Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is just

BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

A pleasant surprise.

I personally am very happy about what I see with this game. I've really enjoyed playing the last 2 days. I'm so surprised after all the negativity I heard from the CBT players.

A few things about this game I really enjoy:

1. I'm not there yet.. but community instanced housing. I can go into your house if we're in the same neighborhood. They said this will also lead to pvp scenarios down the line

2. ALMOST ALL GEAR HAS A UNIQUE APPEARANCE. After playing games like rift, tera, and god knows how many others I get so sick of 30 different armors but only 3 models. I haven't seen a duplicate yet thus far in the game and I'm only level 20. So they even switch up the noob armor look wooot.

3. Dragon system/pen. It looks like it's going to be so simple and generic, but there's so much more to it. I was under the impression that all dragons had the same ability... but they don't. dragon a could be the same name/kind of dragon as dragon b but have all different abilities. And they have their own "elite skills" where they perform certain processes better than others and farm for you while you're out adventuring/offline. Awesome.

4. Combat. I thought this was going to suck tbh, but it's like a more indepth TERA. IT IS NOT AS ACCURATE as a game like TERA. I find myself being behind a monster and being attacked quite often. BUT the skill combos are not only damn cool, but very useful.

5. Achievements/repeatable quests. Wait what repeatable quests? You get items to buy stuff off the cash shop from doing repeatables. Sayyy whaaaaaaa?!? Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Without even an attempt at farming I'm already up to 100 dragons seashell looking currency (sorry offline and can't remember exact name) which is enough to buy a few things already.

what I don't enjoy:

1. Okay new quest objective is.... SYS81048_ISJF Alright! I know exactly what to do. I know the quests are self explanatory, but this is really annoying. This is like stuff they should have fixed in alpha.

2. The need to level up charisma. I'm a tank, but I want a dragon. No problem. I'm a tank, but I want a RARE dragon. Problem. I spent over an hour last night trying to capture the rare dragon lockjaw. I bought food, which sat me at around 79 chr for a level 22 dragon. I understand it should be hard, but the amount of rage I had. I was already reaching for my card to buy cash shop dragon capture potions but I just shut the game off instead. (very smart move SOE as it's already the #1 seller haha). Now my 79 chr is only 3 points behind my str, and 6 behind my constitution. As any class this kind of sucks. I understand it's a privilege to have a Rare dragon, but I shouldn't have to base my character around it.

3. crafting mats. So if you don't npc your items you're going to fill up your bag about every 10 minutes. What do with items? Craft. Which sounds great until you get to the crafting tables and notice that although you're 40/40 and your bank is full too with crafting mats... you can't craft anything. I always have issues getting enough of certain mats here and there to craft. Frustrating to me at least. (and yes I have dragons farming me mats at least 2/5 hours of their process.

4. Group finder. Is this thing broke? No one I've talked to (guild included) has had a single party being made from this. It also feels like even though OB just started people aren't even taking time to do the dungeons as they level (something I actually really enjoyed in WoW)

5. The bulky character designs. You can customize your own, but when you first open up the create-a-character you see some guy that looks like a white version of the 1980's live action tv show hulk. I thought the game was going to have awful graphics at first and all the models be ugly due to not only this, but the lousy look of all the characters in the tutorial. (not a big deal, but I'm starting to reach for things I don't like)

6. 4 Classes. I feel we could use a healer. I know dragon souls can give you the ability to heal, but I'd like a healing class. It would also be nice to have a thief sort of class in there as well. Also... wtf gunblades? No knives/daggers in game but there are gunblades lol

Only level 20, but this is the best experience for a new mmo I've played in a long while.

Comments

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

I agree that this is better than expected. Skill actually matters in combat, at least for my mage. For instance, when I battled the first dungeon boss, I was repeatedly killed until I actually started dodging his moves at the right time, kiting him and slowly wearing him down, while refreshing my earth shield when it broke. So you actually need to use your brain and adapt to the monster's fighting style, while making good use of your various skills for their utility and not just damage.

I still need more time to discover the game in depth (i'm only lvl 15), and it does have some obvious flaws, but right now I would actually recommend to at least try it. My first impression wasn't very good but after playing it a bit more, I think that there is more than meets the eye.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"around 79 chr for a level 22 dragon"

Very doable. Do you press one key at a time or are you using WA, AS, SD, WD? Moving on angles makes the game much easier.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Very doable. Do you press one key at a time or are you using WA, AS, SD, WD? Moving on angles makes the game much easier.

i'm like pounding w,a,s,d. :(

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Blazeyer
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

i'm like pounding w,a,s,d. :(

A lot of the movement is on angles, so try to use the combinations to move on angles as well. As soon as you start drifting toward the center, begin compensating with the opposite direction to slow down and reverse direction.

Good luck!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I agree.

When i first launched the game I have to admit I was not overly impressed, but after giving it a chance it actually did get my interest, graphics are mediocre but decent enough.

I think the on thing that is making me lose my drive to keep playing is the questing, at lvl 19 its getting very repetitive.

But for a F2P title its very good, it and Neverwinter should carry the F2P market for sometime.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47

I play on Dragon's Prophet EU. The only REALLY REALLY annoying thing is the max inventory slots and bank slots. I loot and gather everything I see, but I'm constantly running out of space in both inventory & bank slots. It's so frustrating that I need to trash my loot every 5 - 10 minutes.

