Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley Teases EQNext Design-in-Progress Pic

2»

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Slukjan
    they made EQ classic, which was great...and SWG which was pretty awesome too.  hope they make EQN a nice mix of the two.

You are forgetting that they ruined both of those with their "vision". One was ignored to death and did not innovate or offer anything much new and thus withered, and the other was killed in the quest to copy WoW. So, even on the off chance SOE makes a good game with EQN, what are the chances they don't wreck it?

ignored to death?  The game has like 17 expansions now and has hardly been static throughout them.  

Anyone who thinks EQ has ever been remotely ignored is clueless.

As for SWG, Lucas Arts wont be involved with EQN

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Tierless

I hope EQ Nex revitalizes sandboxes, but my cash grab senses are tingling...

Because you see quality and you think $$$.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
    Originally posted by dgarbini
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Its hard to tell if thats a workplace or a daycare with that many toys.  Why does the tech industry have such a lack of professionalism?

They are video game developers not accountants.

And this is why nothing ever gets done on time, why so typically they under deliver or screw up.  To the other posters as well, you honestly thing those are all involved with 'work'?  Seriously?  Work is not play, you want to do that go home.  The games I would make would be done on time and include everything I promised.  But I said tech industry not games, this includes places like Google as well.  To busy playing around to be productive.  This is actually serious business with lots and lots of money involved, it should be taken seriously.  This is why there are so many huge screw ups in the tech industry.  No wonder they are all being replaced with H1B visas and outsourced, and why many parts of the tech industry are considered a joke by more established industries.

So you want games to be made by uptight, dull suits with sticks up their ass instead of people that look like they are all about creativity and fun?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Lucasarts can't be blamed fully for SWG's demise.

They had their say in it yes, fact is that this particular game was mismanaged from day 1 and founded on lies and deceit.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Lucasarts can't be blamed fully for SWG's demise.

They had their say in it yes, fact is that this particular game was mismanaged from day 1 and founded on lies and deceit.

it wasnt founded on lies and deceit, get your damn head out of your ass will you?

It *was* pushed out the door at least 6 months too soon by the publisher (Lucas Arts)

The combat/balance of the game was always among the worst in MMORPG history, full of good ideas not properly executed

SoE wasn't happy with the results post-WoW, but nobody knew then that WoW was an anomaly.

SoE was probably behind the CU.

Beyond that, the only thing you can really blame SoE for is not having a spine and telling LA to fuck off with pushing out the NGE right after an expansion.  they should have made a stand, if LA pulled the license so be it.  But of course hindsight is 20/20 and they probably thought it would work out in the long run anyway.

it wasnt founded on lies and deceit, get your damn head out of your ass will you?

It *was* pushed out the door at least 6 months too soon by the publisher (Lucas Arts)

The combat/balance of the game was always among the worst in MMORPG history, full of good ideas not properly executed

SoE wasn't happy with the results post-WoW, but nobody knew then that WoW was an anomaly.

SoE was probably behind the CU.

Beyond that, the only thing you can really blame SoE for is not having a spine and telling LA to fuck off with pushing out the NGE right after an expansion.  they should have made a stand, if LA pulled the license so be it.  But of course hindsight is 20/20 and they probably thought it would work out in the long run anyway.

Take it easy Smedley fanboi.

Like I told you LA is also to blame, but SOE as well with their very poor customer service, lying to the fanbase, very bad coding and performance of the game.

+ releasing fake videos at fanfest of 'future content' which they knew would never come ingame is a death sin, lying to customers is the worst thing you can do when you're in business.

Also releasing roadmaps, selling an expansion when you know you are screwing over the entire fanbase 2w after that is a no-go in business.

Hindsight? yes of course.

But also I call it 'past experience' with Smedley's squad. That's why I advise ppl to not go blind and go all 'oooooh aaaaaaaaah droooooooool' until you see the working product. He has done it before so personally I am cautious with stuff released like that untill I see more.

You are obvious very protective towards EQN as I am pessimistic about the trustworthy of mr Smedley.

If I made you very emo, too bad, this is a forum, you get to say your thing, I get to say my thing.

I do hope he makes a good product this time though and can prove me wrong.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Also releasing roadmaps, selling an expansion when you know you are screwing over the entire fanbase 2w after that is a no-go in business.

This is the exact type of thing thats lucas arts, not SoE.   Again, you can blame SoE for not standing up to LA but you are blaming them for the wrong things.   They shouldnt have released the expansion until they knew if NGE was happening or not (and we know that the programmers had no clue it was going live when it did) but that wasn't their call.  they could have stonewalled it though but realistically they probably didnt have that luxury...SoE can afford to never work with star wars again but Sony as a whole wouldnt want bad blood with LA.

This is the exact type of thing thats lucas arts, not SoE.   Again, you can blame SoE for not standing up to LA but you are blaming them for the wrong things.   They shouldnt have released the expansion until they knew if NGE was happening or not (and we know that the programmers had no clue it was going live when it did) but that wasn't their call.  they could have stonewalled it though but realistically they probably didnt have that luxury...SoE can afford to never work with star wars again but Sony as a whole wouldnt want bad blood with LA.

We will see how it all pans out.

I hope you're right and this game turns out to be a benchmark for tomorrow's MMO's instead of that Blizzard game. This genre needs help dearly.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Its hard to tell if thats a workplace or a daycare with that many toys.  Why does the tech industry have such a lack of professionalism?

id rather have fun

pic of a blizzard office from their career site http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/

So jelly. On topic, pics look cool. I wonder if they will be at E3.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    even on the off chance SOE makes a good game with EQN, what are the chances they don't wreck it?

