Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

! am Done paying for..

2»

Comments

• CapitatCapitat Member Posts: 7

It is getting out of hand, its because its all so mainstream to play video games now. I haven't bought a game in years other than some of the Indie games I really like because it just isn't worth it. Plenty of great free to play games.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

You guys are missing a huge part of my complaint.

Sure I spend too much on video games that is a given.

However I can afford it and would gladly pay this much or even more on quality games with reputable customer support, and game developers that actually cared about the " virtual world " they were creating.

My biggest issue and what I personally see as what is destroying the games is the FREE GAMERS, those players that are not invested in the game or community so they do not give a damn how they act.

So what if they get their account banned they do not care because they have nothing to lose, no box sale, no subscription lost. 

If these people get banned they laugh and wear it like a medal while they make a new account and try and act even worse.

My issue is that I am sick of paying so that the  worthless, ungrateful. leeches and locusts out there can have a FREE game to destroy before they move on to the next one and do it again.

I am sick of the outright credit card fraud these game hosts are committing by selling us a business model of box sales and subscription fee game, only to turn around 6 months or a year later and convert it to a F2P, totally screwing over the customers that paid for a different product. 

I am so sick of the masses of the totally worthless entitled people out there that think having free video games to play is their right.

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by psiic

You guys are missing a huge part of my complaint.

Sure I spend too much on video games that is a given.

However I can afford it and would gladly pay this much or even more on quality games with reputable customer support, and game developers that actually cared about the " virtual world " they were creating.

My biggest issue and what I personally see as what is destroying the games is the FREE GAMERS, those players that are not invested in the game or community so they do not give a damn how they act.

So what if they get their account banned they do not care because they have nothing to lose, no box sale, no subscription lost. 

If these people get banned they laugh and wear it like a medal while they make a new account and try and act even worse.

My issue is that I am sick of paying so that the  worthless, ungrateful. leeches and locusts out there can have a FREE game to destroy before they move on to the next one and do it again.

I am sick of the outright credit card fraud these game hosts are committing by selling us a business model of box sales and subscription fee game, only to turn around 6 months or a year later and convert it to a F2P, totally screwing over the customers that paid for a different product. 

I am so sick of the masses of the totally worthless entitled people out there that think having free video games to play is their right.

If that's the case, then you need to realize that you cannot control what others do around you. Part of being social is understanding that you will not like or agree with everything that people do around you.

So, If you aren't able to tolerate the people and games you socialize in - then I agree. You shouldn't be a part of them anymore. Whether you realize it or not, even though the majority of this site would agree with what you are saying - the majority of the player base does not.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by PieRad
    Originally posted by zimboy69

um  I just don't know what to say to this  other than they must see you coming .

20k a  year on games seriously   you need to get a life 

i don't think i could even find 1k worth of games to buy  every month and then have the time to play them all

this  has to be a joke

It's alright to be jealous mate.. And assuming he really does have 20k to spend on games alone, per year.... This man probably have a life, and a rich one too.

And he didn't buy games for all that cash, he spend it in f2p games / founder packs / Item shops.

Way to defend something you know nothing about.

Think it through for a bit: 1700 bucks each and every month. Now assume he actually plays with what he buys. What rich life?

Offcourse, we're assuming as well. He might be the guy that buys everything he sees and throws it into the corner because THE NEXT THING IS FOR SALE WOOHOOO!

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I agree the greed has become dicusting.

Currently im playing marvel heroes only.Ill see how this goes.

If it proves another greedy game im done as well

Originally posted by BizkitNL

um  I just don't know what to say to this  other than they must see you coming .

i don't think i could even find 1k worth of games to buy  every month and then have the time to play them all

this  has to be a joke

It's alright to be jealous mate.. And assuming he really does have 20k to spend on games alone, per year.... This man probably have a life, and a rich one too.

And he didn't buy games for all that cash, he spend it in f2p games / founder packs / Item shops.

Think it through for a bit: 1700 bucks each and every month. Now assume he actually plays with what he buys. What rich life?

Offcourse, we're assuming as well. He might be the guy that buys everything he sees and throws it into the corner because THE NEXT THING IS FOR SALE WOOHOOO!

Guilty as charged. I usually buy at least 3 CE's of a game I like so that friends or family can play with me when they want. 

What really nailed me this past year and drove my spending so high is kickstarter. 

I got sucked into kickstarter way too hard and admit it is just a huge temptation for me everytime I browse the game section.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

this  has to be a joke

Guilty as charged. I usually buy at least 3 CE's of a game I like so that friends or family can play with me when they want. 

