Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN vs WildStar : Poll

Comments

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    There is no info on EQN so as far as I know the game doesnt exist yet. It winning the poll really shows what sheep mmo gamers are. I can't wait for the day that an actual EQN anouncement and reveal comes and it turns out its an iOS exclusive.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    i voted neither of the above, simply because i don't see either EQN or Wildstar being all that successful, certainly neither one has the potential to be a #1 MMO,  though i wouldnt rule out either of them making it into the top 10 MMO's its also not impossible that they'd miss that target too, Wildstar looks too much of a gimmicky theme park and EQN is by Sony, and the EQ franchise has been in decline for years, turning that one around will probably take a small miracle, or maybe a large one, personally i don't have any confidence in their ability to do so. There are plenty of other titles upcoming that have more chance imo. image
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Man oh Man you people drooling all over this are going to be in for a shock.

The game engine they are building this thing on is HORRIBLE.   

Can't wait until I hear the cries of people on the forums when  they have more then 100 people in a area doing anything and lagging their butts off.  

They better make sure they make PVP instanced because if they don't this game will be a wreck. 

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by McSire
    Haha, more people bashing Wildstar saying it looks terrible bad etc. That's why it's #2 rated MMO in development right? Always makes me facepalm when I see people harshly hating on a game before it's even out.

Quite easily to understand actually....

Many people get turned of by graphics that looks like a cartoon since it makes it hard for them get a immersive feeling and realism is also a factor for many. So now wonders that people hate the looks of it and therefor ignore the game.

I myself are one of those that enjoy a game more if it's graphics is realistic since it makes it easier for me to get "into" that world and embrace the feeling the devs are trying to give me.

However I am also not that hardcore that a reject a game by it's graphics only, even if it's a huge turnoff. So for example when it comes to Wildstar I will actually give it a chance too, and that's because to me gameplay triumphs graphics every single day and Wildstar actually have something that looks appealing to me.

Now give me a realistic looking game with amazing gameplay and then I will easily choose that over Wildstar.

So YES, the look of a game is a huge factor to many, and Wildstar are not at the #2 spot for it's graphics but for it's unique and interesting gameplay.

*Edit - I just had to say that I would dearly see a revamped implementation of the OLD EQ. Same zones, same bosses and same monsters, same quests etc etc... then add some new things to the world and some new monsters. This world with updated graphics and some minor changes would easily have me to subscribe... just to be able to experience Castle Crushbone again and enjoy the nostalgy would be blast.

Another thing developers need to do to be able to survive these days are to increase the time it takes for a player to lvl up. It should take at least a year to reach maxlvl, since I firmly believe there are not many companies that are able to create content so fast that they can keep up the interest of their players for a long time as it is now. By making it taking long time to reach max lvl they also give themself longer time to create new content. The big thing here though is during that lvling up you need to have alot of carrots these days of which I will call minidings, which basically are small upgrades to your character during the lvling up, so that the long time between the full lvls doesn't feel that long since you get some incentives all the time to progress into your current lvl.

/E

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Coated

I put EQN, simply because I know nothing about it.

I know Wildstar won't be a contender. It's graphics and story have already put off a lot of people. It may be good, but it won't be amazing.

I think Coated is a perfect example of whats wrong with the vocal minority.  Hell, Coated is a perfect example of why polls like this fail, why sites like metacritic shouldn't be trusted, and why hype meters on MMORPG are so bad.  Somebody who admits knowing nothing about EQN prefers it over Wildstar because wildstar's 'graphics and story have already put off a lot of people'.

I honestly hope this guy never writes a review for anything.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Grailer

2 big AAA MMORPG's coming out soon .

Both heavyweight contenders for the title of #1 MMORPG .

I do not see Wildstar as a contendor for anything..

best wow clone?

got to be better than SWTOR and all them asian clones like perfect world

might possibly be better than rift.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Can't wait until I hear the cries of people on the forums when  they have more then 100 people in a area doing anything and lagging their butts off.  

They better make sure they make PVP instanced because if they don't this game will be a wreck. 

EQN or Wildstar?

because EQNs engine already exists and can handle 2000 players in a zone with full real time combat.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

The poll is posted in EQNext forums what did you expect ? Post again in Wildstar forums you will get the exact opposite answers you just got here ... 

Short answer : you cant compare WS with EQN simply because they are too different in nature. One will be a Themepark with eavy focus on endgame, the other a sandbox with ( as all sandboxes are ) a heavy focus on PvP... 

Edit: to people bashing cartoon graphics, just realize that realistic graphics end up looking like wierd plastic 99% of the time, lets hope EqN is the 1% right ?

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by Tinybina

EQN or Wildstar?

because EQNs engine already exists and can handle 2000 players in a zone with full real time combat.

Heh! If the guy means EQN, he/she has most likely not watched or played Planetside 2 much, or at all... :)

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Both games can be good but since I don't see either game keeping 5 million players I have to go with neither. WoW is going to keep that crown for another expansion and then its up for grabs.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

/sarcasm

This kind of thinking is why there is so much hate in our community. People disregard that you can play multiple games. People also seem to think that if a game is not for them, no one else could like it...or at the very least, those who like this "horrible" game must be noobs, casuals, carebears, (insert new hipster mmo phrase here).

Gamers are what's wrong with this industry.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    I would be FAR more interested in Wildstar if it didn't look like a blocky children's cartoon.

^ this +100.   I cannot understand this WoW'ish looking game.  It is WoW in space, period!  I mean even the quest holdering NPC have ! above their heads.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• superguitardudesuperguitardude Member Posts: 30

I'll just ignore the fools that QQ about the graphics in WildStar. I really like what they are doing with the art style and humour. It reminds me of Ratchet & Clank . Finally, we get to play an MMO that doesn't take itself too seriously. I honestly can't stand too much realism in games these days. It gets old and dull pretty fast.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    didnt vote -- why do we need a king of the hill ?
    Originally posted by superguitardude

I'll just ignore the fools that QQ about the graphics in WildStar. I really like what they are doing with the art style and humour. It reminds me of Ratchet & Clank . Finally, we get to play an MMO that doesn't take itself too seriously. I honestly can't stand too much realism in games these days. It gets old and dull pretty fast.

True, people complained the exact same thing about the graphics in SW;TOR also, and pretty much for the exact same reasons, and yet that game went on to be a huge success, so that showed them.image

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Wildstar is just another themepark been there do that mmorpg, Everquest next sounds like it could be straying from the old formula.
    Originally posted by Phry

True, people complained the exact same thing about the graphics in SW;TOR also, and pretty much for the exact same reasons, and yet that game went on to be a huge success, so that showed them.image

I hope that is sarcasm.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I hope that is sarcasm.

i didnt think i was being all that subtle tbh image

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

As usual, the setup to polarize the audience for X vs Z is waaaaay too far in advance.

Suspect they'll never really compete, in any meaningful way.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I hope that is sarcasm.

i didnt think i was being all that subtle tbh image

Well i've read comments like this and the person who wrote them was serious so, you just never know on here.

Oddly enough, the graphics in SWTOR are slightly better than Dragon Age: Origins, yet the latter went on to become IGN's Game of the Year 2009. Then again, neither MMORPG nor IGN are known for their fair reviews. If you base your main interest on a game for it's graphics, you should be prepared to cry about it pretty often, because every year another game will come out with even more 'amazing' graphics. WildStar on the other hand, doesn't have much to compare it with, and as far as visual aesthetics go, it's quite impressive.

Keep on crying, my friends.~

• AvridAvrid Member Posts: 7

I really don't see how you can compare the 2 games when one of them only has a working title and no other information out there. 

ask again when SOE  finally decides to give some actual  details, instead of vague general statements

Originally posted by Avrid

I really don't see how you can compare the 2 games when one of them only has a working title and no other information out there. 

ask again when SOE  finally decides to give some actual  details, instead of vague general statements

Because 'fanboyism' is strong in the MMO community. I enjoyed EQ II, but it's not exactly any more revolutionary than the next MMO out there. If people believe that SOE is the greatest MMO developer in history, that's their concern.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Latronus

Originally posted by DeaconX I would be FAR more interested in Wildstar if it didn't look like a blocky children's cartoon.
    I remember a bunch of peeps saying the same about WoW some years ago.  How'd that work out again?

wildstar looks much more cartooney than wow does, wildstar looks like you are playing in a cartoon world.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    EQN will be a console RPG with MMO touch, like DCUO. it will be huge let down for people who are hyped about that game. SOE is not the kind of company that will spend money to make a game more fluid for PC; DCUO is a good example of how they do things when it comes to a multiplatform game. don't get your hopes up.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.