing what they're doing than see Cryptic butcher a Torchlight MMO.

Apparantly you missed the part in the post where it states that Cryptic North is primarily a support company - as in maintenace of servers, GMs, etc. 

We already knew that while RUnic would develop TorchMMO and make all the decisions, it would be PWE who would run the servers.  This fits the bill.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• CaptFabulousCaptFabulous Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Apparantly you missed the part in the post where it states that Cryptic North is primarily a support company - as in maintenace of servers, GMs, etc. 

Well it sounds like they are taking an active part in Champions development and a support role for STO and Neverwinter. So funny I'm reading this today because just last night I was in a discussion with some some fleetmates about how Champions was on life support -- that PWE stripped the title of all its talent to work on STO and Neverwinter, leaving a skeleton dev team that has no ability to create new content, only bits and pieces of fluff to sell in the cash shop. So I think it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I always liked Champions and thought it had great potential. PWE kinda staked it when their mandatory F2P changes were implemented, taking what was already a confusing and complex character-building game and making it even more of a giant headache. And like I said, add tons of useless crap to the cash shop without adding any new substantial content. I stopped playing a long time ago, when instead of new content it desperately needs we got vehicles, something I don't think more than like 20 people wanted.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    cryptic was not all bad; however, since PWE got involved it all seems to of went to crap, meaning....cash shops all over, buying. Keys too open mob dropped loot, and all other sorts of greed in game design. Take neverwinter for example....look at all the issues in open btea,.but yet they are taking players money no problem.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    If all of the above is true, this means Champions development is done.  That game had great potential, but the lack of content updates and all of the new items being focused on generating money for the game meant they didn't care about making it fun.