What really nailed me this past year and drove my spending so high is kickstarter. 

I got sucked into kickstarter way too hard and admit it is just a huge temptation for me everytime I browse the game section.

God, that is so true. I have to fight my urge to "donate" everytime I peek on the site :).

this  has to be a joke

God, that is so true. I have to fight my urge to "donate" everytime I peek on the site :).

Really sad part to me is that of the 14 projects I have backed some who have achieved funding over a year ago, not one of them is even in beta yet.

I mean hell if they wanna give us a bonus stretch goal, how bout make it getting the game into beta in a timely manner?

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Really 20k a year on games? that is utterly insane.. are you strapped to your computer or something..

Don't get me wrong i hate the shitty DLC and f2p culture in in MMOs but how on earth can you spend 20k a year on games.

I mean even if i was super rich i still would not spend 20k a year on gaming lol

even if I didn't have a job I wouldn't find the time to play 20k worth of games a year.  this cant be real.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    nvm

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i think the right move is to wisely research where you are going to spend your money, rather than just laying down a blanket of yes and no rules.  Work smarter, not harder, the old saying, applies to the "work" your wallet does as well.

as for me i dont spend quite that much, but it's an important hobby for me and i completely hear ya when it comes to not wanting to spend your funds on garbage.

and might i suggest something along the lines of wargaming (warhammer or warmachine) as something you can do that will keep alive the gaming aspect while simultaneously get your eyes off the screen for a coupla hours a day :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    This is the future of games. People spending 10K+ on a single game will not be unheard of. They will try to suck as much from you as they can in the shortest amount of time possible. As soon as the industry gets around legal barriers you can expect to see all kinds of gimmicks implemented into games that appear fun but are really only there to drain your funds. They will be much more cleverly disguised than free to play gimmicks. Expect to see headlines about people killing themselves over how much they've spent in a virtual game.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Whenever I want to buy something in the cash shop I consider it really hard then wait till tomorrow. If i still want it tomorrow I'll buy it. If I don't even think about it then just keep gaming.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

So an idiot who cannot control his spending habits is lecturing us on the value of games in the present? I'd look closer to home and sort your problems out first before you come telling the world that games companies are this, that and the other. You are bitching because you have a spending problem and not because you have any sort of real argument.  

Responsibility is on the person to control himself/herself and companies can charge what ever they want you don't have to pay it.

Though in saying that are companies really greedy and are we paying too much for our games?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

http://www.1up.com/news/90s-game-price-comparison-charticle

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Though in saying that are companies really greedy and are we paying too much for our games?

"Paying too much" (for anything) is entirely relative to the individual, isn't it?

Good thing, too. On this basis all luxury markets exist.

Is gaming not a luxury market? You certainly can't rate it a necessity market.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DeathsdollDeathsdoll Member UncommonPosts: 3

I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k. 

However due to the fact that game developers as crooks and thieves has now become the rule rather than the exception, I have made a personal choice to curb my game purchases going forward drastically.

I am done with companies that have moved from selling us a 30 or 40 hour game for $60 to selling us a 10 hour game for $90-120 then selling us 3 5-10 hour dlc's for $20-50 each until we have gotten the same game we use to get as a single game.

I am totally and completely done with F2P games that sell these $200-300 founder packs. ( especially ones  asking the fans to please support them, then turn around a few days before launch and offer the same pack for less than half the original price and refuse to allow the fans and early long time supports to have the same value. )

I am completely done with games with item malls ( unless it is ONLY cosmetic items )

If a game studio needs to charge $20, $25, even $30 a month subscription to provide the players and fans a fair and level playing field then fine charge that and we will pay it, but I am done paying $400, $500, $1000 so 100k F2P players, that dont give a rats ass about the game or community can come in and ruin the game with bad attitude and exploiting.

They have invested no money into the game so they act however badly they want and do whatever they want with nothing to lose.

Yet, players like me who spend to support the games and the community  are treated like shit by the companies we are supporting, and if we get angry or make a complaint we get banned and lose the $400,$500.$1000 we have invested.

Personally I find what the industry has become to be disgusting, dishonest, and reprehensible.

I see your point but sadly this is going to go over the heads of many haters as they are stuck on how much money u have to spend and how u spend it lmao. Men spend mill. on cars they my park and look at and never drive and thats ok lol. Like I said got your point hun :)

"Opinions Are Like Azz Holes, Everyone Has One and Some Peoples are One"...

DeathsDoll

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Great post, Calerxes. I totally agree!

Within the last decade, computer games became more and more polished in terms of quality. Of course there are several games a year that can be considered low quality products, but it is the customers decision wether to buy or not to buy.

I occasionally buy games when Steam offers special sales for roundabout 10€ a game. Games that I really love are preordered or bought when they release - thats probably 2-3 games a year. All in all I buy roundabout 10-15 games a year (depending on the titles) for approx 200-300€ and I absolutely do not manage to play them all through. I really wonder how the topic starter manages to burn 20,000$. Thats over 400 full price games per year, meaning 2 games to play per day - happy albino life, I'd say. ;)

I think the only problem here are all these free2play titles out there. The topic starter said something about founders packs. Reminds me of STO/NWO packs. I consider them a rip off, too. Especially when considering all the marketing lies: "Last chance for pack XYZ. Buy quick!!!!!!1111eleven" ... 1 month later. Same pack, same name, new deadline.

However, I do not think that there are only bad games out there. You simply have to carefully consider what game to buy and what game to avoid.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Calerxes

"Paying too much" (for anything) is entirely relative to the individual, isn't it?

Good thing, too. On this basis all luxury markets exist.

Is gaming not a luxury market? You certainly can't rate it a necessity market.

In real monetary terms the links suggest we are actually paying less for our games but many people posting on this site feel we are paying disgustingly more, ah! the wonders of perception without research. Are we getting value well thats in the eye or wallet of the beholder as you point out.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

I spend an insane amount of video games every year, not going to be specific but over 20k.  However due to the fact that game developers as crooks and thieves has now become the rule rather than the exception, I have made a personal choice to curb my game purchases going forward drastically. I am done with companies that have moved from selling us a 30 or 40 hour game for $60 to selling us a 10 hour game for $90-120 then selling us 3 5-10 hour dlc's for $20-50 each until we have gotten the same game we use to get as a single game. I am totally and completely done with F2P games that sell these $200-300 founder packs. ( especially ones  asking the fans to please support them, then turn around a few days before launch and offer the same pack for less than half the original price and refuse to allow the fans and early long time supports to have the same value. ) I am completely done with games with item malls ( unless it is ONLY cosmetic items ) If a game studio needs to charge $20, $25, even $30 a month subscription to provide the players and fans a fair and level playing field then fine charge that and we will pay it, but I am done paying $400, $500, $1000 so 100k F2P players, that dont give a rats ass about the game or community can come in and ruin the game with bad attitude and exploiting.They have invested no money into the game so they act however badly they want and do whatever they want with nothing to lose.Yet, players like me who spend to support the games and the community  are treated like shit by the companies we are supporting, and if we get angry or make a complaint we get banned and lose the $400,$500.$1000 we have invested. Personally I find what the industry has become to be disgusting, dishonest, and reprehensible.   

You're the reason f2p model makes more money. Congrats for funding games for me to play for free while you complain because of au tion house exploits, I just keep playing through the content then move on.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

However due to the fact that game developers as crooks and thieves has now become the rule rather than the exception, I have made a personal choice to curb my game purchases going forward drastically.

I am done with companies that have moved from selling us a 30 or 40 hour game for $60 to selling us a 10 hour game for $90-120 then selling us 3 5-10 hour dlc's for $20-50 each until we have gotten the same game we use to get as a single game.

I am totally and completely done with F2P games that sell these $200-300 founder packs. ( especially ones  asking the fans to please support them, then turn around a few days before launch and offer the same pack for less than half the original price and refuse to allow the fans and early long time supports to have the same value. )

I am completely done with games with item malls ( unless it is ONLY cosmetic items )

If a game studio needs to charge $20, $25, even $30 a month subscription to provide the players and fans a fair and level playing field then fine charge that and we will pay it, but I am done paying $400, $500, $1000 so 100k F2P players, that dont give a rats ass about the game or community can come in and ruin the game with bad attitude and exploiting.

They have invested no money into the game so they act however badly they want and do whatever they want with nothing to lose.

Yet, players like me who spend to support the games and the community  are treated like shit by the companies we are supporting, and if we get angry or make a complaint we get banned and lose the $400,$500.$1000 we have invested.

Personally I find what the industry has become to be disgusting, dishonest, and reprehensible.

First time i starting to hear about DLC/CASHSHOPS was around 2006 i think and already desided never spent one dime on DLC or Cashshops and gues what i never spent one dime on DLC and Cashshops hurray so i play mmo's sinds 1999 and never spent 1 euro cent on those two up untill 11-06-2013 and in next 15 years also no eurocent spent.

Would have spare you alot of money not wasted hehe.