The F2P is one of the best but seriously the inventory slots are killing me. and I doubt it will get any better later on.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by codifier

I play on Dragon's Prophet EU. The only REALLY REALLY annoying thing is the max inventory slots and bank slots. I loot and gather everything I see, but I'm constantly running out of space in both inventory & bank slots. It's so frustrating that I need to trash my loot every 5 - 10 minutes.

The F2P is one of the best but seriously the inventory slots are killing me. and I doubt it will get any better later on.

this is an intended barrier from the devs to milk u bro , sry, want to avoid it?, visit our cash shop and ur problems will be over... for now at least.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

this is an intended barrier from the devs to milk u bro , sry, want to avoid it?, visit our cash shop and ur problems will be over... for now at least.

Oh no! You might have to drop $10 on a video game you played for 80 hours!

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by colddog04

More like $20 for a game you have played for an hour, just so you don't pull your hair out. You want to craft.?  Pay another $50 for the bank space to facilitate that.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Originally posted by colddog04

More like $20 for a game you have played for an hour, just so you don't pull your hair out. You want to craft.?  Pay another $50 for the bank space to facilitate that.

and its not just bank space, start looking at higher end crafting ... hell upper end anything in this game and you will be paying at some point.

i say this as someone who, so far has been a fan of the game. if you have not played an SOE f2p then keep in mind that occasionally they offer 2x or even 3x Station Cash buys. wait till then and buy you'll be happy you did.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by aspekx

i say this as someone who, so far has been a fan of the game. if you have not played an SOE f2p then keep in mind that occasionally they offer 2x or even 3x Station Cash buys. wait till then and buy you'll be happy you did.

This is so very, very true.

I got my dragon lord pack at the end for $67 instead of $90, and it still had $90 of SOE cash (= 9000 SOE cash, I play EQ2 as well so nice savings).

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

You get some free slots at lvl 10 and 20 I think, but yea you do loot so much trash, plus quest items, that it's really annoying.

• 190100190100 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Salenger

But for a F2P title its very good, it and Neverwinter should carry the F2P market for sometime.

No. Just no. The only remotely half-decent f2ps are Aion and TERA (don't take this as praise, they're still kinda crap), as well as private L2 servers running old pre-karma-system-change server software.

Neverwinter is more PWE/Cryptic rubbish run by morons not even worth the development cost, and this game is clunky and the cash shop seems every bit as P2W as terrible games from PWE.

Why do people praise such terrible games? I only had to look at this game's cash shop to tell it was bad. A couple levels showed how clunky it is compared to TERA. A video review showed that the later levels aren't much better either.

• OnkiniOnkini Member Posts: 5

Dragon's Prophet's animations aren't quite as appealing, and while I'm not one to complain about such things usually (I'm more than fine with The Secret World's, for example), these could stand another coat or two of polish.

The troubled animations are particularly noticeable in an action combat game where you look at your character more than you look at your hotbar cooldowns. It's also unfortunate for Dragon's Prophet that I've just come off two weeks of playing TERA at length, and if there's a poster child for marrying action combat, animations, and slick visuals the right way, TERA is it. DP's occasional hitching and stuttering isn't a gamebreaker for me personally, but if I noticed it, more discerning animation aficionados surely will too.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by 190100
    Originally posted by Salenger

Why do people praise such terrible games? I only had to look at this game's cash shop to tell it was bad. A couple levels showed how clunky it is compared to TERA. A video review showed that the later levels aren't much better either.

Stop looking at cash shops in F2P games, then. Make your impression of it by playing it. 

As for why people praise it... look around you. It's in the top 5 games currently near release / open beta, regardless of paying model. 

Personally, I hate it. It has nothing to do with the cash shop. The combat sucks. Absolutely sucks, compared to TERA and Neverwinter. You go through monsters, attacking roots you, you attack THROUGH a monster because it's too close and it hits you from the back, the ranger skills have a nasty delay. 

I can sorta ignore the quest text localization issues - even if the quest text was there it would be a waste of time to read it - and I can grind my teeth through cutscenes that can't make up their minds what to say, even though both of these shouldn't be in a game that claims to be OPEN Beta. 

A second big issue is the old "monsters are just sorta hanging around everywhere without any reason." Granted, this happens in pretty much any MMORPG... but in the more recent ones, they at least try to give reasons for it. GW2 has the constant occupy-by-centaur/whatever gimmick, in Neverwinter it's various gangs and creatures and so on. There's an actual reason for most of the places you go being infested/under attack. Here it's just... "Oh, and you have to go from this town to that town. Mind the EVERYTHING that will try to eat you."

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48

This game is sad.  I have wasted my time downloading it.  The only part of the game that is enjoyable is the "idea" of having dragons.  After that, everything goes downhill, and I mean everything.  Graphics - Suck!  Sound - Sucks!  Animations - Super Suck!  And then we get to the in game cut scenes.  Please poke your eyes out, it will feel better than watching these cut scenes.

It is free to play.  I guess that's it's upside because they knew nobody would play it if they had to pay.

PS:  I would wait for something better.