I wont deny SOE has a poor history of spoiling games post launch  heh

But you know...find one game company, anywhere, that doesn't.

Game A evolves through Expansion X ("You know, I liked good old plain game A better")

Expansion Y "What the hell were you thinking? Your *core* players are all very upset... (ever notice *self* is always one of *core*?)

Expansion Z "That does it, this game is totally different, I quit."

---

Proceed to Game B. Begin sequence again.

---

Proceed to games C though J.

"Man, I really liked early Game A better. Can you reboot that?"

---

Proceed to Game K (the reboot)

"Man, I really liked early Game A better."

---

Proceed to Game L (reboot of the reboot)...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Those models look quite good.  Let's hope we'll see similar quality at launch. 

that pic looks very similar to the model animations that were seen on the web 2 years ago

but then taken down

http://eq2wire.com/2011/01/26/first-eqnext-video-with-character-model-game-assets/

Thanks to a tip, EQ2Wire has located the first high quality video of EQnext character models in action. The video includes a series of character animation loops with sound effects. A human male knight, followed by a skeletal warrior, and an orc are shown fighting and doing other emotes.

The pics you are referencing in the article from two years ago are cartoony....just as all the comments from  the article are saying. In fact, I tend to agree with the comments from that article that those photos from two years ago look very "World of Warcraft." Maybe you and I are looking at different photos from that article, but I don't see any similarity whatsoever in comparison with this animation you have posted above from Twitter to the "cartoony-ness" of those pics from two years ago from the article two years ago.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone know of any actual sandbox features to be included in the game?  I have heard the word sandbox tossed around a lot but the only feature I know of is player created content.  While that is sandboxy-ish, I'd not consider Neverwinter or STO a sandbox for it.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by nerovipus32 Originally posted by dgarbini Its hard to tell if thats a workplace or a daycare with that many toys.  Why does the tech industry have such a lack of professionalism?
    They are video game developers not accountants.
    And this is why nothing ever gets done on time, why so typically they under deliver or screw up.  To the other posters as well, you honestly thing those are all involved with 'work'?  Seriously?  Work is not play, you want to do that go home.  The games I would make would be done on time and include everything I promised.  But I said tech industry not games, this includes places like Google as well.  To busy playing around to be productive.  This is actually serious business with lots and lots of money involved, it should be taken seriously.  This is why there are so many huge screw ups in the tech industry.  No wonder they are all being replaced with H1B visas and outsourced, and why many parts of the tech industry are considered a joke by more established industries.

Well said, and perfectly logical; which is why you will get flamed by all the 'brilliant' minds here rofl.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Nearly every game developer has toys and gadgets ALL over the work place. They have couches, lounges and game rooms for relaxation and team building. The reason behind this is because they work very long hours in a tight team environment and also require a great deal of mental stimulation to do repetitive tasks and to also build imagination as that is a huge part of their job.

I've been in more than one developers office due to having contracts for IT support (Bioware Edmonton for example) and each place is exactly like that picture. As long as they keep it clean they can have every toy under the sun to help make them feel at home and happy in their job (hell, they even have beer on the job some Friday afternoons and a patio party after). Game developers are part of a culture and it is VERY different than your typical 9-5 where everyone has to look clean and normal due to the diversity of workers. Developers are geeks and often hardcore geeks and their needs on the job are dramatically different. They often tend to be people who wouldn't fit into "normal" jobs.

Frankly I find you saying, "Why does the tech industry have such a lack of professionalism?" an ignorant question and completely out of touch with the creative process they are trying to do. It is like saying an artist is not professional because they don't conform to "normal" work habits.

You stay sassy!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    they made EQ classic, which was great...and SWG which was pretty awesome too.  hope they make EQN a nice mix of the two.

You are forgetting that they ruined both of those with their "vision". One was ignored to death and did not innovate or offer anything much new and thus withered, and the other was killed in the quest to copy WoW. So, even on the off chance SOE makes a good game with EQN, what are the chances they don't wreck it?

Oh well i guess you won't be playing the game, no one is forcing you to follow the game.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I personally feel it will be a F2P MMO and be similar to all the other releases in the last 5 years. I don't think they will capture all the old mechanics that were ahead of their time from back in the day.  I feel a cash grab is coming kind of like EQ2 (EQ2 was terrible imo)
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Actually verant (namely Brad McQuaid and his 2 pals) made EQ classic, and Sony published it.  One could argue that they hired Verant, but since EQ classic and SWG pre-cu, no MMOs worth playing have come directly from SOE.

Not that I don't have my hopes way up that SOE will turn it around with EQN, but lets be honest about who were dealing with here.  

Speaking of McQuaid, I'd personally feel better if they'd bring him back for creative direction on the project.  Even after mismanaging Vanguard, ex-Sigil employees couldn't deny how talented he was.  The talent that made classic EQ and an amazing half finished Vanguard would give me hope for EQ Next.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

IMO, The Creative Assembly is the best dev house, by far. I'd like to see what work environment they rock.

Originally posted by Dullahan
    ...Speaking of McQuaid, I'd personally feel better if they'd bring him back for creative direction on the project. Even after mismanaging Vanguard, ex-Sigil employees couldn't deny how talented he was. The talent that made classic EQ and an amazing half finished Vanguard would give me hope for EQ Next.

Agreed. Microsoft pulled the plug on Vanguard at $15 million, forcing Vanguard to scramble and "wowify." With proper support (and endless blizzard-esque marketing) I have no doubt Vanguard would've been a blockbuster.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit